If you have not applied for an internship, you are required to take one core course and one City course in each of the program's five-week segments.
In your first city, you enroll in one Core course and the City course. Each core course carries 4.5 quarter/3.0 semester units. The special City course carries 3.0 quarter/2.0 semester units.
In your second city, you enroll in a minimum of two core courses, each of which runs for five weeks. You also enroll in the special City course that will have two parts and run for the 11 weeks of the second city programming.
In exceptional situations, students may take an additional core course in either city. All core courses are upper-division credit. Note that some classes also may occasionally require activities on a weekend or holiday.
Courses in Rome for Spring 2017
- City course: Rome as Palimpsest: Language, History, Culture
- Core Courses:
- Art Crime and Cultural Heritage Protection
- Italian Politics and History through Film
- Sport and Society in Modern Italy
- The Italian Family from Early Modern to Contemporary Times
Courses in Madrid for Spring 2017:
- City course: Spain through its Culture and Language
- Core courses:
- Contemporary Spanish History through Film
- From Dictatorship to Democracy: Social Revolutions in Spain
- The City as Text: Urban Development and Art in Madrid
- Spanish Mass Media and Society
Final Core course for Semester students:
- Beyond Tradition and Modernity: Spain's Sexual Revolution
The City course in your second city will have two segments and last the duration of the program using language instruction and extensive exploration of the city to assist you in a deeper appreciation of local culture.
Use the following resources to learn about courses on UCEAP:
- MyEAP Course Catalog lists courses offered in both locations: Rome and Madrid
- Academic Information in the Program Guide (1718 guide pending)
You will enroll in a full-time course of study while abroad. A minimum of 22.5 quarter/14.8 semester UC units are required. It is possible to add another course to this program.
Research and independent study are not available on this program. See European Transformations (Semester w/Internship)
UC Center Rome
The Study Center in Rome is located in the historic heart of the city, amidst one of the most beautiful urban centers in the world. The program is administered jointly by UCEAP and ACCENT, the International Consortium for Academic Programs Abroad. Staff at the Study Center advise on academic matters and provide information on cultural and social activities.
UC Center Madrid
The UC Center in Madrid shares space with ACCENT International in the friendly and centrally located neighborhood of Chamberrí. The Center features modern classrooms and a computer lab with both broadband and wireless Internet access. Here too, staff advise on academic matters and provide social and cultural information.