Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Apr - Nov: + 10 hrs
Dec - Mar: + 10 hrs

Advanced Arabic Language, Amman

- Fall
- Spring
- Year

Arabic Language & Culture, Amman

- Fall
- Spring

Diplomacy & Policy Studies, Amman

- Fall
- Spring
Dear Participants,
Thank you for choosing the University of California Education Abroad Program. We hope that you will have an amazing experience abroad and will look back on it as a highlight of your UC education. For this program, UCEAP has partnered with CIEE. As a UCEAP student, the terms of your participation differ from students who are enrolled with CIEE independently or through another university. Be aware of these differences and understand your responsibilities as a UCEAP student abroad.
Review and read the CIEE materials carefully. Follow all CIEE pre-departure and onsite information and instructions; for example, arrival dates and visa instructions. Write down the CIEE contact information and keep it with your passport in case of an emergency. Be aware that you are concurrently enrolled at UC while participating through CIEE abroad. This means that the grades you earn while abroad will appear on your UC transcript as direct UC credit rather than transfer credit, that unlike other students in the program, you will pay your fees to UCEAP rather than directly to CIEE. Also that you have travel insurance coverage through UCEAP, which is your primary insurance policy while abroad. Finally, you will have additional resources and contacts at UCEAP. The details of the separate and unique “UCEAP elements” of your participation are outlined in this short supplement. Be familiar with them before departure.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.

Third Party Organization

Your first point of contact while abroad will be the on-site CIEE office.  See the CIEE Handbook accessed via your CIEE Polaris account for full contact details. 

Your UCEAP Network

While you will stay in close touch with the on-site office, you will also need to keep a list of contacts on hand for the UCEAP Systemwide Office. The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs all over the world, and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. As a participant in this program, you will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisor
Shannon Krahn
Phone: (805) 893-5926; E-mail:​
International Operations Specialist
Jeanie O'Connell
Phone: (805) 893-5926; E-mail:
International Academics Specialist
Andrea Nuernberger
Phone: (805) 893-2810; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Karen Hyslop
Phone: (805) 893-2761; E-mail:

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Specialists advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).
Academics & Your UC Registration
The CIEE Study Center is located opposite the main gate of the University of Jordan and offers students a wide range of support, library, and advising services. 
Course Opportunities

Arabic Language & Culture

You are required to take two language courses: one Arabic language course (9 quarter/6 semester UC units) and one colloquial Jordanian Arabic course (4.5 quarter/3 semester UC units). In addition, you select two area studies courses (4.5 quarter/3 semester UC units each). Electives include courses in archaeology, economics, history, international relations, literature, politics, and religion.  A full course load is considered four courses, an equivalent of 22.5 quarter/15 semester UC units. 
View course listings for the Language and Culture program (at bottom of page) and syllabi (scroll to the right to open syllabi PDF).

Advanced Arabic Language

You take Advanced Modern Standard Arabic (9 quarter/6 semester UC units), Advanced Topics in Arabic Conversation (6 quarter/4 semester UC units), Arabic Writing and Research, and one subject course in literature, history, religion, or media. All subject courses are taught in Arabic. Enrollment in certain subject courses may require a higher level of proficiency than others. By enrolling in the required courses, you will earn 22.5-27 quarter/15-18 semester UC units.
Students must demonstrate mastery of the subject material included in the popular al-Kitaab series through book II or its equivalent on-site language placement exam taken during orientation. Students failing to meet the equivalency will have one opportunity to retake the placement exam. Students failing to demonstrate equivalency on their second attempt can be automatically enrolled in the CIEE Amman Language and Culture program. Confirmed students are also asked to complete an online oral interview with CIEE Arabic Language staff in Jordan as part of the pre-departure process.
View course listings for the Arabic Language program (at bottom of page) and syllabi (scroll to the right to open syllabi PDF).

Diplomacy & Policy Studies

You enroll in Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Jordanian Arabic courses at the appropriate level. In addition to the two required language courses, you choose two electives or one elective and an internship. A full course load is considered four courses, an equivalent of at least 22.5 quarter/15 UC semester units.  
View course listings for the Diplomacy & Policy Studies program (at bottom of page) and syllabi (scroll to the right to open syllabi PDF).


