Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
+ 10 hrs
University of Nicosia, Summer Physics
This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, health and safety, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines. Read the University of Nicosia Global Semesters Pre-Departure Guide for Study Abroad Programs

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Programs Specialist
Diane Lindsey
Phone: (805) 893-3246; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Andrea Nuernberger 
Phone: (805) 893-2810; E-mail:
Program Advisor​
Hannah Irvine
Phone: (805) 893-3246; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Karen Quintana
Phone: (805) 893-4812; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-3246; Fax: (805) 893-2583 

Liaison Office Abroad University of Nicosia Global Semesters (UNGS)

Vice President for Program Operations, Dr. Thanos Koulos

(Coordinates a global team of Program Coordinators in all locations where UNGS has programs).

Mobile: +357 99 604763



Program Coordinators

Coordinators are the primary contacts for emergency and disciplinary matters, course registration, orientation, and other day-to-day questions.


Laura Charalambidou, Enrollment Specialist and Program Coordinator

Mobile: +357 97 771929 (24/7 in case of emergency)



Andreas Latsias Program Coordinator

Mobile: +357 99 399890 (24/7 in case of emergency)



Theo Papalambrianou Program Coordinator

Mobile: +357 99 449325 (24/7 in case of emergency)



The University of Nicosia Global Semesters office hours:

9am to 6pm M-F

24/7 Emergency Hotline: +1-866-400-2417


University of Nicosia Global Semesters Office Contact Information

Phone: +357 22 464020

Fax: +1 703 935 0519 (NY)


U.S. Advising Office in New York

For pre-departure advising and support (before arriving in Cyprus)

228 Park Avenue

New York NY 10003


Phone: +1 212 321 0921 x1.



International code: 011 (dial this to call from the U.S.)

Cyprus country code: 357


Approximate Time Difference: Add 10 hours

Academic Information
Program Overview
On this program, you will complete two consecutive lower-division intensive physics courses. The physics sequence allows you to complete the equivalent of one year of physics for life sciences majors at the University of California.
Academic Culture
This program is designed for UCEAP students from across the UC system. You will not be in class with local or international students.
Instruction generally consists of lectures, class, workshops, and labs. All lectures, class, and workshops will be held on the main campus, while labs are held at the Research and Technology Building.
Class and lectures, which are often used to cover the groundwork in a subject, supplement workshops and labs. The lectures provide background material for the academic work that is assessed during workshops. Workshops are used to solve problem sets in a group environment. During labs you run experiments and test theories learned in lecture and class. ​You are also assigned homework and problem sets.
Classes are Monday through Thursday with four hours of workshops a week and six hours of labs a week. There is also tutoring available should you need it.
Course Information
Students must take both courses offered in this program. Physics at the University of Nicosia science summer program is divided into two, four-week sessions. You enroll in one course during each session, and each course is worth 6 quarter/4 semester UC units. Both physics courses are lower-division credit.
You are required to take a full-time course of study while abroad: 12 quarter/8 semester UC units.

P/NP Policy

You must take all courses for a letter grade. P/NP is not available on this program.


You will use the Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 10th Edition, by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker. This will be provided to you as an e-textbook when you arrive.


You may use a standard scientific calculator in your courses. You may not use a graphic or pre-programmable calculator.

Course Registration at UNIC

You will be automatically registered in the two sequential physics courses and will be assigned to lab sections.

