Navigate Up
Sign In
Undergraduate Application

Some sections of the UCEAP application must be completed online, while others must be submitted in paper form. Use these instructions to guide yourself through every step of the application process. If you have questions after reading the instructions on this page, contact

Planning Resources

UC Undergraduate Majors
How to Complete Your UCEAP Application
English Language Examination Requirements
Estimated Living Expenses 
Student Guide

Application Deadlines

Completed applications and supplementary paper documents must be received by UCEAP by the following dates:

Term Major
*Term begins in August / September
**Term begins in January
†UCB / UCM only
Fall* All Majors February 1
Winter** / Spring† All Majors August 1

How to Complete Your UCEAP Application

I. Preliminary Steps

Determine your class level.
Determine your level of English-language proficiency.
Select a major (specialized field of study) at UC.
Determine if you have the prerequisite courses for your major.
Research and select three UC campuses.
Prepare a study plan for each selected UC campus.

Online application tutorial
Study plan tutorial

II. Online Application

Establish a login ID and password.
Select your application term.
Complete the applicant information.
List and rank your selected UC campuses, and provide an academic statement.
Submit a study plan for each selected UC campus.
Complete the Student Contract / Authorization section.
Submit your online application.

III. Paper Documents

Gather your official academic records.
Print the application checklist before you submit your paper documents. 

IV. DS-2019 Request

Prepare your financial documentation. (after assignment of host UC campus)


​Determine your class level

In the U.S., students completing their first four years of university study are referred to as undergraduates. University of California undergraduate students complete their studies in approximately four years and earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Sciences (BS) degree. Students must complete a range of courses in their area of specialization, or major, but also take a significant number of general education courses outside their major, fulfilling the requirements of a broad, liberal arts and sciences educational model. Graduate study at UC begins after completion of the Bachelor's degree and is more research-oriented and disciplinary focused.

Class Level
Year 1 Undergraduate (Freshman) Bachelor's
Year 2 Undergraduate (Sophomore) Bachelor's
Year 3 Undergraduate (Junior) Bachelor's
Year 4 Undergraduate (Senior) Bachelor's
Year 5 Graduate Master's
Year 6 Graduate Master's
Year 7+ Graduate Doctorate

If you have not completed at least four academic years of university study, you are considered an undergraduate and should apply to UCEAP as an undergraduate.

If you have completed four academic years or more of university study and have received a degree for four or five academic years of university study, before planning your UCEAP studies, ask for information about applying as a graduate-level student.

Determine your level of English-language proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English, and whose high school or college / university education has been in a country where the language of instruction was not in English, must provide evidence of a sufficient level of English proficiency.

Applicants from institutions that teach in English, located in countries where English is the official language of instruction, are not required to submit English as a Second Language (ESL) examination scores. When there are reservations concerning an applicant's English-language proficiency, however, the University of California reserves the right to ask for further proof of sufficient English-language proficiency (e.g., documentation used for admission to the home university, or scores from a UC-recognized English-language proficiency examination).

We must receive your ESL examination score from the testing agency by the application deadlines cited above.

Students should consider the score-reporting dates when enrolling, as applications will not be complete without a UC-recognized ESL examination score.

UC-recognized English-language Proficiency Examinations

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

Visit the official TOEFL website for test dates and availability of the test in your area. Online registration is available. The TOEFL website includes practice tests to prepare you for the examination. You may take the test as many times as you wish, but no more than once in a 12-day period. The highest score will be considered for your placement at UC.

Scores are valid for two years from the testing date.

Ask that your TOEFL scores be reported to UCEAP at the time you take the examination. There is no additional fee for the first four score reports requested at the time of your TOEFL examination. There is, however, an additional fee for score reports requested at a later date.

Reporting Your TOEFL Score to UCEAP
(Do not report scores to UC campuses directly.)
On the institutional reporting menu of the TOEFL

Select: USA
Select: California
Select: 4795 U CA ED Abroad; Dept. code 00 (two zeroes) or select Undergraduate

If you cannot find 4795 U CA ED Abroad on the institutional reporting menu, ask the examination attendant for assistance.

Department codes apply to graduate students only. Undergraduates should list 00 (two zeros) for the department code.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Visit the official IELTS website to learn about testing components, test administration, computer tutorials, and frequently asked questions.

Scores are valid for two years from the testing date.

