Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Apr-Oct: + 17 hrs
Nov-Mar: + 19 hrs
Australian Universities

- Fall

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Specialists advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Program Advisor​
Michelle Harvancik
Phone: (805) 893-5926; E-mail: 
Operations Specialist
Jeanie O’Connell
Phone: (805) 893-5926; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Andrea Nuernberger
Phone: (805) 893-2810; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Gildas Hallé
Phone: (805) 893-2761; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Predeparture Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP Australia page.

Study Center Abroad

UCEAP programs in Australia are administered from the UCEAP Melbourne Study Center by the Program Officer, Kay Harmes. Additional support is available at each host university. See University Contacts in Australia in this guide for your primary host university contact.
On-site staff routinely monitor local and international conditions and provide support, counseling, and safety advisories. UCEAP Study Centers are supported by UC, a network of international offices at every UC campus, and the UCEAP Systemwide Office. The UCEAP network also includes U.S. embassies and consulates, the U.S. Department of State, and other international student exchange programs at each site.

Contact Information

Ms. Kay Harmes, Program Officer
University of California, Education Abroad Program
Suite 1314, Level 13
530 Little Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone (from the U.S.):011 61 3 96 212 718
Phone (within Australia) : 0396 212 718
After-hours emergency phone (from the U.S.):011 614 08 317 296
After-hours emergency phone (within Australia):0408 317 296
Fax (from the U.S.):011 61 3 96 212 728

University Contacts in Australia

Do not communicate directly with these representatives until you have been referred to a host university by the UCEAP Study Center.

The Australian National University, Canberra

Ms. Bahaar Grover
Global Porgrams Coordinator
Global Programs and Engagement
Building X-005
121 Marcus Clarke Street
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
Phone: (02) 6125-7229
CRICOS Provider No.: 00120C

The University of Melbourne

Belinda Price
Education Abroad Advisor
Melbourne Global Mobility
John Smyth Building
The University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010 Australia
Phone: (03) 9035-6114; Fax: (03) 9348-2054
CRICOS Provider No.: 00116K
The University of New South Wales, Sydney
Elena Longo
Global Education Office
Ground Floor, East Wing, Red Centre Building
The University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052
Phone: (02) 9385 5337
CRICOS Provider No.: 00098G

The University of Queensland, Brisbane

Ms Julie Huberman
Exchange Advisor, UQ International
Level 2, J.D. Story Building
The University of Queensland
Brisbane QLD 4072 Australia

Phone: (07) 3365 2638
CRICOS Provider No.: 00025B

The University of Sydney

Ms. Dimity Hyde
Exchange Advisor, Sydney Abroad
Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building G02
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

Phone: (02) 8627 1903
CRICOS Provider No.: 00026A


Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code:..........011 (dial this first to call from the U.S.)
Add Australia country code:......61
Add city code: example, Melbourne is 3, Brisbane is 7. etc.
Cell phone code: .......................4

Approximate Time Difference

Add 17 hours April through October; add 19 hours November through March
Academic Information
Program Overview
The program offers you the opportunity to become fully integrated into the academic life at one of the Australian host universities. Each term, you will have available a selection of regular host university courses linked to your major or other departments as well as unique special-interest courses relating to Australia. We encourage you to take advantage of both to achieve your academic goals and to immerse yourself in the fascinating Australian culture.
Please see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad for critical academic information and policies, including unit requirements, taking less than the program requirements, the MyEAP Study List registration process, changing courses, petitions, and grades. While abroad, direct all academic questions to the Australia Study Center Program Officer first, with one exception: direct any questions regarding satisfying home department degree or major requirements through UCEAP coursework to your home UC department or college advisor.
Australian faculty and staff can be helpful in understanding how your host university works. Remember, however, that they work with students from many North American colleges, and they are not responsible for knowing specific UCEAP academic requirements or exceptions. The person who can answer those questions is the Melbourne-based UCEAP Australia Study Center Program Officer, who is in close contact with all Australia UCEAP partner universities. Contact her to resolve any academic (or other) concerns, confusion, questions, or difficulties throughout your program. You should also let her know about any issues that may impact your academic performance (illness, housing problems, personal issues, anxiety, or similar concerns) throughout your time in Australia.

Program Calendar

Review the calendar in your program’s Participants page often. Dates are posted online as they become available.
The academic year runs from February to late November or early December, depending on your host university. Fall program participants will begin the program in the second term of the Australian academic year, usually in July.
Academic Culture

Academic Culture

Visit the Australia page to learn more about your host university.
Studying at an Australian university will complement your UC studies in a number of challenging ways. Australian undergraduate education is run more like American graduate education. There is much more specialization at the undergraduate level and students at Australian universities are expected to work much more independently than are those in the U.S. Australian students often begin specializing in their major area (“course”) in high school, so they may be more advanced than UC students in the same grade level.
Students typically attend lectures and tutorials (usually small discussion groups). During tutorials, which are often led by the instructors rather than by TAs, you will take short tests, write and analyze papers, and discuss lectures and readings. Instructor office hours often immediately follow the tutorials. Advanced classes frequently follow a seminar format.
The normal undergraduate degree program is a three-year program; students generally take courses only in their major (known as their “course”) for all three years. Since third‑year courses in Australia correspond to fourth-year advanced courses for UC majors, they generally require more previous knowledge and coursework than those at UC. Be careful about enrolling in “honours” courses; they are often intended for students entering graduate programs in that discipline.

Academic Life

Australian upper-level courses tend to be highly specialized and designed for advanced students; such courses demand strong writing skills and greater academic independence than may be the case at UC. Most courses involve little or no evaluation until the end of the semester; in many cases, performance on exams or papers completed during the last two weeks of the semester determines most of your grade. The library at each host university may stock copies of previous exams, which will be useful in outlining what you are expected to learn.
Courses do not automatically provide specific reading assignments, midterm exams, detailed instructions on what is expected in written assignments, or advice and practice questions in preparation for the final exam. Textbooks are not assigned in many courses. Classes meet for relatively few hours except in the laboratory sciences. Instead, you may get a long reference list or reading list with little guidance about what items are most important or how to use it to study for exams and write papers.
Because your grade may be based on assignments or exams late in the term only, you will have to discipline yourself to manage your workload throughout the term. Students sometimes are happy to have nothing due for six or eight weeks, but mistakenly think that this means they do not need to work and study throughout this time. Instructors expect a level of work that reflects independent work throughout the semester; not a week or weekend of cramming at the end.
Keep in mind that your Australian classmates are culturally adapted to studying within this system, and they are used to successfully managing their time to balance studies with clubs, sports, and socializing. They may appear relaxed and may not seem stressed about their workload, but most are steadily working throughout the semester to prepare for their final exams.
In general, Australian faculty expect that students seeking top grades will go beyond what is required and take advantage of all the resources provided. They are generally quite friendly and helpful to students who seek guidance, but they expect students to take responsibility for their own education, rather than waiting until the last minute.

Glossary of Academic Terms

Major Course
School/College (e.g., School of Engineering) Faculty
Course (e.g., History 40a) Unit/topic/subject/class
Professor/Faculty Member Academic Staff/Lecturer
Grades Marks
College/School/University Uni
Course Information

Program Description

Each term, students enroll in regular host university courses in their majors or related fields, as well as special interest courses relating to Australia or other areas of interest.

