Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Add 9 hours
Berlin Immersion

Free University Berlin
Humboldt University Berlin
Technical University Berlin

- Fall
- Pre-ILP + Fall
- Pre-ILP + Spring
- Pre-ILP + Year
- Spring
- Spring (Advanced Only)
- Year
This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information  

Program Advisor
Hannah Vander Sal
Phone: (805) 893-4255; E-mail:
Program Specialist
Katerina Georgieva
Phone: (805) 893-4255; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Lauren Nestler
Phone: (805) 893-4683; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Gildas Halle
Phone: (805) 893-2761; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583


UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Pre-Departure Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP Germany page.

Study Center Abroad

The UCEAP Study Center is located in Berlin. Staff at the Study Center are on hand to advise on academic matters, assist with housing, provide information on cultural and social activities, and help address other concerns. Staff routinely monitor local and international conditions, and provide support, counseling, and safety advisories.
UCEAP Study Centers are supported by UC, a network of UCEAP offices at every UC campus, and partnerships with UCEAP host universities throughout the world. The UCEAP network also includes local U.S. embassies and consulates, the U.S. Department of State, and other international student exchange programs at each site.

Study Center Contact Information

Berlin Study Center
Ehrenbergstr. 26/28
14195 Berlin
Phone (calling from the U.S.): (011 49) 30 83 85 70 91
Phone (calling from Germany): 030 83 85 70 91

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code .............011    (dial this to call from the U.S.)
Germany country code ............. 49
Berlin city code........................ 30

Approximate Time difference

Add 9 hours
Academic Information
Program Overview

Pre-Intensive Language Program (Pre-ILP)

If you need additional German instruction to meet the language prerequisite requirements you can enroll in the Pre-ILP prior to your semester or year in Berlin. The Pre-ILP is specifically designed to provide the equivalent of second-year language proficiency.  You are placed in the appropriate language level after taking an online placement test and completing a short oral interview on the first day of class.
To participate in the summer Pre-ILP you must have completed three quarters/two semesters of university level German. Summer Pre-ILP classes are held daily, Monday through Friday. You receive 10 quarter/6.6 semester UC units on the summer Pre-ILP. The course is graded on letter grade basis only. The summer intensive program is offered through FUBiS, an affiliate of Free University.
To participate in the winter Pre-ILP you must have completed four quarters/three semesters of university level German.  Winter Pre-ILP classes are held Monday through Friday. You receive 7 quarter/4.7 semester UC units on the winter Pre-ILP. The course is graded on P/NP basis only. If you need a letter grade for your course, you must put your request in writing and meet in person with the Faculty Director at the beginning of the program to discuss your options. The winter intensive program is offered through the Goethe-Institut, Berlin.
If you receive a B- or below as the final pre-ILP grade, you will be required to meet with the Study Center representative to discuss progress and conditions of continuation.

Intensive Language Program (ILP)

You will participate in the intensive language program (ILP) before the regular semester begins. The ILP concentrates on providing an introduction to German contemporary culture and history, and developing German writing, conversation, and grammar skills. The ILP also prepares you for the demands of regular university course work. If you receive a grade of B- or below in the ILP you will be required to take an additional language course during the semester. You will receive 8 quarter/5.4 semester UC units on the ILP.
If you are on the Spring advanced program you will not be participating in the ILP.

Fall, Spring, and Year Program 

During the semester you attend regular university courses at Free, Humboldt, or Technical in a wide range of fields. Instruction is usually in German, although some courses taught in English may be available. Technical University specializes in sciences, math, engineering, environmental studies, and architecture. While most disciplines are equally available at Free University and Humboldt University, there are some differences in their curricula and specialization. For a detailed comparison please refer to UC Subject Areas at Free University and Humboldt University.
Academic Culture
Academic organization in German universities differs from that of the UC system. For example, there are no general education or breadth requirements. When German students enroll in a university, they are generally at the equivalent of upper-division level within their chosen field of study. They have already attended a university-preparatory high school or Gymnasium (some of which still include a 13th grade). The last two or three years of this school are more or less equivalent to lower-division college work in the U.S.
At the university, German students choose a Fach (major subject) and follow a prescribed course of study that typically does not involve courses in other fields. Students are allowed to choose their Fach based on the results of a highly competitive exam taken (the Abitur) at the end of the Gymnasium (the college preparatory high school).

