Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Add 15 hours
Add 16 hours during
daylight savings
Global & International Studies, Fudan University

- Fall

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Program Advisor
Michelle Hertig
Phone: (805) 893-6152; E-mail:
Program Specialist
May Pothongsunun
Phone: (805) 893-6152; E-mail:
Academic Coordinator
Jessica Brown
Phone: (805) 893-2598; E-mail:

Academic Specialist
Eva Bilandzia
Phone: (805) 893-2598; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Ben Kinman
Phone: (805) 893-4812; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Predeparture Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network on the UCEAP China Shanghai page.

Study Center Abroad

A UC faculty member, who serves as Study Center Director, and Study Center administrative staff administer the programs in Shanghai. Together they advise students on academic matters, assist with housing, and arrange periodic group travel.

Shanghai Study Center

Professor Mian Wang, Study Center Director
Ms. Xinlu Liu, Program Coordinator
University of California China Office
Room 222, Center for American Studies
Fudan University
220 Handan Road, Yangpu District
Shanghai 200433 CHINA 
UCEAP Phone: (011-86-21) 6533-0127

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code ................011     (dial this to call from the U.S.)
China country code ......................86
Shanghai city code ......................21

Approximate Time Difference

16 hours; 15 hours during daylight saving time
Academic Information
Program Overview
​The Global & International Studies Program at Fudan University offers courses taught in English that concentrate on the study of the processes, manifestations, and controversies of globalization. UC and Fudan University students take courses together, pursue joint research projects, and engage in critical thinking about globalization and its related social and environmental problems, policy issues, and economic processes. The curriculum consists of interdisciplinary and comparative courses in the social sciences and humanities, globalization in the context of China, and international studies. Courses are taught by local and international faculty. A UC visiting faculty teaches the required core course on Debating Globalization.
Limited Chinese language study is available at the elementary, intermediate, and advanced levels.


  • Minimum of 18 UC quarter units; 19.5 quarter/13 semester UC units are recommended for Berkeley L&S students; four or five courses. Most students take 20 to 24 UC quarter units. There is not a maximum limit; however, more than 27 UC quarter units is not recommended.
  • Core course: Debating Globalization (6 quarter/4 semester UC units, letter grade required)
  • One additional UCEAP program-specific course or Chinese language course 
  • Two or three additional courses from the expanded list, depending on the units of each course
  • Maximum of 1/3rd (33%) of units on the pass/no pass grading option. This is done in MyEAP only.

Sample MyEAP Study Lists


UC quarter units are based on the contact time of each course and typically range from 3 to 6 quarter/2 to 4 semester UC units depending on the number of sessions a course meets over the term. Most courses meet once per week. Chinese language courses meet twice per week.


Course schedules on the Fudan University website show the time a course meets under the Timetable column, for example:
Course Code
Course Name (EN)
Instructor (EN)
Timetable 24hr
Planned Exam Date\Time\Format
Economics of Development
YIN Xiangshuo
Courses that meet for 2 slots per week for 15 weeks are 3 quarter/2 semester UC units (e.g., 8:00-9:40 is 2 slots) 
Courses that meet for 3 slots are 4.5 quarter/3 semester UC units (e.g., 8:00-10:40 is 3 slots so the course above would be 4.5 UC quarter units). 
Slot       Time
Slot       Time
Slot       Time
Slot       Time
1          08:00-08:45
2          08:55-09:40
3          09:55-10:40
4          10:50-11:35
5          11:45-12:30
6          13:30-14:15
7          14:25-15:05
8          15:10-16:05
9          16:15-17:00
10         17:10-17:55
11         18:30-19:15
12         19:25-20:10
13         20:20-21:05



Academic Culture

The Chinese University

Admission to Chinese universities, especially those of high standing such as UC’s partner universities, is a rare privilege. Access is highly competitive and limited. Only about 30 percent of Chinese youth complete high school and only 18 percent of these pass the national entrance examination for admission to institutions of higher education. A smaller fraction of this number is accepted into institutions that are as prestigious as Fudan University.
Each Chinese university is a community that operates essentially as a complete social unit. In the past, faculty, staff, and administrators lived on campus, but as housing restrictions decrease and available housing increases, more live in nearby neighborhoods.

Relationship with Faculty

Relationships between students and teachers in China are quite different from those at UC. According to Confucian traditions, teachers in China are revered and respected by all and take great responsibility for the care of their students. Generally, Chinese instructors expect students to be deferential and appreciative; never confrontational, excessively argumentative, or demanding.
Chinese teachers consider their students’ success or failure a measure of personal success or failure on their part, so students try to succeed for their teacher’s sake as well as their own. The relationship between students and professors may become close and personal, but must be carefully developed over time. Past UCEAP students have reported closer relationships with summer language instructors, where the class sizes are usually smaller.
If you have a difference of opinion with an instructor, express it at a time during class designated by the instructor or privately after class, but always with the utmost tact and respect for the teacher.
Address an instructor as laoshi, which means teacher: “[Last Name] laoshi.” The use of first names is particularly unacceptable in Asia.

Host University vs. UC Courses

You may have to exert effort to adapt to the teaching style and requirements of your classes. Courses will not be the same as they are at UC. The most common difference is that students, even in language courses, have fewer opportunities for class participation. Although certain Fudan courses have been chosen especially for UCEAP students, approaches still vary from teacher to teacher, and there may be less discussion in class than is typical in UC classes. However, at UC’s host universities, where increasing numbers of faculty have spent periods of study or research abroad, instructors generally assume that American students will raise issues; in some cases the instructors even require class participation. Nevertheless, be sensitive to the cultural norms of the Chinese teaching style and do not confuse seemingly authoritarian or didactic characteristics of those norms with the individual attitudes of instructors.
The course materials are likely to be less structured and less clearly outlined than is usual in UC courses. Week-by-week syllabi with specific assignments are rare. You must exercise self discipline and initiative, and organize your time and activities to give priority to your academic work. Your experience in a course will depend on the interest, thought, and diligence you put into your studies.
Even if you have a high level of Chinese language ability, you can expect to have some difficulty understanding Chinese university instructors, some of whom have regional accents, speak rapidly, and use specialized terminology. Approaching this as a challenge rather than a frustration will enhance your success and enjoyment in China.
In some language courses, there is more focus on memorizing conversations and reading drills than there is on freestyle speaking, conversations, and on learning characters.
Course Information
You will choose your courses from a set list of courses for UCEAP participants. Courses are limited because the regular Fudan University fall semester continues into January whereas the selected courses for your program finish in December.
Some course descriptions will be available on the Fudan University website; however, in most case syllabi that detail course topics and activities are handed out in class, not before. Instruction in some courses may differ from your experience in UC courses. Courses include lectures, discussion or tutorials, field trips, guest speakers, group projects, essays, research projects, and exams.
Most of the courses for this program, with the exception of Chinese language study, will be assigned upper-division credit by UCEAP. Past courses have included:
  • Debating Globalization
  • History of Diplomacy in Modern China
  • Sino-US Relations and the Rise of Asia
  • Chinese Society and Culture under Globalization
  • Conflict Resolution and International Negotiation
  • Economics of Development
Departments or Schools that have offered coursework taught in English have included:
  • Chinese Language & Literature Department
  • School of Economics
  • School of Management
  • History Department
  • School of International Relations & Public Affairs
  • School of Journalism
  • School of Social Development & Public Policy
  • School of Philosophy

The average class size for the Fudan-UC courses is less than 40 students.

Course Registration 

You preregister for courses prior to the start of the program. You will receive instructions and a course list from Fudan University in late July or early August via email. The instructions will include the times when the course registration system is open. It is important to pay close attention to the times of the course registration phases, as the system will only be open during certain times. In some cases course outlines (syllabi) will be available through the Fudan University Course Registration System.
You can adjust your schedule during the different registration phases. Final course registration takes place after arrival in Shanghai at both the host university and through MyEAP. Fudan University has a strict two-week add/drop period that you must follow.
​Course requirements will usually be outlined in a syllabus supplemented by the instructor’s explanation of the requirements. Although practice varies, regular university courses usually have one midterm exam and one final exam or written report. Some classes may have presentations, group projects, field reports, and other assessment measures. Most instructors do not give frequent short quizzes.
Regular attendance is required. Absences exceeding 30 percent in any course result in an automatic Fail (F). If you must be absent for an emergency or personal reason, always seek the professor’s approval. Additional attendance and tardiness policies may be in effect; it is your responsibility to know the policies for each course.
In Chinese language classes, attendance is often taken during each class and absences result in a lower grade. If you miss more than 25 percent of a language class, you will not be permitted to take the final exam and will receive a failing grade for the course.
Exams in the language curriculum may be made up by staff, not necessarily in close consultation with the instructor. Tests are standardized for each level and therefore may not always cover material exactly as it was presented in class.
Questioning an instructor about test scores or grades in China is a delicate matter. First ask the advice of the Study Center Director. The final UC grade for a course is assigned by the instructor if he or she is a UC faculty member; grades for other courses are assigned by the Study Center Director based on the instructors’ reports. Discuss questions about your grades or special circumstances that may affect your academic performance with the Study Center Director.
Grades for this program are available from early February to mid-March depending on the Fudan University calendar and the timing of Chinese New Year.  Early grades are not possible as the timing is based on host university processes.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Independent study, called a UCEAP Special Study Project, can enrich your experience in China with research or an internship. Independent study may count as one of your courses.
Special Study Projects are under the general direction of the UCEAP Study Center Director and the supervision of a local faculty member or other qualified professional on-site. They are a maximum of 6 quarter/4 semester UC units though units vary depending on the type and amount of work involved.
Prior to departure you should explore possible research topics or internships and consult appropriate UC campus faculty members for advice.
After arrival in Shanghai  you will complete a Special Study Project form and a formal research proposal or plan of study in consultation with the UCEAP Study Center Director and the host university faculty member or other designated supervisor.
The Study Center can assist with the academic components of an internship for academic credit, but will not find the internship. 