Internships for credit are only available to students in the Diplomacy and Policy Studies program and to academic-year students in the Language and Culture program. In these programs, you'll have the option to partake in a for-credit, pre-screened internship with a government agency, or a local or international development organization. Drawing on your experience throughout the semester, you will complete a final research paper that uses your experience at the organization to make inferences about issues in the region.
Course Registration
The most important thing for you to understand is that you are concurrently enrolled in your courses both through CIEE and through UCEAP’s MyEAP Study List. Completing your MyEAP Study List is the only way for your UCEAP courses and grades to appear on your UC transcript. You are receiving direct UC credit, not transfer credit.
When making decisions regarding your academic requirements while abroad, do not follow advice from non-UCEAP students; they are following different home-university policies.

Registering through CIEE: Signing up for courses

  • You may be able to pre-register for CIEE courses before arriving on-site. Your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor will notify you when details about the course registration process are available in your online CIEE account. There will be an opportunity to change your preliminary course schedule after you arrive, but pay close attention to any deadlines specified by CIEE staff.
  • Neither CIEE nor UCEAP Systemwide Office can assist you with questions about fulfilling home department requirements. You will need to contact your home UC department advisor.

Registering through UCEAP: Entering your courses into your MyEAP Registration Study List

  • In the first month of the program, you’ll receive detailed instructions from the UCEAP Systemwide Office on how to enter courses in your MyEAP account. It is critical that you read and respond to all e-mails regarding the registration process.
  • Search the MyEAP course catalog to select courses offered by CIEE.
  • Include the correct number of UC units in UC quarter units (even for semester campus students).
  • The Systemwide Office reviews courses (especially subject areas and division) and finalizes Study Lists. Check your final Study List carefully, as it determines how your courses will appear on your UC transcript.
Not sure whom to ask for help?
  • UCEAP academic regulations/MyEAP Study List
    • UCEAP Systemwide Office
  • Conflicts or confusion between UCEAP and CIEE general academic policies
    • UCEAP Systemwide Office
  • CIEE course specifics and concerns 
    • CIEE on-site staff
  • Home UC college or department requirements
    • UC departmental advisor and/or campus EAP advisor
Grades (A–F with pluses and minuses, converted from a 100 point scale) are assigned based on mid-term and final exams, and depending on the course, additional assignments such as a research paper or a class presentation. Attendance and class participation are also incorporated into the final grade for the program courses. Class attendance is mandatory in all CIEE classes.
There are several steps involved before the grades you receive will be posted on your UC transcript. Grades must be submitted to the UCEAP Systemwide Office, reviewed and signed at the UCEAP Systemwide Office, transmitted to your campus, and then processed at the UC registrar.
Seniors should especially consider these issues to make sure they do not require grades sooner than what may be possible. No individual expediting is possible until the end of the 90-day window, regardless of graduation or graduate school deadlines.
Fall grades are usually available early February. Spring grades are usually available early to mid-July.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad. ​
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.

Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing or recreational travel abroad.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.
  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.
Detailed information on handing money abroad can be found in your CIEE Program Handbook.


The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip fares, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is based partly on the UCEAP Program Budget for the program. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student fare to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
Pre-Departure Withdrawal Fees
Diversity at UCEAP
LGBTIQ Students
Laws and social attitudes in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) continue to pose significant risk to LGBT individuals. Though not illegal, homosexuality is culturally unacceptable in Jordan. Jordanian gays may be jailed and beaten by police.
Societal discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons is prevalent. A number of citizens reported sporadic police mistreatment of suspected or actual LGBT persons.
  • Be careful of cultural bias when assessing acceptance. Do not assume to understand mannerisms unless you are familiar with the culture.
  • Be cautious if engaging others in conversations about sexuality or LGBT issues.
​For more information,
Students with Disabilities
While in Jordan, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what is found in the United States. Outside of a few of the more expensive hotels in the capital, individuals with disabilities will find almost no accessible accommodations. Similarly, there are very few accessible restaurants, shops, or historical sites. Transportation is not accessible; sidewalks and crosswalks, even in the main cities, are not accessible. Handicap-accessible toilets and bathrooms, even in major hospitals, are generally not available.
UCEAP Insurance