Students must take the Academic Modules of IELTS. The Vocational Modules of IELTS examination are not accepted for exchange participants.

Reporting Your IELTS Score to UCEAP
Send your IELTS score reports to UCEAP directly at:

Reciprocal Exchanges
Systemwide Office, Education Abroad Program
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117- 5823

UC Campus
Paper-Based TOEFL
Internet-Based TOEFL
UCB 550 80 6.5
UCD 550 80 7.0
UCI 550 80 6.5
UCLA 550 83 7.0
UCM 550 80 6.5
UCR 550 80 6.5
UCSB 550 80 6.5
UCSC 550 80 6.5
UCSD 550 83 7.0

Cambridge and International Baccalaureate
UC recognizes two English-language proficiency examinations offered by Cambridge: Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) and Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). Completion of Cambridge coursework only does not meet the requirement.

The International Baccalaureate (IB) is another English-language proficiency examination recognized by UC.

Minimum Score
CPE or
C2 Proficiency
C or above
CAE or
C1 Advanced
B or above
Minimum Score

Score 5 or higher on the IB Higher Level Examination in English: Literature, or Language and Literature

Score 6 or higher on the IB Standard Level Examination in English: Literature, or Language and Literature

Submit photocopies of the original score, certified by the applicant's home university, international office or the UC Study Center along with your UCEAP application.

Some UC campuses may require additional English-language placement testing on arrival for applicants admitted to their campuses.

Select a major (specialized field of study) at UC

UC offers a wide range of undergraduate programs. Although UCEAP Reciprocal Exchange students are not registered in UC degree programs, you must select a major for your studies while at UC. Your UC major might be different from your home university major, but it should reflect your primary academic interests while on the Exchange.

Some majors have restricted enrollment or are not open to Reciprocal Exchange students. Before you choose your major, review the UC Undergraduate Majors table and the Undergraduate Impacted Majors table. This information will help you learn if your major is offered at a particular UC campus.

Determine if you have the prerequisite courses for your major

In the UC system, biology, business administration, economics, engineering, and psychology require intensive preparation for coursework taught at the upper-division level (100-199). To be approved for upper-division courses, you must demonstrate to UC departmental advisors and / or instructors that you are sufficiently prepared.

Review the UC catalogs for course descriptions and information on prerequisites.

The information on prerequisites is provided as a general guide only. Other coursework may be necessary. Enrollment in classes is not guaranteed.

Research and select three UC campuses

Research three UC campuses for your exchange studies and rank them from one to three, in order of your preference. When selecting your preferred UC campuses, consult the UC Undergraduate Majors.

You will be placed at only one UC campus to complete your exchange studies. You cannot move or transfer to another UC campus after your first term or at any time during your exchange.

Due to a high number of applicants, be prepared to attend any UC campus where your major is offered. UCEAP must place many Reciprocal Exchange applicants at campuses other than their first choice.

Prepare a study plan for each selected UC campus

Completeness and accuracy of your study plans will assist us in making the best placement decision.

Study plans for three UC campus choices are required of all applicants. To complete your study plans, consult UC catalogs, which include full listings of courses and course descriptions, and the Schedule of Classes, which includes information on when courses are offered during the academic year. Course schedules are announced midway through the preceding term. Use older schedules for planning purposes.

Students are not limited to selecting courses in their major only. They may enroll in courses in other majors, if they meet course prerequisites and space in class is available.
  • Plan to take no more than two courses in your major: UC major courses are intense. Most UC students enroll in 14 - 17 units per term, a combination of major and general education course units.
  • Prepare to enroll in alternative courses: Enrollment in specific courses is not guaranteed. A particular course may not be available to an applicant in any given term or may not even be offered during your UC exchange. Select an alternative course for every course you initially choose.
  • Know your home university requirements: If you must complete specific coursework during the exchange period, consult with your home university academic advisor before applying to UCEAP.
  • Maximize your options: The longer your proposed exchange period, the more likely it is that you would be able to enroll in the courses you select. Many courses are sequential and may only be offered once per academic year. A longer exchange period also improves your chances of getting graduate coursework and independent study approved.
  • Plan responsibly: The study plans are a tool for placement and advising only: You will not automatically be enrolled in the courses selected on your study plan. There is no guarantee that a particular course will be offered while you are an exchange participant. Consult with your home university advisors so that a satisfactory course of study will be available.

