Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
March–Add 9 hours
Denmark: Summer, Fall, Spring & Year

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.

Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Contact Information

Program Advisor
Willaine Cabal
Phone: (805) 893-4430; E-mail:
Operations Specialist
Kitty Christen
Phone: (805) 893-4430; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Lauren Nestler
Phone: (805) 893-4683; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Antonette Escarsega
Phone: (805) 893-4023; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Predeparture Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP Denmark page.

Study Center Abroad

The UCEAP Study Center provides a variety of student support services including advising on University of Copenhagen academic matters, cultural activities, and health and safety guidelines.
University of California Study Center at University of Copenhagen
University Education Service
Fiolstræde 1
1171 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Phone (calling from the U.S.): (011 45) 35 32 39 09
Phone (calling from Denmark): 35 32 39 09
Fax: +45 35 32 39 00

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code ............ 011
(dial this to call from the U.S.)
Denmark country code ............45

Approximate Time Difference

Add 9 hours
Academic Information
Program Overview

University of Copenhagen Application

You will apply online to University of Copenhagen. You will be notified via e-mail when you are able to access and begin this application. The application for admission also includes applications for language programs, housing, and a mentor.
Selection by the University of California to participate in the UCEAP program does not guarantee admission to the University of Copenhagen. University of Copenhagen has the right to deny admission if your application is incomplete, inaccurate, or does not meet academic requirements. Therefore, it is important to take the time to carefully fill out the application and submit the requested documentation. You will also need to upload several documents, including your transcripts (these do not have to be official, but must have your name printed on them).

Intensive Language Program (ILP)

All students must take the intensive three-week pre-semester introductory Danish language course, which constitutes the intensive language program (ILP). This mandatory course begins in August for the fall and year programs and in January for the spring program. It provides language skills useful in daily life and prepares you for general conversation during the term. The course is worth 4.0 UC quarter units (2.7 semester units) and may be taken for a letter grade or P/NP. 
The program consists of an intensive language instruction course taking place every morning, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 -12:30 and a number of cultural and social activities in the afternoons. In the language instruction part of the program, Danish is studied and taught as a second language in the context of the university and the surrounding city of Copenhagen. For more information see the University of Copenhagen Pre-Semester Danish Language Course Information.

Academic Program

You will take regular University of Copenhagen courses. Courses in English are offered through UCPH’s six faculties. Every semester, the University of Copenhagen offers a range of interdisciplinary courses for international students such as Vikings in Europe, Danish Culture, Danish Cinema, Danish Architecture and Urban Planning, and Nordic Mythology. UCEAP returnees have reported that it was rewarding to take a course of study that provides a uniquely Danish perspective in areas such as international relations and social policy.



You will receive 7,5 ECTS credits for your ILP course. During the semester you will enroll in 22.5-30 ECTS credits (18-24 UC quarter units or 12-16 UC semester units). The ILP units are not included in your semester unit requirements.
You cannot enroll in more than 30 ECTS credits per semester. This is a regulation of the University of Copenhagen and they will not allow you to go over the 30 ECTS credit cap.
The ECTS credit for a course depends on the content and total workload of a course. Most courses are 5, 7.5, 10, or 15 ECTS credits. It is not uncommon to have only two courses if the courses are 15 ECTS each. Full-time study is calculated by ECTS per semester, not by the number of courses.   
Academic Culture
Study at the University of Copenhagen (UCPH) is organized into three levels. Three years of undergraduate studies lead to a bachelor’s degree. An additional two years leads to a Candidatus degree (master’s degree). All Candidatus degrees obtained from UCPH can be extended with three more years of postgraduate work leading to a PhD. The structures of the theological, medical, and dentistry degrees differ from this model. University admission in Denmark is highly competitive, especially within certain programs. Students are usually focused and serious about their studies.
When students enroll for a bachelor’s degree at the University of Copenhagen, they enroll in a specific departmental program or faculty. Except at the Faculty of Humanities, students take all courses within their departmental program. Humanities students take a minimum of two of their three years within their program. Therefore, Danish students specialize earlier in their studies than is typical for the UC system. The majority of students go directly from their bachelor program into the Candidatus program. 
Some students at the University of Copenhagen enroll directly following gymnasium (high school), but many have a “gap” year during which they work and travel before beginning their studies at the university.
Many courses are taught in English, and since most UCEAP students take all their courses in English, the greatest academic challenge UCEAP students face is learning self-discipline. Particularly in the Social Sciences and Humanities, there are few or no assignments during the semester and few hours in class per week. This has led some UCEAP students to underestimate the amount of independent work expected and needed to be prepared for classes and do well on projects and papers. The final exam is often a major individual paper or project which requires a large amount of work. If you are highly self-motivated, you will do well in the Danish university system.  

Course Structure

The academic year is divided into two semesters: fall and spring. Each semester consists of two blocks. Block 1+2 are fall semester and block 3+4 are spring semester.
Most courses in the Humanities and Social Sciences are taught as semester-long courses. Most courses in the Faculty of Science Sciences and Natural Sciences are taught as block courses and are therefore shorter and more intense in their structure. These courses may include extensive lab work.  
Class size varies from 10 to 100 students, depending on the course. Classes can be lectures, seminars, or workshops. Expectations regarding class participation vary depending on the class size and type. For most classes, attendance is not monitored. At UCPH, you are expected to be motivated and well prepared; if you are not, the penalty is reflected in the final grade.
Workload differs from class to class. Classes often include extensive reading lists with a focus on primary texts. Many courses include assignments during the semester that are not usually graded, but are an important part of the learning process and preparation for the final exams.
Most work done at the university is independent, but study groups will often emerge. Being part of a study group can be immensely helpful in preparing for final exams.
Not all of the required reading will be discussed in class. Final exam questions may include areas not covered in class. It is therefore not enough just to attend classes. Individual study and self-motivation are the keys to success at the University of Copenhagen.

Libraries & Textbooks

Library service at UCPH can be divided into three parts: 1) department libraries, 2) faculty (school) libraries, and 3) the Royal Library. Each department has its own reference library. Once enrolled in the department, you can usually borrow books from the department library. Each faculty also has a library with an extensive lending service. Located in the center of the city, the research-oriented Royal Library serves as the National Library of Denmark. The libraries have regular hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), but they do not provide as many places to sit and study as the UC libraries. In order to check out books at the Royal Library, you complete a loan form (manually or via computer) and then retrieve the books the following day.
You can find many course-related books at the library, but you will probably have to purchase some books. There is no organized system for the buying and selling of used books at the university. Students usually put up ads to buy or sell in their departments or purchase their books through one of the many bookstores in Copenhagen.