Know Before you Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy.  Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term. Your UCEAP travel insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy is not the same as your campus or private insurance and it is does not meet ACA requirements for domestic coverage as required by U.S. law.  Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. Your travel insurance policy number is ADDN 04834823.  It is underwritten by ACE American Insurance Company.
There is no deductible or co-insurance but the travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis.  You can submit a claim for a refund of covered expenses to the UCEAP insurance carrier.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance.  Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country).  It is the patient's responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits and Claims

ACI at

CIEE Insurance

Know Before you Go

In addition to the UCEAP Travel Insurance policy (your primary coverage anywhere in the world), you will also be covered by the CIEE supplemental travel insurance (your secondary coverage) while abroad. These travel insurance policies are not considered ACA compliant for domestic coverage.
If you have questions about the UCEAP travel insurance coverage and benefits contact, ACI at
If you have questions about the CIEE insurance policy, visit  Or refer to your MyCIEE/Polaris account under the “Readings” section.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
During the CIEE on-site orientation, you will receive information on recommended hospitals, medical clinics, and individual physicians’ clinics. CIEE resident staff will assist you in finding appropriate health care as needed during the program, including transportation in case of a medical emergency.
Physical Health
Arriving in a new country is a very busy time and there are a lot of changes to go through. There are differences in food, weather and customs to cope with. In this type of situation, with all its stresses, you may find yourself paying less attention than usual to your health.
Existing health problems can also be made worse by the effects of adjusting to unfamiliar food, a different climate and the emotional strains of being away from home. It can be easy to concentrate on your studies and forget about taking care of yourself. Travel health is about prevention and common sense: Being aware of health issues that may arise and taking the appropriate measures to prevent illnesses and injuries when you are travelling not only for your own well-being, but for the people and communities you encounter during your trip.

Know Before you Go

Inform yourself before you travel.  Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care.  Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications
Mental Health
Your mental health is important to us all. Managing your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a history of anxiety, depression, or other mental health conditions – is something every person must think about when going abroad. Being away from usual stress at home can sometimes be a relief when abroad; experiencing new adventures can be a useful distraction. You will also have times when you feel confused, uncomfortable, annoyed, and many of the same emotions that you manage in your daily life at home. Read the Mobility International tips, Ups and Downs of International Travel.
Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.
If you are currently in treatment in the U.S., it is extremely important to discuss your study abroad plans and program details with your doctor. If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician well in advance about getting the supply you need for going abroad.  For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at  For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process.
Health Risks
Detailed information can be found in your CIEE Program Handbook.
Food Allergies
Air Quality
Prescription Medications


  • Understand your UCEAP travel insurance terms of coverage.
  • Although you should always travel with a copy of your prescription from your U.S. doctor, many pharmacies in other countries will only fill prescriptions written in that country. If you need a refill while abroad, you must see a local doctor to get a similar prescription that a pharmacy will fill. Note:​ If the visit to the local doctor is considered preventive care, it will not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.  It may be covered if you are insured through your campus health insurance plan.  It will be critical to have a letter from a U.S. doctor during this appointment explaining your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name. 
  • If you need to find out if this appointment would be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance, contact ACI at For more information about the UCEAP travel insurance, refer to your UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, or your pre-departure checklist, Insurance tab.
  • Two classes of medicines – narcotics and psychotropics – are under the control of international law. This covers any medicine that can have an effect on the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the potential to be abused. The narcotic class mostly relates to analgesic opioids and their derivatives (e.g. morphine and codeine) which tend to be highly regulated. Psychotropics are all those medications likely to be used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychotic conditions.