Course Load and Minimum Unit Requirements

Full-time enrollment (at least 13 units each term at most Berkeley colleges, at least 12 units each term at all other UC campuses) is required of both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens. If your first language is not English, consider limiting your first-term enrollment to the minimum number of course units required by your UC college or department.

Non-U.S. citizens must enroll full time in the required course units each term to maintain immigration status.

See this course description from a UC catalog for the various components: course number, course suffix (or prefix), course title, number of course units, type of course and course prerequisites.

How to Select Undergraduate Courses

There are two types of undergraduate courses: lower division and upper division.

Lower-division courses: Courses numbered 1 - 99 are introductory and are often taken by UC students in their first two years of study. They can be challenging and interesting, but are often very popular and may not have class space available.

Upper-division courses: Courses numbered 100 - 199 are usually taken by UC students in their last two years of study. You must have completed the prerequisites or their equivalent at your home university. If you do not meet course prerequisites for upper-division classes, you will not be able to enroll in these courses.

Independent Studies Courses

Upper-division courses numbered 198 - 199 are usually taken by students working on a thesis or research. You may enroll in an independent studies course to earn unit credit for your work. The instructor and the student determine the course structure and the readings. Students must make their own independent studies arrangements via e-mail with an instructor, or after they arrive at the UC host campus. Most students find it easier to coordinate an independent studies project for their second or third term of UC exchange.

Graduate Courses

You may enroll in graduate courses (numbered 200 and above) only if you receive the UC instructor's permission to enroll. Some campuses and / or departments do not allow undergraduates to enroll in graduate courses. You must respect any restrictions that apply.

Professional Schools

Some majors at UC are taught only at the graduate level in what are called professional schools. Examples of these majors are education, medicine, veterinary medicine, law, management, information management, and journalism. Undergraduate Reciprocal Exchange students generally cannot enroll in professional schools.

Establish a login ID and password

Access this website to create your online application. Follow the instructions to establish your login ID and password. At any time while you are completing your online application, you may save the information, exit the program, and resume completion of the online application at a later time.

If you experience any technical difficulties, contact

Select your application term

Select the term when you want to begin your UC exchange.

An academic year at UCB and UCM comprises two terms (semesters - each 15 weeks of instruction):

Fall semester (August - December)
Spring semester (January - May)

All other UC campuses have three terms (quarters - each 10 weeks of instruction):

Fall quarter (September - December), Winter quarter (January - March), and Spring quarter (April - June).

See UC Academic Calendar

Complete the applicant information

Follow the instructions indicated on the Personal Information, Address, Visa, Language, and Educational History screens.

You may update your address and contact information at any time, even after you have submitted your application.

List and rank your selected UC campuses, and provide an academic statement

Academic Statement

Respond to this statement, using a maximum of 250 words total.

Statement Subject: In addition to your study plan and transcripts, describe your academic plans for the UC exchange.

Submit a study plan for each selected UC campus (and complete the Prerequisites section, if required)

If you plan to take upper-division coursework in biology, business administration, economics, engineering or psychology, you must complete the Prerequisites section(s) of the online application. All coursework must be at university level and completed before beginning your UC exchange.

Click the Submit button after completing your study plan for each UC campus and prerequisites.

Complete the Student Contract / Authorization section

You must check the box for Required Authorization to accept the terms of your UC student contract.

Submit your online application

If you do not complete the entire application at one time, you may save your information, exit the website, and complete the application at a later time. If you attempt to submit the application before it is complete, a screen will indicate all sections of the application not yet completed.

You must submit both your Application and Study Plan to finish your online application process.

Gather your official academic records

Submit official academic records from all institutions you have attended after high school, including your home university, showing all coursework from beginning to present.

A-levels are required for all applicants from British-style educational systems (i.e., UK, Hong Kong, Barbados, Singapore), if applicable.

If your most recent university transcript does not include courses in which you are currently enrolled, or in which you plan to enroll, complete the Coursework-in-Progress form.

Translations are required for academic records not in English. Submit academic records for all educational institutions you have attended after high school. Your academic records must match the educational institutions you list in the Educational History section of your online application.

If you have attended a university but did not complete your coursework and did not receive grades, you must provide an official letter from the university, verifying that you were registered but did not complete those courses.