Registration for Internships for Academic Credit

If you plan on participating in internships for academic credit you must first enroll in your program’s minimum unit requirement at the host university. Once your internship is secured, you must submit a completed UCEAP Special Study Internship form to the Study Center for initial approval. The form is forwarded to the UCEAP Systemwide Office for final approval. Once this approval is granted and the units are determined, the Systemwide Office adds the Internship (197) to your MyEAP Study List and you are then allowed to drop a course at the host university as long as you are still meeting the program’s minimum unit requirement.
It is necessary for the UCEAP Systemwide Office to approve your internship for academic credit before you are allowed to take a reduced course/unit load at a host university as participation in a non-academic internship is not a valid reason for taking a reduced course/unit load.
Internships only apply to your MyEAP course registration; they are not part of your host university course enrollment. UCEAP internships are graded pass/no pass only.
See the Internships page on the UCEAP website for additional information.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Extending your UCEAP participation is possible. If you are considering an extension, submit a Departmental and College Preliminary Approval to Extend (DPA) form prior to departure. Once abroad, make an appointment with your Study Center to initiate the extension. The Study Center submits a Request for Final Approval (RFA) form to the UCEAP Systemwide Office. UCEAP must receive the RFA by the deadline indicated on the form. If you do not submit an approved DPA before departure, then you must submit a Petition to Extend form, which requires campus and department approval, and can take up to eight weeks to process.
Both UCEAP and the Study Center must approve your extension request. Approval is based on a number of factors including program criteria, academic performance, the support of your UC campus department, and available space.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your UC campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus UCEAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take with regard to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
"Try to leave behind your Western notions of the world and try to think of new behaviors in Chinese terms. It will make you more understanding and tolerant." - UCEAP Student
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites such as Lonely Planet are excellent resources. You will also need to understand the local culture and history and keep up with current events. These sources should help you prepare before departure.

Online Sources and Periodicals

Reference Books

The Beijing UCEAP Study Center recommends two Chinese-English dictionaries that can be purchased locally after your arrival:

John DeFrancis, ABC Chinese-English Comprehensive Dictionary (University of Hawaii Press, 2003)

This dictionary is the first strictly alphabetically-ordered and Pinyin computerized dictionary. It contains over 196,000 entries, making it the most comprehensive one-volume dictionary of Chinese. An electronic version is also available for use in PCs and cell phones. 

Yao Naiqiang. Xinhua Dictionary with English Translation. (Commercial Press International, 2000). This Chinese-English character dictionary, with over 10,000 entries, has been prepared under the auspices of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Since its original 1956 Chinese edition, it has been revised many times, and over 380 million copies have been printed. 

Traditional characters are also provided, as are several very useful appendices, e.g., dynasty dates, measurements, and the Periodic Table. The other version of this dictionary, Xinhua Dictionary with English Translation, published by Commercial Press, Hong Kong, ISBN 9620702530, is almost the same product, but is based on traditional characters, as used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and many expatriate communities.

Students working in pre-modern China studies should take their favorite Chinese-English reference books as they are virtually unavailable in China.

Social Conduct

Drugs and Alcohol

Never feel pressured to drink. The Study Center can help you to devise polite and friendly ways to avoid drinking without avoiding the camaraderie associated with drinking. Being under the influence of alcohol is the single biggest risk to your safety while here, as it can lead you to make poor decisions.
If you are of legal age and choose to drink, you are advised to use good judgment; do not display any intoxicated behavior in public places. If you abuse alcohol, behave in a disorderly manner, or cause problems for your housing or host university, you will face disciplinary action by UCEAP.


“Giving face” (i.e., giving due respect) is a very important concept in China. You must give others the appropriate respect according to rank and seniority. Chinese people show great respect for others. In practice this means that they do not speak loudly or play radios, stereos, TV, or musical instruments so loud as to disturb neighbors. A useful rule of thumb to follow is that if noise can be heard outside of the walls of your room, it is too loud.
Improve Your Language Skills
The more standard Chinese (Putonghua) you know before departure for China, the more rewarding your time abroad will be.  

Before departure:

  • Get familiar with pinyin Romanization and simplified characters.
  • Look at textbooks used in China—such as Elementary Chinese Reader or Intermediate Hanyu Duben—to study simplified characters.
  • Spend 45 minutes a day or at least five sessions a week working to improve your written and spoken Chinese.
  • Read aloud anything in Chinese for 20 minutes at a time. Read progressively faster, striving for correct pronunciation.
  • Watch Chinese movies and listen to Chinese music.
  • Find Chinese-speaking language partners and practice speaking with them.
  • Keep a diary in Chinese.
  • Keep a journal of Chinese phrases, expressions, whole sentences, and a collection of structures.
  • Practice Chinese phrases picked up from conversation and reading.

Advanced Students

  • Read Chinese newspapers and magazines using a dictionary.
  • Read two books in Chinese, one fiction and one non-fiction.
  • Read a book in Chinese in your major.
  • Practice writing about your major field in Chinese, using simplified characters.
Chinese in mainland China is taught using pinyin Romanization and standard simplified Chinese characters. Placement exams, texts, newspapers, and signage are in simplified characters. If your background is in traditional script (complex characters), you are urged to prepare for this adjustment. 
"Switching from complex characters to simplified characters took time and effort. But once I made the effort, it all fell into place and I now think the simplified characters are easier to read and write." - UCEAP Student
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

Pre-Program Travel

Do not plan to travel outside of the U.S. after finals at UC and before the program begins. Each year, the Chinese host universities send acceptance letters on different dates, sometimes only a short time before the program’s Official Start Date. You need to be in the U.S. to receive the acceptance materials and apply for a visa.

Travel to the Study Center

The program calendar is subject to change. The Chinese government occasionally makes last minute pronouncements forcing schools to adjust their semester dates on account of special events, natural disasters, terrorist threats, or the redistribution of public holidays.
The start date of the program can change due to unforeseen circumstances. You are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any non-recoverable transportation charges you may incur for independent travel arrangements or changes in UCEAP and host university calendar dates.
In order to keep informed of program changes, update MyEAP with any changes to your contact information.
Failure to arrive before the Official Start Date is cause for dismissal from the program. More detailed arrival information and directions to the check-in point are provided in the UCEAP Pre-Departure Checklist online. Once you arrive in China, contact the Study Center to report arrival.
If you plan to arrive in China early you will need to make and pay for your own hotel reservations. UCEAP and the Study Center cannot make arrangements for you to move into the dormitory earlier than the established move-in date. Often the rooms are still occupied by other students, so space is not available.
Not all taxi drivers are familiar with the campus residences. Look up the location of your destination ahead of time. Provide the driver with the address of your housing assignment and have a campus map with you to show the driver exactly where you want to go.

On-site Orientation

At the beginning of your program, you will attend an orientation that covers information related to your host university as well as UCEAP. Participation in all orientation sessions is mandatory. The following topics are covered:
  • living arrangements
  • academic affairs, including MyEAP course registration
  • banking
  • transportation
  • medical care
  • safety
  • social activities
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.
There is no UCEAP group flight to China. You must book your own flight and any other travel arrangements. It is recommended that you arrive during regular business hours.
Detailed arrival instructions are provided in your UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
Travel Documents
A passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of your intended stay is required to enter China. The name on your passport, UCEAP application, and host university application must be identical in order to secure a visa, which is required for this program. Direct any questions to the Campus EAP Office immediately. 


Obtain a visa in the U.S. prior to departure. Do not enter China without a visa. Your initial length of stay in China determines which visa will be issued.
Admission and visa documents are issued based on the official program dates, not according to students’ personal travel plans. Your paperwork might not be available until shortly before the start of the program. Ultimately, the type of visa you receive is at the discretion of the Chinese Consulate or Embassy. It is your responsibility to make sure that the visa you receive is sufficient to cover the entire duration of your program.
If you decide to extend participation in UCEAP while abroad, you will need to apply and pay for a visa extension in China before your visa expires; otherwise, you will be fined for overstaying your visa.
The “X2” visa is recommended for semester students. It does not require a physical health exam. The duration of the “X2” visa can be up to 180 days, at the discretion of the consulate. You can request a single-, double-, or multiple-entry visa. However, the consulate determines the type of visa issued.
If you receive a single-entry visa, you cannot travel outside of the Chinese mainland (including trips to Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan ) during the program.  
Students with Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan passports must obtain “home visit permits” to enter China and do not need to apply for a visa. Contact your local Chinese consulate for more information.

Dual Citizens

If you hold dual citizenship, the Chinese consulate will only issue your visa in the passport you used to apply for program admission. The passport number appears on the visa and admission documents issued by the host university. You will not be issued replacement documents to match your other passport.
Dual-national U.S. citizens, particularly those with dual Chinese and United States nationality, should realize that entering China using their non-U.S. passport will likely mean the Chinese government may not afford them the consular protections to which they are entitled. While the U.S. government will offer consular services to all U.S. citizens regardless of dual nationality, use of other than a U.S. passport to enter China can make it difficult for U.S. consular officers to assist dual-national U.S. citizens who have been arrested or who have other concerns with the Chinese government. China does not recognize dual citizenship. U.S. Embassy and Consulate officials are often denied access to arrested or detained U.S. citizens who do not enter China using their U.S. passport.

​Special Travel Notification

If you are not a U.S. citizen, special travel restrictions or entry requirements may apply to you. Contact the Chinese consulate in San Francisco or Los Angeles for details.

U.S. Travel Registration

As soon as you know your flight plans prior to departure, register online with the U.S. Department of State. Registration is free and allows for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to be a source of assistance and information in case of difficulty or an emergency while traveling abroad.


It is easier to replace lost or stolen documents when you have photocopies. Photocopy all important documents in duplicate, including passport photo pages, visa pages, vaccination certificates, travelers checks receipts, airline  tickets, student ID, birth certificate, credit cards (front and back), etc., then leave a copy at home with a parent or guardian and pack a set in various pieces of luggage. Spending a few moments copying documents now will save you time if you lose important documents in China.

Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.
You can buy almost everything you need in China. It is a good idea to take a few things with which to start, since it will take time to become familiar with the city. Shanghai is known for its shopping. Carrefour, Metro AG, E-Mart, Walmart, and Watson’s are good places to find familiar items from home.
When traveling always carry your passport, visa, ticket, prescription medications, and money with you. Never put valuables in your checked luggage.
Identify each item of luggage on the inside and outside with your name, home address, and destination. You can buy most of the things you need in China, but UCEAP students recommend taking the following items: 


  • Comfortable walking shoes
  • Washable, easy-to-care-for clothing
  • A formal outfit for special occasions
  • Flip-flops for the shower
  • Preferred toiletry products (special brand names; consider razors, deodorant, facial cream, and feminine hygiene products)
  • Insect repellent with DEET, such as Cutters or Off, and anti-itch cream (there are mosquitoes)
  • Medicine kit (ibuprofen, cold and antidiarrheal medication, cough syrup)
  • Heavy-duty water bottle
  • Anti-bacterial gel (bathrooms often do not have toilet paper or sinks)
  • Warm clothing that can be layered (gloves, long underwear, thick socks, scarves, gloves, sweaters, coat, etc.)
"Bring your own medications! People got food poisoning so be careful! Get some Imodium and go see your doctor to get some medicine for stomach flu. It’s better to be safe than sorry." - UCEAP Student
"China doesn’t have regular bar deodorants, only those rolling gelled ones, so bring your own!" - UCEAP Student


  • Contact lens solution
  • Family photos (useful as icebreakers)
  • Converter for small appliances (both 120V and 220V)
  • Laptop
  • Surge protector for 220V
  • Simple combination lock
  • Flashlight and duct tape
  • Ziploc bags
  • Metric system conversion chart
  • Pocket knife (pack in checked luggage, not in carry-on)
"I needed lots of eye drops. After a long bike ride, eye drops are a savior." - UCEAP Student
Some students obtain name cards after they arrive in China, once they have their contact information settled. Name cards are widely used for networking and social purposes and can easily be printed at local copy shops around town.
"The most important things to take with you are flexibility and a good sense of humor. If you don’t know how to laugh at your predicaments, you’ll probably be upset much of the time." - UCEAP Student

Climate and Dress

Chinese dress is casual, although you should take a more formal outfit for special occasions. Shanghai is warmer than Beijing, and the summer is hot and humid. Temperatures can reach in excess of 100ºF during July and August. Frequent rainstorms clear the air slightly but leave everything (including clothes) damp. During the winter, temperatures do not often exceed 50ºF.  
Public buildings are not heated in the same manner as they are in the U.S. The heat is turned on in mid-November and is turned off in mid-March, so you will need warm clothing until the heat comes on. When the heat is turned on, UCEAP students often find classrooms and other buildings to be too hot and dry. The opposite is true in the summer; some classrooms may not be air-conditioned. Most dorms, buses, and major shopping malls are air-conditioned.
Travel lightly. You frequently have to carry your own baggage and the less you take, the easier the trip. If possible, limit baggage to one medium suitcase and one small flight bag or backpack. You will wash your clothing regularly so pack less. You can purchase clothing for all seasons in China; however, if you wear large or tall sizes, you may have difficulty finding your size. It is easy and inexpensive, however, to get clothing custom-tailored. Many foreigners in Shanghai do this. Those with larger feet (over size 8 for women or 10 for men) will not easily find shoes in China and need to plan accordingly.  
"Shanghai gets rather cold and will become very hot and humid in the summer. So bring or be ready to buy a variety of clothes to cover your journey." - UCEAP Student 


Take a few small, lightweight, American gifts for your foreign hosts and new friends. Suggestions include Frisbees; T-shirts with city, state, or campus logos; UC pens or pencils; decals; baseball caps representing Major League or NBA teams; See’s candy; California pistachios or almonds; California postcards, posters, scenic calendars; and coins and stamps.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  UCEAP strongly recommends that you examine the details of the UCEAP Travel Insurance benefits and purchase additional property insurance coverage, especially to protect high cost items such as laptop computers, Smartphones, tablets, and other valuables. Review the policy carefully before departure and determine if it provides adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling because most theft occurs in the airport or while moving into housing. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions. Avoid wearing expensive clothing or jewelry and going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Minimize your vulnerability by staying in control of your drinking and your behavior. Do not invite casual acquaintances or strangers home.
Return Travel
You cannot leave the academic program before your exams are officially over. You are not permitted to ask for a change in exam dates to accommodate your holiday travel schedule or because of non-refundable plane tickets. See the program calendar on the UCEAP website for departure dates. 
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.

Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad
The official currency unit used in China is the yuan or renminbi (most often abbreviated RMB).
Get used to carrying more cash in China than you would in the U.S. People do not use checks, and credit cards are not as frequently accepted as they are in the U.S.
Students on financial aid who extend their participation should review the Extension of Participation chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
If you are receiving financial aid and extend your participation, anticipate that funds will be unavailable for a few months. Budget carefully for subsistence and travel during the break between semesters.
Shanghai is one of China’s most expensive cities, but many things are less expensive than in the United States. Meals and food are quite inexpensive, unless you want to eat in places catering to foreigners. Some students have found that foreigners are charged more than locals for items purchased in markets without fixed prices. If you can learn ways to bargain in Chinese or if you go shopping with a local Chinese friend, it will save you a lot of money.

Initial Expenses

Take money to China in the form of credit cards, ATM cards, travelers checks, and cash. ATM cards are the most convenient way to get cash, although you should be aware of your account’s daily withdrawal limits and plan accordingly. Many U.S. banks offer a foreign currency service where account holders can order RMB a few weeks prior to departure.
Change enough money into RMB at the airport to cover arrival and initial expenses, including dorm rent. Have access to the equivalent of U.S. $1,000 (summer) or $2,000 (semester) to cover dormitory room charges for the term and miscellaneous expenses during the first few weeks.
There is a money exchange window at the Shanghai Pudong Airport outside the International Arrivals gate. There will be a small fee charged per transaction (no matter where you exchange money). The fee varies by location and date.
You can also use your U.S. ATM card at the Shanghai airport to obtain RMB.

Exchanging Money

In Shanghai, you can exchange U.S. cash at almost any bank or even some major department stores with a passport. You can exchange travelers checks at the Bank of China.
The Study Center will provide further information about exchanging money and the best places to do so. There are banks and ATMs in close proximity to all UCEAP locations. The bank rate on any given day is standardized throughout China, so you will get the same rate wherever you go; only the transaction fee will vary.
Changing money on the street is illegal in China. Counterfeit bills are a big problem in China and some UCEAP students have received bad bills changing money on the street.  


With your passport, you can establish either RMB or U.S. dollar savings accounts, with the option of a local ATM card. You cannot get U.S. currency from the ATMs, only RMB. Interest rates vary. Wire transfers from the U.S. can be deposited into either type of bank account. Personal checks from U.S. accounts cannot be used to make purchases in China, and UCEAP does not recommend using them.
Wire transfers to your bank account in China usually can be accomplished within five working days. Provide the sender with the Chinese account number, the corresponding bank’s address in the U.S., the address of the Chinese bank, and the Chinese bank’s Swift code. If you think you may use this option, check with your home bank before departure to see what else they may require.
Near Fudan, there is a Bank of China, China Construction Bank, Agriculture Bank of China, and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. International banks in Shanghai include Citibank, Standard Chartered, HSBC, and Bank of America.

ATM/Credit Cards

Visa and MasterCard are accepted in China at major department stores. In addition, money deposited into an account in the U.S. can be accessed via Visa, MasterCard, or American Express from ATMs in China on the Plus or the Cirrus systems. There are service fees for each transaction, even for viewing account balances.
Bank of America ATM cards can be used for cash withdrawal at China Construction Bank ATMs. Charles Schwab account holders can withdraw money from international ATMs and be reimbursed for fees incurred. However, there may be a minimum balance requirement.
Cash is issued in RMB. Exchange rates are fixed at the official rate. The maximum cash withdrawal per day is usually RMB 2,500. You can also get cash advances on your credit card, but beware that most credit card companies will charge high interest on cash advances. Check with your credit card company and bank for restrictions and possible fees associated with using your card abroad.
Be aware that Chinese ATMs sometimes run out of cash. If this happens, go into the bank and let them know.
If you plan on using your U.S. ATM and/or credit card while abroad, be sure to notify your bank ahead of time. Otherwise, they may freeze your account on suspicion of fraud. 
Communications Abroad
Internet Access


UCEAP students strongly recommend that you take your laptop to China. Chinese software can be purchased easily in China.
Laptops usually come with a transformer that works on either 120V or 220V without modification. If you need to buy a transformer; a good one will cost about $50.
Be aware that the Chinese government restricts access to a range of Internet sites, including common ones such as YouTube, Facebook, and Blogger, among others. The list of blocked sites changes frequently. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is needed to access blocked sites. 
Internet access is available in student rooms at Tonghe Apartments and Fudan’s Foreign Student Apartments. You will pay a fee for installation and use. In addition, there are many wireless hot spots on the Fudan campus, and you can also use the on-campus computer center and access points in the library.
There are also a few public Internet cafés in Shanghai. Try the Shanghai Library as an access point (and get a library card while you are there).