Before Departure

  • If you plan to purchase medication using the UCEAP Travel Insurance coverage, you must fill and pay for medication prescribed by a licensed physician when coverage is effective (14 days before the official start of the program).  Do not assume that your local pharmacy knows about the UCEAP travel insurance policy.  It is not the same as your campus health insurance coverage. You will need to pay for the medication and submit a claim to the UCEAP insurance.
  • Find out whether your medication is legal in your UCEAP country.
  • If intending to travel with prescription containing controlled substances, review international agreements governing the transportation of medications across borders check the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) website. The INCB is responsible for international drug control. If traveling with controlled substances, you must have a letter from your doctor. Generally, amphetamines (e.g., Adderall, Vyvanse) are illegal in other countries. Talk with your doctor to switch you to another medication.
  • Talk to your doctor to see whether he/she can prescribe an adequate supply of your prescription medication to last through the end of the program.  Ask your doctor how to adjust your dosage depending on time zone changes.
  • Get a letter from the prescribing physician on letterhead  indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name as brand names vary considerably around the world.

Traveling with prescription medications

  • Keep the medication in its original packaging. Ensure that it is clearly labelled with your full passport name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage. Carry it in your carry-on luggage. Do not pack the medications in your checked luggage.  
  • Carry copies of all original prescriptions.
  • Carry the letter on letterhead from the prescribing physician for all prescribed medications, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic names. This is extremely important in case you need treatment or a medication refill abroad.
If your particular medication cannot be taken into the country in quantities to last through your stay, talk to your doctor.  If you need to switch prescriptions, your doctor may need to make changes to your medication at least 3-6 months before departure, so you can have time to consult with your doctor on any resulting complications.  The letter from your doctor indicating condition, treatment and medication regimen, can help a local physician to assess you and to consider reissuing your prescription provided it is licensed in your UCEAP country. Note that the local doctor's appointment for medication refill may not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.
Consult with ACI, Read more in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health section.
Food Allergies
If you have severe food allergies should take precautions, as the cuisine may include ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis in those affected. A language barrier increases the risks associated with severe food allergies. 
Precautions to take include:
  • Research the local cuisine. Be aware that some popular local sauces may contain nuts.
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor six to eight weeks before departure to discuss your treatment plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need to prevent an adverse reaction like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, with your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions for assistance in both English and the local language. Wearing medical identification at all times can help should a life-threatening reaction occur.
  • Tell others about your food allergy. If traveling with friends, make sure they are trained on your allergies, how to recognize an allergic reaction, and how to administer your epinephrine auto-injector.
  • At restaurants and food markets, use apps to help you translate if you’re not fluent in the official language. Use Google Translate and Allergy Smartz. Carry a card written in English and the local language explaining what foods cause allergies and possible reaction. Make several copies in case you lose one. Have a native speaker verify that you have written everything correctly.
  • Ask for a waiter/waitress who speaks English to help you choose a safe menu item. Some restaurants will have menus in English, but it varies.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Staying Safe
​Exercise a high degree of caution and pay close attention to your security at all times. Extremists have expressed a desire to conduct attacks targeting Western visitors to Jordan.

You are responsible for observing all CIEE security guidelines/policies.  Any violation of security guidelines/policies may lead to a disciplinary warning.  Repeated violations may result in dismissal.


UCEAP students are prohiibted from going anywhere near (10 Kilometers/7 Miles) the Jordan-Syria and Jordan-Iraq borders, including secured refugee camps on border areas. 

All students must signout online through MyEAP for any travel outside Amman. 
Minimize Risk

 The purpose of this advice is to provide up-to-date information so you can make well-informed decisions.

Staying safe in another country is similar to staying safe in a large U.S. city. Understand the potential threats, know which neighborhoods to avoid, and remain vigilant. Be proactive about your safety.
With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing risks. To be able to identify risks at any of your destinations, you need to properly outline what activities you will be engaging in through your program and/or during independent travel. Name the risk and rate it based on the severity and likelihood.  Consider what measures you will be taking to reduce the severity and chance. If you will be traveling, think about how you are getting to your destination and/or any travel inside a country.  Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.  Car accidents are often a high risk in developing countries.
UCEAP and its partners provide resources and support services to help you have a safe experience while abroad. You have the primary responsibility to prepare before departure, to research and be aware of the risks involved in your planned travels, to be physically, academically, and mentally prepared for the program, to know about your insurance coverage provided to you by UCEAP, to know how to get help during an emergency, to behave in a safe and respectful manner, and to bring any concerns you may have to the attention of UCEAP and its partners.