UCEAP Registration: MyEAP Study List

The Academic Coordinator at the UCEAP Systemwide office will complete your MyEAP study list. You will receive an email notifying you when your Study List has been finalized. Check your final Study List carefully, as it determines how your courses will appear on your UC transcript. If you have concerns about meeting program requirements or other related questions, first consult the relevant sections of the Academic chapter of the UGSA, then contact your Academic Coordinator at the Systemwide Office if needed.​
There are several steps involved before the grades you receive at the University of Nicosia will be posted on your UC transcript. Grades must be submitted to, reviewed by, and signed at the UCEAP Systemwide Office, transmitted to your campus, and then processed at you UC registrar.
Seniors should especially consider these issues to make sure they do not require grades sooner than what may be possible. No individual expediting is possible until the end of the 90-day window, regardless of graduation or graduate school deadlines.
Because this is a new program, we do not yet know when grades will be available. If you complete the program with outstanding debts of any kind, either to the University of Nicosia or to UCEAP, your grades will not be sent to your UC registrar until you have paid all debts.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.​
Extending UCEAP Participation
​It is not possible to extend your fall participation. It is not possible to extend your Spring participation or Summer. You can however choose to do back to back programs.
Cultural Awareness
Educate yourself
​Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites such as the Rough Guide are excellent resources. You can keep up with current events in advance of your arrival by reading Cyprus​ newspapers online as well.
Holiday break
​There are no holiday breaks, although there are week-end trips.
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
Attendance at all orientation sessions is mandatory (per UCEAP Student Agreement). If you miss the orientations, you may be dismissed from UCEAP.
The summer official start date is June 23, 2018. Double check the program calendar dates on the Cyprus PDC.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.


​Booking flights

You will be responsible for booking your own flight to Cyprus and back. Book the flight in advance after you have received your acceptance letter. If you'd like to use a travel agent to assist with travel planning, Student Universe, Travel Time, and STA Travel have been used by students in the past.


Most major airlines have a connection to Cyprus. The most common connections are via London, but also exist from most other major cities in Europe as well.

Travel Documents
Additional information about passports, visas, and other required documents is provided in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and in the UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist.


You need a passport at the time you apply for the program. If you do not already have a passport, you must apply for one immediately, and you may need to expedite it. The regular process for a US Passport can take approximately four to eight weeks.
Passports must be valid at least three months beyond the end date of the program. If your passport will expire before that time, you will need to obtain a new one before you can apply for a student visa.
It is recommended that you scan your passport and e-mail a copy to yourself. This will speed up the replacement process if it is lost or stolen.
The way your name is spelled, abbreviated, punctuated, etc., on your passport must be exactly the same in MyEAP and on all other documents submitted with your visa application. Even minor discrepancies can cause big problems.


Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.


Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.



Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad
​You can withdraw Euros from ATMs in Cyprus using your debit card.  There are many ATMs (24 hr. everyday service) or a bank (closed weekends and weekdays after 2:00pm) very close to your apartments.


Communications Abroad
Internet Access
​There is internet on campus.
​Bring your unlocked phone and get a local sim card.
Mail & Shipments
Housing & Meals
​While you are studying in Cyprus, you will be living in fully furnished, fully-equipped shared apartments with kitchens, wi-fi, all linens and towels, heat and air conditioning, and kitchen appliances and utensils. The apartments are located right outside the main campus of the University of Nicosia. The most common configuration for the apartments is 2 bedrooms within an apartment, with each bedroom hosting 2 students.


Single bedrooms within a shared apartment are available on request, at an additional cost (US$350.00), and subject to availability. Please refer to the Housing section of the Semester in Cyprus webpage for more information on housing.

You may request to room with a specific person (same-sex only, please) by filling out the Housing Form on your Enrollment Checklist when you log in to your account after being admitted. We try to honor these requests, but please note they are not guaranteed. 

​Summer students will have a meal plan available (5 days/week, 3 meals/day). Information on places to eat on the week-end is available through your program coordinator.


Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
​Buses and taxis are the easiest way to travel around Nicosia and Cyprus. English is widely spoken so do not hesitate to ask for directions or assistance. Your Cyprus program coordinators can help you with any questions you have about transportation. 


Extracurricular Activities
​Wee​k-end excursions are planned during the Summer, Fall and Spring.
Students with Disabilities

University of Nicosia has many resources for students with disabilities:

Procedures for Students with Disabilities

Guidelines for Documenting a Learning Disability

Guidelines for Documenting a Physical Disability

For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the US), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad
LGBTIQ Students

​Antidiscrimination laws exist. However, despite legal protections and emerging LGBT community, LGBT individuals face significant societal discrimination.