Course Information

You are required to take a full-time course of study and enroll in a minimum of 24 UC quarter units each term. The usual course load is four classes per semester (there are very few year-long courses), but this depends on the university and the courses selected (see chart below). First-year Australian courses will usually appear on the UC record as lower division, while second- and third-year courses will typically translate to upper-division courses at UC. Consult your department advisor regarding the background required for particular courses, especially those offered at the third-year or honours level.
UCEAP will give you considerable flexibility when it comes to planning an academic program, but be sure to inquire thoroughly about course prerequisites. Follow the advice of the host university International Office staff on course difficulty and course load.
However, remember that they advise all visiting students and are not responsible for knowing specific UCEAP requirements. If you receive guidance that seems to contradict what you’ve heard from any UC or UCEAP staff, contact the UCEAP Study Center Program Officer. She will either clear up any confusion, or refer you to the correct person.
In addition to registering at your host university, you must also complete your MyEAP Registration Study List. The Program Officer will guide you through this process and advise you of deadlines for course changes and petitions. Be sure to read all e-mails from her during the registration process and review your final Study List carefully, as it determines how your Australian courses will appear on your UC transcript.
Australian program requirements are 24 UC quarter units each term, which is equivalent to:
Points/Units at HOST
Australian National University
24 points
Four 6-point courses
University of Melbourne
50 points
Four 12.5-point courses
University of New South Wales
24 points
Four 6-point courses
University of Queensland
8 units
Four 2-unit courses
University of Sydney
24 units
Four 6-unit courses
The UCEAP Study Center in Australia converts Australian grades to UC grades. Fall grades are usually available late January to early February. Spring grades are usually available mid-August to mid-September.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
You may consider an independent study or research course where you conduct research with a host university professor, or an internship for course credit. For example, UCEAP students in Australia have recently done research with faculty members in plant biology, computer science, and sociology, and have interned at public schools and arts museums. You will need to work out the academic details with the appropriate host university or internship institution individuals and then receive approval from the Study Center. While many Australian universities have their own courses in which you may register for independent study or research, you may be required to complete a Special Study Project form. The Program Officer will guide you through this process.
An exciting internship opportunities is the Australian National Internship Program (ANIP), offered through the Australia National University (ANU). Students participating in ANIP are placed in internships within the Federal Parliament, Australian Public Service, the Australian Capital Legislative Assembly or Public Service, or with non-governmental organizations. Most recently, a UCEAP student participating in ANIP was placed with the ACT Legislative Assembly, a state-level parliament in Australia.
Additional internship opportunities are listed on the Internship tab on each host university's UCEAP Program Page.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Students enrolled in the spring program may extend to the year option. Submit the Departmental/College Preliminary Approval to Extend (DPA) prior to departure and activate it once abroad by contacting Kay Harmes, the UCEAP Program Officer. She will help you complete the final step, the Request for Final Approval.
There is no option to automatically extend participation from the fall semester to the following spring term. If you are a fall participant and you wish to stay for the spring, request to submit a separate (late) application for the spring term. Let your UC study abroad advisor know if you are interested in this process.​
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
“The people are immensely likable— cheerful, extrovert, quick-witted, and unfailingly obliging.” ― Bill Bryson, In a Sunburned Country
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites such as Lonely Planet are excellent resources. You can keep up with current events in advance of your arrival by reading Australian newspapers online as well.
You will not find very dramatic differences between Australian culture and U.S. culture, but here are some guidelines to help you adjust:
  • Australians are very proud of their own country, its identity, and its cultural institutions, and they will welcome your interest in and knowledge of them. Knowing the basics of Australian geography, history and politics is an important contribution to engaging with Australians and making friends
  • Australian university students (and foreign students from other countries) enjoy vigorous debate, sometimes about US foreign policy and culture. As a UC student, you need to engage in such debates respectfully and thoughtfully.
  • UQ offers some quick tips to jump start your adjustment to Australian culture at


Metric System
Measurements are metric in Australia. Highway signs (distance, speed control, etc.) are expressed in kilometers, weather forecasts predict temperatures in degrees Celsius, weights are expressed in kilograms or tonnes, and liquid volume is in litres.
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

Official UCEAP Start Date

Arrange to arrive at your host university by the “Last Date to Arrive”, which you will find under the calendar tab posted to your UCEAP Participants' Page. You must make your own flight and travel arrangements to arrive at your host university for the mandatory orientation program. Many universities recommend arriving early to acclimate, find housing, etc. If departing from the West Coast, be sure to allow two calendar days for the flight.
The start date of your program can change due to unforeseen circumstances. You are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any unrecoverable transportation charges incurred if you make an adjustment to your travel arrangements.
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.

Host University Orientation

Each host university will hold its own orientation. Attendance at the host university orientation is absolutely mandatory for all UCEAP participants. For the date of the mandatory international students’ orientation and the semester start date, check the program calendar on the UCEAP Participants' Page as well as your host university website (pay special attention to your host university's web page for international and exchange students). Further, during each host university’s orientation week (“O Week”), there are opportunities to sign up for optional activities and organized holiday trips with clubs and interest groups. Some universities have optional welcome activities (at an extra expense) that offer great opportunities to meet people and learn about life in Australia. If your budget will allow, jump right in and sign up for everything!
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip fares, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
You must make your own flight and travel arrangements to arrive in Australia and attend your host university's mandatory orientation program. To determine the date by which you must arrive in your Australian host city or town, see the “Last Date to Arrive” on the calendar tab that is posted to the UCEAP Participant's Page. Many universities recommend arriving early to acclimate, find housing, etc. If departing from the West Coast, be sure to allow two calendar days for the flight.
You are responsible for reserving and purchasing your own airline ticket (even if you are on full financial aid; the Financial Aid Office will not provide this service). Be sure to make round-trip arrangements; the visa application requires a return date. You are strongly urged to purchase a changeable airline ticket. Standby tickets are not appropriate.
Because flights are sometimes changed or canceled, you are urged to confirm your flight schedule online or with the airline about two weeks before departure.
The start date of your program can change due to unforeseen circumstances. You are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any unrecoverable transportation charges incurred if you make an adjustment to your travel arrangements.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is based partly on the UCEAP Program Budget for the program. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student fare to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
Travel Documents

Student Visa

To enter Australia and study there, you must obtain a student visa. The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship offers online visa applications for U.S. citizens participating in a one- or two-semester program abroad. Instructions are included in the Predeparture Checklist, which can be found on the UCEAP Participants web page.
Non-U.S. citizens should contact the Australian embassy in Washington, DC, to learn about special entry requirements related to their citizenship. The application process for non-U.S. citizens often takes much longer than it does for U.S. citizens.
After you have been selected by your campus and the UCEAP Systemwide Office has received your completed application, your documents will be forwarded to your assigned host university for consideration. The host university will process your application and, if approved, will issue you an acceptance letter. You must verify that you accept the offer by returning the university’s acceptance form per their specific instructions. Once your Australian university receives your signed acceptance form, their international admissions office will issue you an electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) number. You will use your CoE number to apply online for your student visa.
Consult the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for detailed information and instructions about the student visa application process.

Consular Health Requirement

During the e-visa application process, you may be notified by the online system that you must complete a consular health clearance requirement. This is unrelated to the UCEAP health clearance, and the UCEAP clearance and forms are not accepted for this purpose. If you are told to complete this health requirement, you must comply. If you are notified that you must get the health exam and chest x-ray, take action quickly, get the exam done, and send the required medical forms to the embassy without delay. If you have a serious medical condition or suspect that you have been exposed to TB, you may want to use the “long form” of the student visa application from the start, rather than apply online. If you choose this longer paper application process (not available as an online process), UCEAP can give you more information about the forms needed for the medical exam and required chest x-ray.
You can contact the Embassy of Australia at the address below:
The Embassy of Australia in Washington, DC
1601 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036-2273
Phone: (202) 797-3000
Fax: (202) 797-3168

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Students who are granted DACA are strongly encouraged to consult an immigration attorney to evaluate the risks of potentially being unable to re-enter the United States and any impact that participation in UCEAP might have on any deferred action application. If you are undocumented and have not been granted DACA, we strongly encourage you not to leave the country.
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.

What to Bring

  • Outerwear for wet and cool weather
  • Sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and swimwear
  • Clothing that can be layered
  • Equipment, shoes, and clothing for sports or recreational activities
  • Toiletries (soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.) for the first several weeks
  • Cosmetics (as many of your favorites as you can pack; they are expensive in Australia)
  • Towels
  • A sleeping bag is highly recommended for travel and for use as a comforter during cold weather
  • Laptop

Do Not Pack

  • Small electrical appliances such as hair dryers and electric toothbrushes (these cannot be used in Australia)
  • Meat, vegetable, or nut products; Australia has very strict quarantine laws

General Tips

When traveling, always keep your passport, visa, ticket, prescription medications, and money with you. Never put valuables in your checked luggage. Carry only what is necessary; leave extra credit cards at home. Luggage and weight restrictions vary by airline. Travel lightly and pack your belongings in suitcases and backpacks that are small enough to lift.
Although your UCEAP Insurance Plan offers coverage on lost or destroyed property, you should assess the Personal Property Benefit provided in the policy and verify that it is adequate for your needs.
Identify each item of luggage on the inside and outside with your name, home address, and destination. To avoid theft, never leave luggage unattended. Do not ask others to carry any items abroad for you (laptop, camera, extra bags, etc.) and do not volunteer to do so for others. Airlines may not allow you to take them and customs abroad may charge you a high duty. This is particularly a concern with electronic goods.
Neat, casual dress is generally adequate for all but the most formal occasions. The universities may hold various balls during the year. Formal wear is required for these events, but it can be borrowed or purchased at secondhand shops.
Australian clothing costs are very high and selection is much more limited than in the U.S. Hair and toiletry items are also significantly more expensive in Australia.


Australia’s climate ranges from tropical to cool temperate. Seasons are reversed: summer begins in December and winter begins in June. The long Australian summers range from warm to hot over the entire continent. Winters are generally mild, although Canberra, Melbourne, and Adelaide are among the colder areas.
Expect the first three months of semester one in Australia to be warm to hot, with frequent periods of short-duration rain. Rain is unpredictable and can come at any time. The months of June through September are generally colder, with the temperature dropping into the 30s (Fahrenheit) fairly often at night in Melbourne and Canberra. Frost and snow are rare. During winter, overcast conditions and frequent brief rains are common. In mid-winter, Canberra experiences the most sunshine, Melbourne and Adelaide the most rain, and Sydney the cloudiest days. Brisbane and Sydney are humid. Melbourne is known for frequently having all four seasons in a day.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protections for your property, as in spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
UCEAP's travel insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  UCEAP strongly recommends you to examine the details of the UCEAP travel insurance benefits and to purchase additional property insurance coverage, especially to protect high cost items such as laptop computers, MP3 players, and other valuables. Review the policy carefully before departure and determine if it provides adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
You may decide to purchase additional coverage, especially for high-value electronics (e.g., computer, tablets, camera, etc.). If you decide to do so, purchase supplemental coverage before departure because most theft occurs in the airport or while moving into housing. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. You can safeguard your belongings from damage or theft by locking your room and securing money, travelers checks, jewelry, passport, and other possessions. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables. Avoid wearing expensive clothing or jewelry and going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Minimize your vulnerability by staying in control of your drinking and your behavior. Do not invite casual acquaintances or strangers home.
Return Transportation
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip fares, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase a ticket that allows changes to the return date.
The estimated airfare amount in the UCEAP Program Budget is based on the cost of a changeable round-trip student ticket.
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.

Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad
Plan to access an ATM at the airport when you land. International airports and tourist areas offer money exchange services, but ATMs are the most convenient and economical way to obtain Australian dollars.
Australian currency is made of colorful plastic; bills of different denominations are different sizes. There are no pennies; amounts are rounded up or down automatically to the nearest 5 cents.

Financial Aid Students

Be knowledgeable about your program fees and understand how your financial aid will be applied toward these fees. Disbursements are issued only after you accept and approve the financial aid package and pay the required fees. If you are in the year program, it is your responsibility to contact the UC Financial Aid Office to apply for financial aid for the upcoming academic year or fall semester.


You can open a savings or checking account in Australia. Banks are located on or near all university campuses.
Australian checking accounts are more costly than those in the U.S. and are based largely around online bill paying. Paper checks are not widely used. To open an Australian bank account, you need “100 points” of ID documents, a prescribed point system of valid identification.

Credit Cards

Many stores and restaurants honor major credit cards, particularly Visa and MasterCard, but small stores and restaurants only accept cash. Australians often use a PIN on credit cards, rather than signing. U.S. credit and debit cards usually charge a 1–3 percent exchange fee for international purchases, so check with your bank for details. Occasionally, there have been reports of American credit cards not having the necessary security features to use in the Australian system, but this is unusual.

ATM Card

UCEAP returnees report that the most convenient way to obtain cash is through an ATM. Check on the fees imposed by your bank for using the card internationally as well as the fees imposed by the Australian ATM.
Communications Abroad
Internet Access


You will receive an e-mail account when you enroll at your host university. You will be responsible for checking both your UC and host university e-mail accounts. Many students use an independent e-mail provider (e.g., Gmail) and have their university e-mails forwarded to that account.
Take with you or know how to access the fax and e-mail addresses of your UC academic advisors, Financial Aid Office, and Campus UCEAP Office.

Computer & Internet Access

Although many students bring laptops, most campuses have computers for student use. Internet access is much more limited in Australia. Students pay for a limited amount of broadband (rather than unlimited access once broadband is purchased in the U.S.). Some students find that a USB wireless broadband card is the most efficient way to get Internet access, especially if they live off campus. Campuses restrict broadband usage severely as well. Students are also restricted from some U.S. video sites (such as Hulu).

Mobile Phones

Most students get cell (mobile) phones, and there are many different carriers in Australia. Many students use Skype or other computer phone/video services to talk to friends and family back home. However, limits on Internet may make this difficult.
Mobile phones have many international calling plans, and text messaging is very common. If you are staying in Australia for a year you may save money with a yearly contract. If you are studying for a semester, you can purchase prepaid phones, or bring you own phones and buy a new SIM card once you arrive.
Mail & Shipments
Mail service within Australia is comparable to other world postal operations, and airmail service to the U.S. is efficient; letters and packages to the U.S. arrive in about one to two weeks. There is no Saturday mail service in Australia.
Time Zones
Australia is almost one day ahead of California. When Australia is on daylight saving time and California is on standard time (November through March), Australia is 19 hours ahead of California. The time differential becomes 17 hours when California goes on daylight saving time and Australia goes on standard time. There are three time zones in Australia (eastern, central, and western) during the winter months. Eastern Standard Time (EST) is used in Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney, and Wollongong. Adelaide, which is in the Central Standard time zone, is one half hour behind EST. Perth, which is in the Western Standard time zone, is two hours behind EST. There are five time zones in Australia during the summer months since Queensland, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory do not observe daylight saving time.
Housing & Meals
Housing Overview
First, please be well aware that you are responsible for selecting, securing, and paying for your semester housing, even if you are on financial aid. Semester housing for the Australia program is not prearranged and it is not included in your UCEAP fees (see your budget under the Money Matters tab, which can be found on the Participants web page).
Each university has a housing office where you can obtain information about on- and off-campus housing. While it can be very practical to live in the university halls of residence or other university-managed facilities, past UCEAP students have also rented private flats (apartments) and shared rental houses. These vary in quality and cost and are at a premium near the universities, but most students have reported good experiences with private rentals.
University-specific housing information is usually included with the acceptance letter/packet that is sent to you by your host university (most send these electronically). If housing information is not included, you can 1) contact the host university directly to request the information, and 2) see the host university’s web page on housing and accommodations for international students (links provided in following sections).
In the next sections you will find some general information about university-managed accommodation and private rentals in Australian university towns and cities, including a a comparison of on- and -off campus housing features. Most of the notes addressing the specific host universities’ housing options are based on direct input from past and recent UCEAP students.
Housing Options

Housing Options

You have three broad housing options:
  1. Residential colleges
  2. University-affiliated apartments
  3. Off-campus housing (rental or house share)
Each option has advantages and disadvantages, and all are discussed on each university’s housing website. Specific housing information will also be included with the acceptance letter from your host university. At many of the universities you can apply for housing before acceptance. If this is an option at your host university, apply as soon as possible to increase your chances of getting campus housing. Offerings and circumstances change, so be sure to check all information online or with your host university!
Each university has a housing office where you can obtain information about on- and off-campus housing. While it can be very practical to live in the university halls of residence or other university-managed facilities, UCEAP returnees have also rented private flats (apartments) and shared rental houses. These vary in quality and cost and are at a premium near the universities, but most students have reported good experiences with private rentals.

Important Notes on Housing:

  • Dorm life is much different from UC culture; many students who live on campus are from other countries (Australia has a large number of non-Australians enrolled in degree programs). Most Australian students live at home while attending university. They do not move away to attend university unless they live in rural areas.
  • Be aware of the proximity of rentals to campus. Distances often take much longer to travel than in most of California. There are few highways and a lot of traffic. For instance, a 5-mile commute in Melbourne can easily take 45 minutes or more on public transport.
  • Consider living on campus. It makes more sense to live on campus in some locations than others. Students at the Australian National University, La Trobe University, the University of Western Australia, and University of Wollongong often prefer on-campus housing for a variety of reasons, including location and a difficult housing market.
  • For general off-campus rentals and shared housing, you can reference the following websites; however, local housing offices and bulletin boards are usually a better option.
  • For on- and off-campus housing, see your host university housing website:

Residential colleges


You can set up housing in a residential college before you leave the U.S. and likely move straight in when you arrive. Almost all residential colleges are very close to campus and most are on campus. Almost all have one student per room. Most provide academic facilities, like computing, support, tutoring, and general help learning about bureaucracy, available facilities (library, gym, banks, etc.), public transport, places to go, and special deals. Nearly all have social, cultural, and sporting programs, which are mostly good or outstanding. The friends you  make may have cars, which can introduce opportunities like camping and excursions; some may be from rural areas and invite you home for the break.


Residential colleges are usually the most expensive option. Often, the residents are international students, which makes meeting Aussies difficult, and many may be first-year students living away from home for the first time. There may be rules or restrictions you don’t like.
You may encounter “Fresher” initiation during O-Week. Although new student initiations are something that universities in Australia do not endorse, they exist in varying degrees at different residential colleges. While some UC students find these activities harmless, others may be disturbed by the rituals that take place at the beginning of the school year and/or semester at some residences and may see these as hazing. Keep the following in mind:
  • Participation is not required; you can freely choose to opt out of such practices.
  • If you feel threatened at any time, contact the UCEAP Study Center, the College Dean of Students, and/or the International Office of your host university.
In addition, you may not like the food; it may be inferior to UC dorm food and there may be only one main dish option per meal. Eating hours tend to be more restricted than at UC. A few colleges, however, are self-catering; each floor or suite has a kitchen, and you can buy your own food and cook individually or in groups.
University accommodations are generally closed during holidays and other times when the university is not in session. At some host institutions, extra lodging costs are charged during orientation, school breaks, and holidays. The duration of the housing contract may be a full year. Before signing, read the fine print, ask questions, and be fully informed about the cancelation policy.

University-Owned or University-Affiliated Apartments


You can set up housing before you leave the U.S. and likely move straight in when you arrive. Almost all university-owned/affiliated apartments are close to campus. They are cheaper than colleges, but still more expensive than off-campus housing. Some provide extra facilities, like computing or Internet connections. It can make social life easier, since your neighbors will also be students. You will have more freedom and fewer required or expected activities than in the residential colleges.


Some (not all) are a poor value for the cost, with small rooms, maybe two in a room, cumbersome and unresponsive management, inadequate cooking facilities (e.g., a hotplate), extra charges for phone, Internet, and laundry, etc. There may be rules you don’t like (curfew, noise, guests) imposed by management without consultation. The social life may be minimal, with no programs, rooms too small for guests, and no common areas. Again, many students will likely be international and first-year students, as well as some graduate students.
Read the lease carefully. Former semester students have realized too late that they signed on for a year. There are almost always high costs involved with leaving before the lease is up. UCEAP is not in a position to negotiate on your behalf.

Off-Campus Apartments and Shared Houses


Usually, this is the cheapest option, with the most freedom and your own room. Kitchen/cooking facilities and common areas are adequate, and there are no restrictions with guests. Good roommates can become close friends and introduce you to their friends. If they are Australians, they may know good places to go and can generally ease you into the local life. Many students felt that getting the housing they really wanted was worth the inconvenience of not knowing where they would live in advance.


It’s challenging to set up off-campus housing before arriving in Australia. It’s usually best to see the place and meet your roommates before committing to a living arrangement. A bad roommate can dominate your life. Australia has some shoddy apartments and gouging landlords, just like the U.S. Apartments are often unfurnished, although student flats and shared houses will be furnished. Prices can be high the closer you get to the university. You need to be careful with the lease, which may be longer than you need, and you may need to get utilities (phone, water, electricity, gas) turned on. If you are arranging this type of housing in advance, be sure to check with the host university about its real distance from your host university.
Read the lease carefully. Former semester students have realized too late that they signed on for a year. There are almost always high costs involved with leaving before the lease is up. UCEAP is not in a position to negotiate on your behalf.

How to Get Off-Campus Housing

You can prearrange to stay in a hostel or an inexpensive place for a week or two while searching. University housing services are very helpful, and some provide places to stay or leads to them (e.g., youth hostels). They also have bulletin boards (and the locations of others), regular meetings where you can get tips or meet potential roommates, and plenty of good advice.
Most students find acceptable-to-excellent places and roommates in about a week or two. Public transport is better in most Australian cities than in the U.S., so you can easily live a mile or two from campus. Many students move into a shared place that already has furniture. If you do not select a furnished apartment, you may find roommates that already have furniture or buy it from secondhand stores.
Some UC students stay together. This can be a great option, but know that if you travel in a group of Americans, you may be more immediately comfortable but you are less likely to make friends with Aussies.
Your best resource once abroad will be your host university housing services. Housing services can give you advice about housing options, leases, and your rights as a tenant. They’ll provide maps, recommended suburbs, and estimates on what things should cost and good deals. The people in those offices are often local tenants themselves, so they are sympathetic and informed. (A few universities will block you from some parts of their housing website unless you have a student ID, but you should still be able to find enough information without the blocked sections.)

Ideas for finding off-campus housing:

  • Take the search seriously and plan 1–2 weeks of serious research to find the best, not the first, option.
  • Before you come, arrange to stay for a few nights in a college, youth hostel, or other inexpensive place. Some universities offer short-term housing as well. Resources:
  • Don’t insist on being a short walk from the university. A 15–30 minute trip by bike or public transport might get you something cheaper and better. What you save on rent may be much higher than the transport cost, but don’t go so far that you rarely see your friends and spend too much time commuting.
  • Find out about the safety of suburbs from locals or the Study Center.
  • Make sure public transport will get you safely to your home at whatever hours of the day or night you may be using it. Note that trains and trams don’t run around the clock.
  • Usually, the best deal will involve roommates. If possible, meet them before signing an agreement. Good housemates are as important as good housing.
  • The more research you do, the better your chances. Apartment rentals often come up only 15–30 days in advance, so it can be hard to arrange something ahead of time.
UCEAP Student Experiences
These notes are based on recent student experiences. Take them with a grain of salt, because student experiences are subjective and vary greatly. Some students love the same housing that others hate, and situations and options change each year (e.g., new chefs, new management, etc.).

The Australian National University

Nearly all students have lived in residential colleges or privately owned student accommodations such as the Uni Lodge. ANU exchange students are guaranteed accommodation. ANU’s colleges have more out-of-town Australians than others, which students usuallylike. Good things are said about Johns (private) and Burgmann (ANU-owned), which have very strong extracurricular programs (sports and non-sporting activities), as well as Bruce Hall and Burton and Garran (ANU), which is self-catering. All four of these housing options are on campus. Uni Lodge is right on the edge of campus and very close to Civic (downtown Canberra).

The University of Melbourne

Many students live in a university-affiliated apartment complex. Students report favorably about RMIT Village, but still note that the rooms are small and not deluxe by any means.
Students who lived in residential colleges liked them, though it took a while for some to make friends, and some hazing practices were reported. Some thought that the expense of College Square or on-campus housing wasn’t worth it. Students who chose off-campus housing were usually very happy with it, though some dealt with anxiety while still searching.

University of New South Wales

Campus Housing: Competition for campus housing at UNSW has been very competitive recently, with far more applications than rooms availaible. If you do apply for on-campus housing, be aware that it is not guaranteed. Be flexible and prepare to consider alternatives if you are not able to secure a room in a UNSW-managed facility.
Residence Halls: Past students usually liked the experience, although many didn’t like the dorm food. Many of the students are first-year students, and UC students sometimes didn’t enjoy being surrounded by 18-year-olds looking for a party all the time.
University-Owned Apartments: These can be full of exchange students. Whether it is easy or hard to meet people will depend a lot on your roommates.
Study Abroad Office Rentals: Has a system for renting apartments in nearby Coogee. Varied quality. You end up with other study abroad students.
Off-Campus Housing: Arrive with time to look for places because Sydney has a tight housing market. The International Center is very helpful, as are bulletin boards (e.g., in grocery stores).
UCEAP Students Say ...“UNSW: Tell people that they WILL find housing!”

The University of Queensland

Most of the recent students have lived in shared houses off campus. Some have stayed in university apartments, which are convenient and close to campus. It isn’t uncommon to commute for 30+ minutes to get to the UQ campus. There have been some concerns about hazing issues at UQ colleges.
UCEAP Students Say ...“At Queensland I lived in the International House residential college. This was a great place to meet Australians as well as people from all over the world.”

The University of Sydney

UC students largely live off campus (on-campus housing can be tough to get), but sometimes in residential colleges or university-affiliated housing. Students report relatively favorably about International House and Sydney University village, but they can be expensive.
Restaurants and cafés are plentiful and widely varied in cuisine, ambience, and price range. Many are closed on Mondays. Reservations (bookings) are essential on weekends at popular establishments. It is easy to find vegetarian meals.
Inexpensive food is usually available in “milk bars” or takeaways. Sandwiches are available at many small shops during lunch. Most cities also have covered markets several days a week where you can purchase fresh produce, meats, and specialty foods.
Guides to dining out, which are updated frequently, are sold at newsstands and bookshops. The Cheap Eats guide series is a useful reference.
Tipping is not customary in Australia. Australians tip only for exceptionally good service and not as a general rule. In a good restaurant, one might tip 10 percent of the bill. Taxi drivers may be tipped, but it is not expected. Tipping barbers or hairdressers is entirely up to the customer. Rounding up to the next dollar is often an adequate tip.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
All Australian universities that are partnered with UCEAP are serviced by public transport. While living on campus or close to the university offers great convenience, many students also live in group houses or other accommodation beyond walking or bicycle distance. Many of our Australian partner universities are effectively city-center campuses. Monash and LaTrobe universities are more suburban, but are well served by tram and/or bus services. Wollongong is very close to the city center and has good bus service, as does the University of Queensland. Owning an automobile in Australia is unnecessary for exchange students who will find local and national transportation convenient. Bicycles are common among university students and caution on the roads is important, just as it is in California. The wearing of helmets and use of lights and reflectors at night are strictly enforced.

 Recreational Travel

You can travel within Australia by air, bus, or rail. Air services are excellent and among the best and safest in the world. WebJet lists all domestic flights for comparison. Note that baggage can cost extra, some discount airlines impose additional fees (e.g., Tiger), and if flying through or to Melbourne, be sure to fly to Tullamarine, not Avalon airport. When purchasing your international ticket, just book one ticket to your final destination. Otherwise, if you book a domestic Australian flight separate from your international one, you will be subject to harsher domestic baggage restrictions and can be forced to pay hundreds of dollars in excess baggage charges.
Low-cost bus service is available throughout the country. Buses are clean, safe, and punctual, and they are used by Australians for national travel. Trains are fast, clean, and comfortable.
It is wise to book all forms of travel in advance, especially around holidays. School holidays occur periodically throughout the academic year, increasing the demand for transportation and accommodations.
Do not hitchhike. Although it may seem to be the norm in Australia, hitchhiking is dangerous and unpredictable. Use reliable transportation to get to your destination.


There are various kinds of international youth travel associations and youth hostel associations in Australia. For information, see the YHA Australia website.