Check your Email Regularly

You must regularly check your e-mail. It will be used as the main mode of communication between you and UCEAP for routine business and academic advising. Access to computers on campus is easy and relatively inexpensive.
International calls to China are far less expensive than calls from China. However, callers should remember that China is 15 hours ahead of Pacific daylight saving time in the U.S. Current students suggest that you make a plan to have your friends or family call you in China, since the cost is much less than to call the U.S. from China.
Making phone calls to China is still somewhat difficult, but getting easier and cheaper each year. The wealth of options—cell phones (relatively cheap now), calling cards, and card-activated phones in dormitory rooms—makes most calling options in China a possibility.  
Callers from the U.S. can reach you at the dorm. Family and friends should learn how to say the numbers and your name in Chinese. You will receive your telephone number after arrival. Card-activated telephones are located in the dorms. Cards can be bought in many places both on and around campus, and students should look for cards with better deals. You can always buy the IP cards for less than their printed value. 
Cell phones are highly recommended for your convenience and safety. It will also allow the Study Center to reach you promptly in case of an emergency. After orientation in China, you can buy a cell phone and subscribe to an inexpensive plan or simply use pay-as-you-go cards.
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)—the technology for transmitting voice conversations via the Internet—is popular with students who take a laptop abroad. Social networking software such as Skype and QQ (Chinese) are commonly used to make free or low-cost calls over the Internet.
"When it comes to communicating with loved ones back at home, make sure you’ve kept the time difference in mind and establish when and how often you will contact one another. Set realistic expectations. This way, you will be able to avoid much of the confusion and frustration involved with international communication." - UCEAP Student
Messenging apps (e.g. WhatsApp, Line, WeChat) are also increasing in popularity.
Mail & Shipments
You will receive your mailing address after arrival in China.
Housing & Meals
The cost of housing is a fraction of what it costs to rent a room in the U.S. It provides very basic amenities and facilities at a low price and is most likely less comfortable than the dorm rooms offered by American universities.
You will make the housing payments directly to the dormitory. You must make your housing payments on time and in full. Financial aid will not make housing payments on your behalf. Financial aid offices report financial aid commitments to UCEAP. These funds are applied to the UCEAP student account. If there is a credit balance, UCEAP will request a disbursement based on the UCEAP financial aid disbursement schedule.
Chinese universities do not permit UC students to live in Chinese student dormitories. You are required to register with local authorities within 24 hours whenever your housing changes, even if you are sleeping on a friend’s sofa for two weeks. If you do not follow proper registration requirements, you may experience difficulties with local police or other authorities and you may be fined. UCEAP will not assist you in this matter. 
You may live in the Foreign Students Apartments (FSA) or in the nearby Tonghe Apartments on Wudong Road, a privately owned off-campus facility across the street from the FSA. Tonghe also has a new location in the downtown area of Yangpu District, which is about a 30 minute walk from campus. The Shanghai Study Center will e-mail students a housing application and placement will be announced prior to departure.
The FSA Main Building is 23 stories and has over 700 rooms, both singles and doubles. The new FSA Affiliated Building is seven stories and has 125 suites, each with four single rooms, one sitting area, and two bathrooms.
There is a reception desk that operates 24 hours per day. You will be required to present your identification card to enter the premises and to receive visitors. There is also a laundry service, mail room, mini market, and small lounge. Rooms are accessed by one of four elevators in the building. 
Each floor has two small communal kitchens (at either end of the floor) and residents share the gas ovens, refrigerators, and card-activated washing machines. There are also water heating systems (samovars) to boil water before drinking. On the tenth floor there are card-activated clothes dryers. The dorm’s mini market sells all the prepaid cards necessary to use services in the dorm.
Each furnished room is equipped with a private bathroom, balcony, air-conditioner, card-operated telephone, broadband Internet access, and cable television connection. You are responsible for paying all costs associated with Internet and cable usage. Television sets are not provided in the rooms, but you can rent them from the dorm. 
Chinese citizens cannot live at FSA. Many students who do not live at FSA choose to live in the Tonghe Apartments, which are also furnished and have a similar layout. Many students prefer Tonghe because the rules and regulations regarding visitors are not as restrictive as at FSA. 
You are responsible for paying a deposit and the total cost of the room in RMB immediately upon arrival at check-in. The amount you need to pay and payment instructions will be provided in the UCEAP Pre-Departure Checklist.
With Study Center approval, students may live off campus in private apartments. However, not all private apartments are properly registered with the Chinese government and the police may evict students who live in illegal housing. You must follow the Study Center’s advice, exercise caution, find reputable and safe accommodations, and register with the police. The landlord is required to accompany you to the police station and to provide a copy of the lease and apartment ownership papers.
Be cautious when using “private” agents to help you find housing. UCEAP recommends that you consult with the Study Center before making a deposit or entering into any agreement to avoid scams.
Dorm Safety
Under most circumstances, the fuwuyuan (service people, including desk clerks at dorm entrances, janitors, and other dorm personnel) do not enter the students’ rooms except to clean. Break-ins are rare, but do happen, and are often the result of people neglecting to lock their doors. Some desks have locking drawers in which to keep valuables. Remember to lock your valuables, including passports and residence permits. You are advised to take a lock or two for extra security. A hard-side suitcase with locks is another good way to protect your valuables. UCEAP recommends that you travel with copies of your important documents and leave the originals locked up safely.
A limited but comfortable wardrobe is most practical in China. Laundry detergent has improved in China, and Tide with bleach is available. Without bleach, white clothing looks gray after a few washes. Delicate items can often be ruined in washing machines or dryers, so you may want to hand-wash special items. Dry cleaning is not up to international standards, although it is acceptable.
Each dorm has laundry rooms with coin- or card-operated washing machines. Since the air in the rooms is dry during the winter, clothes hung in the room can dry overnight. Summer is humid and drying takes longer.
There are many locations to eat around Fudan. There is a student cafeteria and a number of restaurants within a five minute walk of the dorm where one can get a good meal for a few dollars. The dormitory has a coffee shop that is open until 9 p.m. There are several other student cafeterias on campus.
Shanghai is known for its wide variety of delicious food. With an international population, just about everything is available, but first try all the local specialties. If you like fish, you will enjoy the local delicacies that Shanghai’s proximity to the ocean provides. There is a wide variety of American fast-food restaurants (KFC, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, etc.) and local food courts in malls. There are also “food streets,” which are entire streets dedicated to food stalls and restaurants. Vegetarians should visit Shanghai’s monasteries for traditional Buddhist cuisine.
An array of fresh produce, meat, and vegetables is available at several local markets. While produce prices are sometimes marked on the stalls, this should not deter you from bargaining; never pay more than the stipulated price. Often, those who do not speak Chinese well or who appear to be foreign will be charged more—but you should bargain. You can find a large variety of staples, including grains and spices at various markets.  

Drinking Water

Do not drink tap water. Take (or buy after arrival) a heavy duty bottle that can hold boiling water without melting. Hot water usually is available in the dorms from 6 a.m. until midnight. Boiled water for drinking is not available before 8 a.m., so be sure to fill a thermos the night before. In some dormitories, hot water is provided in thermoses and refilled daily.
Bottled water is available everywhere, and past students have purchased an office-type water cooler (with five-gallon bottles and a water delivery service) to share at inexpensive prices.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.


Riding bikes in China is not like riding around a UC campus or neighborhood. You must exercise great care because many drivers and cyclists do not observe traffic rules, stoplights, or crosswalks. In addition, safety on the road is dubious (exposed manholes, ditches under construction that are unguarded by barricades). At night, hordes of cyclists cruise dimly lit streets without lights or reflectors. Although traffic is heavy and chaotic, most UCEAP participants have enjoyed the mobility that a bicycle affords.
"Buy a bicycle. It really makes you mobile and puts you right in there with the locals. Any time you want to buy something, visit some place, or wander around, you can just hop on your bike." - UCEAP Student
Many students purchase bicycles when they arrive in China; new bikes are available for about $25 to $100. All bikes should be locked to something solid, like a tree or a pole. Even if your bike is inexpensive, you will want to spend enough money to buy a solid and safe bike lock to prevent theft.
Parking lots for bikes abound, mainly near stores. Pay the attendant, lock your bike, and off you go. Use an additional lock on your bike. If you leave for vacation or know you will not be using your bike for a while, secure your bike in your room.

Motorcycles & Cars

Do not operate a motorized vehicle in China. Not only are the traffic patterns and driver behavior difficult to figure out, but the cost of insurance and potential complications from accidents should be enough to dissuade you from driving.
Accidents involving these kinds of vehicles are common, and some UCEAP students have been involved in them. Caution is of the utmost importance in this regard. Instead, use public transportation which will easily take you anywhere you want to go in the city.
"Be careful when you cross the street (it isn’t the U.S., cars don’t stop for you)." - UCEAP Student


Metered taxis are available 24 hours a day. However, finding an available taxi during rush hour and in the evenings can be a challange. Drivers usually do not speak any English. Fares are based on meters and are reasonable given traffic conditions. Tips are not expected. Make sure the driver turns on the meter once you get in and ask for the receipt before you exit. The U.S. Department of State reports that travelers should not hesitate to ask to be let out of a taxi immediately if the driver acts suspiciously, drives erratically, or refuses to set the meter.


The Shanghai Metro system has an extensive network consisting of multiple lines that operate at frequent intervals daily. The subway closes from late evening to 5 a.m., so be prepared to pay a cab fare to return home if you stay out late at night.
"If you want to explore, utilize the metro system. It’s actually very extensive and goes to a lot of interesting places (but be careful about what time each line closes, they can vary)." - UCEAP Student
You can purchase and reload a Shanghai Public Transportation Card (SPTC), also known as jiaotong yikatong, at Shanghai Metro stations. Single ride tickets are also available. Fares are determined by the distance traveled and range from RMB 3 to RMB 10.
"Get a transportation card! It will save you a couple RMB when you take the bus and metro in the same day, and no hassle to find change. The metro is very convenient and can take you almost anywhere." - UCEAP Student
Visit the Shanghai Metro website for additional information.