The amount and style of interaction between instructors and students differs from teacher to teacher and department to department. All instructors have office hours when they are available for consultation. However, help for writing papers and preparing for exams is limited. Instructors will assist with the academic and theoretical aspects of writing papers, but not with the technical aspects. The university offers an academic writing course to help you with the preparation of papers, and there are online writing guides available through the Faculty of Humanities. Since most departments do not have a tutorial system, you are strongly advised to take the writing course.
Each department has student peer advisors available to assist in the transition to the university. The peer advisors can help with advice on how to develop good study habits, what to expect of exams, etc.
Course Information
Most departments at the University of Copenhagen plan the curriculum for the coming semester just before the end of the previous semester. Therefore, the full list of courses offered in English will not be available until a few weeks before the semester starts. Look at the courses offered in current or previous semesters in order to make a preliminary plan for your studies in Copenhagen. Check the University of Copenhagen website for courses offered in English.
University of Copenhagen does not use cross listings in the course catalogue. It is therefore worth the while to take a broad look at the course catalogue. For example, history courses can be offered by the Department of History but other departments such as Asian Studies and East European Studies may also have history-related courses that you will not find when looking at the Department of History course listings. The Study Center is available for advice on course selection.
Most undergraduate courses are available without specific prerequisites. (There are some restrictions for students wishing to take courses outside their home faculty.) However, be aware that Danish students generally begin their university studies at a more specialized level than UC students and some background in the subjects is assumed. With the exception of Danish language courses, nearly all coursework is at the upper-division and graduate level. Most courses require extensive independent reading and research papers, in addition to final exams, which are likely to concentrate on material covered in the reading, rather than the lectures. If you have questions about a specific course, contact the UCEAP Systemwide office to inquire further.
Some courses are available at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Such courses are clearly marked in the catalogs and course listings. In general, graduate-level courses should be taken only within your major and only if you are advanced in that field or are a graduate student. If you wish to take graduate-level courses, you must consult the instructor and the UC Study Center prior to enrolling.

Registering for Courses

There is no standard registration process for selecting courses. Some departments require students to preregister for courses, while others require students to register in class on the first day of classes. Deadlines and methods for signing up for classes will vary depending on the department of each course you will be registering for. In general, courses in the Faculty of Science have early sign-up deadlines, while the Humanities are later, and at some departments you will not sign up at all prior to the beginning of the semester. Departments will write to your University of Copenhagen e-mail account about signing up for courses if there are deadlines prior to your arrival. It is therefore very important that you check your University of Copenhagen e-mail account for such messages.
You should have several alternative courses in mind (already reviewed by your home campus department) in case your first choices in Denmark are canceled or you cannot get into them. You should prepare yourself for your courses in Denmark by taking relevant or prerequisite courses during the UC spring term prior to departure. The UCEAP Study Center at the University of Copenhagen is open year round and can answer questions and provide information about courses, departments, the University of Copenhagen, and Denmark.
Consult with your UC department to plan your academic program before departure. You should also stay in contact with your department advisors while you are abroad in case there are changes to your academic program or questions regarding the transfer of courses to your major or general education requirements.
Once a course starts, you will be presented with a time plan and a syllabus. Remember to register for your courses with both the specific University of Copenhagen department and on your MyEAP Study List. The MyEAP Study List is your official registration with the University of California. Any changes made to the academic program must be made with both institutions. The UCEAP Study Center staff in the Copenhagen office will assist you in choosing courses that fit your academic goals.

Early Exit Exams

In most cases, fall-only students may make special arrangements to complete exams by late December. Exam dates vary between faculties and departments. Because Block 2 courses do not end until late January, you need to speak to your instructor at the beginning of the course to ensure that an early exit exam can be facilitated. Fall students in the Faculty of Science should pay particular attention to arranging early exams for Block 2 courses.  It is not always possible to arrange early exams for these courses as departing by the end of December means not only needing an early exam but missing out on several weeks of a course. It is important to address this issue at the very beginning of the semester. The Study Center is available for advice.
At the University of Copenhagen, assessment is usually done through one final exam. As noted earlier, assignments may be given during the course, but these are rarely graded. The final exam may be oral, written, or may require a written paper. In some cases, you may be allowed to choose the type of examination you prefer. The instructor and an independent examiner called a “censor” do the grading. Grading is not done on a curve.
Some Danish courses are only offered as pass/no pass; this should be indicated on the MyEAP Registration Study List. Any other requests to be graded on a pass/no pass basis must be noted on the MyEAP Study List and all changes must be petitioned through the UCEAP Study Center. No more than one-third of the UC quarter units in any given term may be taken as pass/no pass. 
Grades for the fall semester are typically available by mid-March and grades for the spring semester are typically available by early September.
For information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.​

Retaking Exams

Although UCPH may permit the retaking of final exams, UCEAP students are not permitted to retake exams unless there are extenuating circumstances. You may retake an exam only after you have consulted with the course coordinator, the Study Center Coordinator, and a Contract for “I” (Incomplete) Grade has been completed and approved, signed, and submitted to the Systemwide Office. You are not permitted to make special arrangements directly with your instructor without completing a Contract for “I” Grade approved by the Study Center Director.

​As the city of Copenhagen hosts many different institutions and organizations, there are many opportunities for organizing an internship for advanced undergraduate and graduate students.
In order to be considered for an internship:

  • Contact your home campus Career Center to learn how to write a motivated letter and a curriculum vitae (CV). The Career Center can also help you define your goals for your internship abroad. It is useful to do this well in advance of leaving for Denmark. 
  • Identify organizations or companies of interest to you. Familiarize yourself with the entity as much as possible. What do they do? Which departments within the organization are you interested in? etc. 
  • Find out if the entity has an internship program or perhaps take interns on an ad hoc basis. Inquire about how and when to apply. 
  • Send a thorough motivated application and include a CV directly to the organization of your interest as early as possible. 
  • Internships are competitive. Apply to more than one business or organization to optimize your chances for a successful outcome. 
  • Be sure to let the organization or business know that you will be a student at University of Copenhagen while in Denmark. You will not need their help in getting a residence permit. 
  • If offered an internship, make sure to have an agreement on when to start; what kind of project you will be doing; how, by whom, and when it will be evaluated; and the approximate number of hours of work expected of you. Keep in mind that you will not be able to do a full time internship as you will have to enroll in coursework as well.

