Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
March–Add 9 hours
Univ. of Copenhagen

- Fall
- Spring
- Year

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, health and safety, finances and much more.

Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Program Advisor
Hannah Vander Sal
Phone: (805) 893-4430; E-mail:
Operations Specialist
Kitty Christen
Phone: (805) 893-4430; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Lauren Nestler
Phone: (805) 893-4683; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Antonette Escarsega
Phone: (805) 893-4023; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Pre-Departure Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP Denmark page.

Study Center Abroad

The UCEAP Study Center provides a variety of student support services including advising on University of Copenhagen academic matters, cultural activities, and health and safety guidelines.
University of California Study Center at University of Copenhagen
Program Coordinator
Katrine Heller
University Education Service
Fiolstræde 1
1171 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Phone (calling from the U.S.): (011 45) 35 32 04 11
Phone (calling from Denmark): 35 32 04 11 

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code ............ 011    (dial this to call from the U.S.)
Denmark country code ..............45

Approximate Time Difference

Add 9 hours
Academic Information
Program Overview

University of Copenhagen Application

You will apply online to the University of Copenhagen. You will be notified via e-mail when you are able to access and begin this application. The application for admission also includes applications for language programs and a mentor.
Selection by the University of California to participate in the UCEAP program does not guarantee admission to the University of Copenhagen. University of Copenhagen has the right to deny admission if your application is incomplete, inaccurate, or does not meet academic requirements. Therefore, it is important to take the time to carefully fill out the application and submit the requested documentation. You will also need to upload your transcripts (these do not have to be official, but must have your name and university printed on them).

Intensive Language Program (ILP)

All students must take the intensive three-week pre-semester introductory Danish language course, which constitutes the intensive language program (ILP). This mandatory course begins in early August for the fall and year programs and in early January for the spring program. It provides language skills useful in daily life and prepares you for general conversation during the term. The course is worth 4.0 quarter/2.7 UC semester units and may be taken for a letter grade or P/NP. 
The program consists of an intensive language instruction course taking place every morning, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 -12:30 with a number of cultural and social activities in the afternoons. In the language instruction part of the program, Danish is studied and taught as a second language in the context of the university and the surrounding city of Copenhagen. For more information see the University of Copenhagen Pre-Semester Danish Language Course Information.

Academic Program

The academic program at the University of Copenhagen consists of regular courses in a wide variety of disciplines. Courses in English are offered through UCPH’s six faculties. Particular strengths at the University of Copenhagen include Economics, Political Science, Biological Sciences, Environmental Studies, Psychology, and Health Sciences. Courses are also available in Math and Physical Sciences, Arts and Humanities, and much more.
Every semester, the University of Copenhagen offers a range of interdisciplinary courses for international students, including the Danish Culture Courses, Danish Cinema, Danish Architecture and Urban Design, Danish Welfare, Nordic Mythology, Kierkegaard and the Challenge of Existence, and Gender and Sexuality Studies. UCEAP returnees have reported that it was rewarding to take a course of study that provides a uniquely Danish perspective in areas such as international relations and social policy.
Academic Culture
Study at the University of Copenhagen (UCPH) is organized into three levels. Three years of undergraduate studies lead to a bachelor’s degree. An additional two years leads to a Candidatus degree (master’s degree). All Candidatus degrees obtained from UCPH can be extended with three more years of postgraduate work leading to a PhD. The structures of the theological, medical, and dentistry degrees differ from this model. University admission in Denmark is highly competitive, especially within certain programs. Students are usually focused and serious about their studies.
When students enroll for a bachelor’s degree at the University of Copenhagen, they enroll in a specific departmental program or faculty and take all courses within that departmental. The only exception to this structure is within the Faculty of Humanities where students take a minimum of two of their three years within their program. Therefore, Danish students specialize earlier in their studies than is typical for UC students. The majority of students go directly from their bachelor program into the Candidatus program. 
Some students at the University of Copenhagen enroll directly following gymnasium (high school), but many have a “gap” year during which they work and travel before beginning their studies at the university.
The greatest academic challenge UCEAP students face at the University of Copenhagen is learning self-discipline. Particularly in the Social Sciences and Humanities, there are few or no assignments during the semester and few hours in class per week. This has led some UCEAP students to underestimate the amount of independent work expected and needed to be prepared for classes and do well on projects and papers. The final exam is often a major individual paper or project which requires a large amount of work. If you are highly self-motivated, you will do well in the Danish university system.  

University Structure

The academic year is divided into two semesters: fall and spring. Each semester within the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences consists of two blocks. Block 1+2 are fall semester and Block 3+4 are spring semester. Therefore the courses in these two Faculties are shorter and more intense in their structure. Courses in the Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences are taught as semester-long courses.   
Class size varies from 10 to 100 students, depending on the course. Classes can be lectures, seminars, or workshops. Expectations regarding class participation vary depending on the class size and type. For most classes, attendance is not monitored. At UCPH, you are expected to be motivated and well prepared; if you are not, the penalty is reflected in the final grade.
Workload differs from class to class. Classes often include extensive reading lists with a focus on primary texts. Many courses include assignments during the semester that are not graded, but are an important part of the learning process and preparation for the final exams.
Most work done at the university is independent, but study groups will often emerge. Being part of a study group can be immensely helpful in preparing for final exams.
Not all of the required reading will be discussed in class. Final exam questions may include areas not covered in class. It is therefore not enough just to attend classes. Individual study and self-motivation are the keys to success at the University of Copenhagen.

Libraries & Textbooks

Library service at UCPH can be divided into three parts: 1) department libraries, 2) faculty (school) libraries, and 3) the Royal Library. Each department has its own reference library. Once enrolled in the department, you can usually borrow books from the department library. Each faculty also has a library with an extensive lending service. Located in the center of the city, the research-oriented Royal Library serves as the National Library of Denmark. The libraries have regular hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), but they do not provide as many places to sit and study as the UC libraries. In order to check out books at the Royal Library, you complete a loan form (manually or via computer) and then retrieve the books the following day.
You can find many course-related books at the library, but you will probably have to purchase some books. There is no organized system for the buying and selling of used books at the university. Students usually put up ads to buy or sell in their departments or purchase their books through one of the many bookstores in Copenhagen.


The amount and style of interaction between instructors and students differs from teacher to teacher and department to department. All instructors have office hours when they are available for consultation. However, help for writing papers and preparing for exams is limited. Instructors will assist with the academic and theoretical aspects of writing papers, but not with the technical aspects. The university offers an academic writing course to help you with the preparation of papers, and there are online writing guides available through the Faculty of Humanities. Since most departments do not have a tutorial system, you are strongly advised to take the writing course.
Each department has student peer advisors available to assist in the transition to the university. The peer advisors can help with advice on how to develop good study habits, what to expect of exams, etc.
Course Information
Most departments at the University of Copenhagen plan the curriculum for the coming semester just before the end of the previous semester. Therefore, the full list of courses offered in English will not be available until a few weeks before the semester starts. Look at the courses offered in current or previous semesters in order to make a preliminary plan for your studies in Copenhagen. Check the University of Copenhagen website for courses offered in English.
It is worthwhile to take a broad look at the course catalogue when searching for classes. For example, Environmental Studies courses can be offered by the Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences but other departments such as Food and Resource Economics and Geoscience and Natural Resource Management will also offer environmental studies courses. The Study Center and Academic Specialist are available for advice on course selection.
Most undergraduate courses are available without specific prerequisites. (There are some restrictions for students wishing to take courses outside their home faculty.) However, be aware that Danish students generally begin their university studies at a more specialized level than UC students and some background in the subjects is assumed. With the exception of Danish language courses and some Danish culture courses, nearly all coursework is at the upper-division and graduate level. Most courses require extensive independent reading and research papers, in addition to final exams, which are likely to concentrate on material covered in the reading, rather than the lectures. If you have questions about a specific course, contact the UCEAP Systemwide office to inquire further.