There are steps you can take to manage, or minimize, risk and avoid being a victim of a crime:

  1. Stop and think.
  2. Pay attention to your surroundings and to what is happening around you at all times.
  3. Be aware of what is unusual or threatening.
  4. Trust your "gut feelings", your intuition; if you feel threatened, leave the area immediately and find somewhere more secure.
  5. Read about the country and the city before departure. Inform yourself of risks you can encounter while traveling.
  6. Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying in control of your drinking.
  7. Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  8. Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?
While you are traveling in Jordan, you are subject to its laws even if you are a U.S. citizen. Foreign laws and legal systems can be vastly different from the U.S.
Do not travel to the Jordanian/Syrian border and locations in close proximity to the border, including the Za’atri refugee camp. U.S. Embassy personnel must travel in armored vehicles equipped with Regional Security Officer-monitored tracking devices. Additionally, the Jordanian Public Security Directorate (PSD) must assess requests prior to travel commencing to determine the suitability of the journey and, if necessary, arrange for additional security measures.

Police Response

The Jordanian Public Security Directorate (PSD) is professional and well trained. The PSD has extensive patrols in the more affluent areas of west Amman, such as the Abdoun, Zahran, and Sweifiyeh neighborhoods.
Police forces also patrol locations where foreigners tend to congregate, such as hotels, restaurants, and popular tourist sites like the Roman Coliseum and the ruins of "Philadelphia" in downtown Amman. In refugee camps on the outskirts of Amman police presence is virtually non-existent; most officers prefer not to enter these camps. Police response time in affluent areas is three-five minutes, but it is likely to be longer in other areas of the city. The PSD maintains a 24-hour emergency switchboard that can be reached by dialing 911 from any telephone in Amman. Many PSD officers in Amman speak some English. They are usually efficient and will provide a copy of the police report if requested.
Crime & Prevention
The most common form of crime is petty in nature, especially at tourist sites and crowded areas. Increase your vigilance in areas where pickpockets and opportunistic thieves are known to operate.

Violence at universities continues to be problematic, as many assaults taking place on university campuses involve weapons.

There is a continued trend of internet scams, primarily using fictitious social media accounts purporting to be current or former U.S. government officials.  

Avoid walking alone at night or in secluded areas, refrain from displaying cash or expensive jewelry, and stay away from relatively poor areas, particularly in downtown Amman.
Avoid wearing clothing with slogans or logos that reveal your nationality. Consider avoiding clothing or jewelry that would identify you as Jewish or Israeli.
Anti-American sentiment does exist due largely to regional political issues or conflicts, especially the Israeli-Palestinian peace process and perceptions regarding U.S. involvement or lack of involvement in the Syria conflict.
Detailed information can be found in your CIEE Program Handbook.
Civil Unrest
Avoid all demonstrations.
If caught in a potentially violent situation, immediately seek shelter in upscale hotels or large public buildings, such as libraries, theaters, hospitals, or museums.
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Motor vehicle accidents: This is the single greatest risk to your safety in Jordan.Fatality rates are four times higher than in the U.S. Excessive speeding is common, especially by owners of high-end sport cars. "Stop" and "Yield" signs are often ignored.

Traffic accidents are frequent and continue to be the largest cause of injury and death in Jordan. Drivers and passengers are required to wear seatbelts, and all cars must have a fire extinguisher and warning triangle in the vehicle. Drivers can be aggressive, and cars operate very closely together on the highways. Jordanian roads are particularly treacherous during the rainy season, which runs from December to March.
US Embassy officials are not authorized to use public buses due to security concerns but are allowed to use marked taxi cabs.
Amman and the rest of Jordan, lack any proper (fast, cheap) public transportation – only buses and taxis are available. Buses do not have any schedules, particular stops or apparent (to a non-local) routes.