Course Structure

University courses take the form of Vorlesungen, Übungen, Proseminare, and Hauptseminare. Vorlesungen are similar to American lecture courses, although discussion sections are often optional (be sure to check with your instructor). Übungen and Proseminare are similar to discussion sessions or seminars in which professors lead lectures and discussions. In Proseminare, students are encouraged to participate in discussions and are often required to present material to the group. Hauptseminare, similar to Proseminare, are more advanced and comparable to graduate-level seminars in America. UCEAP undergraduate students normally do not enroll in Hauptseminare.
With the introduction of the bachelor degree, most courses are now organized into modules. A module is usually composed of two or more components (e.g. a lecture and a seminar), and German students have to complete both components in order to receive a grade for the whole module. International students are commonly allowed to take individual components for a letter grade, but there have been exceptions, most notably with the “Institut für deutsche Literatur” and “Institut für deutsche Sprache und Linguistik” at Humboldt University, where students do have to take all module components and receive a single grade.
Class sizes can vary from five students to hundreds of students depending on the course. Class formats may include lectures, seminars, labs, or tutorials. A typical seminar will have between twenty to thirty students; however, the more popular seminars can have fifty students or more.
Classes typically meet once a week. If a class has different components, such as a lecture plus a section/tutorial or a lecture plus a lab, these might occur on different days of the week. There is a type of course called a “Blockseminar” which meets for one or more “blocks” of class throughout the term instead of on a weekly basis.
The German university system requires students to study independently. Study groups are not as common as in the U.S. but students may organize them on their own. One of the greatest academic challenges for past UCEAP students has been learning the self-discipline required for the German academic system. Because there are few or no assignments during the semester and few hours in class per week, some UCEAP students initially think that studying in Germany is easy. This may become problematic when those students have not prepared themselves for the final exam or have not started their research paper early enough. If you have a high degree of self-motivation you will do well in the German university system.

Libraries and Textbooks

Your required readings will be assigned to you once you are enrolled in your courses in Germany. Many classes require students to buy a “reader” (which combines readings from different authors) instead of or in addition to textbooks. A number of university courses have a reserves shelf with the required readings in the library, the Handapparat. Although many readings will be assigned in German texts, some UCEAP students find it helpful to take their English textbooks as reference tools.
A good, comprehensive dictionary is important to have while abroad. Langenscheidt and Pons are two good German-English dictionaries. Good online German-English dictionaries that are easy to use are the Leo Deutsch-Englisch Wörterbuch and
You can use all university libraries free of charge by registering with the libraries outside your host institution. The national library and the public libraries often have copies of books if they are unavailable in the university libraries; student membership cards are inexpensive. Most libraries have quiet study areas.


You should not be shy about approaching instructors who, as in the US, have office hours that you can attend. Remember to be persistent in discussing evaluations and grading with your professors throughout the semester.
Course Information
Course offerings and exact course descriptions for the year are usually not available until after arrival; do not expect specific courses to be offered each year. A good source for relevant course information is the MyEAP Course Catalog, which outlines courses students have previously taken. In addition to the courses in the catalog, other new courses will be available, and you are encouraged to visit classes, talk with other students and professors, and choose your courses carefully.
You are allowed to take 1 course at the UCEAP-affiliated universities other than the one you are attending: Free University, Humboldt University, or Technical University. However, you should take the majority of your courses at the host university you applied for.
Each semester Free University offers a selection of courses focusing on German culture and history that are designed specifically for international students. Many of these courses can be cross-listed for different departments in the UCEAP course catalog (German, History, Political Science, Architecture etc.) so they can be widely applicable towards requirements on your home campus. Students in the past have enjoyed these courses and have appreciated taking a course with a distinctively German perspective. Humboldt University has a similar program, however the majority of these classes are offered in English. These courses can be identified in the MyEAP Course Catalog by CFS (Courses for Foreign Students) in the far right-hand column.


You must complete a minimum of 18 quarter/12 semester UC units each semester; most students take at least four courses each semester.

Pass/No Pass

You can take 1 course per semester for P/NP.

Taking Courses in English 

You are allowed to take two courses per semester taught in English at your host institution. If you have substantive academic reasons for taking more than two courses in English (i.e., the course fulfills a major requirement, the course offers a unique opportunity taught by a visiting professor, etc.) please consult with the UC Study Center about an exception to this policy. If you are a student at Technical University, please consult with the UC Study Center while registering for courses, you may be eligible for an exemption to this requirement.

Registering for Courses

You will register for your courses after you arrive in Berlin. You will use the Vorlesungsverzeichnis and the departmental Kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis to select courses that you think will fit well with your academic goals. You will use the first few weeks to attend the first lecture of any courses that you may want to take. You should go to as many lectures as possible in the first two weeks so that you have lots to choose from. A sign-up list is usually passed around and you need to make sure your name is on that list. Increasingly, online registration is also being used; however, the online systems at the Berlin Universities are not used by all departments and they are not as advanced as the UC online course registration systems.
When you are looking through courses, you may encounter various categories of classes, including Bachelor or Master Studiengänge (degrees)​, as well as different levels of difficulty. These categories are for normal degree students, and normally the requirements and restrictions for signing up for these courses do not apply to exchange students. You should be aware that Hauptseminare and Master courses are taught at the graduate level. You must get permission from UCEAP in order to take these courses and the professor needs to verify that you have the necessary prerequisites to take the course.
Getting into classes differs from university to university, from department to department, and from professor to professor. You need to make sure that you introduce yourself to the professor of your courses so that you can register for the course properly. You will receive additional information on the registration process at your Academic Advising meeting in Berlin.
Contact your instructors at the very beginning of the term to find out what is required to obtain a benoteten Schein (a paper certificate with a grade). The Study Center will subsequently be in contact with the instructors to explain your status and request grades, but it is essential that you have an initial conversation with the professor to find out the requirements, as they vary depending on the class. You will be informed about the procedure and urged to follow up with the instructor to ensure timely grade reporting.
For students in the Humanities and Social Sciences, final term papers in Germany are usually extensive papers requiring research and citation. Oftentimes students encounter problems because they do not understand the academic nature that their papers should have. Professors have commented that UCEAP students have merely reviewed or repeated information rather than doing research and then organizing their own arguments and drawing their own conclusions. The Study Center conducts a mandatory tutorial on how to properly write a term paper in Germany. Students should take this tutorial very seriously and apply it to their final work for their courses.
The German academic calendar begins late in the fall and examination periods extend much longer than is typical for a UC campus (the exam period runs through March for the fall semester and September for the spring semester). Due to this late end date, grades are generally not posted until May for the fall semester and October/November for the spring semester. Every effort is made to process the academic records as soon as possible, but do not expect to apply for graduation or have UC transcripts available until the quarter or semester following your participation on the program.  
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Internships for academic credit may be available in Berlin. Germany has recently implemented labor laws that restrict the hours that students can work as unpaid interns. You must consult with the Study Center if you are participating in an internship for credit to ensure that you are adhering to the local labor laws.

Internships are primarily for yearlong students because companies are more willing to take on interns if they can commit to an internship period of more than 6 months. There may be a few opportunities to do a semester-length internship but most companies are looking for a longer commitment. If you are on the spring semester program you can consider staying after the semester ends to continue your internship into the summer. 

If you are interested in participating in an internship you should begin by identifying the fields that you would like to work in and developing a resume or CV that you can bring with you to Berlin. If you have a specific internship you are interested in you can do the preliminary research on your own and contact companies to see if they are taking on interns. You should email the Faculty Director prior to departure so that they are aware of your particular interests. You should plan on meeting with the Faculty Director during the ILP to discuss internship options. If you wait until the semester has started, it is often too late to find a suitable placement. 
Although the study center is available for advice and may be able to set up interviews for you, you will be expected to put in a lot of individual work into your internship. Providers will expect you to be motivated and have clear goals of what you want to get out of your internship experience. Once you have been accepted into an internship position you can work closely with your supervisor to define your job duties, goals, and expected outcomes. Most internship placements are secured after you are onsite in Berlin.
Organizations typically expect students to work 20 or more hours per week at their internship. Details depend on your individual academic situation and semester plan. If you are doing an internship for credit it can take the place of one regular university course. You will be required to submit a final project to the Study Center Director at the end of the semester. All internships are graded on P/NP basis only. Internships for credit cannot be paid. 