As a UCEAP, student you can take courses at the Master level provided that you have the appropriate background and meet the prerequisites. In general, graduate-level courses should be taken only within your major. These courses will transfer back to UC as upper-division undergraduate credit. Remember that this is advanced level coursework that will be challenging.  It is often the case that the European students will have more background than a US undergraduate — something you should carefully consider when enrolling and thinking about your potential performance (including future grade) in masters level classes. Be sure to carefully review the prerequisites and strongly consider whether your previous coursework has prepared you for the material covered in this course.


For Business majors, there may be an opportunity to enroll in 1-2 courses at the Copenhagen Business School (CBS) which offers interesting courses in business, finance, marketing, management, and accounting. After you have been accepted into the program, the UCEAP Program Coordinator in Copenhagen will contact you with more information on how and when to apply for courses at CBS. You will need to respond to the Program Coordinator in order to indicate interest in enrolling in these courses because CBS is a separate institution from the University of Copenhagen and therefore additional enrollment steps are required. Please note that enrollment at CBS is not guaranteed as they determine eligibility for their courses and space is limited.  Most courses taken at CBS will be upper-division. You cannot take your full course load at CBS.

Registering for Courses

There is no standard registration process for selecting courses. Most departments require students to preregister for courses. Deadlines and methods for signing up for classes will vary depending on the department of each course you will be registering for. You will receive information on how to sign up for courses in your admission letter. You will also receive emails from your department at your University of Copenhagen e-mail account about signing up for courses if there are deadlines prior to your arrival. It is therefore very important that you check your University of Copenhagen e-mail account for such messages.
You should have several alternative courses in mind (already reviewed by your home campus department) in case your first choices in Denmark are cancelled or you cannot get into them. You should prepare yourself for your courses in Denmark by taking relevant or prerequisite courses during the UC spring term prior to departure. The UCEAP Study Center at the University of Copenhagen is open year round and can answer questions and provide information about courses, departments, the University of Copenhagen, and Denmark.
It is recommended that you do not enroll in all Master-level coursework. Although the credit will transfer back as upper-division undergraduate credit, the courses can be very challenging in nature and past students have found that taking more than two Master level courses was too difficult of a workload.
Biology majors: Many biology courses, particularly those in the field of Genetics, require a strong background in chemistry. If you enroll in a biology course that has chemistry as a prerequisite, note that it may be very challenging and it is recommended that you enroll in just 1 course within your major per semester.
Economics majors: Due to the intensity of the Economics courses, it is recommended that you enroll in just 1 Economics course per semester.
Public Health majors: Due to the intensity of Public Health courses, it is recommended that you enroll in just 1 course at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences per semester. 
Many courses at the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences are intense in nature. If you are concerned about your course load please consult with the Academic Specialist or the Study Center Coordinator at the time of course registration to ensure that you are enrolling in a manageable workload.
Consult with your UC department to plan your academic program before departure. You should also stay in contact with your department advisors while you are abroad in case there are changes to your academic program or questions regarding the transfer of courses to your major or general education requirements.
Once a course starts, you will be presented with a time plan and a syllabus. Remember to register for your courses with both the specific University of Copenhagen department and on your MyEAP Study List. The MyEAP Study List is your official registration with the University of California. Any changes made to the academic program must be made with both institutions.   


You are required to enroll in a full time study program. The typical unit load is 18-24 UC quarter units (12-16 semester units) per semester. This is in addition to the units taken during the ILP.
Units for each course differ and are based on the European system of ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). The ECTS credit for a course depends on the content and total workload of a course. The most common unit values are:
5 ECTS = 4 quarter/2.7 semester UC units
7.5 ECTS = 6 quarter/4 semester UC units
10 ECTS = 8 quarter/5.3 semester UC units
15 ECTS = 12 quarter/8 semester UC units
The typical course load is two-four courses per semester. Full-time study is calculated by ECTS credits per semester, not by the number of courses. The UCEAP requirements are that you enroll in 22.5-30 ECTS per semester.

Pass/No Pass

If you are enrolled in 2 or 3 courses you can take 1 course for P/NP.
If you are enrolled in 4 courses you can take 2 courses for P/NP.
If you are enrolled in a course that is graded on a pass/no pass basis only (no letter grade is available) make sure to notify the Study Center so that the course is correctly entered into your MyEAP study list.  
Most courses at the Department of Psychology are offered as pass/no pass courses, however international students can request to receive a Danish numeric grade which will be translated to a letter grade on the UC scale. If you are taking a psychology course, make sure to consult with the Study Center on the process for obtaining a Danish numeric grade because this needs to be handled at the beginning of the semester right after classes have started.

Early Exit Exams

In some cases, fall-only students must make special arrangements to complete exams by late December. Exam dates vary between faculties and departments. Because Block 2 courses do not end until late January, you need to speak to your instructor at the beginning of the course to ensure that an early exit exam can be facilitated. Fall students in the Faculty of Science should pay particular attention to arranging early exams for Block 2 courses.  It is not always possible to arrange early exams for these courses as departing by the end of December means not only needing an early exam but missing out on several weeks of a course. It is important to address this issue at the very beginning of the semester. The Study Center is available for advice.
UCEAP and your UC campus cannot proctor exams in the U.S. You must make arrangements to complete final exams in Copenhagen before you depart. 


There are numerous opportunities to participate in research within the university, particularly in the Biological and Environmental Sciences. If you are interested in doing research in a particular field, you should contact the faculty after your acceptance by the University of Copenhagen to see what opportunities are available. Research opportunities can also be secured once you are onsite in Copenhagen.
At the University of Copenhagen, assessment is usually done through one final exam. As noted earlier, assignments may be given during the course, but these are rarely graded. The final exam may be oral, written, or may require a written paper. In some cases, you may be allowed to choose the type of examination you prefer. The instructor and an independent examiner called a “censor” do the grading. Grading is not done on a curve.
Grades for the fall semester are typically available by mid-March and grades for the spring semester are typically available by early September.

Retaking Exams

UCPH allows students to re-sit an exam; however this is not an option for most UCEAP students as you will not be onsite when the re-sit takes place.  Do not plan on taking any re-sits for your courses. Additionally you cannot submit a petition to drop a course based on the fact that you will not be on-site for the re-sit. The initial exam is your final exam. UCEAP students are only allowed to re-sit exams if the re-sit occurs before the student returns to his/her home campus. This is typically only possible for students who are on the yearlong program.  You may retake an exam only after you have consulted with the course coordinator, the Study Center Coordinator, and a Contract for “I” (Incomplete) Grade has been completed and approved, signed, and submitted to the Systemwide Office. You are not permitted to make special arrangements directly with your instructor without completing a Contract for “I” Grade approved by the Faculty Director.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
​As the city of Copenhagen hosts many different institutions and organizations, there are many opportunities for organizing an internship for advanced undergraduate and graduate students. When contacting organizations about potential internship positions, be sure to copy the study center ( on your emails. 
In order to be considered for an internship:
  • Contact your home campus Career Center to learn how to write a motivated letter and a curriculum vitae (CV). The Career Center can also help you define your goals for your internship abroad. It is useful to do this well in advance of leaving for Denmark. 
  • Identify organizations or companies of interest to you. Familiarize yourself with the entity as much as possible. What do they do? Which departments within the organization are you interested in? etc. 
  • Find out if the entity has an internship program or perhaps take interns on an ad hoc basis. Inquire about how and when to apply. 
  • Send a thorough motivated application and include a CV directly to the organization of your interest as early as possible. 
  • Internships are competitive. Apply to more than one business or organization to optimize your chances for a successful outcome. 
  • Be sure to let the organization or business know that you will be a student at University of Copenhagen while in Denmark. You will not need their help in getting a residence permit. 
  • If offered an internship, make sure to have an agreement on when to start; what kind of project you will be doing; how, by whom, and when it will be evaluated; and the approximate number of hours of work expected of you. Keep in mind that you will not be able to do a full time internship as you will have to enroll in coursework as well.
University of Copenhagen has an online Job Bank. This job agent holds information on available positions with the university, organizations, and private businesses. Vacancies are on all levels and include internship postings for students. At the Job Bank you may find the internship you want, or it may offer inspiration for places you can contact and inquire about internship opportunities.
Institutions such as the UNICEF Supply Division and WHO Regional Office for Europe accept applications from students for internships. The International Secretariat of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCEPA) may also accept internship applications. It is also possible to apply for an internship at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. Some private companies also offer internships.
Extending UCEAP Participation
UCEAP encourages fall students to extend participation to the academic year. The best way to plan for an extension is to submit a Departmental Preliminary Approval to Extend form (DPA) prior to departure. The DPA does not oblige you to extend, but will expedite the process if you do decide to extend once you are in Denmark.
You must contact the UC Study Center to initiate the extension process. Approval of an extension is based on a number of factors, including academic performance, the support of your home campus department, available space at the host university, and a personal interview at the UC Study Center. Requests to extend enrollment also require approval of the University of Copenhagen and the Danish immigration authorities. The UC Study Center in Copenhagen can assist you with this process. The granting of a DPA does not automatically guarantee an extension.
To extend to a fall or year program, you must submit one of the following:
  • A Request for Final Approval (RFA) form (if you submitted a DPA form prior to departure)
  • A Petition to Extend form (if you did not submit a DPA)
November 1: Deadline to submit extension forms for the fall program to year.
The deadline for extending may be earlier with the University of Copenhagen. The University of Copenhagen does not guarantee housing if you extend after the deadline of applying for admission.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your UC campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus EAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take with regard to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites such as Lonely Planet are excellent resources.
Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers (The Copenhagen Post, for example), magazines, and journals such as Visit Copenhagen.
You will also need to understand the local culture and history. These sources should help you prepare before departure.