University of Copenhagen has an online Job Bank. This job agent holds information on available positions with the university, organizations, and private businesses. Vacancies are on all levels and include internship postings for students. At the Job Bank you may find the internship you want, or it may offer inspiration for places you can contact and inquire about internship opportunities.
Institutions such as the UNICEF Supply Division and WHO Regional Office for Europe accept applications from students for internships. The International Secretariat of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCEPA) may also accept internship applications. It is also possible to apply for an internship at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. Some private companies also offer internships.

Extending UCEAP Participation
UCEAP encourages fall students to extend participation to the academic year. The best way to plan for an extension is to submit a Departmental Preliminary Approval to Extend form (DPA) prior to departure. The DPA does not oblige you to extend, but will expedite the process if you do decide to extend once you are in Denmark.
You must contact the UC Study Center to initiate the extension process. Approval of an extension is based on a number of factors, including academic performance, the support of your home campus department, available space at the host university, and a personal interview at the UC Study Center. Requests to extend enrollment also require approval of the University of Copenhagen and the Danish immigration authorities. The UC Study Center in Copenhagen can assist you with this process. The granting of a DPA does not automatically guarantee an extension.
To extend to a fall or year program, you must submit one of the following:
  • A Request for Final Approval (RFA) form (if you submitted a DPA form prior to departure)
  • A Petition to Extend form (if you did not submit a DPA)
November 1: Deadline to submit extension forms for the fall program to year.
The deadline for extending may be earlier with the University of Copenhagen. The University of Copenhagen does not guarantee housing if you extend after the deadline of applying for admission.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your UC campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus EAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take with regard to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites such as Lonely Planet and Urban Lowdown are excellent resources.
Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers (Politiken or The Copenhagen Post, for example), magazines, and journals such as Wonderful Copenhagen.
You will also need to understand the local culture and history. These sources should help you prepare before departure.

Recommended Reading

Acquire a good travel guide to Denmark and study it before you go abroad. Some recommendations are Denmark (Lonely Planet Country Guide) by Andrew Stone, et al; and The Rough Guide to Denmark and The Rough Guide to Copenhagen (Rough Guide Travel Guides) by Mouritsen et al.

Prominent Danish Authors

Writings by Johannes V. Jensen (notably The Fall of the King) and Karen Blixen (Out of Africa and Seven Gothic Tales) are recommended. In addition, Hans Christian Andersen’s Tales Told for Children (1835) and his autobiographical The Fairy Tale of My Life are recommended, as well as Peter Høeg’s novel, Smilla’s Sense of Snow. Writings by Benny Andersen, Jens Christian Grøndahl, Ib Michael, Martin Andersen Nexø, Klaus Rifbjerg, and Søren Ulrik Thomsen also come highly recommended.  

Recommended Viewing

Among the movies with Danish themes are Babette’s Feast and the highly acclaimed Pelle the Conqueror, both of which won Oscars for best foreign language film of the year in 1987 and 1988, respectively. The Dogme 95 movies such as The Celebration by Thomas Vinterberg (1998) and Mifune’s Last Song by Søren Kragh-Jacobsen (1999) started a new era of Danish cinema. In addition, movies by Lars von Trier such as Breaking the Waves (1996), Dancer in the Dark (2000), Dogville (2003) Manderlay (2005) and Melancholia (2011) represent strong examples of Danish filmmaking. In 2011, director Susanne Bier was awarded an Oscar for best foreign film with her movie In a Better World.
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
You will have two mandatory orientation meetings at the very beginning of your program, both of which you are required attend. One is held by the UCEAP Study Center exclusively for UCEAP students. The other is held by University of Copenhagen’s International Office and is for all international students. The two orientation meetings supplement each other with important information you need to know.
The orientations provide insight into the academic environment of the University of Copenhagen and explain course credit, study lists, grades, and other academic matters. Advice will be given on coping in a new culture and on such issues as health, local transportation, opening a bank account, acquiring a phone, residence permits, and registering with the Danish authorities.
Detailed information regarding the arrival meeting point and orientation will be sent via e-mail prior to your arrival.
You are subject to dismissal from UCEAP if you do not attend the mandatory orientations (per the UCEAP Student Agreement).
After the pre-semester Danish language course and before the beginning of the semester courses many departments have welcome meetings for international students. At these meetings, courses are introduced and important information about the department, exam registration, etc. is covered. It is important that you also attend these meetings. Do not make travel arrangements in between the pre-semester ILP course and the start of the semester until you know exactly when the departmental orientations will be held.
Travel Planning

Student Mentors 

When completing the University of Copenhagen online application, it is important to indicate that you would like to have a mentor. A mentor is a Danish student who volunteers to help international students during their first few days in Copenhagen. The University of Copenhagen’s International Office will do its best to find a mentor for you and will give you the mentor’s e-mail address.
In some cases, but not all, your mentor may be able to meet you upon arrival. You must communicate directly with your mentor well in advance if you want the mentor to meet you at the airport (or bus/train station) and help you get to your accommodations. Be specific about your arrival date and time. The mentor can also pick up the key for your dorm and bring it to you at your meeting point. The mentor must have specific instructions directly from you.
If you opt not to have a mentor, or if your mentor is unable to meet you upon arrival, you will have to make your own way to your accommodations. If you are staying in a dorm, you may have to go to the International Office during office hours to pick up your key. 
The mentor will be able to advise you on everyday practical matters, such as how to use the public transportation in your area, where to do your shopping, and where to go for entertainment in Copenhagen. During the first week of your stay in Copenhagen, the mentor will assist you in registering with the Danish authorities and will introduce you to the university.
We highly recommend that you sign up for a mentor, not only for practical reasons but because mentors can be an excellent first step to becoming integrated at the university and in your new neighborhood. There is nothing to lose and potentially a lot to be gained from participating.
For more information see Mentor Programme on the UCPH website.  
Note that mentors are students from University of Copenhagen who volunteer to help incoming international students. As it is on a voluntary basis, the University of Copenhagen does not guarantee mentors will be available for everyone.
Travel to Your Host Country
Standby tickets are not appropriate for UCEAP students.
You are responsible for making and paying for your own travel arrangements, even if you are on financial aid. The Financial Aid Office is not responsible for purchasing tickets. You are strongly urged to purchase changeable airline tickets and confirm your flight schedule prior to departure.
If the start date of your program is changed due to unforeseen circumstances, you are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any transportation charges incurred for independent travel arrangements.
In order to be kept informed of any program changes, notify UCEAP of any changes in your address, phone number, or e-mail address by updating MyEAP.
Individual final exam schedules cannot be determined before reaching Denmark; students purchasing round-trip airline tickets should be careful to select a ticket that allows the possibility of changing the return flight date at a minimal charge.
You may be met by a student mentor upon arrival if you request one in advance. See the Request a Mentor section below. You must provide the mentor with accurate arrival information. It is highly recommended that you request a mentor.
Please note that UCEAP strongly discourages students from “couch surfing” when traveling. This is defined as using an online social network to organize free places to stay.
Travel Documents
Information about passports, visas, and other documents that are required for participation in this program is provided in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and in the UCEAP online Predeparture Checklist.

Residence Permit

You should obtain approval for a residence permit card before you arrive in Denmark. 
To apply for a residence permit, you must first be accepted by the department(s) at University of Copenhagen (UCPH). It is therefore very important to apply for admission to UCPH as soon as possible after receiving the e-mail notification from them. Upon acceptance by UCPH, you will receive an e-mail with documents and instructions that you will need in order to apply for a residence permit. This will include the actual residence permit application with one section completed by UCPH. This section must be included when you apply for the permit!
Your UCEAP online Predeparture Checklist will have very detailed information for obtaining the residence permit. Before applying for it, you are required to send a payment directly to the Danish Immigration Service. Important: When making this payment make sure to include extra money for bank fees that will be deducted from the total amount of your payment. Ask your bank how much the extra fees will be. You will then submit the completed application, along with your passport, supporting documents, and a money order for the application fee (payable to the Danish Consulate), to the Danish Consulate in New Yorktwo to three months prior to departure.
It is essential to follow directions and meet all deadlines for documents associated with the residence permit application. Failure to do so may jeopardize your UCEAP participation.
If you are a fall student and you choose to extend for another term, you must reapply for a new residence permit. The reapplication is done through the Copenhagen-based consular office before the first permit expires. The UC Study Center will provide details on how to get the new residence permit.

Non-U.S. Citizens
There may be additional requirements for non-U.S. citizens, depending on country of citizenship. If you are a non-U.S. citizen, contact the Danish consulate directly to determine applicable regulations for your citizenship.

Registration with Danish Authorities

Upon arrival in Denmark, you will register with Danish authorities. The two most important registrations are with the Civil Registration Office (Folkeregisteret or Borgerservice), where you will get a CPR number, sign up for the National Health Service, be assigned a general practitioner (GP), and receive an identity card or social security card; and with the University of Copenhagen, where you will receive a student ID card. To register with the Civil Registration Office you will need to take your completed registration form, passport (and a photocopy of it), residence permit card, acceptance letter from the University of Copenhagen, and your housing contract for proof of your address in Denmark.
Packing Tips
Identify each item of luggage on the inside and outside with your name, home address, and destination abroad.
Only take what you can carry by yourself. Be sure to check with your airline for specific luggage size and weight restrictions. Most carriers charge exorbitant fees for excess weight
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for the purchase of clothing abroad.


  • Sturdy, waterproof shoes or boots for the fall and winter
  • Scarves, hats, and gloves
  • Warm coat for the winter
  • Clothing that can be layered
  • Prescription medication (see the Staying Healthy chapter in this guide for details on taking prescription medication abroad)
  • Registration documents (UCPH acceptance letter, residence permit approval, etc.)


  • Voltage converter and plug adapter (see the Electric Current section in this chapter)
  • Thermal underwear
  • Wool socks
  • Raincoat with a hood (it’s often too windy for umbrellas)
  • One dressy outfit for formal occasions
  • Sports attire
  • Small backpack for excursions
  • Sleeping bag for weekend trips


It is important to check on the legality and availability of any prescription medications that you need while abroad. Some medications may be legal in the U.S. but may not yet have been approved in Denmark. It is illegal to ship medications to Denmark. Plan to take enough to last throughout your term or make a plan to get a prescription in Denmark (see the Staying Healthy chapter in this guide for details).


The casual attire typically worn at UC is acceptable in Copenhagen; however, you will need heavy clothing in colder weather.
Clothing is generally more expensive in Denmark than in California. Secondhand shops are good sources for clothing, but not footwear. Wool sweaters and lined rubber boots are available at affordable prices in Denmark.

Electric Current

The voltage in Europe is 220–240 rather than the standard 110 volts in the U.S. Plugs and outlets differ from those in the U.S. Bring a voltage converter and plug adapter if you take small electrical appliances from the U.S. such as hair dryers, travel irons, and electric shavers. Make sure that your laptop can run on 220-240 volts.
Due to the high cost of electricity abroad, and since improper use of appliances may damage electrical outlets and the appliances themselves, it is a good policy to ask before using outlets.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Neither Denmark nor Sweden uses the euro, though they are both members of the European Union. Their national currencies remain in use, and they continue to be different in value from each other. Be sure to note the difference between the Danish krone (DKK) and the Swedish krona (SEK).
When writing numbers, commas and periods are reversed in Europe. For example, 1,00 is what Europeans would consider 1.00 and 1.000 is what Americans would consider 1,000.
You should take at least $150 and approximately 1.000 DKK in cash to Denmark for travel and initial expenses. 


Consider opening a bank account in Denmark to facilitate banking transactions needed for the duration of your stay. You can also deposit money into this account for safety and easy access if making large ATM withdrawals from your American bank.
Many large U.S. banks maintain affiliate relations with Danish banks. For easier money transfers, find out if your American bank is affiliated with a Danish bank in Copenhagen and what services are available. UCEAP students have often established accounts at Den Danske Bank or Nordea. Banks may require up to one month for checks to clear and funds to be released.
Banks in Denmark are generally open on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with extended hours on Thursdays to 6 p.m. Banks at the Copenhagen Airport keep longer hours. Most banks have 24-hour ATMs that accept Visa and MasterCard. As you would at home, be aware of the obvious risk of using an ATM at night. Forex, which has a location close to the Study Center, exchanges cash for a reasonable fee.
To open a bank account you will need your passport, the Danish CPR number (the Danish equivalent of a Social Security number), and your University of Copenhagen admissions letter. A local bank ATM card can be issued for accessing your account. Checks are not widely used in Denmark, and it is therefore not recommended to get a checkbook. There are no fees for opening or having an account, but fees should be expected for various services from the bank. The UC Study Center suggests that you maintain a balance of at least $500 in the account at all times.

Transferring Money via ATM

The best way to have money transferred is through an ATM. In Denmark, using an ATM is possible with a valid international debit card or an ATM card. Confirm with your bank that you can use your ATM card to access funds in Copenhagen. Be sure to obtain a personal identification number (PIN) with four digits, because this is required by European ATMs.
While abroad, you can use your ATM card and PIN to withdraw money from your U.S. account. Contact your bank prior to leaving the U.S. to confirm the maximum amount you can withdraw per day and what fees will be charged. Notify your bank that you are going abroad; otherwise, there is a risk they will flag transactions as unusual activity and cut off access to your account.