Pedestrian Safety

Car accidents represent a major problem in Jordan. Many car accidents in Jordan involve pedestrians. There are no designated crosswalks.
The steep terrain and heavy traffic remains challenging for pedestrians. The Eastern Mediterranean region ranks second among WHO (World Health Organization) regions in the proportion of pedestrian deaths among all road traffic deaths (28%), after the African Region (38%).
As a pedestrian, it is your responsibility to make yourself visible and avoid dangerous behavior and situations. Be careful and attentive.
Traffic is heavy in major cities, and pedestrians are numerous. Sidewalks are sometimes narrow or may be lacking. Motorists may not stop for pedestrians in crossings. Look carefully in both directions before crossing streets, even when using a marked crosswalk.
Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault
Women from Western countries visiting and residing in Jordan have periodically reported incidents of sexual harassment, stalking, and indecent exposure. The Embassy continues to receive a limited number of reports regarding incidents of sexual assaults involving taxis and taxi drivers. Many of the incidents have involved verbal sexual harassment, staring, or following the victim, but some have included physical assaults. To decrease the likelihood of being victimized while using a taxi, foreign women should take precautions such as avoiding travel to unfamiliar areas at night, not traveling alone, not riding in the front seat of a taxi, and dressing modestly when in public. We also recommend carrying a cellular telephone at all times and immediately reporting incidents to the police.
According to the law sexual harassment is strictly prohibited. The law does not make a distinction between sexual assault and sexual harassment. Both carry a minimum prison sentence of four years with hard labor. As recent as 2012, the government did not enforce this law in practice. Women’s groups stated that harassment was common, but many victims were hesitant to file a complaint and rarely did so because they feared blame for inciting the harassment or consequences such as losing their job, or because they faced social and cultural pressure to keep silent. NGOs reported that foreign migrant workers, including garment workers and domestic workers, were especially vulnerable to sexual harassment, including sexual assault, in the workplace.
  • To decrease the likelihood of being victimized while using a taxi, take precautions such as avoiding travel to unfamiliar areas at night, not traveling alone, not riding in the front seat of a taxi, and dressing modestly when in public.
  • Dressing modestly, including wearing a scarf, may be the most important step you can take to minimize harassment. A serious incident occurred in Amman involving an international student within the past years.  The student was saved from a mob by a passerby. Be extremely cautious wherever you are.
  • Carry a cellular telephone charged and on at all times.

There are reports of sexual assault in Jordan. Alcohol consumption and cross-cultural differences in gender relations were associated with these assaults to some degree.

Intolerance/Discrimination and Harassment
​Incidents of unprovoked, violent harassment against racial and ethnic minorities can occur in Amman and other cities. Report any incident immediately to CIEE local staff.
Women do not have the same legal status and rights as men and experienced discrimination in a number of areas, including inheritance, divorce, ability to travel, child custody, citizenship, pension and social security benefits, the workplace, and, in certain circumstances, the value of their testimony in a Sharia court.

Dress Code

Dress codes are very conservative. Shorts are never appropriate for males or females, regardless of the weather or activity. Halter-tops or tight-fitting apparel worn by women are considered offensive and provocative by Jordanians and must not be worn.


You may experience varying levels of harassment, such as having stones thrown at you by children, being called derogatory names by teenagers, and being subject to overt sexual comments. 


Sex outside marriage is judged harshly in Jordan and may jeopardize your safety and/or ability to develop mutually respectful relationships in your community. Muslim women may be subject to severe retribution, even death, in the name of family honor.
Terrorist attacks in Jordan are highly likely. Attacks could be indiscriminate including in places visited by foreigners, particularly hotels, shopping malls, tourist sites or locations marking New Year festivities.
  • Exercise caution and in the event of an incident follow the advice of the Jordanian authorities.
Fire Safety
Follow these general fire safety tips. Most college-related fires in the U.S. are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the U.S. Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Warning after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, U.S. Embassy, U.S. Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy voluntary departure on U.S. government-arranged flights, that require U.S. citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP, is covered by UCEAP insurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the U.S.

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.