Recommended Reading

Acquire a good travel guide to Denmark and study it before you go abroad. Some recommendations are Denmark (Lonely Planet Country Guide) by Andrew Stone, et al; and The Rough Guide to Denmark and The Rough Guide to Copenhagen (Rough Guide Travel Guides) by Mouritsen et al.

Prominent Danish Authors

Writings by Johannes V. Jensen (notably The Fall of the King) and Karen Blixen (Out of Africa and Seven Gothic Tales) are recommended. In addition, Hans Christian Andersen’s Tales Told for Children (1835) and his autobiographical The Fairy Tale of My Life are recommended, as well as Peter Høeg’s novel, Smilla’s Sense of Snow. Writings by Benny Andersen, Jens Christian Grøndahl, Ib Michael, Martin Andersen Nexø, Klaus Rifbjerg, and Søren Ulrik Thomsen also come highly recommended.  

Recommended Viewing

Among the movies with Danish themes are Babette’s Feast and the highly acclaimed Pelle the Conqueror, both of which won Oscars for best foreign language film of the year in 1987 and 1988, respectively. The Dogme 95 movies such as The Celebration by Thomas Vinterberg (1998) and Mifune’s Last Song by Søren Kragh-Jacobsen (1999) started a new era of Danish cinema.
Some Danish television series also make for good viewing. Some good options are Forbrydelsen – The Killing (2007), Borgen (2010) and Arvingerne (2014).
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
You will have a mandatory welcome dinner and orientation meeting at the very beginning of your program. Both are held by the UCEAP Program Coordinator exclusively for UCEAP students, and all UCEAP students are requird to attend. 
After the pre-semester Danish language course and before the beginning of the semester courses the UCPH faculties have welcome meetings and orientation for international students. At these meetings, courses are introduced and important information about the department, exam registration, etc. is covered. It is important that you also attend these meetings. Do not make travel arrangements in between the pre-semester ILP course and the start of the semester until you know exactly when the departmental orientations will be held.
The orientations provide insight into the academic environment of the University of Copenhagen and explain course credit, study lists, grades, and other academic matters. Advice will be given on coping in a new culture and on such issues as health, local transportation, opening a bank account, acquiring a phone, residence permits, and registering with the Danish authorities.
Detailed information regarding the arrival meeting point and orientation will be sent via e-mail prior to your arrival.
You are subject to dismissal from UCEAP if you do not attend the mandatory orientations (per the UCEAP Student Agreement).
Travel Planning

Student Mentors 

When completing the University of Copenhagen online application, it is important to indicate that you would like to have a mentor. A mentor is a Danish student who volunteers to help international students during their study abroad in Copenhagen. If signing up for a mentor you will receive information directly from the departmental mentor programs.
If you opt not to have a mentor, or if your mentor is unable to meet you upon arrival, you will have to make your own way to your accommodations. If you are staying in a dorm, make sure to check your housing contract carefully for information on where and how to collect your keys. 
The mentor will be able to advise you on everyday practical matters, such as how to use the public transportation in your area, where to do your shopping, and where to go for entertainment in Copenhagen.
We highly recommend that you sign up for a mentor, not only for practical reasons but because mentors can be an excellent first step to becoming integrated at the university and in your new neighborhood. There is nothing to lose and potentially a lot to be gained from participating.
For more information see Mentor Programme on the UCPH website.  
Note that mentors are students from University of Copenhagen who volunteer to help incoming international students. As it is on a voluntary basis, the University of Copenhagen does not guarantee mentors will be available for everyone.
Travel to Your Host Country
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.
Standby tickets are not appropriate for UCEAP students.
You are responsible for making and paying for your own travel arrangements, even if you are on financial aid. The Financial Aid Office is not responsible for purchasing tickets. You are strongly urged to purchase changeable airline tickets and confirm your flight schedule prior to departure.
If the start date of your program is changed due to unforeseen circumstances, you are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any transportation charges incurred for independent travel arrangements.
In order to be kept informed of any program changes, notify UCEAP of any changes in your address, phone number, or e-mail address by updating MyEAP.
Individual final exam schedules cannot be determined before reaching Denmark; students purchasing round-trip airline tickets should be careful to select a ticket that allows the possibility of changing the return flight date at a minimal charge.
Please note that UCEAP strongly discourages students from “couch surfing” when traveling. This is defined as using an online social network to organize free places to stay.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
Travel Documents
Information about passports, visas, and other documents that are required for participation in this program is provided in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and in the UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist.

Residence Permit

To apply for a residence permit, you must first be accepted by the department(s) at University of Copenhagen (UCPH). It is therefore very important to apply for admission to UCPH as soon as possible after receiving the e-mail notification from them. Upon acceptance by UCPH, you will receive an e-mail with documents and instructions that you will need in order to apply for a residence permit. This will include a link to the residence permit (ST1) application with one section completed by UCPH. 
Your UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist (PDC) will have very detailed information for obtaining the residence permit. Before applying for it, you are required to send a payment directly to the Danish Immigration Service. You must then go in person to San Francisco to have biometric photos and fingerprints made, after which your passport and all supplemental documentation will be mailed to the Danish Consulate General in New York. The whole process takes several weeks; it is therefore imperative that you start on this as early as possible. 
You should obtain approval for a residence permit before you arrive in Denmark. 
You will receive your actual residence permit card after you are in Denmark.
Use the detailed instructions in your PDC! It is essential to follow directions and meet all deadlines for documents associated with the residence permit application. Failure to do so may jeopardize your UCEAP participation.
If you are a fall student and you choose to extend for another term, you must reapply for a new residence permit. The reapplication is done through the Copenhagen-based consular office before the first permit expires. The UC Study Center will provide details on how to get the new residence permit.

Non-U.S. Citizens

There may be additional requirements for non-U.S. citizens, depending on country of citizenship. If you are a non-U.S. citizen, contact the Danish consulate directly to determine applicable regulations for your citizenship.

Registration with Danish Authorities

Upon arrival in Denmark, you will register with Danish authorities. The two most important registrations are with the Civil Registration Office (Folkeregisteret or Borgerservice), where you will get a CPR number, sign up for the National Health Service, be assigned a general practitioner (GP), and receive an identity card or social security card; and with the University of Copenhagen, where you will receive a student ID card. To register with the Civil Registration Office you will need to take your completed registration form, passport (and a photocopy of it), residence permit confirmation, acceptance letter from the University of Copenhagen, and your housing contract for proof of your address in Denmark.

Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.
Identify each item of luggage on the inside and outside with your name, home address, and destination abroad.
Only take what you can carry by yourself. Be sure to check with your airline for specific luggage size and weight restrictions. Most carriers charge exorbitant fees for excess weight.
Consider purchasing a TSA-approved lock for your checked luggage. You can find information about this, along with other useful travel tips on the Transportation Security Administration website at   


  • Sturdy, waterproof shoes or boots for the fall and winter
  • Scarves, hats, and gloves
  • Warm coat for the winter
  • Clothing that can be layered
  • Prescription medication (see the Staying Healthy chapter in this guide for details on taking prescription medication abroad)
  • Registration documents (UCPH acceptance letter, residence permit approval, etc.)
  • Voltage converter and plug adapter (see the Electric Current section in this chapter)


  • Thermal underwear
  • Wool socks
  • Raincoat with a hood (it’s often too windy for umbrellas)
  • One dressy outfit for formal occasions
  • Sports attire
  • Small backpack for excursions
  • Sleeping bag for weekend trips


It is important to check on the legality and availability of any prescription medications that you need while abroad. Some medications may be legal in the U.S. but may not yet have been approved in Denmark. It is illegal to ship medications to Denmark. Plan to take enough to last throughout your term or make a plan to get a prescription in Denmark (see the Staying Healthy chapter in this guide for details).


The casual attire typically worn at UC is acceptable in Copenhagen; however, you will need heavy clothing in colder weather.
Clothing is generally more expensive in Denmark than in California. Secondhand shops are good sources for clothing, but not footwear. Wool sweaters and lined rubber boots are available at affordable prices in Denmark.

Electric Current

The voltage in Europe is 220–240 rather than the standard 110 volts in the U.S. Plugs and outlets differ from those in the U.S. Bring a voltage converter and plug adapter if you take small electrical appliances from the U.S. such as hair dryers, travel irons, and electric shavers. Make sure that your laptop can run on 220-240 volts.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  UCEAP strongly recommends that you examine the details of the UCEAP Travel Insurance benefits and purchase additional property insurance coverage, especially to protect high cost items such as laptop computers, Smartphones, tablets, and other valuables. Review the policy carefully before departure and determine if it provides adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling because most theft occurs in the airport or while moving into housing. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions. Avoid wearing expensive clothing or jewelry and going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Minimize your vulnerability by staying in control of your drinking and your behavior. Do not invite casual acquaintances or strangers home.
Return Transportation
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.

Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad
Neither Denmark nor Sweden uses the euro, though they are both members of the European Union. Their national currencies remain in use, and they continue to be different in value from each other. Be sure to note the difference between the Danish krone (DKK) and the Swedish krona (SEK).
When writing numbers, commas and periods are reversed in Europe. For example, 1,00 is what Europeans would consider 1.00 and 1.000 is what Americans would consider 1,000.
You should take at least $150 and approximately 1.000 DKK in cash to Denmark for travel and initial expenses. 


Consider opening a bank account in Denmark to facilitate banking transactions needed for the duration of your stay. You can also deposit money into this account for safety and easy access if making large ATM withdrawals from your American bank. 
To open a bank account you will need your passport, the Danish CPR number (the Danish equivalent of a Social Security number), and your University of Copenhagen admissions letter. There are no fees for opening or having an account, but fees should be expected for various services from the bank.
Many large U.S. banks maintain affiliate relations with Danish banks. For easier money transfers, find out if your American bank is affiliated with a Danish bank in Copenhagen and what services are available. UCEAP students have often established accounts at Den Danske Bank or Nordea. Banks may require up to one month for checks to clear and funds to be released.
Banks in Denmark are generally open on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with extended hours on Thursdays to 6 p.m. Banks at the Copenhagen Airport keep longer hours. Most banks have 24-hour ATMs that accept Visa and MasterCard. As you would at home, be aware of the obvious risk of using an ATM at night. Forex, which has a location close to the Study Center, exchanges cash for a reasonable fee.  

Transferring Money via ATM

The best way to have money transferred is through an ATM. In Denmark, using an ATM is possible with a valid international debit card or an ATM card. Confirm with your bank that you can use your ATM card to access funds in Copenhagen. Be sure to obtain a personal identification number (PIN) with four digits, because this is required by European ATMs.
While abroad, you can use your ATM card and PIN to withdraw money from your U.S. account. Contact your bank prior to leaving the U.S. to confirm the maximum amount you can withdraw per day and what fees will be charged. Recently, students have been reporting that having a banking account with Charles Schwab has provided them with ATM access without service charges. You will want to research your banking options well ahead of time before going abroad.
Notify your bank that you are going abroad; otherwise, there is a risk they will flag transactions as unusual activity and cut off access to your account.

Credit Cards

Visa, MasterCard, and American Express cards are widely accepted in hotels, restaurants, and shops in Denmark and in Europe. If your card has a four digit pin number, your payments abroad will be much easier. You will also want to be sure that your credit card has a chip. Most new cards now come with this feature. 
Inform your credit card company that you will be using your card abroad so they do not freeze your account. And be sure to ask about international fees added to your transactions.
In some cases, banks will give cash advances on credit cards, although there is usually a high fee for this service. You must have a 4-digit PIN code for your credit card to withdraw cash.
Communications Abroad
Internet Access


The International Office at the University of Copenhagen sets up a free e-mail account for you at the time of your admission. Important messages from the university, such as information on housing offers and how to register for exams, are often distributed through these e-mail accounts, so it is imperative that you check your university e-mail regularly. UCPH will only use the university e-mail account. You are responsible for responding to e-mails in this account from the time of admission and onward. It may also be convenient to have a web-based e-mail account, such as Gmail, which you can access at any time and anywhere for your general needs.

Computer Access & Use

You are encouraged to take a laptop if you have one. Although computer facilities are available at University of Copenhagen, a laptop will be very useful for your academic work. Also, pack a converter and an adapter for the power source if it is needed. Internet access will vary depending on your housing situation. Some dormitories provide free LAN Internet access.
The UCEAP travel insurance provides a personal property benefit, which includes coverage for laptop theft; however, it is your responsibility to review the details of this coverage and make sure it is enough to cover your laptop. Information is available in the UCEAP Insurance Plan.You may determine that you need additional insurance.
Each University of Copenhagen campus has a computer center (usually PCs). In addition, some departments provide computer facilities. These facilities normally are open only from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and are often closed on the weekend. In some schools it may be possible to gain longer access.
There are also some computers available at the UCPH Student Center for checking e-mails and doing other minor tasks.
UCEAP highly recommends that all students have a cell phone to use while abroad. You may be able to use your current Smartphone abroad. Check with your provider for details on your phone and plan. You will need to have your phone unlocked so that you can use a Danish SIM card. You can then purchase a Danish SIM card when you arrive in Copenhagen.
The main mobile phone companies in Denmark are Telia, TDC, Sonofon, Tele2 and Lebara. Each of these companies offer a variety of packages. Some plans even offer attractive rates on international calls. Past students advise that students purchase the same cell phone plan as their friends—calls are much cheaper when made within the same plan.
Alternatively you can purchase a disposable mobile phone when you arrive in Denmark. This will be basic, but will give you flexibility since you pay as you go.
If you own a smartphone, check with your provider about using it abroad. There are apps available for smartphones that enable very cheap or even free communication such as WhatsApp, Google Hangouts and Viber. (Read all information and contracts before signing up for any apps.) 
Skype and Google Voice are good options for Internet calls offering competitive rates.
Prior to departure, you can obtain an MCI, Sprint, or AT&T international calling card to facilitate communication with the U.S. These cards enable you to connect with an English-speaking operator. Telephone calls made through the Italian phone company generally are more expensive than those made with a calling card. Check the rates for both cell phones and land lines before you purchase.
Mail & Shipments
Do not have letters, packages or luggage sent to the Study Center. All mail must be sent directly to your residence. Therefore, do not have any mail sent prior to your arrival in Copenhagen.
Make sure to have your full name listed on your housing mail box!


Pack lightly and avoid shipping additional items to Denmark. However, if you do ship anything, packages should be sent by regular mail after you have arrived in Copenhagen. Do not declare a high value; anything with a value over 340 DKK (approximately $50) will incur hefty customs fees and taxes. Additionally, you should write “Used Goods, for use while studying abroad” on the package. This might help with customs charges, but there are no guarantees. Past students who shipped belongings were surprised to find that the inexpensive rate originally quoted for shipping did not include fees assessed in Denmark for customs, handling, and forwarding.
Take a good look at what you plan to ship and decide if the items are necessary and worth the effort and expense. Shipping computers, laptops, or cameras (especially if new) is not recommended. It may be less expensive to pay the excess baggage fee with the airline than to ship goods abroad and pay customs duty upon arrival.
Housing & Meals
Most UCEAP students will live in dorms with other international students.
Housing arrangements are made by the University of Copenhagen Housing Foundation. They will send you an invitation to apply via e-mail. The invitation to access the online system to apply for housing will be sent to both your University of Copenhagen email account and your UC email account. Access the online booking system immediately after receiving the invitation, as housing fills up quickly. Be sure to check your email regularly!
Detailed instructions are located in the Pre-Departure Checklist.
  • You will first be required to read a Booking Manual, and then confirm that you have read and understand the contents.
  • Review the housing options on the UCPH Housing Foundation website ahead of time so that you can enter your choices and submit your application quickly when you receive the invitation.
  • Students with physical disabilities should read the Disability Application.
The University of Copenhagen is not a campus-style university in the UC sense. The university does not own dormitories but has reserved a number of rooms for international students in independent dorms. 
The many different dorms vary in all aspects; they are located throughout the city, some are new and modern, and others are older with well-established student networks and traditions. The room sizes and facilities also differ greatly. All dorms have good connections by public transportation to other parts of the city and most will be within bicycle distance to the main university campus areas.
The prices can also vary significantly between the different locations. Be sure to look at the costs when you apply. 
Dormitory (kollegium) accommodations usually consist of single or double furnished rooms with private bathrooms, shared kitchens, and recreation facilities. Students are responsible for maintenance and cleaning of shared spaces in dormitories and other accommodations.
You will need your own towels, linens, blankets, and pillows. It is best to wait and purchase the necessary items in Copenhagen. Danish apartments, furniture, kitchens, and bathrooms are often different in size and shape from those in the U.S., so wait to see what you will need. Some dormitory kitchens are furnished with basic cooking utensils and dishes, and in other dormitories you will have to provide your own.
If you are in Copenhagen for the fall semester and are considering extending, it is important that you reapply for your spring housing by October 1. (It is possible to reapply for housing before making a final decision about extending to the spring program.)

Housing Payments

You are personally responsible for the cost of all room and board. Housing costs are paid directly to the University of Copenhagen Housing Foundation. Detailed information on how and when to pay for your deposit and rent will be included in your individual housing contract.
There is a booking fee of 600 DKK. You will pay 1 month's rent plus a deposit of approximately $1000 within 14 days of your acceptance of the offer. The deposit is refundable on departure if no damage has been done to your room.


Students on financial aid are responsible for paying their own housing costs. Financial aid will not automatically be transferred to Denmark—you must complete the transaction on your own by the designated deadline.
If your financial aid has not been disbursed by the deadline, you must pay out of your own pocket and reimburse your personal funds when you receive your financial aid. Plan ahead and make arrangements now!

Housing Contracts 

The UCPH Housing Foundation will send you a housing contract via email. You will have 3 days to complete and upload the signed contracts. Check both your UCPH email and UC email accounts daily!
Move-in dates vary. Housing move-in dates are in accordance with the individual contracts sent to each student. If you arrive earlier than the move-in date on your contract, you will need to stay in a hotel or hostel until your move-in date. Make sure to read the start date for your housing carefully!
*Dates in Denmark are written in the dd-mm-yyy format.  Therefore, 01-02-2017 is February 1, 2017 - NOT January 2, 2017.
Arrangements for guests should be coordinated with roommates and landlords. Long-term guests are not allowed.
Student housing at the University of Copenhagen is not run by the university but rather by private companies and student organizations. You are personally responsible for respecting the regulations governing the rental of your accommodations, such as deadlines described in the contract, cleaning of shared spaces, and limitations of guest stays. Details of these rules are provided with the housing contract.
You will not receive your grades until all outstanding bills are settled. Therefore, be sure that you do not leave Denmark without cleaning your room, paying your final rent, or taking care of any damage that may have been done to the room.
Danish students generally prepare all of their own meals since eating out, particularly in the evening, is expensive. In the afternoons, however, you can purchase a light lunch (Danish open-faced sandwiches or salad) at the university canteens for about $9.
Kollegiums have communal kitchens that students share with 10 to 15 others. All kitchens have basic cooking facilities and most kitchens have shared utensils. Students living in residence halls often organize dinner clubs in which they take turns preparing evening meals. Apart from saving you some time, dinner clubs are a lot of fun and a good way to meet other students.
Refer to the UCEAP Student Budget to help you decide what to budget per month for food. You can purchase a wide variety of good produce at neighborhood fruit and vegetable markets at a reasonable cost.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Copenhagen, like most modern cities, has its problems with commuter traffic, but it also has an extremely efficient system of public transportation. A monthly pass for unlimited local bus and train transportation costs approximately DKK 375 per month (depending on the commute from the inner-city area). While riding the trains, metro, or bus in Copenhagen, you must always carry your ticket. A hefty fine is imposed on passengers who do not have a valid pass.
Visit Copenhagen’s official tourism website for more information about transportation in and around Copenhagen.
The most common form of transportation is the bicycle. The country’s main cities and towns are also linked by a web of bike paths, so cycling is considered a very practical way of getting around. You can purchase (and later sell) used bicycles through Den bla Avis, the Danish equivalent of Craigslist, for about DKK 800. Your local supermarket may also have ads posted with bikes for sale. You can carry bikes on most trains in Denmark in designated cars. Bike riders must use bike lights after sunset. Failure to comply with regulations regarding lights, brakes, reflectors, etc. will result in a fine. A $200 fine is common for violation of traffic rules such as riding without lights at night. Biking while intoxicated is prosecuted on the same premise as driving while intoxicated.
Bike theft does occur in Copenhagen, so it is important to have a good lock. If you own an expensive bike, consider including it on your personal insurance policy. Make sure that the type of lock you use is accepted by your insurance company.
Denmark’s internal air travel system is convenient for travel between the main cities. Regional buses also service most cities and towns. Denmark’s train system has reasonable fares when booking ahead online and offers frequent service. Look for ‘Orange’ tickets or student discounts.
In Denmark, automobiles are driven on the right-hand side of the road, seat belt use is mandatory, and drivers are required to carry a warning triangle. If you intend to drive a car while in Denmark, be sure to know the traffic rules and regulations of the country as they do differ from U.S. rules.
The Øresundsforbindelsen (Øresund Fixed Link), a system comprising 7.5 miles of bridges and tunnels for trains and cars connecting Malmö in southern Sweden and Copenhagen, has given the Danish capital city a convenient link to the rest of Scandinavia.
Extracurricular Activities

Volunteer Opportunities

UCEAP students have engaged in volunteer opportunities in Copenhagen such as The Food Bank, homework help for underprivileged children, soup kitchens, etc. If you are interested in volunteering, the Study Center is available to help you with suggestions on how to get connected.
Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve your language skills, and integrate more fully into the community. Join clubs, sports, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations, attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles, and get the most out of your time abroad.
Opportunities are not limited to those mentioned in this guide. This section discusses just a few of the many activities past students have enjoyed.

