Navigate Up
Sign In
International Christian Univ.

Study Abroad Program Overview

Study abroad in suburban Tokyo and become part of the academic and social life at International Christian University (ICU), UCEAP’s longest standing partner university in Japan. An ICU academic hallmark is its emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches, small class size, and rigorous Japanese language instruction.

The lovely bilingual (English & Japanese) campus is ideal for students with limited or no Japanese language ability who need coursework taught in English. It is also a good location for those who wish to study and live alongside local and international students in a traditional Japanese academic community. 

Find out more from a former UCEAP student! ​​​​

Students attend classes with international and/or host country students.

Language of Instruction

English; Japanese

Language Study

  language study is optional. The Step-by-Step beginning Japanese language course is recommended for students with minimal Japanese language background.

Students need to learn hiragana prior to the start of this program in order to be prepared to take Japanese language courses. 


Go to the Participants section to see current or past calendars.  

Fall :  
​late August to mid-November

Summer + Fall :  
​early July to mid-November

Year :  
​late August to late June

Summer + Year :  
​early July to late June

Spring :  
early April to late June 




​Students from UC semester campuses (Berkeley and Merced) should apply for longer term options (Year, Summer + Year, Summer + Fall or the Spring +  Internship) to earn required semester term credits.  ​


​UC students live on campus in shared rooms and have a wide choice of dorms. One example for year-long students is Global House. Fall and spring term students live in Dialogue House. You may also make arrangements to live off campus.

Extracurricular Activities

ICU offers a rich variety of student club activities such as martial arts, sports, tea ceremony, drama, music, dance, flower arranging, etc. Student clubs are an excellent way to meet local students and practice Japanese.

On-site Support

UCEAP students are supported by UC’s network of study abroad offices at every UC campus and partnerships with EAP host universities throughout the world. UC faculty and local staff abroad help students integrate into the culture of Japan and provide assistance with academics, housing, safety, and other issues.​

The University of California Tokyo Study Center, located on the ICU campus, provides an enriching, educational, and safe experience for UCEAP students who study at many Japanese host universities.

​See the UCEAP Program Guide for program-specific details about host institutions, program structure, and courses; academic culture and conduct; internships, research, & independent study; units, exams, and grades; orientation; and housing.

Course Opportunities

International Christian University (ICU) provides courses taught in English or Japanese or intensive Japanese language study. 
ICU coursework taught in English is available in humanities and social sciences. Strong fields include Japanese literature, linguistics, history, art history, and international relations. Of special note are Japanese area studies, with courses in art history, communication, cultural studies, media, sociology, history, politics, and society. Students in the year program may want to check out the Japan Studies Certificate Program​.
Coursework taught in Japanese is available in most fields. ICU science courses are taught in Japanese.
Intensive ​Japanese language study is available from beginning through advanced levels. Students enrolling in Japanese language take a language placement exam at the beginning of the term. The Japanese language courses are 12 UC quarter units each and students typically will only take one additional course. There is a 5 UC quarter unit course for beginning Japanese and additional lower-unit courses for advanced students. Additional non-intensive courses are not available for other levels.
Use the following resources to learn more:


You are required to take a full-time course of study while abroad.

16 quarter/10.7 semester UC units per quarter/trimester; the number of courses will vary depending on units for each course.

Course units vary, for example:

  • Most Japanese Studies courses are 4 UC quarter units each
  • Most Japanese language courses are 12 UC quarter units
  • Step-by-Step language course is 5 UC quarter units. This is for absolute beginners.
  • Other courses are 2.5 to 4 UC quarter units

Research and Independent Study

Independent research, service-learning and volunteer opportunities are arranged with the International Office or independently. Academic credit is possible for certain internship and research activities.​

International Christian University, Tokyo

International Christian University, Tokyo 
International Christian University (ICU) is a small liberal arts college with a spacious, verdant and peaceful campus in Mitaka, a western suburb of Tokyo located 40 minutes from Shinjuku, a major hub in Tokyo. It is a five-minute bike ride or ten-minute walk to local shops, restaurants and supermarkets.
ICU was founded by Japanese and North American educators shortly after World War II and has earned a reputation as a truly international university. It consists of a graduate school, research institutions, and the College of Liberal Arts, with Divisions of Education, Humanities, International Studies, Languages, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. 

Test Drive Your Future

Internships abroad are a great way to enhance your resume for today’s competitive job market. Stand out from your peers, gain hands-on experience, and develop your global professional network.


  • Business
  • Development
  • Education
  • Public relations
  • IT/Technology
  • US Embassy or Consulate
  • More opportunities
Please note-Current internship offerings may vary; you may do your own research to find additional internship opportunities.

Setting Up Your Internship

  • You are encouraged to set up your own internship prior to arrival in Japan.  If needed, the Tokyo Study Center may be able to assist you after arrival.
  • Keep in mind that deadlines for internships at the US embassy and consulate are well before your program application deadline.

Additional Information

  • Some internships are short-term during the semester break while others are ongoing during the academic year. 
  • In the past, some students have found internships with such entities as Panasonic, Asahi Beverage, and the U.S. Embassy.

Student Experiences

  • "I decided that rather than work for an international organization or in politics, I wanted to do something that I already knew I would enjoy: become a teacher." -UCSB student


Participation in UCEAP is a great value! The cost of studying abroad on UCEAP programs is typically less than that of non-UC study abroad programs. The dollar figures listed in the chart below represent an estimate of: 1) the UCEAP fees for the current year, and 2) the additional amount needed to cover your living expenses in this location. Estimates for personal travel, entertainment and Non-Resident (out of state) Fees are not included.
Keep in mind that on UCEAP you take your financial aid with you. The amount of your financial aid package will take into account the total estimated costs of this experience. One advantage of selecting UCEAP for study abroad is that we facilitate the process by working with your UC Financial Aid Office (FAO), informing them of your UCEAP participation and providing them with your UCEAP budget. Just like your UC Campus billing office, we receive your financial aid and scholarships from your FAO, apply it to cover the UCEAP program fees, and disburse any remaining aid on a set schedule.

