Navigate Up
Sign In
Waseda University

Study Abroad Program Overview

Waseda University is a top private university offering a high-quality academic experience right in the heart of Tokyo. 
Waseda University offers courses taught in English in Japan Studies, East Asian and Asian Studies, with topics in political science, journalism, art history, education, and industry.  Affiliated departments also offer unique coursework related to international and global studies. 
Waseda University is a very urban campus located in the northern part of lively Shinjuku in Tokyo. The university has all the benefits of city living, just a step off campus. You can feel the energy of Tokyo day and night. It is a great study abroad opportunity for those preparing for careers in journalism or other creative professions, as well as education, public service or with non-governmental organizations. Many graduates of Waseda go on to become writers, journalists, actors and other innovative professions​.
The campus is a five minute walk to the subway and a 15 minute walk to the train station.  By train, it is about five minutes to Ikebukuro and Shinjuku, both major hubs in Tokyo. 
 Berkeley and UCLA students: The Global Leadership Fellows Program at Waseda University provides the opportunity to study a wide range of courses in English, participate in small seminars (zemi), meet Tokyo political and business leaders, build close relationships with Japanese students, and develop leadership skills necessary for the 21st century. 

Contact your campus study abroad office for more information.  For more details, first review the Berkeley Advising Notes Document.

Students attend classes with international and/or host country students.

Language of Instruction


Language Study

 language study is required each semester.


​Go to the Participants section to see current or past calendars.
Year :  

early September to late July​

None :  








​Students live in a dormitory with Japanese and international students. Dorm apartments are within walking distance from campus. Many very reasonably priced student-oriented restaurants are in the vicinity.  Housing applications are included with the acceptance letter and housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.  A homestay option is also available. More information on housing...

Extracurricular Activities

Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while studying abroad is an excellent way to meet people, improve your language skills, and integrate more fully into the community. Join sports, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations; attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles; and get the most out of your time abroad.​​

On-site Support

UCEAP students are supported by UC's network of EAP offices at every UC campus and partnerships with EAP host universities throughout the world. UC faculty and local staff abroad help students integrate into the culture of Japan and provide assistance with academics, housing, safety, and other issues.

The University of California Tokyo Study Center provides an enriching, educational, and safe experience for UCEAP students who study at nine Japanese host Universities.
​See the UCEAP Program Guide for program-specific details about host institutions, program structure, and courses; academic culture and conduct; internships, research, & independent study; units, exams, and grades; orientation; and ​housing.

Course Opportunities

UCEAP students take the majority of their coursework in one of two schools at Waseda University. The School of International Liberal Studies (SILS) is the most popular school for UCEAP students with classes in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. Students may also be placed in the School of Political Science and Economics. Students may take courses through the Contemporary Japanese Studies Program in conjunction with either of these programs. 
Japanese language study is required and is available from beginning through advanced levels. You may take a maximum of 8 Waseda units (12 UC quarter units) of Japanese language per term. Your minimum requirement depends on your language level determined by the required language placement exam taken at the beginning of the program. Most UCEAP students take 3 to 8 Waseda units of Japanese language study per term.
Coursework taught in Japanese is not available to UCEAP students with the exception of the University-wide Open Courses. These are typically lower-division general education or physical activity courses.
With the exception of those selected for the Berkeley and UCLA Waseda Global Leaders Program, other Waseda University department or school courses are not open to UCEAP students.

Use the following resources to learn more:


​You are required to take a full-time course of study while abroad.
21 quarter/14 semester UC units per semester minimum required; usually 6 to 8 courses
30 quarter/20 semester UC units per semester maximum allowed

Research and Independent Study

​Research and independent study for academic credit is possible.  Arrangements are made after arrival.

Waseda University

Waseda University is a private, non-sectarian university located in central Tokyo. It is one of Japan’s largest and best-known universities.
The Waseda School of International Liberal Studies (SILS) is a 4-year program with just over 2,400 students. SILS attracts students with interest in Japan, East Asia, or Asia as a whole, in majors such as politics, journalism, art history, education, and environmental studies. 
The Waseda School of Political Science and Economics offers coursework for both UC majors, and now has a third department which offers courses on the global political economy. Interdisciplinary topics include domestic and transnational issues, with instruction preparing students to analyze and debate international and global challenges. 
Classes are mostly taught in English by international faculty, and up to a third of Waseda's student body is from outside of Japan, largely from other Asian countries.

Test Drive Your Future

Internships abroad are a great way to enhance your resume for today’s competitive job market. Stand out from your peers, gain hands-on experience, and develop your global professional network.


Please note-Current internship offerings may vary; you may do your own research to find additional internship opportunities.

Setting Up Your Internship

  • You are encouraged to set up your own internship prior to arrival in Japan.  If needed, the Tokyo Study Center may be able to assist you after arrival.
  • Keep in mind that deadlines for internships at the US embassy and consulate are well before your program application deadline.

Additional Information

  • Some internships are short-term during the semester break while others are ongoing during the academic year. 
  • In the past, some students have found internships with such entities as Panasonic, Asahi Beverage, and the U.S. Embassy.

Student Experiences

  • "I decided that rather than work for an international organization or in politics, I wanted to do something that I already knew I would enjoy: become a teacher." -UCSB student
Participation in UCEAP is a great value! The cost of studying abroad on UCEAP programs is typically less than that of non-UC study abroad programs. The dollar figures listed in the chart below represent an estimate of: 1) the UCEAP fees for the current year, and 2) the additional amount needed to cover your living expenses in this location. Estimates for personal travel, entertainment and Non-Resident (out of state) Fees are not included.
Keep in mind that on UCEAP you take your financial aid with you. The amount of your financial aid package will take into account the total estimated costs of this experience. One advantage of selecting UCEAP for study abroad is that we facilitate the process by working with your UC Financial Aid Office (FAO), informing them of your UCEAP participation and providing them with your UCEAP budget. Just like your UC Campus billing office, we receive your financial aid and scholarships from your FAO, apply it to cover the UCEAP program fees, and disburse any remaining aid on a set schedule.