Travelers Checks

Travelers checks are widely accepted in Denmark, but they are usually expensive to cash. Banks charge a fee per check and require you to exchange a minimum of 200 DKK. While not practical for everyday use, travelers checks can be used as an emergency reserve.

Credit Cards

Visa, MasterCard, and American Express cards are widely accepted in hotels, restaurants, and shops in Denmark and in Europe. In some cases, banks will give cash advances on credit cards, although there is usually a high fee for this service. You must have a 4-digit PIN code for your credit card to withdraw cash. You are urged to have at least one credit card and to bring travelers checks for emergencies. Inform your credit card company that you will be using your card abroad so they do not freeze your account.
Communications Abroad
Internet Access


The International Office at the University of Copenhagen sets up a free e-mail account for you at the time of your admission. Important messages from the university, such as information on housing offers and how to register for exams, are often distributed through these e-mail accounts, so it is imperative that you check your university e-mail regularly. UCPH will only use the university e-mail account. You are responsible for responding to e-mails in this account from the time of admission and onward. It may also be convenient to have a web-based e-mail account, such as Gmail, which you can access at any time and anywhere for your general needs.

Computer Access & Use

You are encouraged to take a laptop if you have one. Although computer facilities are available at University of Copenhagen, a laptop will be very useful for your academic work. Also, pack a converter and an adapter for the power source if it is needed. Internet access will vary depending on your housing situation. Some dormitories provide free LAN Internet access.
The UCEAP insurance provides a personal property benefit, which includes coverage for laptop theft; however, it is your responsibility to review the details of this coverage and make sure it is enough to cover your laptop. Information is available in the UCEAP Insurance Plan.You may determine that you need additional insurance.
Each University of Copenhagen faculty (school) has a computer center (usually PCs). In addition, some departments provide computer facilities. These facilities normally are open only from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and are often closed on the weekend. In some schools it may be possible to gain longer access.
There are also some computers available at The International Office for checking e-mails and other minor tasks.
Phone access varies depending on the type of housing you have. Many students acquire cell phones, although it should be emphasized that these can be expensive, especially when used to call abroad. Costs can be substantially reduced with the use of prepaid phone cards, available at the post office and in shops. Past students also advise that students purchase the same cell phone plan as their friends—calls are much cheaper when made within the same plan.
Currently the most popular means of communication is through the Internet, and Skype is one of the primary providers. Skype options include computer-­to-computer calls (free) and computer-to-phone calls (minimal cost). Visit the Skype website for more information. Google Voice, another option for Internet calls, also offers competitive rates. You are advised to buy a headset in the U.S., where electronics generally cost less.
Mail & Shipments
Until you know your address abroad, you may have letters sent to you at the UCEAP Study Center:
[Student’s name]
University of California Study Center at University of Copenhagen
University Education Service/The International Office
Fiolstraede 1
PO Box 1143
DK-1171 København K
Do not send packages or luggage to the Study Center.


Pack lightly and avoid shipping additional items to Denmark. However, if you do ship anything, packages should be sent by regular mail after you have arrived in Copenhagen. Do not declare a high value; additionally, you should write “Used Goods, for use while studying abroad” on the package. This might help with customs charges, but there are no guarantees. Past students who shipped belongings were surprised to find that the inexpensive rate originally quoted for shipping did not include fees assessed in Denmark for customs, handling, and forwarding.
Take a good look at what you plan to ship and decide if the items are necessary and worth the effort and expense. Shipping computers, laptops, or cameras (especially if new) is not recommended. It may be less expensive to pay the excess baggage fee with the airline than to ship goods abroad and pay customs duty upon arrival.
Housing & Meals
Most UCEAP students will live in dorms or shared apartments with other international students.
Housing arrangements are made by the International Office at the University of Copenhagen. They will send you a housing contract via the University of Copenhagen e-mail account assigned to you at the time you are admitted to the university. Read the contract and respond immediately. University of Copenhagen will use only your assigned University of Copenhagen e-mail account. Be sure to check it regularly!
Students studying in the Faculty of Science will apply for housing through the Faculty of Science. You will submit a different application for this. Please see the details on the UCPH website
The University of Copenhagen is not a campus-style university in the UC sense. The university does not own dormitories but has reserved a number of rooms for international students in independent dorms. At some dorms the International Office has more than 100 rooms at their disposal for international students; in others it has as few as 3–5 rooms. You may indicate in your online housing application any preferences you may have, but note that in dorms with few rooms the International Office may not be able to place you.
The many different dorms vary in all aspects; they are located throughout the city, some are new and modern, and others are older with well-established student networks and traditions. The room sizes and facilities also differ greatly. All dorms have good connections by public transportation to other parts of the city and most will be within bicycle distance to the main university campus areas.
The prices can also vary significantly between the different locations. Be sure to look at the costs when you apply. You can state the price you want to pay when completing the UCPH online application.
Review the Housing section of the UCPH website prior to submitting your online UCPH application. They give a full list of the housing options with detailed descriptions. 
Some of the dorms our past students have stayed in are:
  • Signalhuset is one of the residences with the most available space. It is located close to a metro station near the Southern campus area. It is a modern building with apartments. Each apartment is shared by four students; there are four bedrooms, one kitchen, and two bathrooms.
  • Tranehavegård is another of the residences with high availability. It consists of apartments shared by two students. An apartment has one bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom.
  • Keops is a dorm located in the outer Nørrebro area. The rooms have individual kitchenettes and bathrooms.
  • Tietgen and Bikuben are two of the modern buildings located on or close to the Southern campus. These are single room dorms with shared kitchens. There are only a very limited number of rooms available at these dorms.
Dormitory (kollegium) accommodations usually consist of single or double furnished rooms with private bathrooms, shared kitchens, and recreation facilities. Students are responsible for maintenance and cleaning of shared spaces in dormitories and other accommodations.
You will need your own towels, linens, blankets, and pillows. It is best to wait and purchase the necessary items in Copenhagen. Danish apartments, furniture, kitchens, and bathrooms are often different in size and shape from those in the U.S., so wait to see what you will need. Some dormitory kitchens are furnished with basic cooking utensils and dishes, and in other dormitories you will have to provide your own.
If you are in Copenhagen for the fall semester and are considering extending, it is important that you reapply for your spring housing by October 1. (It is possible to reapply for housing before making a final decision about extending to the spring program.)