​For more information,
UCEAP Insurance

The University of Nicosia Program Coordinators do not have information about the UCEAP Travel Insurance. Access the UCEAP website, Cyprus Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab for details about the UCEAP Travel Insurance policy.

Know Before You Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy. Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy is not the same as your campus or private insurance. Inform yourself before seeking care. Your UCEAP Travel Insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. You will be financially responsible for any charges for medical services that are not included benefits in the policy and for any charges over an above the “maximum allowable amount”. Your travel insurance policy number is ADD N04834823. It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
The travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis. There is no deductible or co-insurance. You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses. For more information about the medical claim process or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance. Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country). It is the patient's responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits, and Claims Status

Contact ACI at

Personal Property Insurance
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  Review the policy carefully before departure to determine if it is adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
There are no clinics on campus. If you need medical care, contact the University of Nicosia program coordinators who will help you make an appointment with a specialist or a General Practitioner.

There are two private hospitals five minutes away by taxi from the main campus, and many doctors see patients from their offices at the hospital as well.
For emergencies or urgent care, the hospitals have both ERs and urgent care/walk-in clinics if you want to see someone right away.
The Cyprus Ministry of Health maintains a list of medical facilities in Cyprus. Medical care may also be obtained at these locations:
Nicosia General Hospital
Nicosia - Limassol Old Road
2029 Strovolos 
Tel: +357 22 603000
Emergency Phone: (+357) 112; (+357) 199
20 Lefkotheou Avenue
2054 Strovolos
Intl tel: (+357) 22 469 000
Local tel: 22 469 000
Apollonion Private Hospital offers all medical specialties, advanced diagnostic services, ambulance services, and ER (ER available 24/7). English speaking staff is available.
Evangelistria Medical Center
1 Michael Georgalia Street and Prodromou Egkomi
1095 Nicosia
Intl tel: (+357) 22 603 000
Local tel: 22 603 000
In a true emergency, dial 112 (the equivalent of 911).
Physical Health

Know Before You Go

Inform yourself before you travel. Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care. Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications

If You Plan to Travel with Narcotics or Psychotopics:

You must submit a letter from your treating physician at least one month before your departure that describes the nature of your treatment, all medications and dosages, the quantities of the medications, and the name of the prescribing physician. Send this letter to the Department of Pharmaceutical Services:


Department of Pharmaceutical Services
Ministry of Health
1475 Nicosia
Tel: +357-22-407-110
Fax: +357-22-407-149

The Ministry of Health will send an authorization back to your treating physician in the US. Bring this letter with you to Cyprus in your carry-on (not in checked baggage).

Upon arrival in Cyprus, you will need to show the authorization letter to the Customs officials.

Refer to this price list for all medications available in Cyprus. The European Medicines Agency has a database that can be searched as well.


  • While on UCEAP you are covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.  Inform yourself, UCEAP travel insurance terms of coverage.
  • If you need a refill while abroad, you must see a local doctor. US prescriptions are not valid in other countries. You must travel with a letter from your prescribing physician explaining your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name. 

    Note:​ If the visit to the local doctor is considered preventive care, it will not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance; your campus or private insurance plan may cover it. 
  • If you need to find out if an appointment would be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance, contact ACI at For more information about the UCEAP travel insurance, refer to your UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, or your pre-departure checklist, Insurance tab.
  • Two classes of medicines – narcotics and psychotropics – are under the control of international law. This covers any medicine that can have an effect on the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the potential to be abused. The narcotic class mostly relates to analgesic opioids and their derivatives (e.g. morphine and codeine) which tend to be highly regulated. Psychotropics are all those medications likely to be used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychotic conditions.