Estimated EAP Costs *

OptionWeeksUnits (Qtr)Units (Sem)UCEAP Fees 1Additional Costs 2
L&C Summer + Fall182416$9,600$8,000
L&C Summer + Year494832$18,250$16,150
* Estimates do not include Miscellaneous Campus Fees or, if applicable, Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition, Graduate or Professional Fees. If you are subject to out-of-state tuition at your UC campus, you will pay Non-Resident Fees on UCEAP.

1 UCEAP Fees: This represents an estimate of UCEAP fees for the current year. Actual amounts will vary due to potential changes to UC fees, exchange rate fluctuation, etc. This figure includes UC tuition and fees for undergraduate, in-state residents. For a detailed breakdown of what’s included in this estimate, visit the Participants Portal and select the appropriate program. Non-Resident Fees apply: If you are subject to out-of-state tuition at your UC campus, you will pay non-resident fees on UCEAP.

2 Additional Costs: Average living expenses include but are not limited to room and board, transportation, books, supplies, and other incidentals and do not include recreational travel or entertainment. The total cost will vary depending on your personal expenses, exchange rate fluctuation, and the program you attend. For a detailed breakdown of the estimate, visit the “Cost” tab of the appropriate program.

All fees are subject to change without notice.

These expenses are estimated for 2017-18. Actual amounts will vary due to potential changes to UC fees, exchange rate fluctuation, etc. For a more detailed breakdown of 2017-18 payment information, visit the Participants Portal and select the appropriate program. Estimates do not include non-resident supplemental tuition. If you are subject to out-of-state tuition at your UC campus, you will pay non-resident fees on UCEAP.
Here’s what is included in the estimate:
  • Predeparture expenses (visa, etc.)
  • Round-trip transportation from California
  • UC fees
  • Intensive language program (if applicable)
  • Tuition at International Christian University
  • Mandatory host country health insurance
  • On-site orientation
  • Room and board
  • Program excursions
  • Books and other incidental expenses
  • Automatic transfer of credits and grades to your UC transcript​
While on UCEAP, you are covered by UC’s accident and medical insurance, including non-medical benefits, and 24/7 travel assistance anywhere in the world.​


UCEAP scholarships are available. Please visit our scholarships overview page for general information and details regarding eligibility requirements and application deadlines.​

Study abroad scholarships for Japan

There are dedicated scholarships for students studying in Japan.  See the information below and refer to this article: Top 10 Study Abroad Scholarships for Japan

Freeman-Asia Scholarship

Need-based funding up to $3,000 for summer, $5,000 for single term, and $7,000 for academic year. Find out more.​​

Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan

The US-Japan Bridging Foundation awards 100 scholarships annually to US undergraduate students for study in Japan. The scholarships provide $2,500 for one semester or $4,000 for the academic year to cover travel and living expenses. In 2017, two UC students were awarded.  Applications are due in April for fall/year programs and October for spring programs.  Requirements include an application, transcript, short essay, and letter of recommendation.  Find out more.
The U.S.-Japan Council Toshizo Watanabe Endowed Scholarship
Awards financial assistance to undergraduates/graduate students for a semester or year-long study abroad program. The scholarship will support up to the full cost of attendance to the study abroad program of the applicant’s choice. The scholarship program grants awards to recipients in amounts determined by financial need and other qualifications.  Find out more.​ 

Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarships

JASSO offers scholarships for international students who are accepted by a Japanese university, junior college or college of technology. Find out more.

Morgan Stanley Scholarships for Study in Japan

Morgan Stanley Japan offers two $7,500 scholarships to US students with an interest in policy, economics, or international finance who will study abroad in Japan. The scholarships are co-sponsored by the US-Japan Bridging Foundation and the American Association of Teachers of Japanese.  Applications are due in April.  Find out more.

American Association of Japanese University Women (AAJUW)
AAJUW was founded in 1970 to promote the education of women, as well as to contribute to the better U.S.-Japan relations, cultural exchanges, and development of leadership.  AAJUW's scholarship award $2,000 and the deadline is in October.


Class Level:

Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate

Language Prerequisites:

- The University-level language requirement is: minimum 0 quarters / 0 semesters.
* L&C + fall or L&C + year options: The University-level language requirement is: minimum 2 quarters / 1 semester.


3.00 cumulative GPA at the time of application and maintained through the end of the last term prior to departure.
GPA Note: A UC minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required.

All applicants must also have:

  • Serious academic goals and a clear plan for integrating EAP studies into the student's UC degree program.
  • Social, interpersonal, and cross-cultural sensitivity; maturity; willingness to adapt successfully to different living and academic environments; appropriate behavior in a variety of situations.
  • A willingness to abide by program regulations.
  • Completed all campus- and program-specific requirements and be in good academic and disciplinary standing.

Application Information and Deadlines

Important: If you are planning to participate in back to back study abroad programs (with UCEAP or any other organization), you must notify your campus study abroad office. There are important things to consider when participating in consecutive programs, such as program dates and visa requirements. Not all program combinations are possible.

Application deadlines and information on the application process are available through your Campus EAP Office. Supplemental pre-departure materials will be required for many programs, including, but not limited to, host institution applications, visa and housing applications, medical clearances, etc.

For participation in the program, you must meet all deadlines and submit complete application materials.

These are minimum requirements. After selection by your UC Campus EAP Office, final admission is determined by International Christian University.

Visit your Campus Study Abroad website for program-specific deadlines: