Navigate Up
Sign In
University of London, Royal Holloway
This program allows you to become fully integrated into the academic and social life of Royal Holloway, University of London. Fall, spring, and year options are open to you.
You enroll in 4 courses at Royal Holloway, and you have the opportunity to take courses in all 19 academic departments. The departments are grouped into three faculties:
  • Arts & Social Sciences (Classics & Philosophy, Drama & Theater, English, History, Media Arts, Modern Languages, Literatures & Cultures, Music, Politics & International Relations)
  • Management & Economics (Criminology & Sociology, Management, Economics)
  • Science (Biological Sciences, Computer Sciences, Earth Sciences, Geography, Information Security, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology)
Outstanding departments at Royal Holloway are History, English, Drama, and Politics & International Relations.
Use the following resources to learn about courses on UCEAP:
  • Make sure to check the Academic Guide for all English Universities to see if University of London, Royal Holloway offers the subject areas you want to study.
  • University of London, Royal Holloway – course options for visiting students
  • MyEAP Course Catalog lists courses previously taken by UCEAP students. This is a new program and courses are not yet listed.
  • The Program Guide provides detailed information about the English Universities program.
You are required to take a full-time course of study while abroad: 21-24 quarter/14-16 semester UC units per semester; usually 4 courses or 2 Royal Holloway, University of London units. A total of 42-48 quarter/28-32 semester UC units are required per year.
Research and Independent Study
Independent study or research for academic credit may be possible. Arrangements are generally made after arrival at the host institution, although in some cases predeparture preparation may be required. A UCEAP Special Study Research Project would be in addition to a full course load.  
Royal Holloway, University of London (RHC or RHUL) has three faculties, 18 academic departments, and about 9,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students from over 100 different countries. Royal Holloway is particularly strong in arts and humanities, and admission into programs in English, Creative Writing, Psychology and Music are very competitive. Among the University’s most highly ranked departments are Music, Biological Sciences, Economics, International Relations, German, Psychology, Physics, Media Arts, Geography, Drama, and Earth Sciences.

Test Drive Your Future

Internships abroad are a great way to enhance your resume for today’s competitive job market. Stand out from your peers, gain hands-on experience, and develop your global professional network.
Important: Your ability to participate in any internship in the U.K. either for academic credit or life experience depends upon obtaining the correct Tier 4 Student Visa before departure. You must request a CAS number from the host university after acceptance.  The CAS number is needed in order to apply for the Tier 4 Student Visa.   
A UCEAP Special Study Internship Project would be in addition to a full course load.

1. Internships found through the UCEAP London Study Center

Become engaged in internships through the resources of the London Study Center. The Study Center has information on possible internships in the community, including some in the summer after the end of a year program. According to U.K. visa regulations, only year program students will be able to remain in the U.K. long enough to participate in a summer internship. However, fall or spring students can participate in an internship during the fall or spring term.
Setting Up Your Internship: Contact the London Study Center and submit a resume or CV and a cover letter. The Study Center can assist by writing a letter of recommendation for you, if needed by the internship provider.

2. Student - initiated internships

Be creative and design your own internship. Participants have interned at cultural events, at various city councils, and communication companies such as the BBC. These internships are frequently not for academic credit; however, if your internship is substantial you can request credit by following these three steps.
Setting Up Your Internship: Contact companies and organizations that align with your interest.  Career Development Offices on campus offer excellent guidance on resume or CV and cover letter writing. For students who wish to start the internship search prior to departure, we recommend looking at the host institution's online career resources. 
Student Experiences:
"...I decided I wanted to go into public relations. I began by researching all the PR agencies located in Leeds, looking at their websites and blogs to get a sense of the company and whether they would be open to accepting interns. I eventually found a company called MCG PR, a team of women who specialized in public relations for consumer products. [...] Inspired, I started writing a cover letter to them, describing my goals and relating to the post about how it had solidified the notion of my wanting to try my hand at public relations. Working in a tea-induced frenzy, I attached my CV and sent an email to them. The next day, Sarah, one of the partners of MCG, emailed me and asked for my availability, beginning one of the best experiences I’ve had so far while studying abroad. "
Teresa Chang (U.K.-England, University of Leeds, 2012/13)
Most English universities guarantee housing for Year students if the housing application deadline is met, but semester students cannot always be accommodated. All the universities have resources for students to use in finding housing in the community. Additional housing information is available by clicking on the host institution link under the Courses and Credit tab.
More Information on Housing
The campus is located Egham, Surrey, within the boundary of the Greater London Urban Area, about 19 miles from central London and seven miles from Heathrow Airport. Royal Holloway is frequently named as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. The Founder’s Building is particularly spectacular. It is home to the famous Picture Gallery containing Thomas Holloway’s fine collection of Victorian paintings and the beautiful chapel.
Students are encouraged to participate in sports, clubs, and social activities offered on campus and in the community. This is the best way to meet local people and enjoy the cultural experience of this program. Additional information is available by clicking on the host institution link under the Courses and Credit tab.
Internships may be available in the summer following the year program. Students must already have the Tier 4 Student Visa and are responsible to make their own internship arrangements. However, the UCEAP Study Center can help identify and approach the company, provide a letter of recommendation, and help with the required application or resume.