Estimated EAP Costs *

OptionWeeksUnits (Qtr)Units (Sem)UCEAP Fees 1Additional Costs 2
Year4642 - 6028 - 40$14,075$17,400
* Estimates do not include Miscellaneous Campus Fees or, if applicable, Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition, Graduate or Professional Fees. If you are subject to out-of-state tuition at your UC campus, you will pay Non-Resident Fees on UCEAP.

1 UCEAP Fees: This represents an estimate of UCEAP fees for the current year. Actual amounts will vary due to potential changes to UC fees, exchange rate fluctuation, etc. This figure includes UC tuition and fees for undergraduate, in-state residents. For a detailed breakdown of what’s included in this estimate, visit the Participants Portal and select the appropriate program. Non-Resident Fees apply: If you are subject to out-of-state tuition at your UC campus, you will pay non-resident fees on UCEAP.

2 Additional Costs: Average living expenses include but are not limited to room and board, transportation, books, supplies, and other incidentals and do not include recreational travel or entertainment. The total cost will vary depending on your personal expenses, exchange rate fluctuation, and the program you attend. For a detailed breakdown of the estimate, visit the “Cost” tab of the appropriate program.

All fees are subject to change without notice.

These expenses are estimated for 2017-18. Actual amounts will vary due to potential changes to UC fees, exchange rate fluctuation, etc. For a more detailed breakdown of 2017-18 payment information, visit the Participants Portal and select the appropriate program. Estimates do not include non-resident supplemental tuition. If you are subject to out-of-state tuition at your UC campus, you will pay non-resident fees on UCEAP.
Here’s what is included in the estimate:
  • All pre-departure expenses related to visas
  • Round-trip airfare
  • UC fees
  • Optional airport meet and greet
  • On-site Orientation
  • Books and other materials
  • Accident and medical insurance
  • Automatic transfer of classes and grades to your UC transcript
While on UCEAP, you are covered by UC’s accident and medical insurance, including non-medical benefits, and 24/7 travel assistance anywhere in the world.​



UCEAP scholarships are available. Please visit our scholarships overview page for general information and details regarding eligibility requirements and application deadlines.​

Study abroad scholarships for Japan

There are dedicated scholarships for students studying in Japan.  See the information below and refer to this article: Top 10 Study Abroad Scholarships for Japan

Freeman-Asia Scholarship

Need-based funding up to $3,000 for summer, $5,000 for single term, and $7,000 for academic year. Find out more.​​

Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan

The US-Japan Bridging Foundation awards 100 scholarships annually to US undergraduate students for study in Japan. The scholarships provide $2,500 for one semester or $4,000 for the academic year to cover travel and living expenses. In 2017, two UC students were awarded.  Applications are due in April for fall/year programs and October for spring programs.  Requirements include an application, transcript, short essay, and letter of recommendation.  Find out more.
The U.S.-Japan Council Toshizo Watanabe Endowed Scholarship
Awards financial assistance to undergraduates/graduate students for a semester or year-long study abroad program. The scholarship will support up to the full cost of attendance to the study abroad program of the applicant’s choice. The scholarship program grants awards to recipients in amounts determined by financial need and other qualifications.  Find out more.​ 

Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarships

JASSO offers scholarships for international students who are accepted by a Japanese university, junior college or college of technology. Find out more.

Morgan Stanley Scholarships for Study in Japan

Morgan Stanley Japan offers two $7,500 scholarships to US students with an interest in policy, economics, or international finance who will study abroad in Japan. The scholarships are co-sponsored by the US-Japan Bridging Foundation and the American Association of Teachers of Japanese.  Applications are due in April.  Find out more.

American Association of Japanese University Women (AAJUW)
AAJUW was founded in 1970 to promote the education of women, as well as to contribute to the better U.S.-Japan relations, cultural exchanges, and development of leadership.  AAJUW's scholarship award $2,000 and the deadline is in October.


Class Level:

Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate

Language Prerequisites:

- The University-level language requirement is: minimum 1 year (3 quarters / 2 semesters).


3.00 cumulative GPA at the time of application and maintained through the end of the last term prior to departure.
GPA Note: A UC minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required.

Other Eligibility Requirements:

Graduate students may apply to the School of Political Science and Economics or the Contemporary Japanese Studies Program only.

All applicants must also have:

  • Serious academic goals and a clear plan for integrating EAP studies into the student's UC degree program.
  • Social, interpersonal, and cross-cultural sensitivity; maturity; willingness to adapt successfully to different living and academic environments; appropriate behavior in a variety of situations.
  • A willingness to abide by program regulations.
  • Completed all campus- and program-specific requirements and be in good academic and disciplinary standing.

Application Information and Deadlines

Important: If you are planning to participate in back to back study abroad programs (with UCEAP or any other organization), you must notify your campus study abroad office. There are important things to consider when participating in consecutive programs, such as program dates and visa requirements. Not all program combinations are possible.

Application deadlines and information on the application process are available through your Campus EAP Office. Supplemental pre-departure materials will be required for many programs, including, but not limited to, host institution applications, visa and housing applications, medical clearances, etc.

For participation in the program, you must meet all deadlines and submit complete application materials.

These are minimum requirements. After selection by your UC Campus EAP Office, final admission is determined by Waseda University.

Visit your Campus Study Abroad website for program-specific deadlines: