Navigate Up
Sign In
Graduate & Professional Students
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) strives to meet the needs of UC graduate and professional students for study abroad. Successful study abroad includes the input of the applicant, the graduate advisor(s), the Study Center, the partner institution, and the UCEAP Systemwide Office.
Unless stated otherwise, the term graduate student refers to both graduate and professional students.


Graduate students must meet UCEAP application requirements, have completed at least one year of graduate work, and have the support of their academic department, graduate advisor or dissertation committee chair, and Graduate Division to apply.
Students who have completed less than one year of academic work in residence on a UC campus by the time of UCEAP participation must petition their home campus for a waiver of the residency rule for graduate students.
Graduate applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA or the minimum GPA required by the specific program, whichever is higher.
Graduate students must be enrolled in one or more courses for UC credit. A graduate student enrolled in independent study or research while on UCEAP, must be appropriately supervised by some faculty member(s) of the host institution.
Graduate students must carry a minimum number of units during the academic year to qualify for Financial Aid (to be eligible to receive Federal funds). See your campus Financial Aid office and your graduate division for the minimum number of units required by your campus.
The minimum load to qualify for UC full-time status as a graduate student depends on the student's home campus requirements and may range from 4 to 12 UC quarter units per quarter (12 to 36 UC quarter units per year). The required units must be indicated on the Graduate Student Agreement (GSAG) by the student’s graduate advisor.
In programs where the UCEAP application indicates that a GPIF is not required, graduate students are held to the same course, unit, and grading option requirements as undergraduates for that program.

Graduate students are expected to be familiar with their department and Graduate Division home campus requirements prior to departure, as well as any additional requirements imposed by fellowships and other financial assistance.

Graduate students should consult with their UC Campus Study Abroad Office​ prior to submitting an application. All documents are submitted to the country or program study abroad advisor at your UC Campus Study Abroad Office.​​
Step 1
Review the requirements for graduate students on the Overview tab.
Step 2
Investigate UCEAP programs. The Eligibility tab for each program indicates if the program is open to graduate students. The class level must show Graduate. Example
Step 3
Discuss programs of interest with your graduate advisor and/or campus study abroad advisor.
Step 4
Determine if a Graduate Preliminary Inquiry form (GPIF) is required for your desired program. The form includes instructions and a list of programs which do not require the GPIF.
Step 5
If the GPIF is not required​, go to Step 6
If required, submit the GPIF to the Campus Study Abroad Office with a statement of intent. This procedure is to assess the feasibility of the graduate student's proposed activities at the study site abroad. The UCEAP Systemwide Office will notify the Campus Study Abroad Office when the student is approved or not approved to complete the MyEAP on-line application.
If the GPIF is not approved, go back to Step 2 to search for alternative programs.
Step 6
Complete and submit the MyEAP online application by the application deadline per campus requirements.
Step 7
Complete the Graduate and Professional Student Agreement and Academic Planning (GSAG) ​form.
There are separate UCEAP academic regulations concerning graduate students. Graduate students generally follow their departmental or campus instructions as officially stipulated on the GSAG.
The GSAG is required for graduate students in most programs. Certain language and culture programs and programs with set curriculums do not require the GSAG. These are typically the programs listed on the GPIF. Graduate students in these programs are held to the same requirements as undergraduates in terms of courses, units, and grading options.
If the GSAG is required, it will be indicated on the MyEAP Application Checklist.


Graduate students can be accommodated at many UCEAP-affiliated host universities for up to one year.
Use the following resources to learn more about Programs on UCEAP:
  • Programs open to graduate students
    Not all programs open to graduate students have graduate-level coursework or opportunities for research or independent study. In many programs, especially language and culture programs, graduates do the same coursework as undergraduates.

  • Language and Culture Programs
    Not all are open to graduate students, check eligibility tabs.

Graduate Programs

Below are programs specifically designed for graduate students and MBA programs that offer a wide variety of courses and unique opportunities for graduate students. 

Graduate Student Instructors (GSI), UC Center in Paris, France

Graduate students funded by their campuses (UC Berkeley, Los Angeles, and Santa Cruz) assist in the Paris Center’s fall academic program while they pursue their dissertation research. The UC Center in Paris offers a program in French and European Studies for UC undergraduates taught in English. See your campus study abroad office for details. 

International Relations, ​​University of Tokyo, Japan

Students from UCSD School of Global Policy and Strategy enroll in courses at the University of Tokyo Graduate School of Public Policy. Courses are taught in English. 

MBA Programs

UC MBA students may study at certain UCEAP partner institutions.  Eligibility depends on conditions set by the schools at the participating UC campuses.
  • UC Irvine: Paul Merage School of Business. Students are eligible for the fall term (quarter or semester) of their second year. More information...
  • Discussions are underway with other UC campuses. Information will be posted here as it becomes available.

Where coursework is not in English, noted below, students are advised (and may be required) to attend the program’s Intensive Language Program (ILP), which provides coursework in the language and culture of the host country prior to the regular term.

Some partners have specific programs for MBA students with separate MyEAP applications. Other partners include MBA students in the regular program and graduate students apply to the regular program in MyEAP.

Pontifical Catholic University, Santiago, Chile

The MBA program is administered by the School of Business. The curriculum includes a variety of courses in the areas of Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Human Resources, and Legal Aspects. It also focuses on Social Responsibility and Management Ethics, Corporate Governance, and Entrepreneurship. 

Courses are taught in Spanish and all students are required to take the three-week Spanish intensive language program (ILP). 


MBA Studies, Fudan University, China

The MBA program offers a range of courses that offer a unique perspective of business within and with China. Courses are taught in English.

MBA Studies, Chinese University of Hong Kong

The MBA program at CUHK is administered by the Faculty of Business Administration. It offers three concentration options: China Business; Finance; and Marketing. Courses are offered through the faculty’s four departments: Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics; Finance; Management; and Marketing. Courses are taught in English.

University of Commerce Luigi Bocconi, Italy

Bocconi offers Master​’s programs such as International Management and Marketing Management. Within these programs, there are also “majors” (areas of specialization) such as: entrepreneurship and small and medium size companies; management of fashion and design firms; global operations and supply chain management; management consulting; multinational companies; and more. Courses are taught in Italian and English. While it is possible to take all course work in English, all students are still required to take the four-week Italian intensive language program (ILP).

As a UCEAP exchange student, you will be placed in a Master of Science (MSc) program. The Bocconi SDA School of Management that issues MBA degrees is a separate school and you are not guaranteed access to their courses. You will apply to the MBA courses separately and, if approved, you will only be able to take 5 modules total. The MBA modules are worth 2.5 quarter/1.7 semester units each. You will supplement these courses with MSc courses.

Yonsei University, Korea

The Global MBA program is administered by the Graduate School of Business. It offers a wide range of courses in a variety of business fields. Courses are taught in English.

Business & Economics, Maastricht University, Netherlands

The Maastricht University, School of Business and Economics offers Master’s programs such as International Business, Financial Economics, and Econometrics. While most courses are taught in English, all students are required to take the three-week Dutch Language and Culture course (DLC).

National University of Singapore

The MBA program is administered by the NUS Business School. It offers five areas of specialization: Finance, Marketing, Strategy and Organization, Real Estate, and Healthcare Management. Courses are offered through the school’s five departments: Business Policy, Decision Sciences, Finance and Accounting, Management and Organization, and Marketing. Courses are taught in English.

Independent Study or Directed Research

Some Programs can accommodate independent study or directed research. The Graduate Preliminary Inquiry form (GPIF) is used to determine if student requests can be accommodated.
UCEAP requires graduate students conducting independent study or directed research to have a host university mentor; the Study Center Director may be able to serve as on-site mentor in some circumstances. In addition, UCEAP assumes that participating UC graduate students will continue to be supervised by their UC graduate advisors via email or other methods.
Graduate students concentrating on research submit proposals to the UCEAP Systemwide Office and the supervising UC professor during application. UCEAP forwards the proposal to the Study Center, who may forward host university responses directly to the student or through UCEAP.
The work of the graduate student on UCEAP will be evaluated by the host university mentor, and this evaluation will be passed to the Study Center Director and UCEAP. Depending on the arrangements made with the student’s home UC campus advisor, the final assessment may be made by the UC faculty advisor or by the Study Center Director.
Graduate students considering independent study or directed research on UCEAP should discuss their plans with their UC advisor and check with the campus study abroad office for details.
UCEAP has five types of special study projects for graduate students:
292—Special Study Independent Study Projects
295—Special Study: Directed Reading
296—Master’s Level Thesis Research
297—Special Study: Internship
596—PhD Dissertation Research
A Graduate Preliminary Inquiry form (GPIF) and a Graduate Student Agreement (GSAG) are required for all types of special study projects for graduate students.
A Special Study Project form is also required. In some cases, this will be completed with the UC faculty supervisor prior to the start of the program.