The Shanghai public bus system provides coverage to most areas of the city. Fares vary by bus type and/or distance and can be paid using coins or the Shanghai Public Transportation Card. English bus route listings can be found online.
Extracurricular Activities
Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve your language skills, and integrate more fully into the community. Join sports, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations; attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles; and get the most out of your time abroad.
Be careful about making too many commitments early on. While there is time to pursue some individual interests, you are expected to attend classes and participate in organized activities and excursions.
The range of UC student involvement in Chinese cultural activities has been very broad. Past students have studied martial arts, Chinese medicine, dance, and music through contacts that they have made—usually through the international student network.
In addition to the existing local resources (local magazines and websites), the Study Center staff has information on academic, cultural, and social events, and will arrange a few activities and excursions for the UCEAP group.
Tutoring English is also a good way to mingle with Chinese students. In addition, both UCB and UCLA have alumni associations in Shanghai that organize activities on a regular basis. Fudan students have also recently started a Fudan-UC student alumni association. Shanghai has developed an active nightclub scene that is popular on weekends.
"Step out of your comfort zone and hang out with Chinese local students! They’re really nice and want to meet foreign students to practice their English. The local students are shy so take the initiative to meet them!" - UCEAP Student

Gym Facilities

Various athletic facilities are on the Fudan campus, including basketball courts, volleyball courts, badminton courts, and a running track and field. These facilities are available to students at specified times and are charged by the hour. Other gyms are available in the city at varying prices. 
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities will find accessibility and accommodation very different from what they find in the United States.  Standards adopted for making roads and buildings accessible to persons with disabilities are subject to the Law on the Handicapped, which calls for their "gradual" implementation; however, compliance with the law is lax.  Even in newer areas of large cities, sidewalks often do not have curb cuts, making wheelchair or stroller use difficult.  Many large streets can be crossed only via overhead pedestrian bridges not accessible except by staircase.  Although some sidewalks have special raised “buttons” or strips to help those who are blind or have restricted sight to follow the pavement, they are unreliable.  While most public buildings have elevators, they are often locked, and the responsible official with the key must be located before they can be used.
In major cities, public restrooms in places visited by tourists usually have a least one handicap-accessible toilet.  International signage is used to identify handicap-accessible facilities.  Free or reduced-entry fares on public transportation are sometimes provided for a handicapped person and a companion, although this is usually stated only in Chinese and is often restricted to residents with special identification cards.​
For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form
Individual travel is permitted on free weekends, but you are responsible for making your own arrangements. The UCEAP Student Budget does not include funds for personal travel. You must inform the Study Center by e-mail of your travel plans if you plan to be gone for an overnight trip.
While there is time to pursue individual interests, you are expected to attend classes and participate in organized activities and excursions. Chinese universities are strict about attendance, and absences may bar you from taking the final examinations or from receiving final grades.
There are over 600 cities and areas in China open to visitors without special travel permits, including most major scenic and historical sites. However, the U.S. State Department advises visitors to be aware that Chinese government regulations prohibit travel in certain areas without special permission. For more information, contact the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate or, once abroad, contact the American embassy or American consulate.
"The best cure for everything that will get on your nerves is traveling. China is an amazing and beautiful country. Buy a backpack; start reading about places to see; ask friends, family, and former UCEAP students what’s worth seeing; and expect to have some of the best times of your life." - UCEAP Student
The Lonely Planet website provides good travel tips, youth hostel information, etc. The Lonely Planet guide is difficult to find in China. It sells out as soon as it is stocked. Take a copy from home.
"Traveling around China improved my speaking ability more than anything. Speaking to people while traveling and seeing different cities improved my knowledge of Chinese geography and social conditions." - UCEAP Student

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the U.S.), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad
Due to immigration regulations, students are not permitted to work in China. Working illegally is not endorsed or supported by UCEAP and can result in your arrest and prosecution for breaking the law.
LGBTIQ Students
Attitudes toward the LGBT community continue to evolve. Most aspects of public and official life demonstrate ambivalence toward homosexuality. The government does not actively support the LGBT community, but neither does it impose sanctions. Urban Chinese tend to be accepting of homosexuality, but in deeply conservative rural areas, homosexuality is neither discussed nor socially accepted. The result is a complex risk environment that has few clear social guidelines but little overt threat of violence or abuse.
​For more information,
UCEAP Insurance

Know Before you Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy.  Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP travel insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. Your travel insurance policy number is ADDN 04834823.  It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
There is no deductible or co-insurance but the travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis.  You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses.  For more information about the medical claim proces or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance.  Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country).  It is your responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits and Claims Status

ACI at

Fudan Insurance
In addition to the mandatory UCEAP Insurance Plan, the Chinese Ministry of Education requires all students to apply for their Mandatory Health Insurance plan. You must pay the premium for the insurance policy during registration at Fudan. Additional information is provided with the Fudan admission packet.
Staying Healthy
Meet with a travel health specialist before departure from the U.S. to get any vaccines and advice you need before your trip. Going at least 4–6 weeks before you travel is best, so that any travel vaccines you need have time to take effect and you have plenty of time to get vaccines that require more than one dose.  If you need travel vaccines, your campus health insurance plan may cover them if you have campus insurance.  Talk to your campus insurance office at Student Health before your coverage expires.  The UCEAP travel insurance doesn't not cover travel vaccines or preventive care.​

Local Medical Facilities
Western-style medical facilities with international staffs are available.  In rural areas, only rudimentary medical facilities are generally available with often poorly trained medical personnel who have little medical equipment and medications. Rural clinics are often reluctant to accept responsibility for treating foreigners, even in emergency situations.

If you feel sick or have a medical emergency, seek medical attention and contact the Study Center immediately. The Study Center can recommend which clinic to visit, provide information about the UCEAP insurance claims process, and help make arrangements with your professors if you expect an extended absence.
A high level of medical care is available at 1 or more internationally staffed hospitals in Beijing and Shanghai. Adequate medical care is available at 1 or more internationally staffed outpatient clinics in Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, Tianjin, Guangzhou, and Shekou, and may be available in other major cities. Hospital accommodations, and medical care in general, are inadequate throughout the rest of the country, and advanced technology is lacking. Shortages of routine medications and supplies may be encountered.
In most rural areas, only rudimentary medical facilities are available, often with medical personnel who are poorly trained and have limited medical equipment and medications. Rural clinics are often reluctant to accept responsibility for treating foreigners, even in emergency situations.
Even in the VIP/foreigner wards of major hospitals, patients have frequently encountered difficulty due to cultural, language, and regulatory differences. Physicians and hospitals have sometimes refused to supply American patients with complete copies of their Chinese hospital medical records, including laboratory test results, scans, and X-rays.
Hospitals do not process insurance claim forms. You are expected to pay when services are rendered. In some hospitals, you may have to pay a cash deposit before being admitted. Debit cards are not acceptable forms of payment. Be sure to have funds available to cover this contingency. After a service covered by the insurance plan is provided, you will need to submit a completed claim with supporting documentation within 30 days. See the UCEAP Insurance Claims Process for claim forms and details.
UCEAP strongly recommends that you have an emergency credit card on hand or quick access to cash in case of an emergency.


Both municipal and private ambulance services in China remain substandard. Response time is typically very slow and transport to the nearest hospital can take a long time due to congested traffic. Most ambulances are poorly equipped and staffed by individuals lacking EMT training. If you are injured or seriously ill, take a taxi or other immediately available vehicle to the nearest major hospital instead of waiting for an ambulance.

Shanghai United Family Hospital

If you are sick or injured, seek medical care at the Shanghai United Family Hospital, which is on the east side of Shanghai, about 30 minutes by taxi from Fudan and 40 minutes from Jiao Tong. You pay for your treatment and submit a claim to the UCEAP insurance. If you are hospitalized the UCEAP assistance providers, United Healthcare Global, will make arrangements to pay the hospital bill directly but you must contact them first.  Their contact information is on the insurance card. If you have questions about benefits and the claims process, contact ACI at
Shanghai United Family Hospital
No. 1139, Xianxia Road, Changning District, Shanghai 200336
上海和睦家医院上海市长宁区仙霞路1139号 邮编:200336
Phone: (86) 21-2216-3900 (Press 2 for an English-language operator)
Emergency Hotline: (86) 21- 2216-3999
Physical Health

Know Before you Go

Inform yourself before you travel.  Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care.  Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
"Expect different hygienic and etiquette practices: lots of spitting, littering, pushing, no lines, blowing snot on the ground, etc. Patience and understanding are definite virtues here. Also expect lots of traffic, pollution, and crowds." - UCEAP Student
In China’s vast territory, standards of hygiene can and do vary from place to place. The standard of medical care and the range of familiar medications available in China are often limited, particularly outside of major cities. Medical personnel in rural areas of the country may lack adequate training.
The required online UCEAP Travel Health Education Certification course will provide you with predeparture health-related advice about specific precautions and recommended vaccinations. You are responsible for reading all health‑related UCEAP materials.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travelers’ Health website is a good source of information.


  • Good basic personal hygiene and handwashing are critical to help prevent the spread of illness and disease. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially before eating.
  • Bring a good multivitamin to last the duration of the program.
  • Do not consume tap water, fountain drinks, or ice cubes. Drink only boiled water or beverages in sealed containers. 
  • Avoid undercooked food, dairy products, and food from street vendors.
  • Avoid swimming, wading, or rafting in bodies of fresh water—such as lakes, ponds, canals, streams, or rivers—to prevent serious parasitic infections.
  • Avoid handling all animals. Wash any bites or scratches right away with soap and water and immediately seek medical attention. 
"Take toilet paper with you wherever you go. Health conditions are bearable, but be careful and stay as clean and healthy as possible." - UCEAP Student
Even if you are healthy, you need to be prepared. China is almost the same size as the United States, but it has five times the population, and densely populated areas are prone to more frequent viral outbreaks.
You may be susceptible to diarrhea, colds, insect-born illnesses, and other illnesses after arriving in China. Take a small personal medical kit containing cold remedies, cough drops, cough medicine, throat lozenges, and medication for diarrhea, nausea, and upset stomach. Have enough to get you through the first few weeks until you can find what you need in China.


If you are covered by campus insurance, inquire about travel vaccine coverage.  There is significant rabies risk from dogs exists throughout the country.  Vaccination is recommended for prolonged stays for all travelers.

Japanese encephalitis

If you are covered by campus insurance, inquire about travel vaccine coverage.  Risk exists in rural agricultural areas throughout the country, especially in Chongqing, Sichuan, Guizhou, and Yunnan provinces; and in peri-urban areas around Beijing and Shanghai. Risk does not exist in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and Qinghai Province. Transmission is significant from June through October and negligible the rest of the year.

Tick-borne encephalitis

At the time of writing this guide, risk exists in the northeastern part of the country in provinces along the border with Russia (Jilin, Heilongjiang, and northern Inner Mongolia provinces). Some risk may exist in Tibet and Yunnan provinces but specific current epidemiologic data are unavailable. Transmission occurs from April through December.


Due to the burning of soft coal during the winter, all major cities and especially those with major industrial regions are heavily polluted with potential for significant exacerbation of allergies and respiratory conditions including asthma.
See the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Prescription Medications


  • Understand your UCEAP travel insurance terms of coverage.
  • If you need a refill while abroad, you must see a local doctor. US prescriptions are not valid in other countries.  Note:​ If the visit to the local doctor is considered preventive care, it will not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance; your campus or private insurance plan may cover it.  You must travel with a letter from your prescribing explaining your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name. 
  • If you need to find out if this appointment would be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance, contact ACI at For more information about the UCEAP travel insurance, refer to your UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, or your pre-departure checklist, Insurance tab.
  • Two classes of medicines – narcotics and psychotropics – are under the control of international law. This covers any medicine that can have an effect on the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the potential to be abused. The narcotic class mostly relates to analgesic opioids and their derivatives (e.g. morphine and codeine) which tend to be highly regulated. Psychotropics are all those medications likely to be used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychotic conditions.

Before Departure

  • If you plan to purchase medication using the UCEAP Travel Insurance coverage, you must fill and pay for medication when coverage is effective (14 days before the official start of the program).  Do not assume that your local pharmacy knows about the UCEAP travel insurance policy.  It is not the same as your campus health insurance coverage. You will need to pay for the medication and submit a claim to the UCEAP insurance.
  • Find out whether your medication is legal in your UCEAP country.
  • If traveling with a prescription containing controlled substances, review international agreements governing the transportation of medications across borders check the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) website. The INCB is responsible for international drug control. If traveling with controlled substances, you must have a letter from your doctor. Generally, amphetamines (e.g., Adderall, Vyvanse) are illegal in other countries. Talk with your doctor to switch you to another medication.
  • Talk to your doctor to see whether he/she can prescribe an adequate supply of your prescription medication to last through the end of the program.  Ask your doctor how to adjust your dosage depending on time zone changes.
  • Get a letter from the prescribing physician, on letterhead, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name as brand names vary considerably around the world.

Traveling with prescription medications

  • Keep the medication in its original packaging clearly labelled with your name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage. Carry it in your carry-on luggage, provided it is in pill or solid form. For more information, particularly if your medication is in liquid form, consult the US Transportation Security Administration., Traveling with Medications.
  • Carry copies of all original US prescriptions.
  • Carry the letter on letterhead from the prescribing physician for all prescribed medications, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic names. This is extremely important in case you need treatment or a medication refill abroad.

Why is a letter from your treating physician necessary? 

If your particular medication cannot be taken into the country, talk to your doctor.  If you need to switch prescriptions, your doctor may need to make changes to your medication at least 3-6 months before departure to monitor side effects and dosage.  The letter from your doctor indicating condition, treatment and medication regimen, can help a local physician to assess you and to consider reissuing your prescription provided it is licensed in your UCEAP country. Note that the local doctor's appointment for medication refill may not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.

Consult with ACI, Read more in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health section.

Adderall is not legal in China. Work with your treating physician to request a substitute medication. 
Mental Health
If you are currently in treatment in the U.S., discuss your UCEAP program details with your doctor so you can work on a plan in case you need to reach out for care. If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician before departure about getting the supply you need for going abroad.  For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.​

Your mental health is important to us all. Create a plan with your treating doctor. Managing your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a pre-existing condition – is something every person must think about when going abroad. Being away from usual stress at home can sometimes be a relief when abroad; experiencing new adventures can be a useful distraction. You will also have times when you feel confused, uncomfortable, annoyed, and many of the same emotions that you manage in your daily life at home.
Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.

You may feel homesick or sad. Feeling down, anxious, homesick, depressed or stressed might be your body’s reaction to the new environment and different life away from your usual support network. Don't cope alone.  Reach out for help to the local UCEAP program staff and your friends.  If you have been feeling unhappy for longer than a few days, or it is staring to affect your enjoyment of life and/or your studies, then you should see a doctor immediately.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at
The prevalence of mental illness is rising in China but treatment facilities remain underdeveloped. China’s mental health care trails behind many countries around the world. There is lack of trained mental health professionals, low investment in mental health, high stigma among the population, and lack of an effective public mental health systems of care. Official policy does not permit primary health care professionals to independently diagnose and treat mental disorders within the primary care system. There is a reluctance to address mental illness and psychiatry due to the limited extent to which health care professionals and public health officials are involved with the issue. The country's public health system is struggling to keep up with the demand in mental health care.
In most regions of China, few good options exist even for local families that try to find professional help. China’s mental health hospitals are too few and grossly understaffed. China has a severe undersupply of trained mental health staff. Students with pre-existing conditions will need a treatment plan in place indicating when and who they will be reaching out for help.”

The UCEAP travel insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Work closely with the UCEAP staff in China to schedule an appointment with licensed medical providers.

Shanghai Mental Health Resources

Shanghai International Mental Health Association (SIMHA): Lists Therapists of all nationalities with practices in Shanghai and their area of expertise.

Fudan Counseling and Psychological Center 

The International Students Psychological Counseling Center at Fudan University provides psychological counseling service to all on-campus international students for free.

Location: Room 119 and 126, International Students Dorm (Foreign Students Apartments)

Phone: (86-21) 6564-3407, (86-21) 6564-3339
If you cannot make the appointment, you must contact the Center staff for cancellation 24 hours in advance. The cost for missing an appointment will be your responsibiity. The UCEAP travel insurance does not cover the fee for a missed appointment.
Health Risks


Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Follow these tips for safe eating and drinking:
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially before eating.  If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand gel (with at least 60% alcohol).
  • Do not eat food purchased from street vendors.
  • Make sure food is fully cooked.
  • Avoid dairy products, unless you know they have been pasteurized.
Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits. 


Dehydration can be a particular problem during travel. Listen to your body and learn to recognize the signs that you are not getting enough fluids.
China’s water supplies are often inadequate and many are polluted. All water in China must be boiled or treated before drinking. Most dorms and hotels have boiled water available for drinking (for tea, or plain, after it cools).
Do not consume tap water, fountain drinks, or ice cubes. Never drink unboiled water. Boiled water or bottled water is the best choice. Take (or buy after arrival) a heavy duty water bottle that can hold boiling water without melting. Cholera is active throughout the country. You must observe precautions.


China is the largest tobacco production and consumption country in the world. Even though a ban on smoking in most public buildings has come into force in Beijing and Shanghai, it is common to see many smokers inside and outside buildings.
Health officials started a crusade to clean up the city’s air by introducing strict new rules to restrict smoking in public places. However, many smokers are still commonly found inside and outside buildings.
If you have a chronic health condition that is exacerbated by cigarette smoke, consult with your physician before departure.


Health authorities report a high number of animal and human rabies cases annually in China. Do not touch wild or domestic animals in China. 

Infectious Diseases

UCEAP continually reviews information from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization, works closely with medical experts on the UC campuses, and monitors local host university and country health resources.
Exercise care to prevent avian flu:
  • Avoid poultry farms, contact with animals in live food markets, and any surfaces that appear to be contaminated with feces or fluids from poultry or other animals.
  • Wash hands frequently with soap and water.
  • Avoid those that appear ill. Wear an FDA-approved respirator mask when in public transportation during flu season.
  • Stay informed of the situation.
  • Eat thoroughly cooked food and drink bottled water.
  • Refer to additional information on the UCEAP website.
In the event of a pandemic, UCEAP’s ability to assist you abroad may be severely limited by restrictions on local and international movement imposed for public health reasons by foreign governments or the United States. 


HIV/AIDS is a significant concern in China. There is risk of exposure to unsafe blood and blood products in regional China. Specifically request the use of sterilized equipment. Additional charges may be incurred for the use of new syringes in hospitals or clinics. Exercise appropriate precautions if engaging in activities that expose you to risk of infection.


It is not unusual for many to consume large quantities of strong alcohol served in clubs in China. On rare occasions this has led to severe illness or even death. This year a local student died after taking the bar's challenge of drinking 6 cocktails in 3 minutes. The amount of alcohol was more than 1,000 milliliters of a strong alcoholic beverage.

A popular drink is Baijiu, also known as shaojiu. It is a Chinese alcoholic beverage made from grain. Báijiǔ literally means "white (clear) alcohol" or liquor, and is a strong distilled spirit, generally 52% alcohol by volume (ABV) (US: 104° proof).