You are allowed to participate in a paid internship if you are able to secure one. Paid internships cannot replace a regular university course so you will need to do the internship on top of a regular course load. Please note that the Faculty Director and Study Center Staff are not responsible for finding paid internship positions. 

Students have worked in several organizations in Berlin including privately owned small businesses, non-governmental organizations, museums, international media companies, startup tech companies, and law offices. For more information on internship opportunities, see the Internship information on our website.

There are also opportunities to do volunteer work in Berlin in social, political, and other fields.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Extending your UCEAP participation may be possible. If you are considering extending, submit a Departmental and College Pre-Approval to Extend (DPA) form prior to departure. The UCEAP Systemwide Office and the Study Center must approve your extension request. To initiate the extension process once abroad, make an appointment with the Study Center.
To extend, the UCEAP Systemwide Office must receive one of the following:
Deadlines to Submit Extension Forms:
  • Berlin fall immersion (HU, TU, or FU) to Berlin year immersion: November 15
Approval is based on a number of factors, including academic performance, the support of your UC campus department, language acquisition, progress, and available space at the host institution.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your home campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus EAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take with regard to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter of the
UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Cultural Awareness
Get Acquainted
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. Travel guides and travel-related websites such as Lonely Planet are excellent resources.
Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers, magazines, and journals, and try to understand the local culture and history.

Travel Guides

Popular travel guides for Germany and surrounding countries are Let’s Go: Europe, produced by Harvard’s Student Agencies; Lonely Planet’s Germany; and Frommer’s and Michelin Guides (great recommendations for sightseeing and accommodations).
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
Attendance at all orientation sessions is mandatory (per the UCEAP Student Agreement, Section 10). If you miss the Study Center orientation, you may be dismissed from UCEAP.
Your program begins at a predetermined place, time, and date. If you fail to appear on the Official Program Start Date, you are subject to dismissal from the program (Student Agreement, Section 10). The Official Program Start Date is provided in the program calendar, which you can access via your Participants program page. You can find more detailed arrival information on the Arrival Information sheet in the UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist.
Your program will begin with an orientation at the UCEAP Study Center in Berlin. Pre-ILP students will also have a mandatory orientation at FUBiS (pre-ILP + fall or year) or the Goethe-Institut Berlin (pre-ILP + spring). The orientations are designed to inform you on practical aspects of living in Germany.
Notify UCEAP of your arrival plans by completing the Travel Itinerary Form in your Pre-Departure Checklist by the posted due date.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.


Arrival in Berlin

If you fly directly into Berlin, you will land at either Tegel or Schönefeld airport, both of which have good public transportation connections. If you have opted for a dorm, your dorm/housing office will e-mail you specific instructions for arrival and check-in. Further details are indicated on the Arrival Information Sheet included in the UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist.

Round-trip Tickets

U.S. Citizens

According to the German Federal Foreign Office Information Service, U.S. students do not need a round-trip ticket to enter Germany.
Beyond this regulation, UCEAP recommends that you purchase a round-trip ticket instead of a one-way ticket; it is sometimes less expensive to change the itinerary for a return ticket than to buy a new one-way ticket.
UCEAP also recommends you purchase a ticket that allows you to change your return flight for a small fee, in case you need to change it once you are in Germany. Some airlines allow this, but others do not, so check with your airline on this issue.

Non-U.S. Citizens

You may be required to have a round-trip ticket to enter Germany, depending on your country of citizenship. Check with a German consulate to find out if this applies to you. If a round-trip ticket is required for you and you try to leave for Germany with a one-way ticket, you will not be allowed on the plane until you purchase a return ticket at the airport. However, round-trip tickets can only be purchased within a calendar year. If you will spend more than a calendar year in Germany (e.g., if you are attending the pre-ILP in July followed by an academic year program), you still need to buy a round-trip ticket. You can use the return portion to visit the U.S. in the course of the year or discard the original return trip ticket and purchase a one-way ticket home in Germany later in the year. Some—but not all—airlines let you change the return date past one calendar year from the date you arrive in Germany, so be sure to check on the ticket policy and restrictions.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.