Prepare your financial documentation

(after assignment of host UC campus)

To enter the U.S. as a student, you must present four documents to the immigration authorities at the port of entry:

  1. A valid passport, obtained from the passport authorities of your country.
  2. A certificate of eligibility (DS-2019), issued by the UC campus where you will be an exchange student.
  3. A valid US entry visa, obtained from the U.S. consulate / embassy in your country.
  4. Proof of financial resources, which may be requested at the port of entry. Take original financial documents with you.
US citizens and permanent residents do not need a DS-2019 to enter the United States; a US passport or a permanent resident card is sufficient. Individuals born in the U.S. are automatically US citizens, and must use their US passport while participating in the exchange program, even if they have dual citizenship. Completing the Confirmation of Financial Resources form is not required.

Minimum Financial Requirements

A DS-2019 certificate of eligibility is issued only after you have demonstrated that funds required by your UC host campus will be available to you while in the U.S. The minimum funds required for issue of a certificate of eligibility are estimates. Your actual expenses may vary, depending on your lifestyle and extra activities. (Travel is not included in these estimates.) If possible, show proof of funds to allow for ten to fifteen percent more than the figures provided, as required amounts are subject to change. To avoid delay, show proof of funds for the campus choice requiring the highest amount.

While you are in the U.S. you should not plan to work to meet your financial needs. You are not eligible for UC financial aid.

Link to the required estimated living expenses

Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR) form

Applicant's Information
  1. Write your name exactly as it appears on the personal information page of your passport. Do not write your nickname or use commas to separate the names.
  2. Complete the sections for date of birth, city and country of birth, country of citizenship, and country of permanent residence.

    Your financial support can come from one or a combination of the sources listed below:

Personal Funds

  1. Enter the amount of support you will contribute and the name of bank(s) in the Personal Funds section of the CFR form.
  2. Provide bank verification of the funds available with:
    • A letter on official bank letterhead showing your name as an account holder, the date of issue and the amount of funds available. Or
    • A recent bank statement showing your name as an account holder, the date of issue and the amount of funds available.

Family or Individual Sponsor's Funds

  1. Enter the amount of support your sponsor will contribute and have the sponsor print his / her full name, sign and indicate the relationship to you in the sponsor's section of the CFR form.
  2. Provide bank verification of the funds available with:
    • A letter on official bank letterhead showing your sponsor's name as an account holder, the date of issue and the amount of funds available. Or
    • A recent bank statement showing your sponsor's name as an account holder, the date of issue and the amount of funds available.

Sponsoring Organization, Government or School's Funds  (including loans)

  1. Enter the amount of support and name of the sponsoring entity.
  2. Provide verification of the funds available accompanied with:
    • A letter on official sponsoring organization's letterhead, including your name, the amount of the award available to you, and the period when you will be eligible to receive the funds.
Documenting Available Funds

 All financial documents must:​

  • Indicate that funds are readily available to you
  • Be less than three months old
  • Bear official​ letterheads, signatures and stamps

The following items are accepted as documentation of funds:

  • Checking account statements
  • Savings account statements
  • Term deposits (e.g., certificates of deposit) with a maturity date before you begin your UC exchange
  • Stock holdings or investment portfolios if accompanied by documents indicating accessibility of funds
  • Internet statements
Translations are required for financial documents not in English.

The following items are not accepted as documentation of funds:

  • Credit card statements or credit card overdraft letters
  • ATM (Automated Teller Machine) receipts
  • Declarations of earnings or potential earnings
  • Tax returns
  • Payroll records 
Total Documented Funds

Indicate, in U.S. dollars, the total funds documented that will be available to you during your UC exchange. Be sure to sign and date the bottom of the CFR form.

Keep original financial documents (e.g., CFR, bank letters, bank statements, sponsor's statements) for your personal records and to present as required (e.g., UC campus international office, U.S. consulate / embassy, point-of-entry, etc.).


Complete the Dependent(s) Information section only if you plan to take your spouse and / or children with you to the U.S.. You will need to plan for additional living expenses for your family members. For more information, contact the UCEAP office at

For each dependent, list his / her name, country of birth, citizenship, date of birth and relationship to you. Provide a photocopy of the personal information page of each dependent's passport.

Print the application checklist before you submit your paper documents to your home university

Complete the Application Checklist to ensure that all required items, including photocopies, have been submitted. Missing documents may delay processing of your application.


Coursework-in-Progress form
Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR) form