Housing Payments

You are personally responsible for the cost of all room and board. Housing costs are paid directly to the University of Copenhagen. Detailed information on how and when to pay for your deposit and rent will be included in your individual housing contract.
For a dorm room, you can expect to pay a deposit and rent for a full semester before the beginning of the term.
Students on financial aid are responsible for paying their own housing costs. Financial aid will not automatically be transferred to Denmark—you must complete the transaction on your own by the designated deadline.
If your financial aid has not been disbursed by the deadline, you must pay out of your own pocket and reimburse your personal funds when you receive your financial aid. Plan ahead and make arrangements now!
The deposit will be approximately the equivalent of $1,000 and must be made by bank transfer to the International Office as stated in the contract. The deposit is refundable on departure if no damage has been done to your room.

Housing Contracts

You will receive a housing contract via e-mail from the IO. The accommodation address is on the contract. The contract must be signed and returned immediately to the University of Copenhagen’s International Office.
Move-in dates vary. Housing move-in dates are in accordance with the individual contracts sent to each student. Housing will be available no later than the beginning of orientation. If you arrive earlier than the move-in date on your contract, you will need to stay in a hotel or hostel until your move-in date.
Arrangements for guests should be coordinated with roommates and landlords. Long-term guests are not allowed.
Student housing at the University of Copenhagen is not run by the university but rather by private companies and student organizations. You are personally responsible for respecting the regulations governing the rental of your accommodations, such as deadlines described in the contract, cleaning of shared spaces, and limitations of guest stays. Details of these rules are provided with the housing contract.
You will not receive your grades until all outstanding bills are settled. Therefore, be sure that you do not leave Denmark without cleaning your room, paying your final rent, or taking care of any damage that may have been done to the room.  
Danish students generally prepare all of their own meals since eating out, particularly in the evening, is expensive. In the afternoons, however, you can purchase a light lunch (Danish open-faced sandwiches or salad) at the university canteens for about $9.
Kollegiums have communal kitchens that students share with 10 to 15 others. All kitchens have basic cooking facilities and most kitchens have shared utensils. Students living in residence halls often organize dinner clubs in which they take turns preparing evening meals. Apart from saving you some time, dinner clubs are a lot of fun and a good way to meet other students.
Refer to the UCEAP Student Budget to help you decide what to budget per month for food. You can purchase a wide variety of good produce at neighborhood fruit and vegetable markets at a reasonable cost.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Copenhagen, like most modern cities, has its problems with commuter traffic, but it also has an extremely efficient system of public transportation. A monthly pass for unlimited local bus and train transportation costs approximately DKK 345 per month (depending on the commute from the inner-city area). While riding the trains, metro, or bus in Copenhagen, you must always carry your ticket. A hefty fine is imposed on passengers who do not have a valid pass.
Visit Copenhagen’s official tourism website for more information about transportation in and around Copenhagen.
The most common form of transportation is the bicycle. The country’s main cities and towns are also linked by a web of bike paths, so cycling is considered a very practical way of getting around. You can purchase (and later sell) used bicycles through Den bla Avis, the Danish equivalent of Craigslist, for about DKK 800. Your local supermarket may also have ads posted with bikes for sale. You can carry bikes on most trains in Denmark in designated cars. Bike riders must use bike lights after sunset. Failure to comply with regulations regarding lights, brakes, reflectors, etc. will result in a fine. A $200 fine is common for violation of traffic rules such as riding without lights at night. Biking while intoxicated is prosecuted on the same premise as driving while intoxicated.
Bike theft does occur in Copenhagen, so it is important to have a good lock. If you own an expensive bike, consider including it on your personal insurance policy. Make sure that the type of lock you use is accepted by your insurance company.
Denmark’s internal air travel system is convenient for travel between the main cities. Regional buses also service most cities and towns. Denmark’s train system has reasonable fares when booking ahead online and offers frequent service. Look for ‘Orange’ tickets or student discounts.
In Denmark, automobiles are driven on the right-hand side of the road, seat belt use is mandatory, and drivers are required to carry a warning triangle. If you intend to drive a car while in Denmark, be sure to know the traffic rules and regulations of the country as they do differ from U.S. rules.
The Øresundsforbindelsen (Øresund Fixed Link), a system comprising 7.5 miles of bridges and tunnels for trains and cars connecting Malmö in southern Sweden and Copenhagen, has given the Danish capital city a convenient link to the rest of Scandinavia.  
Extracurricular Activities
Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve your language skills, and integrate more fully into the community. Join clubs, sports, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations, attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles, and get the most out of your time abroad.
Opportunities are not limited to those mentioned in this guide. This section discusses just a few of the many activities past students have enjoyed.

Meeting Others

The international student organization Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is active at University of Copenhagen and offers a variety of excursions and social events throughout the year. Visit the ESN website for more information.
A good way to meet Danes is to participate in one of the many creative courses offered at municipal night schools in drawing, painting, photography, languages, etc. These courses cost about DKK 1.600 per semester.
There are hundreds of museums and galleries in Copenhagen. Many have free admission at least one day of the week (most often on Wednesdays) and student discounts on the other days.
All about Copenhagen is a good online resource for information about cultural events and local activities.


All students enrolled at the University of Copenhagen are automatically members of Studenterhuset, one of the main student meeting places at the university. The university student card serves as an admittance card to Studenterhuset, and entitles students to beverage discounts in the bar and admission discounts at concerts. Studenterhuset is centrally located and also hosts the International Café on Wednesdays.


You can participate in the sporting life at the University of Copenhagen by joining the University’s Sports Association (USG). The USG is an organization for all students in Copenhagen and has about 6,000 members. It is designed to provide students with a wide variety of sporting opportunities including, but not limited to, water polo, ballet, basketball, soccer, handball, fencing, squash, climbing, and yoga. These activities are located all around Copenhagen to accommodate students who live in different parts of the city. The price is about $120 for one academic year.
Students with Disabilities
Students with physical and learning disabilities should be aware of a number of considerations when planning to study at the University of Copenhagen. In Denmark, students with disabilities are under the care of the regional county and not of the university. This means that without a Danish CPR number, students with disabilities cannot expect to receive much help (see the following Insurance section). Once you obtain a CPR number you can get limited public assistance. You may also need to have adequate resources to pay for assistance from the private sector. Students with mobility disabilities should also remember that much of Copenhagen and the university itself are old and were not built by contemporary standards. Many of the streets are made of cobblestones, and the older buildings of the university can be difficult to access, as there are not many elevators.
All forms of public transportation have accommodations for persons with disabilities, though many buildings are not easily accessible. Getting to the bus stop or train station can be difficult. Not all student halls have rooms that are designated for those with physical disabilities.
Travel Sign-out Form
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Work & Volunteer Opportunities

Working Abroad

Your student Residence Permit for Denmark also includes permission to work part time. You may work no more than 15 hours per week. Past students have tutored high school or primary school kids in English and have also worked in cafés, shops, and even the post office. Some students have also earned minimum wage working as lab assistants for professors. University of Copenhagen has an online Job Bank that may be helpful for finding a job.