  • If you plan to purchase medication using the UCEAP Travel Insurance coverage, you must fill and pay for medication when coverage is effective (14 days before the official start of the program). Do not assume that your local pharmacy knows about the UCEAP travel insurance policy. It is not the same as your campus health insurance coverage. You will need to pay for the medication and submit a claim to the UCEAP insurance.
  • Find out whether your medication is legal in your UCEAP country.
  • If traveling with a prescription containing controlled substances, check the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) website. The INCB is responsible for international drug control. If traveling with controlled substances, you must have a letter from your doctor. Generally, amphetamines (e.g., Adderall, Vyvanse) are illegal or unlicensed in other countries. Talk with your doctor to switch you to another medication.
  • Talk to your doctor to see whether he/she can prescribe an adequate supply of your prescription medication to last through the end of the program. Ask your doctor how to adjust your dosage depending on time zone changes.
  • Get a letter from the prescribing physician, on letterhead, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name as brand names vary considerably around the world.


  • Keep the medication in its original packaging clearly labelled with your name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage. Carry it in your carry-on luggage, provided it is in pill or solid form. For more information, particularly if your medication is a liquid, consult the US Transportation Security Administration, Traveling with Medications.
  • Carry copies of all original US prescriptions.
  • Carry the letter on letterhead from the prescribing physician for all prescribed medications, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic names. This is extremely important in case you need treatment or a medication refill abroad.

Why is a letter from your treating physician necessary? 

If your particular medication cannot be taken into the country, talk to your doctor.  If you need to switch prescriptions, your doctor may need to make changes to your medication at least 3-6 months before departure to monitor side effects and dosage.  The letter from your doctor indicating condition, treatment and medication regimen, can help a local physician to assess you and to consider reissuing your prescription provided it is licensed in your UCEAP country. Note that the local doctor's appointment for medication refill may not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.

Consult with ACI about the UCEAP travel insurance coverage for prescriptions, Read more in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health section.​​​​

Mental Health


If you are currently in treatment in the US, discuss all program details with your doctor so you can work on a plan in case you need to reach out for care. Carry a letter from your doctor (on letterhead) indicating condition, treatment history, and medication regimen, so a local physician can assess your needs.

Consider the country where you will be living and studying. Many countries do not have adequate resources. How will you manage your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a pre-existing condition? 

If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician before departure about getting the supply you need for the length of your stay. Traveling through customs with medications for personal use can be problematic in countries where those medications are prohibited. Stimulants frequently used for attention deficit disorders, such as amphetamine or methylphenidate, may be problematic, along with narcotics. What substances are prohibited in any given country varies. For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.​

Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.


  • Do not try to manage alone. Reach out to local staff.
  • The UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at
Health Risks
Food Allergies
Students with severe food allergies should take precautions:
  • Talk with your doctor six to eight weeks before departure to discuss a treatment plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need, like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills, to prevent an adverse reaction. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, and show your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions in English/local language for assistance.
  • Tell others about your food allergy.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Air Quality
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk

Safety is our concern but it is your responsibility. Be proactive in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. Have an action plan.

With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing personal risks. Observe and assess the risks, plan ahead to reduce them, and think how you would lessen the consequences if things go wrong. Start by outlining activities you plan to engage in through your program and/or during independent travel; label the risk and rate it based on the likelihood of harm and the severity of consequences. Consider measures you can take to reduce the severity and chance. Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.


Be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate and unpredictable terrorist attacks, which make it impossible to protect yourself from. Remain vigilant in all public areas in your UCEAP city and country and wherever you travel. Many terrorist groups, seeking publicity for political causes within their own country or region, are not looking for student or higher education targets.
Terrorist attacks using vehicles are very hard to prevent and appear to be on the rise. If you are in a crowded public place, know how you can exit quickly, identify barriers or safe places where you can shelter-in-place, and watch out for any vehicles that appear to be going at very high speed.