Australian national holidays include the following:
  • New Year’s Day (January 1)
  • Australia Day (January 26)
  • Good Friday (before Easter)
  • Easter Monday
  • ANZAC Day (April 25)
  • Queen’s Birthday (proclaimed, usually in June in most states)
  • Christmas Day (December 25)
  • Boxing Day (December 26)
In addition to national holidays, Australians observe the following state holidays:

Australian Capital Territory

  • Canberra City Day (proclaimed, March)
  • Labour Day (first Monday in October)

New South Wales

  • Labour Day (first Monday in October)


  • Labour Day (first Monday in May)

South Australia

  • Labour Day (second Monday in October)
  • Proclamation Day (December 28)


  • Labour Day (second Monday in March)
  • Melbourne Cup Day (first Tuesday in November; metropolitan Melbourne only)
Other holidays include bank holidays and occasionally extra holidays proclaimed over the Christmas break. Universities and most businesses usually close between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Extracurricular Activities
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites, such as Lonely Planet, are excellent resources. You can keep up with current events by reading Australian newspapers online as well.

​Get Involved

Once you are abroad, participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people and integrate more fully into the community. Join sports, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations; attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles; and get the most out of your time abroad.
Residential colleges typically offer more opportunities for organized activities than you might find if you live off campus.
Student discounts are available for most commercial films, performances, and exhibitions with a university ID card. Student discounts are also available on public transit through concession fares. Your host university will provide information about concession cards during the international student orientation.

Outdoor Activities

You’ll find many opportunities for hiking (called bushwalking), mountain climbing, nature walks, orienteering, sailing, bird watching, beach activities, and water sports. Every university has a variety of sports and outdoor clubs. Joining one or more clubs provides an opportunity to make new friends as well as to participate in inexpensive outings and to rent sports equipment, which is often expensive to buy in Australia. Expect to pay sports union membership fees and user fees for facilities such as gyms and swimming pools, unlike at UC campuses.

Activities at Your Host University

The Australian National University, Canberra

Located in the Australian capital city of Canberra, ANU is home to an eclectic mix of natural and manmade beauty. Canberra’s capital city status makes it a hub of multicultural activity and political action. The campus is surrounded on all sides by a variety of natural landscapes such as Lake Burley Griffin, Black Mountain, native bushland, and the garden-themed suburb of Turner. With all these exciting areas to explore it may be easy to overlook the wide range of specified and engaging extracurricular activities provided by ANU’s Sport & Rec Association and the ANU Students’ Association. From rowing and cricket to theatre and the choral society, ANU provides many opportunities to meet and connect with other students.

The University of Melbourne

The University of Melbourne, located in Parkville, an inner suburb of Melbourne, provides an exciting and enriching life for students, both in the city and on campus. In a study conducted by the University of Melbourne’s Student Union, students praised the campus’ inner-city location, in addition to its wide range of cultural and social activities. An emphasis on sports clubs can be found here, with two health centers on campus, as well as the student newspaper Farrago, and a variety of theatre clubs. The location within Melbourne allows you to enjoy the buzz of city life and all it offers, as well as the tranquility of its many gardens and parks which has earned it the title of “Australia’s garden city.” Due to its prolific cinema history and as the birthplace of Australian television, Melbourne is host to many film festivals and is also famous for its street art.

The University of New South Wales, Sydney

Found in the Sydney suburb of Kensington, the University of New South Wales is a short distance from several parks and zoos, including the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Sydney Aquarium, as well as museums, performing arts halls, cinemas, and annual festivals for music. Students may also find time to participate in one of Australia’s favorite pastimes or go to a sporting event at the Sydney Football Stadium, the AZN Stadium or the Royal Randwick Race Club. UNSW’s close proximity to Coogee Beach provides the opportunity to enjoy the surf and sun while golfing, bushwalking, and even scuba diving. Markets can be found near the campus, providing the opportunity to taste local dishes and shop for handcrafted goods. In addition to all the city has to offer, UNSW has over 150 clubs suited to almost any interest, whether academic, political, religious or cultural. A variety of student publications, from cookbooks to newspapers, allow students to find their inner author and share thoughts and ideas with one another.

The University of Queensland, Brisbane

Beautiful Brisbane provides a perfect blend of cosmopolitan city life and Australia’s country charm. The campus provides a variety of cultural events for students, including performances by students in the theatre and music halls, film screenings, as well as access to museums and art galleries. UQ was the originator of the Three Minute Thesis, a competition that encourages undergraduate students to conduct research and present it in 180 seconds, honing their research and presentation skills. In addition to the academic and entertainment facilities on campus, there are many student organizations and clubs that will enrich your study abroad experience. Brisbane itself rests on the banks of the Brisbane River and provides everything you could want from city life, with parks, museums, theaters, and restaurants all readily available to enjoy.

The University of Sydney

Located in the heart of Australia’s most famous city, The University of Sydney’s neo-gothic campus is host to hundreds of student clubs and organizations and also houses several museums and galleries to enjoy. Public transport by rail and bus from campus makes it easy to discover Sydney and enjoy all the city has to offer, from the shopping and markets, to beaches and outback farms. Student life at UoS offers access to a multitude of cultural and scientific museums. On-campus bars offer a relaxed coffee shop atmosphere during the day, and comedy and poker events at night. In addition to the casual events around campus, organized clubs and societies are offered, from book and anthropology clubs to music and sports associations.

University of Wollongong

In coastal Wollongong, you can enjoy the coastal Australian lifestyle, with metropolitan Sydney just 80 km away. Scenic beaches perfect for surfing abound and botanical gardens around the city have also earned acclaim. The University of Wollongong has many activities for students to get involved in on campus as well: aspiring writers can find their niche writing for one of the universities many campus publications, while film lovers may enjoy the UniMovies club. Sports associations and clubs are readily available, as well as live music and theatre performances by student groups and organizations.
Students with Disabilities
While in Australia, students with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what you find in the United States.
Students with a disability must take responsibility for their learning and to play an active role in managing needs. The host university will expect you to read and reply to correspondence from your host university, initiate and maintain contact with key teaching and faculty staff to communicate your academic support needs, know how to obtain support. The Australian host university may request more information than what is provided through the UC campus disability letter.  For example, in supporting students with learning disabilities, they may request for test results designed to assess and diagnose LD for an adult in an academic setting.  This process takes place between the student and the host university disability specialist. There is very little support the Australian host university can provide without disclosure.
Many of the downtown areas of Australian cities were built in the 1800s. These cities often have narrow sidewalks crowded with pedestrians and tourists. Generally, most public transit means,  streets, and buildings are accessible. Modern accessibility improvements include ramps, tactile indicators, and audible street crossing indicators. Parks, gardens, stadiums and other public venues often share accessibility information on their websites.
For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account.

Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the U.S.), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you.

The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad
LGBTIQ Students
LGBTIQ Students
​There are no laws criminalizing consensual same-sex sexual conduct between adults. Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is prohibited.
​For more information,
Your student visa will allow you to work part-time in Australia. You may work up to 40 hours every two- week period (a “fortnight”) while your courses are in session and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break. More information can be found here:
UCEAP Insurance
While abroad, you will be covered by two insurance policies, as follows: 
  1. The UCEAP Insurance Plan: This plan is required for all UCEAP participants. The premium is paid by the University Of California. The UCEAP insurance will provide coverage when OSHC does not (e.g., outside Australia, for services rendered by physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, for pre-existing conditions, etc. See details below. You can also find detailed information in the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure.
  2. Australian Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC): This policy is required of alll foreign students attending an Australian University. See details below.