Volunteer Opportunities

Fall and year students may apply for the Youth Ambassador Program, which includes various activities such as debates, meetings with directors of Danish businesses, and a mentor component. While it is not an internship, participating in the Youth Ambassador Program can be of potentially great future benefit as it provides a foundation for creating an excellent network in Denmark and internationally. For more information:
UCEAP students have engaged in volunteer opportunities in Copenhagen such as The Food Bank, homework help for underprivileged children, soup kitchens, etc. If you are interested in volunteering, the Study Center is available to help you with suggestions on how to get connected.
Travel During the Program
The UCEAP Student Budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Copenhagen’s location makes travel outside Denmark, near and far, convenient. The Danish International Student Committee (DISC) runs a student travel agency, Kilroy Travels, which offers student discounts. Students can also find reasonable package deals through Danish travel agencies.
Familiarize yourself with the UCEAP Student Travel Policy, which prohibits travel to places identified by the U.S. Department of State as ones to be avoided for safety reasons.
While travel opportunities may be tempting, do not allow your travels to interfere with coursework or needed study time. Opportunities for travel are plentiful and UCEAP does not wish to discourage you from taking advantage of them. However, it is expected that you will attend all class sessions and adhere to your program’s absentee policy at all times. As stipulated in the UCEAP Student Agreement, you must regularly attend all classes for which you are registered, and must conform to all applicable rules. Do not underestimate the amount of independent work that may be expected of you to succeed in your classes. When class is not in session, you are still expected to work; the time is to be used preparing for the next class and working on independent papers or projects.
Failure to abide by UCEAP travel guidelines or the Student Agreement may be cause for dismissal from the program.
UCEAP Insurance
For more information about medical and non-medical benefits, read the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure.
You need to pay for services and file a claim to be reimbursed. Medical claims processing time is about four to six weeks after the claim and receipts are received. Keep photocopies of all documentation submitted.
Danish National Health System
If you reside in Denmark for more than three months and hold a residence permit and have a CPR number, you are automatically insured by the Danish National Health system. You must apply for a CPR number to sign up for the health system. (See the Insurance section of the UCPH website.) Enrollment includes the selection of a general practitioner (GP) from a list provided.
Students insured by the Danish National System should go to their designated GP first when ill. Illness that requires treatment but occurs outside of the GP’s office hours and is not serious enough for an emergency ward can be treated by contacting the Emergency Doctor Service. If you are covered by the Danish National Health System, these services are free. If you are not covered by the Danish National Health System, you can use the same facilities but will have to pay for the service and submit a claim through the UCEAP insurance provider.
The Danish National Health System covers all visits to the GP and to emergency wards, including hospital costs and treatment by specialists if you have a referral from the GP. The National Health Service does not cover dental work, psychologists, or pharmaceuticals. You can use your UCEAP insurance for these. Non-emergency vaccinations are not covered.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Excellent medical facilities are widely available in Denmark.
In Denmark, pharmacies have exclusive rights to sell prescription-only medicines to consumers. Likewise, a great number of over-the-counter medicines are only permitted for sale in pharmacies. A Danish pharmacy is run by a private individual the proprietary pharmacist who has been licensed by the Danish state to run a pharmacy at a specific location. Almost all pharmacies have English-speaking staff.  
Shops outside the pharmacy sector can obtain authorisation to sell over-the-counter (OTC) medicines that are suitable for sale outside pharmacies. It is the Danish Health and Medicines Authority which decides whether a medicine can be sold at these shops.
Physical Health
If you feel sick or have a medical emergency once abroad, you should seek medical attention immediately and contact the Study Center as soon as possible. Study Center staff can facilitate contact to clinics or specialists, and provide guidance with the insurance claim process.
There is no university-affiliated health center at the University of Copenhagen. However, there is medical and emergency information on the Health and Safety section of the UCPH website. Here you can find contact information for hospitals, 24-hour pharmacies, psychiatric emergency wards, and after-hours dentists. Bookmark the website for easy access.  
Prescription Medications
If you take any medicine regularly, check to make sure the medication is legal in Denmark. Call the University of California travel assistance provider, Europ Assistance, on the dedicated UC phone line at 1+ (866) 451-7606 or e-mail You are permitted to bring a maximum 14-day supply into Denmark.
If it is necessary for you to have more than a 14-day supply of U.S. prescription medications that are considered illegal in Denmark (e.g., some ADHD medications that contain amphetamines), you must apply for an exemption (dispensation) through the Danish Medicines Agency to import medicine into Denmark. Applying for an exemption does not guarantee that an exemption will be made. This decision is entirely up to the Danish Medicines Agency. Start this process at the beginning of the program to allow time for a few consultations, if necessary. Do not wait until you need a new prescription. For further inquiries, contact the Danish Medicines Agency:
Danish Medicines Agency
Axel Heides Gade 1
DK-2300 København S ​
Phone (general inquiries): +45 44889595
Fax: + 45 44889599
Hours (Danish time): Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
If you have a current prescription/note from your doctor, a local Danish doctor may consider issuing you a Danish prescription for the same medication. Danish law requires you to obtain a prescription from a local Danish doctor. After arrival and registration with the Danish health service, you will receive a CPR number (Danish Civil Registration number). With this number, you can make an appointment with a Danish doctor. Bring an extra copy of your prescription including the generic name of all medications you are currently taking as brand names may be different. It is recommended that you bring a doctor’s letter listing your diagnosis as foreign prescriptions are not refillable in Denmark.
Mailing medications: It is difficult or impossible to mail prescription and over-the-counter medications through the mail—do not plan on doing so. They will be confiscated by Danish customs’ control.
Mental Health
Culture shock is a normal developmental phase of adjustment to a new cultural environment. It is not a psychological disorder. It is easy to become worn down from physical and mental stress due to the vastly different environment. Culture shock reactions are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope.
The University of Copenhagen has a limited counseling service that is free of charge, and all students enrolled are eligible for this service. Only under serious and specific circumstances does the Danish National Health System cover expenses for psychologists. Psychiatrists are included in the Danish National Health System and, as with all other specialists, you must receive a referral through a general practitioner (GP).
The UCEAP health insurance covers consultations with any licensed psychologist.  For acute mental health emergencies, contact the nearest emergency ward or call the “mobile doctor.” This service is covered by the Danish National Health System after registering with the Danish Civil Registration Office (CPR).
If at any time you need support to cope, contact the university’s International Office or the UCEAP Study Center for assistance.You can also contact the UCEAP assistance provider, Europ Assistance. Europ Assistance offers counseling and medical referrals, and may be able to facilitate payment directly to medical providers, depending on the provider, particularly during emergencies. When you call Europ Assistance, identify yourself as a UCEAP student. Contact information: Call international collect 1+ (202) 828-5896 (ask the International Office staff how to call collect from Denmark) or e-mail
Health Risks
​Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Community sanitation is generally good. Health concerns related to food and beverages are minimal.
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
In addition to the following chapter, read the Safety chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, which provides useful reminders and easy reference chapters that you should consult before departure and while abroad. Protecting yourself will require your careful planning and commitment. Also, the University of Copenhagen website includes important safety information that you should read before departure.
The University of California Education Abroad Program has established policies and procedures to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. However, your own conduct is the central factor in promoting your safety and well-being. Staying safe and secure while abroad is a partnership between you and UCEAP and it requires you to take personal responsibility for observing culturally appropriate behavior, exercising sound judgment, and abiding by UCEAP policies and procedures. You need to recognize that you are responsible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for exercising good judgment to protect your health, safety, and well-being.Essential behaviors include being aware of your surroundings, understanding how your conduct and actions may be perceived, and being sensitive to the impact that your behavior could have on your personal safety.  
Crime & Prevention
Denmark remains a relatively safe and secure country. It regularly ranks among the least corrupt nations in the world according to multiple surveys.  Although not especially common, pick pocketing can be an issue in some public areas such as on buses and trains and in and around popular tourist areas. Local pickpockets operate in teams of two or three, with one or more distracting the victim while another steals the victims valuables. The majority of these crimes occur in the summer months around heavily trafficked tourist sites. 
Pay attention and follow your instincts, if something is not right – use your common sense, as you would do in any other big city.