Meeting Others

The international student organization Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is active at University of Copenhagen and offers a variety of excursions and social events throughout the year. Visit the ESN website for more information.
A good way to meet Danes is to participate in one of the many creative courses offered at municipal night schools in drawing, painting, photography, languages, etc. These courses cost about DKK 1.600 per semester.
There are hundreds of museums and galleries in Copenhagen. Many have free admission at least one day of the week (most often on Wednesdays) and student discounts on the other days.
All about Copenhagen is a good online resource for information about cultural events and local activities.


All students enrolled at the University of Copenhagen are automatically members of Studenterhuset, one of the main student meeting places at the university. The university student card serves as an admittance card to Studenterhuset, and entitles students to beverage discounts in the bar and admission discounts at concerts. Studenterhuset is centrally located and also hosts the International Café on Wednesdays.


You can participate in the sporting life at the University of Copenhagen by joining the University’s Sports Association (USG). The USG is an organization for all students in Copenhagen and has about 6,000 members. It is designed to provide students with a wide variety of sporting opportunities including, but not limited to, water polo, ballet, basketball, soccer, handball, fencing, squash, climbing, and yoga. These activities are located all around Copenhagen to accommodate students who live in different parts of the city. The price is about $120 for one academic year.
Students with Disabilities
Students with physical and learning disabilities should be aware of a number of considerations when planning to study at the University of Copenhagen. In Denmark, students with disabilities are under the care of the regional county and not of the university. This means that without a Danish CPR number, students with disabilities cannot expect to receive much help (see the following Insurance section). Once you obtain a CPR number you can get limited public assistance. You may also need to have adequate resources to pay for assistance from the private sector. Students with mobility disabilities should also remember that much of Copenhagen and the university itself are old and were not built by contemporary standards. Many of the streets are made of cobblestones, and the older buildings of the university can be difficult to access, as there are not many elevators.
All forms of public transportation have accommodations for persons with disabilities, though many buildings are not easily accessible. Getting to the bus stop or train station can be difficult. Not all student halls have rooms that are designated for those with physical disabilities.
For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the U.S.), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad

Working Abroad

Your student Residence Permit for Denmark also includes permission to work part time. You may work no more than 20 hours per week. Past students have tutored high school or primary school kids in English and have also worked in cafés, shops, and even the post office. Some students have also earned minimum wage working as lab assistants for professors. University of Copenhagen has an online Project and Job Bank that may be helpful for finding a job.
Danish Tax Card and Personal Tax Number
If you work in Denmark, you have to pay income tax if you earn more than a certain amount. Therefore, you will need a tax card. The amount of tax you pay depends on your salary and your tax deductions and allowances. The tax allowance is DKK 30,000 in 2017, meaning you will be allowed to earn up to DKK 30,000 per year before paying tax in Denmark. You will always have to pay labour market contributions (AM-bidrag) which are 8% of your salary.
You can apply for a tax card online. Information about tax payment for students in Denmark can be found on SKAT information webpage.
LGBTIQ Students
​There are no known safety and security issues of concern for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals in Denmark. The LGBT community is protected by anti-discrimination laws, and there are no legal or governmental impediments to the organization of LGBT events.
​For more information,
Travel During the Program
The UCEAP Student Budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Copenhagen’s location makes travel outside Denmark, near and far, convenient. The Danish International Student Committee (DISC) runs a student travel agency, Kilroy Travels, which offers student discounts. Students can also find reasonable package deals through Danish travel agencies.
Familiarize yourself with the UCEAP Student Travel Policy, which prohibits travel to places identified by the U.S. Department of State as ones to be avoided for safety reasons.
While travel opportunities may be tempting, do not allow your travels to interfere with coursework or needed study time. Opportunities for travel are plentiful and UCEAP does not wish to discourage you from taking advantage of them. However, it is expected that you will attend all class sessions and adhere to your program’s absentee policy at all times. As stipulated in the UCEAP Student Agreement, you must regularly attend all classes for which you are registered, and must conform to all applicable rules. Do not underestimate the amount of independent work that may be expected of you to succeed in your classes. When class is not in session, you are still expected to work; the time is to be used preparing for the next class and working on independent papers or projects.
Failure to abide by UCEAP travel guidelines or the Student Agreement may be cause for dismissal from the program.
UCEAP Insurance
For more information about medical and non-medical benefits, read the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy Brochure.
You need to pay for services and file a claim to be reimbursed. Medical claims processing time is about four to six weeks after the claim and receipts are received. Keep photocopies of all documentation submitted.

Know Before you Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy.  Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP travel insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. Your travel insurance policy number is ADDN 04834823.  It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
There is no deductible or co-insurance but the travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis.  You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses.  For more information about the medical claim proces or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance.  Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country).  It is your responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits and Claims Status

ACI at

Danish National Health System
If you reside in Denmark for more than three months and hold a residence permit and have a CPR number, you are automatically insured by the Danish National Health system. You must apply for a CPR number to sign up for the health system. (See the Insurance section of the UCPH website.) Enrollment includes the selection of a general practitioner (GP) from a list provided.
Students insured by the Danish National System should go to their designated GP first when ill. Illness that requires treatment but occurs outside of the GP’s office hours and is not serious enough for an emergency ward can be treated by contacting the Emergency Doctor Service. If you are covered by the Danish National Health System, these services are free. If you are not covered by the Danish National Health System, you can use the same facilities but will have to pay for the service and submit a claim through the UCEAP insurance provider.
The Danish National Health System covers all visits to the GP and to emergency wards, including hospital costs and treatment by specialists if you have a referral from the GP. The National Health Service does not cover dental work, psychologists, or pharmaceuticals. You can use your UCEAP insurance for these. Non-emergency vaccinations are not covered.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Excellent medical facilities are widely available in Denmark.
In Denmark, pharmacies (called an Apotek in Danish) have exclusive rights to sell prescription-only medicines to consumers. Likewise, a great number of over-the-counter medicines are only permitted for sale in pharmacies. A Danish pharmacy is run by a private individual, the proprietary pharmacist, who has been licensed by the Danish state to run a pharmacy at a specific location. Almost all pharmacies have English-speaking staff.  
Shops outside the pharmacy sector can obtain authorization to sell over-the-counter (OTC) medicines that are suitable for sale outside pharmacies. It is the Danish Health and Medicines Authority which decides whether a medicine can be sold at these shops.
Physical Health
If you feel sick or have a medical emergency once abroad, you should seek medical attention immediately and contact the Study Center as soon as possible. Study Center staff can facilitate contact to clinics or specialists, and provide guidance with the insurance claim process.
There is health center at the University of Copenhagen. There is medical and emergency information on the Health and Safety section of the UCPH website that include hospital information, 24-hour pharmacies, psychiatric emergency care, and after-hours dentists. Bookmark the website for easy access.
In case of acute health problems, dial 112 for emergency help.  Provide as much detail as possible:  Where are you? What has happened? How many are injured and what is their condition? What telephone number are you calling from? 
Medical Service Helpline
Call the 24/7 medical helpline at 1813. If you are calling from outside Denmark, dial the country code +45 before dialing 1813.