Travel Tips

UCEAP strongly discourages “couch surfing” when traveling. This is defined as using an Internet social network (used by travelers around the world) to organize free places to stay. 
  • Update your contact information in MyEAP with any changes to your address, e-mail, and phone number. Check your e-mail regularly for important updates, especially as your departure date draws near.
  • You are responsible for purchasing airline tickets even if you are on full financial aid.
  • Purchase a changeable airline ticket. Standby tickets are not appropriate.
  • Flights are routinely changed or cancelled. Confirm your flight schedule about two weeks before your departure date.
  • When traveling, always carry your passport, visa, ticket, prescription medications, and money. Never put valuables in checked luggage.
  • Identify luggage on the inside and outside with your name, address, and destination. Never leave luggage unattended.
  • The UCEAP Insurance Plan includes some personal property coverage, but it is your responsibility to determine if it will suit your needs. You must look into this prior to departure and decide whether or not you will need to purchase additional coverage.
  • Luggage restrictions vary by airline. Check with your airline directly to learn about luggage rules and restrictions.
  • Check directly with your airline or travel agent about any special measures you should take, such as the time you need to arrive at the airport and extra identification that may be required.
  • Do not ask others to carry items abroad for you (laptop, camera, extra bags, etc.) and do not volunteer to do so for others. Airlines may not allow you to take them or customs abroad may charge you a high duty. This is particularly a concern with electronic goods.
  • Contact the German consulate or your airline about how to take specific items (cameras, computers, etc.) into the country without paying a customs tax.
Travel Documents


U.S. Citizens
U.S. citizens do not need a visa to enter Germany. Your passport will serve as your main identification. Passports must be registered with the host city administration (see Residence Permit in this section for further details).
If you do not already have a passport, apply for one as soon as possible. If you have a passport, make sure that it will be valid at least three months beyond the end date of your stay.
If you have a European Union passport in addition to your U.S. passport, use the E.U. one when entering Europe.
Non-U.S. Citizens
Non-U.S. citizens must contact the German consulate immediately to determine their specific requirements, which will vary depending upon the country of citizenship. In most cases, non-U.S. citizens must obtain a visa in order to enter and study in Germany. The visa application process can take several months, so be sure to initiate it as soon as you are accepted for participation by UCEAP.
In general, non-U.S. citizens applying for a visa to study in another country must have a valid passport from their country of citizenship plus proof of permission to reenter the U.S., such as a green card or a readmittance stamp in their passport. If you do not have a U.S. reentry permit you will likely be denied a visa and should apply for a reentry permit at a local immigration office. If you already have the permit, make sure it will remain valid throughout your entire stay abroad.
Being out of the U.S. may jeopardize your permanent residence status in the U.S. Year-long students and students considering extending UCEAP participation from a short-term (semester) program to a year-long program must take the necessary steps before departure to ensure their legal return to the U.S.
Non-U.S. citizens who fail to obtain the proper visa prior to departure for Germany will not be able to participate in UCEAP.

Residence Permit

In order to obtain a residence permit once in Germany, you must first register with the city of Berlin at the Bürgeramt (a department within the Berlin city administration). You can only do this after you have found a permanent residence. Official requirements are taht you register with the city within two weeks of moving into the apartment. The UC Study Center will assist you with this process and you will receive more information at the on-site orientation sessions.
If you are a U.S. citizen, you will need to obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis or Aufenthaltsbewilligung) within three months of entering Germany. You will obtain your residence permit through the UC Study Center, which will work with the Ausländerbehörde on your behalf. The Study Center staff will inform you about deadlines and required paperwork during the on-site orientation sessions.
While your residence permit is processing, you will have to give up your passport for approximately 1-2 weeks. Do not plan to travel outside of Germany during this time. The Study Center will inform you ahead of time so that you can adjust your travel plans accordingly. This is German law, and no exceptions will be made. You should also make plans to exchange enough money in advance to last for this time (money exchange usually requires a passport). Use this time without a passport to familiarize yourself with the local neighborhoods or other cities within Germany.

Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.
Travel lightly. A good rule is that if your clothing will not fit into your luggage, you have probably packed too much.


  • Warm coat or down jacket (for winter)
  • Clothing for cold, rainy weather (raincoat, headgear, scarf, gloves, etc.)
  • Thermal underwear
  • Sturdy walking shoes
  • Dressy outfit for formal events
  • Voltage converter and plug adapter (voltage in Germany is 220 cycles)
  • Prescription glasses or contact lenses with solution if applicable (neither the UCEAP health insurance nor the German national health insurance covers contact lenses and cleaning fluids, which are expensive in Germany)
  • One towel
  • Prescription medication (for more information on taking prescription medication abroad, see the Health chapter of this guide)


  • Reference textbooks and notes related to your major field of study
  • German grammar book
  • German-English dictionary (or buy one in Germany for €10-30)
  • Lightweight gifts for new friends and host family (suggestions include T-shirts with city, state, or campus logos; UC pens or pencils; baseball caps; California postcards, posters, or scenic calendars)
  • Laptop computer and lock
  • Bike lock and helmet


The weather in Germany is considerably more variable than in California. The summers are warm (humid to hot) and winters can be bitingly cold. The annual rainfall is about 20 inches. The first snowfall usually comes early in December, with alternating snow and rain lasting through March. The sky is often cloudy.


Warm winter clothes and sturdy walking shoes are available in Berlin, though they can be relatively expensive. Fashion tends to be fairly casual in Germany, and there are plenty of secondhand clothing shops.


Your required readings will be assigned to you once you are in Germany. There is no need to purchase any textbooks prior to your departure. Some UCEAP students find it helpful to bring a reference German grammar book with which they feel comfortable.

Electrical Appliances

The voltage in Germany is 220 volts. Be sure to obtain a plug adapter and voltage converter for your electronic devices. You can purchase these in the U.S. or abroad. Some electrical appliances such as travel irons, curling irons, blow dryers, and electric razors are available with built-in voltage converters for all currents. The cost of electricity abroad is high, and improper use of appliances may damage both the electrical outlets and the appliances, so be sure to ask before using the outlets. You can buy certain inexpensive items such as blow dryers in Germany, thus eliminating the need for voltage converters or plug adapters.
For information on using laptops in Germany, see Computer Access and Use in this guide.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  UCEAP strongly recommends that you examine the details of the UCEAP Travel Insurance benefits and purchase additional property insurance coverage, especially to protect high cost items such as laptop computers, Smartphones, tablets, and other valuables. Review the policy carefully before departure and determine if it provides adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling because most theft occurs in the airport or while moving into housing. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions. Avoid wearing expensive clothing or jewelry and going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Minimize your vulnerability by staying in control of your drinking and your behavior. Do not invite casual acquaintances or strangers home.
Return Transportation
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.



Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad

The Euro (€)

The euro is the official currency of Germany and most European Union nations. The currency is denominated into seven notes and eight coins.
The current exchange rate is approximately €1 to U.S. $1.07 (as of January 2017). Since it is impossible to predict how the exchange rate will fluctuate during the year, budget carefully.

Cash Upon Arrival

You can purchase foreign currency through your bank in the U.S. (it can take up to two weeks to receive the currency). Purchase about €300 to €400 cash in the U.S. to bring with you to Germany. Besides providing the opportunity to become familiar with the euro, the funds will be useful for snacks, local transportation, tips, and unexpected purchases when you arrive. You may also exchange currency after arrival at the airport or bank, or you can withdraw money from an ATM; however, it is best to have some euros on hand upon arrival. When exchanging currency, exchange rates will vary, so you are advised to shop around for the best rate.
It is important to be aware of how much money (in euros) will be needed immediately. Plan on having available at least €1,200 to €1,500 via ATM for initial expenses during the first month. These can include dorm or apartment rent and deposit, funds to open a bank account, initial meals, transportation, registration fees, Semesterticket, and books.