Preventing Theft

The best theft prevention tip is to use common sense:
Do not
  • leave your bike unlocked
  • leave doors and windows unlocked
  • carry a lot of cash or jewelry
  • walk in isolated areas (parks, underground tunnels) alone, especially after dark
  • be too accessible to strangers
The University of Copenhagen does not have a special security program. You are responsible for your own safety and security. The University of Copenhagen does not provide a special transport service. However, subway and bus services within the city of Copenhagen are exceptionally dependable and safe to use.
Police and public authority CCTV monitoring is on the rise to prevent crimes in high risk areas; recently, cameras were installed on Strøget (the well-known pedestrian shopping street) in Copenhagen. Cameras are also installed in train stations, on S-trains, and on the metro.
Sexual Assault
It is very unlikely that you should be exposed to a sexual assault. However, in the event that this occurs, it is possible to receive both medical and psychological counselling at the local rape centre or hospital. It is very important to go to the nearest rape centre (or hospital) to be examined, if you have been subject to are a survivor of a sex crime. Do not clean yourself up/wash before going. Remember that it is not a shame, and not something you need to hide. It is not your fault, and it does help to talk about it.
Rigshospitalet has a Center for Victims of Sexual Assault. The center is open 24 hours a day, and you can contact a nurse on tel. 35 45 50 32. You do not need an appointment, but it may be a good idea to contact the centre before going there, so they know you are coming, and are able to give you advice on what to do and what to bring.The center provides emergency assistance – for men and women who are survivors of rape or attempted rape. Remember that the center will help you whether you want to report the assault to the police or not. Examination and treatment is free, subject to strict confidentiality and always voluntary.
(Center for voldtægtsofre)
Entrance 5, 3rd floor, section 5032
Blegdamsvej 9 – also entrance from Juliane Maries Vej
DK-2100 Copenhagen East
Tel: +45 35 45 50 32

Criminal Penalties

Persons violating Denmark’s laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Denmark are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Possessing knives with a locking blade longer than seven centimeters (2.75 inches) in a public place carries an immediate jail sentence. 

Police Response

Most police officers are fluent in English. Police assistance throughout Denmark is generally very good. The police are well trained, professional, competent, and have adequate resources to conduct thorough investigations.Denmark is well-known as a country with very little corruption. Danish police pride themselves in taking proactive approaches to crime and violence.Under Danish law, the police are permitted to detain someone for up to eight hours without charge.
Civil Unrest
Demonstrations and acts of civil disobedience are generally limited and peaceful in Denmark. The Danish authorities require all demonstrations to have a permit.
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Denmark has an extensive and efficient public transportation system. Trains, buses, and ferries connect Copenhagen with other major cities in Denmark and with Norway, Sweden, Poland, and Germany.

Public transportation services in Copenhagen are safe, extensive, efficient and reliable. Trains, buses and ferries connect Copenhagen with other major cities in Denmark and to Norway, Sweden, and Germany. Nevertheless, use common sense and take security precautions. If traveling with bags, keep them in sight at all times.
Denmark is a very bicycle friendly country, and there are bicycle lanes throughout the country, usually paralleling vehicular lanes. There are about 5,2 million bicycles in Denmark - and 1,2 million in Copenhagen.  Almost 200,000 Copenhageners commute to work every day. This can cause issues for people unfamiliar with the area or if people are not continually alert when driving or biking. Traffic laws are strictly enforced. 
Many students in Copenhagen get around the city on bicycles. It is a fast, cheap, and efficient mode of transport to classes, the supermarket, the movies, etc. The traffic on the bicycle lanes is intense and at high speed. Make sure that your bicycle has the right safety gear and wear a helmet. If buying a second-hand bike, you can ask to have it checked at a bicycle store.  
  • Observe other cyclists and learn to signal in the traffic.
  • Basic rules when cycling in the city:
    • Keep right and always use the bicycle tracks, when available.
    • Use hand signals when turning right or left or stopping. In Denmark there are no right turns on red.
    • Only one person is allowed on a cycle; riding side by side is permitted.
    • Stop at bus stops and allow passengers to enter or depart the bus.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
Know where the emergency exits and fire extinguishers are located.
In An Emergency
If you are abroad
Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:
  • If you need immediate emergency assistance, call 112 for Police, Ambulance, or Fire Department. This is the equivalent of 911 in the U.S. Police assistance in Copenhagen is excellent. The police are well trained and professional, and they have adequate resources. Almost all officers speak English fluently.
  • If necessary, call the emergency number of the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen: (011 45) 33 41 74 00
U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen:
Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 København Ø.
Business Hours: M-F, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Phone: (011 45) 33 41 71 00
Fax: (011 45) 35 43 02 23
After Hours Emergency Phone: (011 45) 33 41 74 00 
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.