Report anything suspicious to local authorities.  Read all security-related correspondence and advice from local staff.  Schedule direct flights, if possible.  Avoid stops in high-risk airports or areas. Minimize time spent in the public area of an airport, which is a less protected area.  Keep a mental note of safe havens, such as police stations, hotels, and hospitals. Have a plan for what you will do in the case of an emergency.  If you are ever caught in a situation where somebody starts shooting, follow the active shooter guidelines: drop to the floor, get down as low as possible, and hide if possible.  Cover yourself behind a solid object. Silence your phone. Do not move until the danger has passed.

Steps to manage or minimize risk and enhance your personal safety

  • Familiarize yourself with all UCEAP resources and emergency support services while on UCEAP.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter before you travel.
  • Assess your surroundings. Observe and learn to recognize danger.
  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Assess reasonable and safe options. Trust your feelings; if you feel threatened, act if safe to do so and leave the area immediately. Find somewhere more secure.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones.
  • When entering larger venues, always decide on a meeting place with those you are with in case you get separated. Always identify possible exits.
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking. Know your limits. In many countries beer, wine and liquor in some countries contains a higher alcohol content than similar products in the US. Know what you are drinking and how much alcohol it contains.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety. This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other. Choose your buddy wisely. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call locally if you are in an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?

Registration with the local US Embassy or Consulate

Register online with the US embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service for US citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.

Registration with the UCEAP Security Provider

You will be automatically registered with iJET International, the University of California security provider. You will receive important security and informational messages about local conditions for your program country.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and has contracted with emergency assistance and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, for more information. Access the US Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.
Crime & Prevention

Cyprus is generally safe; violent crime occurrence is low. You may encounter petty theft ​in urban and tourist areas.

It is illegal to take photographs of military installations or anything that could be perceived as being of a security interest. Pay attention to areas market with "no photography" signs. Police strictly enforce these policies.

You are subject to the local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Possession of a US passport will not prevent you from being detained, prosecuted, or imprisoned.

Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety

UN Buffer Zone

Cyprus is divided into northern and southern parts by the United Nations buffer zone (also called Green Line), with the Republic of Cyprus controlling the southern area, and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus ("TRNC", only recognized by Turkey) in control of the north. It is illegal to cross into the buffer zone from anywhere outside of designated points of entry. Do not fly into any northern ports, as your entry will be determined illegal by the Republic of Cyprus.

Road Safety

Driving is on the left. Many drivers do not follow traffic regulations and drive aggressively. Pedestrian right-of-way is often ignored. Be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times.

Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment

University of California Policy

Every member of the UCEAP community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual violence and sexual harassment, retaliation, and other prohibited behavior (“Prohibited Conduct”) that violates law and/o​r University policy. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of Prohibited Conduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct, and when necessary, to discipline behavior that violates this Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Report to the local partners and/or UCEAP staff if you suspect one of these behaviors has occurred.

University of Nicosia

Sexual Harassment Policy


​Cyprus is located in an active area for earthquakes. Minor tremors occur with frequency. Know what do to should an earthquake occur.

Refer tp University of Nicosia's procedures in the event of an earthquake: Student Handbook, Other Incidents section.

Fire Safety
Most college-related fires in the US are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.

Also refer to University of Nicosia's Fire Safety information.

UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the US Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Advisory after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, UC security providers, US Embassy, US Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy evacuation on US government-arranged flights, that require US citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP and its experienced security providers, is covered by UCEAP insurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

 University of Nicosia's Emergency Information and Procedures and 24/7 Hotline Emergency Information.​

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the US

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.

If you are abroad

Carry the University of Nicosia 24/7 emergency contact information at all times.
For emergency assistance:
  • 112 for medical, fire or police

US Embassy Location and Contact Information

Metochoiu & Ploutachou Streets
2407 Engomi, Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel: +357-22-39-39 39 (Consular section, for passports or other American Citizens Services: between 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.; US Embassy: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., except for US and Cypriot holidays)
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.