Fake alcohol (ingredients include, antifreeze, methanol, isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is also sometimes sold in bars and this can be more damaging to health than genuine products. Alcohol use disorders (AUDs), which encompass harmful patterns of drinking, such as alcohol dependence and abuse, have grown to become a frequent problem linked to disturbances in mental and physical health and in social functioning in China.
Food Allergies
Students with severe food allergies should take precautions, as the cuisine may include ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis in those affected. A language barrier increases the risks associated with severe food allergies. 
Precautions to take include:
  • Research the local cuisine. Be aware that some popular local sauces may contain nuts.
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor six to eight weeks before departure to discuss your treatment plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need to prevent an adverse reaction like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, with your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions for assistance in both English and the local language. Wearing medical identification at all times can help should a life-threatening reaction occur.
  • Tell others about your food allergy.
  • Carry a card written in English and the local language explaining what foods cause allergies and possible reaction. Make several copies in case you lose one. Be sure to have a native speaker verify that you have written everything correctly.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Air Quality
Excessive air pollution is a major problem in most Chinese cities. According to the World Bank, only one percent of China’s 560 million urban residents breathe air considered safe by EU standards. China is home to 16 of the 20 dirtiest cities and the largest emitter of greenhouse gases.
During the summer, high heat and humidity will also contribute to China’s poor air quality. Air pollution can result in cardiovascular or respiratory illnesses or the exacerbation of preexisting illness. If you have a preexisting respiratory condition, you may be especially at risk. Consult with your doctor before departure. Minimize exposure to the pollution while in China.
Dust storms, which occur on occasion across the north of the country, can cause eye, nose, mouth and throat irritations and exacerbate respiratory and cardiovascular problems. Some visitors develop a sore throat during the first few days in the city due to the air pollution.
Air pollution can make asthma symptoms worse and trigger attacks. Exposure to fine particle pollution (PM2.5) contributes to cardiovascular disease. In addition to talking to your doctor before departure from the U.S., refer to the following tips.
  • Plan activities when and where pollution levels are lower.
  • Change your activity level. When the air is polluted, try to take it easier if you are active outdoors. This will reduce how much pollution you breathe. Even if you can’t change your schedule, you might be able to change your activity so it is less intense.
  • Listen to your body.
  • Wear an N-95 respirator (approved by the United States National Institute of Safety and Health) and follow instructions from UCEAP and local public health messages.
  • If you have a smartphone, get an app that can report instantly on outdoor air pollution and monitor levels before venturing out.
Even if you are healthy, you may experience temporary symptoms, such as irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; phlegm; chest tightness; and shortness of breath.
If you have lung disease, you may not be able to breathe as deeply or as vigorously as normal, and you may experience coughing, chest discomfort, wheezing, shortness of breath, and unusual fatigue. If you have any of these symptoms, reduce your exposure to particles and follow your doctor's advice.
If you have asthma or other chronic condition that could be impacted by air pollution, ask your doctor before departure from the U.S. to design an action plan in case your symptoms get worse while studying and living in China.
Updates on air quality and related issues in China can be found on the VECC-MEP website.  
Contact Lenses
If you wear contact lenses, take the prescription and a pair of glasses with you in case the heat or the air quality makes contacts uncomfortable. If you find you can wear contacts in China, they are readily available at half the U.S. price in all brands and colors. Various brands of saline solutions, daily cleaners, and enzyme removers are also available.
"If you wear contact lenses, take a pair of glasses with you." - UCEAP Student
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk

You play an active role in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. Consider an action plan.

With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing personal risks. Take time to assess the risks, plan ahead to reduce them, and think how you would lessen the consequences if things go wrong. Start by outlining activities you plan to engage in through your program and/or during independent travel; label the risk and rate it based on the likelihood of harm and the severity of consequences. Consider measures you can take to reduce the severity and chance. Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and has contracted with emergency assistance and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. 
Be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate and unpredictable terrorist attacks, which make it impossible to protect yourself from. Remain vigilant in all public areas in your UCEAP city and country and wherever you travel. Many terrorist groups, seeking publicity for political causes within their own country or region, are not looking for student or higher education targets.

Terrorist attacks using vehicles are very hard to prevent and appear to be on the rise. If you are in a crowded public place, know how you can exit quickly, identify barriers or safe places where you can shelter-in-place, and watch out for any vehicles that appear to be going at very high speed.

Report anything suspicious to local authorities.  Read all security-related correspondence and advice from local staff.  Schedule direct flights, if possible.  Avoid stops in high-risk airports or areas. Minimize time spent in the public area of an airport, which is a less protected area.  Keep a mental note of safe havens, such as police stations, hotels, and hospitals. Have a plan for what you will do in the case of an emergency.  If you are ever caught in a situation where somebody starts shooting, follow the active shooter guidelines: drop to the floor, get down as low as possible, and hide if possible.  Cover yourself behind a solid object. Silence your phone. Do not move until the danger has passed.

Steps to manage or minimize risk and enhance your personal safety

  • Familiarize yourself with all UCEAP resources and emergency support services while on UCEAP.

  • Assess your surroundings.  Learn to recognize danger.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones.

  • When entering larger venues, always decide on a meeting place with those you are with just in case you get separated. Always identify possible exits.

  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Assess reasonable and safe options. Trust your "gut feelings"; if you feel threatened, act if safe to do so and leave the area immediately. Find somewhere more secure.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter before you travel. 
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking. Know your limits. In many countries beer, wine and liquor in some countries contains a higher alcohol content than similar products in the U.S. Know what you are drinking and how much alcohol it contains.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?
Register online with the U.S. embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
Read the UCEAP the Guide to Study Abroad, Safety Chapter  for more information on how to prepare to have a safe experience and access the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.
Crime & Prevention
Shanghai is a relatively safe destination with a crime rate comparable to that of major metropolitan cities of comparable size.  Lesser-developed areas in major cities have a higher rate of crime.  Statistically, more crimes of opportunity transpire during late night/early morning hours.  China's high conviction rate, use of modern technology in policing and extensive law enforcement presence throughout the city serve to deter most criminal activity.  Violent crime does occur but the rate is relatively low considering the city's large population. 

Petty crime (pickpocketing, credit card fraud, various financial scams) occur at rates consistent with previous years.  Pickpocketing is quite common on public transportation, in shopping areas, and at tourist sites.  Small thief groups commonly work in concert when targeting their victims. 

Violent crimes affecting the expatriate community most often occur at bars, clubs, and restaurants in Shanghai’s vibrant nightlife districts. Bar fights have occurred due to misunderstandings, miscommunication, bravado, alcohol consumption, or some combination. While the legal age for consuming alcohol in China is 18, most establishments in Shanghai do not require identification. Some bars are overcrowded, and safety standards are seldom enforced. Prostitutes and drug dealers may be present in some bars and clubs. Sexual assaults have been reported, though incidents appear to be relatively rare. Most instances involve the consumption of alcohol beverages in bars, nightclubs, and massage parlors. Individuals who frequent bars, nightclubs, and similar establishments are more likely to be involved in physical altercations afterhours. Sexual assault may also occur in unlicensed taxi cabs.

Scams and Common Theft Tricks

While there have been several reported instances of robbery by force at bars/restaurants, many cases involved a variation of the same scam. Typically, a victim is invited to a specific location for a massage, tea, drinks, or music, often by an attractive local national. Once inside, the victim is confronted and violently threatened to turn over his/her credit card. The credit cards are charged thousands of dollars in undelivered services, and the victim is forced to sign the receipt. In most cases, victims are released unharmed, but not before receiving further threats of violence if the police are notified. This trend has been occurred for several years. Local police are engaged, but little is done because the victims generally do not report the crime until after they have departed China. Police seem unwilling to investigate crimes if the complainant is not present in China. In instances where the victim has reported the crime to the police immediately, there has been limited success in recovering lost money or valuables, and evidence of perpetrators being prosecuted is scarce. Similarly, foreigners may be approached by two or more Chinese citizens (most often attractive females). The two will ask the foreigners to take a picture of/with them. The conversation develops, at which point the foreigners are invited to practice English over a drink at a tea shop/bar. The bill ends up being overpriced, and foreigners are threatened that the local police will arrest them if the bill is not settled.

Individuals posing as plainclothes police officers will threaten to levy fake criminal charges against a victim.  A financial solution to the problem will be quickly suggested; if accepted, the charge will disappear, and the victim will be released. 

Foreigners are often approached by beggars with young children or a disabled child.  Sometimes beggars will kneel and ask for money.  They may approach their victims while singing sad Chinese songs out of sound amplifiers, strapped to their upper bodies, appealing to the victim's sympathy.  Some of these beggars are part of a large network of criminals using children and handicapped persons in their criminal enterprise.
  • Be cautious when approached by strangers and always request to see the price list before agreeing to any goods/services.
  • Remain aware of your surroundings and alert.
Police are generally effective and helpful to foreign crime victims. The police force has English-speaking personnel available to assist foreigners, but officers usually only speak Shanghainese and/or Mandarin Chinese.
Stay in close touch with the Study Center and attend all meetings organized by Study Center officials.

Preventing Theft

The best deterrents against crime are awareness and common sense. Take prudent measures to protect your own well-being just as you would do on your home UC campus. Be aware of your surroundings and vigilant at all times.
Pay attention to all signs—even instincts—that alert you to possible danger. Buses and trains are typically very crowded; safeguard personal belongings, particularly cell phones, and keep baggage within eyesight. Never carry an unlocked backpack on your back when walking or riding a bike. Do not place items of high value inside.
Keep your dorm door and windows locked, both when you are in your room and when you are not, and never allow strangers to enter the premises. Every incident of dorm robbery in the past occurred while dorm doors or windows were left unlocked. Do not invite strangers or questionable acquaintances to your dorm.
Do not give your personal information to strangers or go places with them alone. Caution is necessary in isolated areas, particularly at night, and traveling in groups is advisable. Some portions of the campus are not well lit at night, so exercise caution. If you are traveling in an area and feel unsafe, leave the area immediately.
Show purpose and awareness while walking around, assess your surroundings and heed all signs—even instincts—that alert you to possible danger. Situational awareness is necessary to avoid being a victim of crime.
It is also important for you to stay in close touch with the Study Center and attend all meetings organized by Study Center officials.

Counterfeit Currency

Counterfeit currency is a significant concern in China. Cab drivers and businesses have given many people, not just tourists, counterfeit currency. Carrying small bills or using exact change, particularly in taxis, can help protect you.
Some merchants will switch a large bill with a counterfeit bill and return it to you, claiming that you passed them the counterfeit bill. If you must pay with RMB 100 bills, it may be useful to note the last few serial numbers before paying in case they get switched. There have been cases of people receiving counterfeit bills from free-standing ATMs. Use only ATMs at financial institutions or those recommended by the Study Center.

Chinese Law & Criminal Penalties

While in China, as in any other country, you are subject to that country’s laws and regulations, which sometimes differ significantly from those in the U.S. Local laws and penalties, including ones that appear harsh by U.S. standards, apply to you. Americans are not protected by U.S. laws while in China.
Penalties for breaking the law can be more severe than those enforced in the U.S. for similar offenses. Persons violating the law, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. If you are arrested or jailed, the U.S. Government will do what it can to help you but they cannot get you out of trouble or out of jail.
  • In China, you may be taken in for questioning if you don’t have your passport with you or if you take pictures of certain buildings.
  • Do not take photographs of airports, government buildings, or other strategic infrastructure in China. Ask permission when taking pictures outside typical tourist sites. People caught taking pictures of sensitive installations may be subject to detention and interrogation, often without representation.
  • Penalties for drug possession, use, and trafficking are strict. Offenders can expect severe jail sentences and fines. In the past, some foreign nationals have been executed for drug offenses. Other foreigners convicted on drug-related charges have received 15-year sentences. 
China does not recognize dual nationality. Travelers holding U.S. passports who also hold Chinese citizenship are likely to be regarded by the Chinese authorities as a Chinese citizen, even if you travel to China on your U.S. passport. If you have formally renounced Chinese citizenship, carry clear evidence that you have done so. U.S. Embassy and Consulate officials are often denied access to arrested or detained U.S. citizens who do not enter China using their U.S. passport. For more information see the Dual-National U.S. Citizens section in this guide.
As a foreign national over 16 years of age, you are required to carry your passport or a passport copy with you at all times. Police carry out random checks, especially during periods of heightened security and around major sporting or political events. Failure to produce your ID can lead to a fine or detention. 


The use of drugs is forbidden by law. There are severe penalties in China for drug offences including the death penalty.
Civil Unrest
Political protest is illegal in China and is rarely encountered by foreigners. Travelers who have attempted to engage in political protest activities in public places have been deported quickly, in some cases at their own expense, usually before the U.S. Embassy is aware of the situation.
Participating in unauthorized political activities or protests against Chinese policy in China may result in lengthy detentions and may impact your eligibility for future visas to visit China. Foreigners engaging in pro-Falun Gong or pro-Tibetan activities have been detained or immediately deported from China, usually at their own expense, after being questioned. Several reported they were subject to interrogations and were physically abused during detention. In addition, some alleged that personal property, including clothing, cameras, and computers, was not returned.
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Most traffic injuries involve pedestrians or cyclists.
Do not drive. With only 4% of the world’s vehicles, China has 15% of the total global road fatalities. Injuries in road crashes are the second leading cause of death for people 15 to 44 years old in China. It has one of the highest road fatality rates in the world and the rate is increasing rapidly. Traffic is often chaotic, and right-of-way and other courtesies are often ignored. Cars, bicycles, motorbikes, trucks, and buses often treat road signs and signals as advisory rather than mandatory.
Most traffic accident injuries involve pedestrians or cyclists who are involved in collisions or who encounter unexpected road hazards (e.g., unmarked open manholes).
Cars, bicycles, motorbikes, trucks, and buses often treat road signs and signals as advisory rather than mandatory. Transport security is a concern in China, and using mass transit when traveling alone is inadvisable.
Criminals operate on subways, buses, and commuter trains; bus and rail stations are havens for pickpockets and thieves. Taking steps to reduce vulnerability when riding trains or buses is necessary. Keep valuables secured at all times.
All forms of public transportation are crowded and can become dangerously so during peak times (morning and evening commutes). Passengers typically must be able to read Chinese to read maps and fare charts. Drivers usually do not know any foreign languages. Beware of pickpockets and thieves.

Few U.S. Embassy personnel take public buses, as they are often overfilled to dangerous levels, have poor temperature controls, and do not provide route information in English. Bus accidents are also common.
Robbery is a growing problem that has led to the deployment of mobile police teams at stations with notable security problems and on crime-prone train services. Outside main cities, few stations have strict security measures to limit access to platforms where scam artists and other petty criminals abound.
Use trains during daylight hours only, if possible. Booking the highest-class ticket available is recommended. Do not accept food or drinks from strangers; criminals occasionally drug unsuspecting victims. Never leave belongings unattended when traveling on trains.
Women traveling on public transportation may be groped or sexually harassed verbally, particularly during periods of warm weather. Women should avoid traveling alone on buses and trains at night, especially since taxis are relatively inexpensive, easy to find on main streets, and much safer.


Use official taxis (two-tone sedans) that employ meters. Avoid taking unmarked private cars (heiche) that function as illegal taxis.Do not take black cars that are unlicensed and without meters. If a driver refuses to use a meter, exit the vehicle and use another taxi. Drivers should always use the meter and provide receipts. If they don't, passengers can call complaint hotlines run by the government in Beijing: 68351150 or 68351570.  In Shanghai the official complaint line is 12319. Large cities in China may have English-speaking staff available on these hotlines.

Few drivers speak a foreign language, so have your destination written in Chinese characters. 

Taxis rarely have functioning seatbelts for passengers. If seatbelts are available, use them to reduce the risk of injury.

Make sure the driver's taxi registration is clearly visible on the dashboard near the windshield on the passenger's side. You can find an example registration here:

Beijing taxi fares are artificially suppressed, making taxis reasonably priced but difficult to hail; supply often falls far short of demand, especially during peak times. Taxis routinely refuse to stop for foreigners, particularly those of African descent. Many foreigners have been stranded for long periods because they could not get a taxi or the taxi driver demanded a huge surcharge. Taxi drivers often refuse to take fares that require them to leave the center of the city.

The US Embassy has received reports of foreigners taking rickshaws or pedi-cabs at tourist sites (Tiananmen Square, Houhai Park) and being driven through hutongs (or alleyways) where they were shaken down for money. Typically, however, the victims are left relatively unharmed.

For more information, access, Taxi and Bus Passenger Safety Checklist

Pedestrian Safety

  • Vehicles traveling in the wrong lanes frequently hit pedestrians and bicyclists. Be careful while walking near traffic. Most traffic accident injuries involve pedestrians or cyclists who are involved in collisions or who encounter unexpected road hazards (e.g., unmarked open manholes).
  • Exercise special caution when crossing streets in China; pedestrians do not have the right of way.
  • Cars regularly make right turns at a red light without stopping and will not yield for pedestrians.
  • Even if crossing a one-way street, always look both ways.
  • Pedestrian bridges and underpasses may be lacking.
  • Pedestrians may be fined for crossing against crosswalk signals.
  • Cars and buses traveling in the wrong lanes often hit pedestrians and cyclists on sidewalks.

For more information access, Pedestrian Safety Checklist.

​Natural Disasters
The rainy season occurs between April and October. Severe rainstorms can cause flooding and mudslides which may interrupt essential services. Typhoons can occur along the southern and eastern coasts between May and November. Monitor weather reports if travelling in affected areas. Identify local shelters.
China is subject to earthquakes. In general, the seismic hazard of Shanghai is low to medium. For more information about earthquake history in China, visit
Privacy Concerns

Surveillance, Monitoring, and Privacy

There is no reasonale expectation of privacy in public or private locations. Security personnel carefully watch foreign visitors and may place you under surveillance. All means of communication—public phones, cell phones, faxes, e-mails, text messages, etc.—are likely monitored. The Chinese government has access to the infrastructure operated by the limited number of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and wireless providers operating in China, and monitors them closely for any sign of activities and words considered subversive or pornographic. Wireless access to the Internet in major metropolitan areas is becoming more and more common. As such, the government can more easily access official and personal computers.
The Chinese government has publicly declared that it regularly monitors private e-mail and Internet browsing through cooperation with local ISPs. The government also employs several thousand individuals to police the Internet. Some bloggers are subject to particular scrutiny in China where such activity is often carefully monitored and in some cases blocked, depending upon the subject matter.
In general, be discreet about discussing politics and religion while in China. These are sensitive issues and are regulated by the government. Officials monitor information travelers bring into the country, especially political or religious material. Writing that is deemed antigovernment is not allowed, including some Christian literature and anything that supports the Tibetan freedom movement.
Personal Emergency Plan
Many of the same challenges you face in the U.S. will exist in China. Prepare yourself. Know before you travel. Safety and security overseas is everyone’s responsibility.
  • Develop sound emergency exit procedures for your dorm and other public buildings. For student protection, outside doors may be locked overnight and first floor windows often have bars over them. There are building staff on duty both day and night who will unlock doors and help to evacuate people in case of an emergency. However, you must survey the situation in your own dorm area regularly and develop at least two workable exit routes.
  • Keep a card with your local contact information written in Chinese. This will help direct non-English speaking taxi drivers to the right location. It can also be useful to have other pertinent information translated to keep with you: places you plan to visit and information for local contacts, and emergency contact information.
  • Know who to call in an emergency. Have emergency contact information with you at all times.
  • Exercise good judgement.
  • Read all UCEAP health and safety documents and ask the Resident Director and staff for advice.
  • Be careful when taking public transportation.
Fire Safety

Fire - Dial 119

About 398,000 fires occurred in China between 2008 and 2010, resulting in 3,865 deaths and property losses of 5.21 billion yuan ($800 million). For fire safety and prevention information, read the Fire Safety section of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Fire protection standards in Chinese accommodation are not always the same as in the US. Check fire precautions including access to fire exits. Make sure that you can escape any location.
Follow these general fire safety tips. Most college-related fires in the U.S. are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the U.S. Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Advisory after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, UC security provider, U.S. Embassy, U.S. Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy evacuation on U.S. government-arranged flights, that require U.S. citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP and its security providers, is covered by UCEAP itravel nsurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
Travel Warnings and UCEAP Policy
Refer to the current travel advisories with the US Department of State and the UCEAP Student Travel Policy in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the U.S.

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.

If you are abroad

Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:
Ambulance: 120
Fire: 119
Police: 110
Fudan Campus Security: (86-21) 6564-2001
Jiao Tong Emergency Assistance: (86-21) 5474-9110 

U.S. Consulate in Shanghai

American Citizen Services
Westgate Mall, 1038 West Nanjing Road, 8th Floor
Phone: (86-21) 3217-4650
Fax: (86-21) 6217-2071
Regular hours: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday
After-hours emergencies: (86-21) 3217-4650, (86-10) 8531-4000
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.