Know Before you Go

Inform yourself before you travel.  Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care.  Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications
Generally, any type of medication, that contains amphetamine, benzodiazepine, methylphenidate, and other psychoactive drug, has import restrictions in Denmark. Only a supply for 14 days is allowed through Danish customs. All prescriptions must be kept in their original container with your name on it.
If your doctor cannot switch you to a different medication and it is necessary for you to have more than a 14-day supply of U.S. prescription medications that are considered illegal in Denmark (e.g., some ADHD medications that contain amphetamines), you must apply for an exemption (dispensation) through the Danish Medicines Agency to import medicine into Denmark. Applying for an exemption does not guarantee that an exemption will be made and it is a long process. This decision is entirely up to the Danish Medicines Agency. For further inquiries, contact the Danish Medicines Agency:
Danish Medicines Agency
Axel Heides Gade 1
DK-2300 København S ​
Phone (general inquiries): +45 44889595
Fax: + 45 44889599
Hours (Danish time): Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
If you have a current prescription/note from your doctor, a local Danish doctor may consider issuing you a Danish prescription for the same medication, if available in Denmark. Danish law requires you to obtain a prescription from a local Danish doctor.
After arrival and registration with the Danish health service, you will receive a CPR number (Danish Civil Registration number). With this number, you can make an appointment with a Danish doctor. You will need an extra copy of your U.S. prescription including the generic name of all medications you are currently taking as brand names may be different. Bring a doctor’s letter listing your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen. Start this process at the beginning of the program to allow time for a few consultations, if necessary. Do not wait until you need a new prescription. The Danish doctor will decide whether or not you will need the prescription  in Denmark, not yourself, or your U.S. treating physician. Most doctors in Denmark will follow the recommendation of the home doctor

Is your Medication Available in Denmark?

You can consult this Danish official website with your doctor to find out if medications are available in Denmark and to consider potential substitutes.
To use the Danish (MedicinPriser.DK) website in consultation with your treating doctor:
  1. Click on the English link that is on the right side of the screen between the words Søg and Print.
  2. Search for active substances instead of brand names of the medication you use. (Active substances may be available; brand name for your medication may not.) Active substances will help your doctor know whether a generic drug is available.
  3. If the medication is labeled "discontinued", it is not available in Denmark.
  4. With this information, your doctor will be able to give you better advice whether or not to switch medications in Denmark.

Mailing medications

Sending prescription or over-the-counter medications by mail is prohibited. They will be confiscated by Danish customs’ control.
Mental Health
The University of Copenhagen has a limited counseling service that is free of charge, and all students enrolled are eligible for this service. Only under serious and specific circumstances does the Danish National Health System cover expenses for psychologists. Psychiatrists are included in the Danish National Health System and, as with all other specialists, you must receive a referral through a general practitioner (GP).
The UCEAP health insurance covers consultations with any licensed psychologist.  For acute mental health emergencies, contact the nearest emergency ward or call the “mobile doctor.” This service is covered by the Danish National Health System after registering with the Danish Civil Registration Office (CPR).
If at any time you need support to cope, contact the university’s International Office or the UCEAP Study Center for assistance and referrals. If you are experiencing anxiety or don't know how serious your condition is, call the 24/7 helpline at 1813.
If you are currently in treatment in the U.S., discuss your UCEAP program details with your doctor so you can work on a plan in case you need to reach out for care. If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician before departure about getting the supply you need for going abroad.  For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.​

Your mental health is important to us all. Create a plan with your treating doctor. Managing your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a pre-existing condition – is something every person must think about when going abroad. Being away from usual stress at home can sometimes be a relief when abroad; experiencing new adventures can be a useful distraction. You will also have times when you feel confused, uncomfortable, annoyed, and many of the same emotions that you manage in your daily life at home.
Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.

You may feel homesick or sad. Feeling down, anxious, homesick, depressed or stressed might be your body’s reaction to the new environment and different life away from your usual support network. Don't cope alone.  Reach out for help to the local UCEAP program staff and your friends.  If you have been feeling unhappy for longer than a few days, or it is staring to affect your enjoyment of life and/or your studies, then you should see a doctor immediately.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at
Health Risks
​Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Community sanitation is generally good. Health concerns related to food and beverages are minimal.
Food Allergies
Students with severe food allergies should take precautions, as the cuisine may include ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis in those affected. A language barrier increases the risks associated with severe food allergies. 
Precautions to take include:
  • Research the local cuisine. Be aware that some popular local sauces may contain nuts.
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor six to eight weeks before departure to discuss your treatment plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need to prevent an adverse reaction like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, with your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions for assistance in both English and the local language. Wearing medical identification at all times can help should a life-threatening reaction occur.
  • Tell others about your food allergy.
  • Carry a card written in English and the local language explaining what foods cause allergies and possible reaction. Make several copies in case you lose one. Be sure to have a native speaker verify that you have written everything correctly.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Air Quality
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
In addition to the following chapter, read the Safety chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, which provides useful reminders and easy reference chapters that you should consult before departure and while abroad. Protecting yourself will require your careful planning and commitment. Also, the University of Copenhagen website includes important safety information that you should read before departure.

You play an active role in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. Consider an action plan.

With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing personal risks. Take time to assess the risks, plan ahead to reduce them, and think how you would lessen the consequences if things go wrong. Start by outlining activities you plan to engage in through your program and/or during independent travel; label the risk and rate it based on the likelihood of harm and the severity of consequences. Consider measures you can take to reduce the severity and chance. Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and has contracted with emergency assistance and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. 
Be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate and unpredictable terrorist attacks, which make it impossible to protect yourself from. Remain vigilant in all public areas in your UCEAP city and country and wherever you travel. Many terrorist groups, seeking publicity for political causes within their own country or region, are not looking for student or higher education targets.

Terrorist attacks using vehicles are very hard to prevent and appear to be on the rise. If you are in a crowded public place, know how you can exit quickly, identify barriers or safe places where you can shelter-in-place, and watch out for any vehicles that appear to be going at very high speed.

Report anything suspicious to local authorities.  Read all security-related correspondence and advice from local staff.  Schedule direct flights, if possible.  Avoid stops in high-risk airports or areas. Minimize time spent in the public area of an airport, which is a less protected area.  Keep a mental note of safe havens, such as police stations, hotels, and hospitals. Have a plan for what you will do in the case of an emergency.  If you are ever caught in a situation where somebody starts shooting, follow the active shooter guidelines: drop to the floor, get down as low as possible, and hide if possible.  Cover yourself behind a solid object. Silence your phone. Do not move until the danger has passed.

Steps to manage or minimize risk and enhance your personal safety

  • Familiarize yourself with all UCEAP resources and emergency support services while on UCEAP.

  • Assess your surroundings.  Learn to recognize danger.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones.

  • When entering larger venues, always decide on a meeting place with those you are with just in case you get separated. Always identify possible exits.

  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Assess reasonable and safe options. Trust your "gut feelings"; if you feel threatened, act if safe to do so and leave the area immediately. Find somewhere more secure.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter before you travel. 
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking. Know your limits. In many countries beer, wine and liquor in some countries contains a higher alcohol content than similar products in the U.S. Know what you are drinking and how much alcohol it contains.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?
Register online with the U.S. embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
Read the UCEAP the Guide to Study Abroad, Safety Chapter  for more information on how to prepare to have a safe experience and access the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.
Crime & Prevention
Even though the number of violent assaults reported in Denmark has grown significantly in Copenhagen in the last four years, according to figures from Danmarks Statistik, the U.S. Embassy considers that Denmark remains a relatively safe, secure country.

Pick pocketing can be an issue in some public areas such as on buses and trains and in and around popular tourist areas. Local pickpockets operate in teams of two or three, with one or more distracting the victim while another steals the victims valuables. The majority of these crimes occur in the summer months around heavily trafficked tourist sites. 
Pay attention and follow your instincts, if something is not right – use your common sense, as you would do in any other big city.

Preventing Theft

The best theft prevention tip is to use common sense:

Do not

  • leave your bike unlocked
  • leave doors and windows unlocked
  • carry a lot of cash or jewelry
  • walk in isolated areas (parks, underground tunnels) alone, especially after dark
  • be too accessible to strangers
The University of Copenhagen does not have a special security program. You are responsible for your own safety and security. The University of Copenhagen does not provide a special transport service. However, subway and bus services within the city of Copenhagen are exceptionally dependable and safe to use.
Police and public authority CCTV monitoring is on the rise to prevent crimes in high risk areas; recently, cameras were installed on Strøget (the well-known pedestrian shopping street) in Copenhagen. Cameras are also installed in train stations, on S-trains, and on the metro.

Criminal Penalties

Persons violating Denmark’s laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Denmark are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Possessing knives with a locking blade longer than seven centimeters (2.75 inches) in a public place carries an immediate jail sentence. 