Know Before you Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy.  Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term. Your UCEAP travel insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy is not the same as your campus or private insurance and it is does not meet ACA requirements for domestic coverage as required by U.S. law.  Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. Your travel insurance policy number is ADDN 04834823.  It is underwritten by ACE American Insurance Company.
There is no deductible or co-insurance but the travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis.  You can submit a claim for a refund of covered expenses to the UCEAP insurance carrier.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance.  Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country).  It is the patient's responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits and Claims

ACI at

Australian Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): As an international student, it is a condition of your student visa that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia.The cost for OSHC is included in the UCEAP fees (unless you are attending UNSW; as UNSW will instruct, you must pay them directly for the OSHC).
You will receive the instructions and paperwork necessary to obtain your insurance card at your Australian university’s orientation. If you do not receive the application or insurance card during orientation, contact the international office at your host institution. Further information about health insurance for international students in Australia is available on the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website (DIBP). For more information about OSHC and the terms of coverage, refer to the Australian Department of Health and Ageing's Frequently Asked Questions.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities

​Medical Care

If you feel sick or have a medical emergency, seek medical attention and contact your host university’s international center and the UCEAP Study Center in Melbourne immediately. The international student services at your host university can assist if arrangements need to be made for special consideration with your professors for an absence from class, or miss an exam due to illness, and provide assistance with finding doctors, resolving health issues, etc.
Excellent public and private medical facilities are available in major cities. Regional health services with good standards are available in rural areas. Once in Australia, you will get information about local health services during your host university’s international orientation. Coverage is effective during the authorized period of stay.


University health services, including counseling services, are usually available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at your host university. You can fill prescriptions at chemists (pharmacies). Many medications are subsidized by the government. Private doctors and hospital outpatient departments usually require payment at the time services are rendered.

Emergency Medical Care

It is important to learn where hospitals and clinics are located, just in case you or your friends ever require medical assistance. If you require emergency medical care, go to the Emergency or Casualty section at the nearest hospital, which are usually open 24 hours. Australia has a high level of professional emergency medical services. By dialing 000, any person can obtain emergency medical assistance throughout most of Australia. If the situation is life-threatening, call an ambulance immediately. Ambulance service staffed by certified emergency medical technicians is the standard throughout most of Australia.
Carry your medical insurance information with you at all times.
Physical Health
Arriving in a new country is a very busy time and there are a lot of changes to go through. There are differences in food, weather and customs to cope with. In this type of situation, with all its stresses, you may find yourself paying less attention than usual to your health.
Existing health problems can also be made worse by the effects of adjusting to unfamiliar food, a different climate and the emotional strains of being away from home. It can be easy to concentrate on your studies and forget about taking care of yourself. Travel health is about prevention and common sense: Being aware of health issues that may arise and taking the appropriate measures to prevent illnesses and injuries when you are travelling not only for your own well-being, but for the people and communities you encounter during your trip.

Know Before you Go

Inform yourself before you travel.  Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care.  Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications
Prescription Medications

Travelling with medicines or medical devices into Australia

If you require prescription medicine, it is important to travel with adequates amounts so you remain in good health while you are away. Talk to your prescribing doctor in the U.S. well before departure and have a plan.
There are rules about bringing medicines and medical equipment (needles, syringes, etc.) into Australia. Some medicines require permission (personal import license) to be granted by the relevant Australian Government agency before you can legally bring them into Australia. Some medications and/or medical equipment may be brought in through the Australian Traveler's Exemption, as follows:
  • Carry all medicines and/or medical devices in your carry-on luggage to prevent loss (not in checked-in baggage)
  • If it is a prescription medicine, you must have a letter from your treating physician indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and prescription regime. 
  • If your medication contains a prohibited substance, you must have a prescription, and a letter from your treating physician indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and prescription regime.
  • Keep all medicines in their original container displaying your name and dosage requirements.
  • The quantity brought in must not exceed 3 months supply at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer.
  • Declare this medication (and show the prescription label with your name/dosage on it and a letter from your prescribing doctor on letterhead) to the Australian Customs Service when you arrive.
For more information contact the following BEFORE departure AND have a plan to have sufficient medication that will last through the end of your program. Australian Customs authorities have the power to detain any medication which they suspect is being illegally exported.
  1. Contact the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration
A pharmacist in Australia will not accept a prescription from an overseas doctor.  If your prescription is lost, you will need to see a local doctor and be re diagnosed to get a similar prescription that a local pharmacy will fill.  Having a letter from your treating physician indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and prescription medication regimen will help the local doctor when considering proper medication regime.
Pharmacies, called chemists in Australia, are reliable and accessible; 24­-hour service is available in most major cities. Chemists are more limited in less populated areas. A written prescription is required for all prescribed medication.
Mental Health
Your mental health is important to us all. Managing your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a history of anxiety, depression, or other mental health conditions – is something every person must think about when going abroad. Being away from usual stress at home can sometimes be a relief when abroad; experiencing new adventures can be a useful distraction. You will also have times when you feel confused, uncomfortable, annoyed, and many of the same emotions that you manage in your daily life at home. Read the Mobility International tips, Ups and Downs of International Travel.
Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.
If you are currently in treatment in the U.S., it is extremely important to discuss your study abroad plans and program details with your doctor. If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician well in advance about getting the supply you need for going abroad.  For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at  For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process.
 If you feel that you cannot commit the time, access online, interactive self-help resources designed to support students in Australia, The Desk.  The Desk provides students with information and skills to help you relax, feel energized, and connected during your time in Australia.   
Health Risks

Sun Damage

Australia is exposed to higher levels of utraviolet radiation than almost anywhere in the world. It has a very high skin cancer rate. The sun will feel much more intense than in California. ​It is important, to look and listen for UV Index levels in local weather forecasts. Sun Protection Times vary during the year and across Australia depending on the season. Watch and listen to the Sun Protection Times even on cloudy or partly cloudy days and use a combination of sun protection measures (sun screen-SPF30+, sunglasses, sun protective clothing, etc.). Check the UV index and UV Alerts on the weather page of most Australian daily newspapers.

Be Sun Smart!

  • Use a combination of sun protection measures (e.g., sunscreen-SPF30+, hat, long sleeves) to keep you safe from UV radiation. 
  • Pack sunscreen (SPF 30+, broad spectrum and water resistant protection), a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
  • Pack or purchase a rash guard for protection at the beach (even the lifeguards wear long sleeves in Australia).
  • Remain hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
For more information, review the Sun Smart campaign by Cancer Council Australia.
Food Allergies
Students with severe food allergies should take precautions while abroad.
Some precautions to take include, include:
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor isx-to-eight weeks before departure to discuss a treatmemnt plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need to prevent an adverse reaction like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, with your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions for assistance.
  • Tell others about your food allergy.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section
Air Quality
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Australia is a politically stable country. Serious security problems are not common. There is a general threat from terrorism in Australia. Attacks cannot be ruled out and may be indiscriminate.
Observe the same precautions with your personal safety and possessions as you would in any other country or at home. There are steps you can take to manage or minimize risk. Stop and think. Be aware of your surroundings. Inform yourself of risks you can encounter while traveling.

Play an active role in protecting your own personal health, safety, and well-being!