Police Response

Most police officers are fluent in English. Police assistance throughout Denmark is generally very good. The police are well trained, professional, competent, and have adequate resources to conduct thorough investigations. Denmark is well-known as a country with very little corruption. Danish police pride themselves in taking proactive approaches to crime and violence. Under Danish law, the police are permitted to detain someone for up to eight hours without charge.
Civil Unrest
Demonstrations and acts of civil disobedience are generally limited and peaceful in Denmark. The Danish authorities require all demonstrations to have a permit. Students are strongly advised to avoid any type of demonstration, as these may quickly turn violent. 
Traffic & Transportation Safety

Current Travel Concerns

As a consequence of the ongoing refugee and humanitarian crisis in Europe, temporary border controls have been instituted. As of January 4, 2016, travelers from Denmark to Sweden may be subject to passport controls. In reaction to Sweden implementing border controls, Denmark announced it will also institute border controls with Germany to prevent a significant increase in migration to Denmark.​

General Travel within Denmark

Denmark has an extensive and efficient public transportation system. Trains, buses, and ferries connect Copenhagen with other major cities in Denmark and with Norway, Sweden, Poland, and Germany.

Public transportation services in Copenhagen are safe, extensive, efficient and reliable. Trains, buses and ferries connect Copenhagen with other major cities in Denmark and to Norway, Sweden, and Germany. Nevertheless, use common sense and take security precautions. If traveling with bags, keep them in sight at all times.

Traveling by Bicycle

Denmark is a very bicycle friendly country, and there are bicycle lanes throughout the country, usually paralleling vehicular lanes. There are about 5,2 million bicycles in Denmark - and 1,2 million in Copenhagen.  Almost 200,000 Copenhageners commute to work every day. This can cause issues for people unfamiliar with the area or if people are not continually alert when driving or biking. Traffic laws are strictly enforced. 
Many students in Copenhagen get around the city on bicycles. It is a fast, cheap, and efficient mode of transport to classes, the supermarket, the movies, etc. The traffic on the bicycle lanes is intense and at high speed. Make sure that your bicycle has the right safety gear and wear a helmet. If buying a second-hand bike, you can ask to have it checked at a bicycle store.  
  • Observe other cyclists and learn to signal in the traffic.
  • Basic rules when cycling in the city:
    • Keep right and always use the bicycle tracks, when available.
    • Know the traffic signs so you know what you are expected to do
    • Use hand signals when turning right or left or stopping. In Denmark there are no right turns on red.
    • Only one person is allowed on a cycle; riding side by side is permitted.
    • Stop at bus stops and allow passengers to enter or depart the bus.

For more information, access The Comprehensive Guide to Cycling in Denmark.

Gang Activity

Gang Activity in Copenhagen

Some neighborhoods experience less crime than others, but no neighborhood is crime free. Even quiet, historically safe communities are apt to face a crime threat at some point.

There have been a number of recent gang-related shootings in the city, particularly related to the “Loyal to Familia” group in the neighborhoods of Nørrebro and Mjølnerparken. The violence has been heavily concentrated in these districts – with most incidents having taken place in Nørrebro – and is currently not widespread throughout the city. Most victims have been gang members, although there have been a few cases of bystanders being caught up in the violence. Residents in Nørrebro held a peaceful rally Aug. 14 to protest against gang violence in the area, which passed without incident.

In general, gangs are a group of people who form an allegiance for a common purpose and engage in violent, unlawful, or criminal activity.

The Danish Government has launched several initiatives to combat gang activity. Danish police have implemented new strategies, including increased police presence; 24-7 mobile police stations throughout the city; targeted policing against gangs in residential areas; stop-and-search zone in parts of the city, which allows police officers to stop anyone within the area without cause, including Amager Island, Nørrebro, Husum, Brønshøj and Bispebjerg districts.

Local authorities’ response to gang-related violence in past years has been mostly successful, and the current crackdown will likely quickly abate the current increase in shootings. .

The Embassy advises travelers to be cautious in the neighborhoods of Nørrebro and Christiania. Nørrebro is a less affluent area with higher levels of violent street crime, narcotics dealing, and gang activity. Local gang conflicts in Nørrebro and adjoining neighborhoods occasionally result in violence. Visitors to the Free Town of Christiania, a self-proclaimed autonomous neighborhood in the Christianshavn section of Copenhagen, should also exercise caution.​

If you encounter any gang activity close to you, don't be confrontational. Looking briefly to show that you recognize their presence is okay. The last thing that you want to do is show any disrespect or disapproval.
  • At night, travel only well-lighted and well-traveled streets. Avoid walking alone through dimly lit streets, or through the Fælledparken after dark. 
  • Remain vigilant walking after dark through Nørrebro and Mjølnerparken districts, even on high-traffic streets
  • Listen to yourself when a situation feels uncomfortable, it is your mind trying to stay out of harm's way. Don’t argue, minimize or rationalize yourself into potential danger. Deal with reality and don’t deny the danger.
  • If stopped by police, be respectful and compliant.
Local & International Terrorism Threats/Concerns
The government of Denmark currnetly ranks the threat of terrorism "high" indicating there is a strong liklihood of a terrorist event occuring. 

In 2015, a Danish citizen, Omar Abdel Hamid, opened fire at a public event called “Art, Blasphemy and Freedom of Expression” that debated depicting images of the Prophet Mohammed. One person was killed, and three police officers were wounded.

Later, Hamid shot and killed a security guard outside Copenhagen’s Main Synagogue after a bat mitzvah celebration where he wounded two police officers. The gunman was killed a few hours later in a shoot-out with police in the Nørrebro community.

The call for self-radicalization, whether disseminated on extremist forums, or via the broader approach via social media continue to be a global concern. It is difficult to determine which message will inspire a violent extremist.

Anti-American/Anti-Western Sentiment

Denmark is generally free from anti-U.S. sentiment. Unlike most other countries, it is common for many people, both Danes and Americans, to wear shirts, hats, and jackets with logos and names of U.S. universities, sports teams, and companies, all without concern of any backlash from the general population.​
Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment

Emergency Assistance

The Centre for Victims of Sexual Assault provides emergency assistance – for men and women who have been subjected to rape or attempted rape. The Centre provides assistance regardless of whether you wish to report the assault to the police. The Centre is open 24 hours a day, and no appointment is necessary. It is best to call the nurse at 35 45 50 32 before coming in. It is important to go to the Centre within 72 hours of the assault if at all possible or at any time after the assault.
Examination and treatment are free and voluntary, subject to strict confidentiality.
(Center for voldtægtsofre)
Entrance 5, 3rd floor, section 5032
Blegdamsvej 9 – also entrance from Juliane Maries Vej
DK-2100 Copenhagen East

Tel: +45 35 45 50 32

Every member of the UCEAP community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual violence and sexual harassment, retaliation, and other prohibited behavior (“Prohibited Conduct”) that violates law and/or University policy. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of Prohibited Conduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct, and when necessary, to discipline behavior that violates this Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Report to the local
UCEAP staff and/or partners if you suspect one of these behaviors has occurred.
Fire Safety
Know where the emergency exits and fire extinguishers are located.
Follow these general fire safety tips. Most college-related fires in the U.S. are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
Fire - Dial 112
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the U.S. Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Warning after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, U.S. Embassy, U.S. Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy voluntary departure on U.S. government-arranged flights, that require U.S. citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP, is covered by UCEAP insurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the U.S.

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.
If you are abroad
Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:
  • If you need immediate emergency assistance:
    • Call 112  for Ambulance, or Fire Department. This is the equivalent of 911 in the U.S.
    • Call 114 for Police assistance. The police are well trained and professional, and they have adequate resources. Almost all officers speak English fluently.
  • If necessary, call the emergency number of the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen: (011 45) 33 41 71 00

    U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen
    Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
    2100 København Ø
  • After hours call: (011 45) 33 41 74 00 
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.