​Staying safe in another country is similar to staying safe in a large U.S. city. Understand the potential threats, know which neighborhoods to avoid, and remain vigilant (pay attention to your surroundings; do not walk around while talking on the phone or while listening to music).
If you will be traveling, think about how you are getting to your destination and/or any travel inside a country.  Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.  Be proactive about your safety. Be prepared.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and contracted with emergency service and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. 
Steps to manage or minimize risk and avoid being a victim of a crime:
  • Assess your surroundings.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones. 
  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Trust your "gut feelings"; if you feel threatened, leave the area immediately and find somewhere more secure.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter while traveling. 
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?
Putting yourself, fellow students, or the reputation of the program at risk is cause for dismissal from UCEAP.
Register online with the U.S. embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
Read the UCEAP the Guide to Study Abroad, Safety Chapter  for more information on how to prepare to have a safe experience and access the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.

 You play an active role in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. 

​Staying safe in another country is similar to staying safe in a large U.S. city. Understand the potential threats, know which neighborhoods to avoid, and remain vigilant (pay attention to your surroundings; do not walk around while talking on the phone or while listening to music).
If you will be traveling, think about how you are getting to your destination and/or any travel inside a country.  Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.  Be proactive about your safety. Be prepared.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and contracted with emergency service and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. 
Steps to manage or minimize risk and avoid being a victim of a crime:
  • Assess your surroundings.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones. 
  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Trust your "gut feelings"; if you feel threatened, leave the area immediately and find somewhere more secure.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter while traveling. 
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?

Know what to do in a possible risk scenario

Locate the nearest emergency exits. If evacuated in a group, remain in the center of the group with as many people around you as possible. Don’t take the lead or straggle behind.
Register online with the U.S. embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
Read the UCEAP the Guide to Study Abroad, Safety Chapter  for more information on how to prepare to have a safe experience and access the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.
Crime & Prevention
Most parts of Australia have a low crime rate. Metropolitan areas experience a higher incidence of violent and petty crime. Street crime is relatively rare, but pickpockets and thieves frequent certain districts in each major city.
  • Avoid poorly lit and crime-prone areas, especially at night.
  • Be alert for thieves in some inner-city areas and at deserted public transport depots. Use caution at transport hubs after nightfall. Consider using taxis rather than public transportation at night. There have been some reports of latenight violence, especially at suburban train stations.
  • Use common sense and take personal security precautions the way you would in any major Western country.
  • Along with personal safety behaviors, consider having a good-quality, loud, rescue whistle easily accessible for enhanced security. The loud sound of a self-defense whistle or a personal alarm can cause temporary disorientation and signal for help, giving you the necessary time to get away.
  • Avoid deserted areas late at night.
  • Guard your personal belongings; do not leave property unattended. Be particularly careful with personal possessions and travel documents in major cities and popular tourist destinations.

Police Response

Australian police organizations are well trained and professional. They have well-equipped emergency response teams that can mobilize and respond to any incident with short notice.

Criminal Penalties

While you are abroad, U.S. laws do not apply and your citizenship will not protect you if you break local laws. Foreign laws and legal systems can be vastly different from the U.S. It is important to know what is legal and what is not wherever you are going.
Australian authorities will take action against anyone who imports or is found to be trafficking illegal substances. Prosecution can lead to a lengthy jail sentence and non-Australian nationals are usually deported at the end of their sentence. Deportation may lead to a ban on returning to Australia for several years. Laws, and the penalties for breaking them, can differ from state to state.
Civil Unrest
Although strikes and protests are relatively common in various Australian cities, they rarely turn violent. Environmental and anti-globalization groups are fairly large and influential in Australia. They periodically organize protests in major cities, but these events do not typically cause many problems other than traffic disruptions.
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Public transportation in Australia is comparable to most Western industrialized countries. As a precaution, always remain alert if you are unfamiliar with the local crime situation. In larger cities such as Sydney and Melbourne, buses and commuter trains and their stations can be havens for thieves and pickpockets. Keep loose items such as cameras, maps, and purses within a larger and securable carrying bag in front of you. Taxis are safe but occasionally difficult to find during high-demand time periods.
Many deaths have occurred in the Northern Territory where vehicles driven at high rates of speed have skidded and overturned after hitting loose gravel on the shoulder of the road. Do not drive in Australia.

Pedestrian Safety

As a pedestrian, it is your responsibility to make yourself visible and avoid dangerous behavior and situation. Increase your safety in the road environment by making yourself visible and using safe routes and road crossings where possible.  If there is not a crossing, always cross the road by the shortest and safest route, make sure you can be seen and allow plenty of time to cross. Some main roads have raised medians to help you cross the road in two stages. Only cross at pedestrian lights when the light is green. If you are crossing with a green light and the light changes to flashing red, you must cross to the other side of the road, or the nearest traffic island designated for pedestrians, as quickly and safely as possible.
Traffic operates on the left side of the road, and all vehicles use right-hand drive. Use caution when crossing streets. When crossing roads on foot, make sure you look carefully in all directions.
If you are wearing headphones or talking on your cell phone while crossing the street, it is important to pay attention to your surroundings and take extra care to avoid dangerous situations. Crossing a busy street while blasting music into your headphones doesn’t exactly enhance your awareness.
For more information, refer to the Association for Safe International Road Travel.
Natural Disasters
Australia is prone to seasonal natural disasters including tropical cyclones, flash flooding, dust storms (Outback areas), and bushfires (forest fires common in the summer months from November to February). Tropical cyclone season occurs mainly in Queensland, Northern Territory, and Western Australia. It normally runs from November to April. Refer to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology website for updates on weather conditions.
Beach Safety
Rip currents are the number one hazard on Australian beaches, responsible for at least 21 drownings on average per year. Rip currents often lead to drowning when swimmers attempt to fight the current, swim directly back to the shoreline, become exhausted, and start to panic.
When enjoying Australia’s beaches safely, take the following simple precautions:
  • Always swim between the red and yellow flags, which indicate it is a supervised location where a lifesaving service is currently on duty.
  • Do not swim at unsupervised locations.
  • Read the safety signs; they indicate current and typical hazards for that location.
  • Ask a lifeguard for advice—they are there to provide safety advice and make your experience safe and enjoyable.
  • Always swim with a friend, never alone.
  • Learn how to spot rip currents and avoid them.
  • Never swim after consuming alcohol or drugs; they impair your ability and judgement and put your life at risk.

Australian Wildlife & Marine Life

Australian fauna can be dangerous. From jellyfish off the Great Barrier Reef to crocodiles, sharks, poisonous insects, and snakes, the continent and its waters host wildlife that merit awe and respect in equal doses. Review the Wet Tropics Management Authority visitor information guide for facts on Australian wildlife and marine life. While swimming, take important safety precautions, swim only between the flags where a lifeguard is present, and never swim alone.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the U.S. Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Warning after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, U.S. Embassy, U.S. Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy voluntary departure on U.S. government-arranged flights, that require U.S. citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP, is covered by UCEAP insurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
Fire Safety
Know all exits. Practice escape plans. Read the Fire Association Protection Australia fact sheet on 10 Steps to Home Fire Safety. Inform yourself by reading the Fire Safety section in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
If living in University housing, talk to residential hall staff about their emergency procedures.
Follow these general fire safety tips. Most college-related fires in the U.S. are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
In case of fire - Dial 000.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the U.S.

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.

If you are abroad:

  • Contact local emergency services first (in Australia call 000) and then contact the Study Center.
  • Carry the local emergency contact information at all times. If you have a health or safety emergency call Kay Harmes at 0408 317 296 after first dialing 000.
  • You should also call your host university international office emergency number. Security at your host university is available 24/7. Because the UCEAP Study Center is in Melbourne, your host university can often provide immediate, local assistance.
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.