Once you arrive in Berlin, you can open a bank account. Usually opening a bank account is free of charge with proof of student status, and most banks do not charge students monthly fees. No initial deposit is necessary, but you will need your passport to open an account. Some banks also require proof of city (residence) registration (Anmeldung at Bürgeramt). (Online) bank transfers are the regular mode of money transactions (including paying rent), and a German bank account usually comes with an EC, or electronic cash, card, which is generally accepted at larger stores throughout Germany.

Credit Cards

Most large stores and restaurants in Berlin honor major credit cards, such as Visa and MasterCard. American Express is rarely used. Keep in mind that most credit card companies charge fees on purchases made in foreign currency or abroad (even if the transaction is made in dollars). Check with your credit card company for details.
Be sure to call your credit card company before you leave and inform them that you will be using your card abroad so they do not freeze your account when they see overseas transactions.
In general, payment with credit cards is a lot less common in Germany than in the United States. For most daily exchanges under €100, cash or use of an EC card is the norm. Do not assume that you may use a credit card in restaurants or cafes; be sure to have cash on hand to cover the transaction.
Though procedures vary, it is usually possible to receive a cash advance from ATMs, but not in stores. Former students recommend you have someone in the U.S. deposit money into your Visa account at home so that you can obtain a cash advance in Germany free of charge (not all credit card companies permit this). Before departure, check with your home bank about these and other services. There are some banks that allow ATM withdrawals abroad without charging extra fees.

Transferring Money Overseas

Travelers Checks

Do not use travelers checks; they are usually not accepted in Germany, and in the few places where they are accepted there is a large fee to cash them.


It is convenient to access money abroad using an ATM card. To do so, you or your parent(s) open an account in the U.S. with, for example, Citibank, and get a Citibank ATM card with a PIN. Once abroad, you can use the card at an ATM to withdraw money that has been deposited in the account. Those with accounts at Bank of America can withdraw money from Deutsche Bank ATMs without a fee. Transactions made at other ATMs may be subject to a charge, so it is often best to withdraw the maximum daily amount during any ATM transaction. There is no waiting period: once the original deposit has cleared the bank in the U.S., it is available for withdrawal abroad. There may be limitations on the amount of cash accessible per transaction. Check with the card-issuing company about your options.
Call your bank before you leave and inform them that you will be accessing your account abroad for an extended period of time. Check with your bank to make sure you can use your ATM card to access funds in Germany. It is helpful if your ATM card has a Visa or MasterCard logo on it, as it will make it easier for you to withdraw money at a bank.
ATMs in Germany require a four-digit PIN. If your PIN has more than four digits, you will not be able to use the ATMs. Check with your bank prior to departure.

Western Union

Western Union is available to wire money. For procedures on wiring money and to locate an agent for both sender and recipient, go to the Western Union website.


MoneyGram is another option for wiring money. The transfer generally takes about ten minutes and all fees are paid in the U.S. For more information, contact a MoneyGram location.


The use of money transfer services such as TransferWise is usually much cheaper than a direct transfer from your U.S. bank to your German bank account. Go to the TransferWise website for more information. 
Never wire transfer money to anyone you do not know personally through companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram. It is nearly impossible to reverse the transfer or trace the money, which makes a common tool for scammers.
Communications Abroad

Internet Access


Bring your own laptop abroad, if possible. Some computer labs are available; however, the labs are open for only limited hours and access is difficult during the end-of-term rush. Handwritten papers are not accepted and there generally is no late-night computer use.
If you take your computer, take the appropriate voltage converter (unless the computer operates on both currents). Most laptops are equipped with a voltage converter allowing the use of the 220-volt electricity in Europe. Read your computer manual to confirm. The converter is usually part of the “box” located halfway down the power cord. You will still need an adapter to use the outlets. A surge protector is also recommended (surge protectors can be purchased after arrival for reasonable prices).
If you take your laptop, keep it within reach at all times while traveling. Laptops are among the most frequently stolen items from travelers.
Bring a laptop lock and lock your computer to your desk at home or when you go to the library. Never leave your laptop unattended or lose sight of it in a public space (including university libraries), even for short periods of time.
The UCEAP Insurance Plan includes a personal property benefit, which may cover the loss/theft or total damage of your belongings, including a laptop; however it is your responsibility to review the details of this coverage. You may determine that you need additional insurance.

On-Campus Access 

All universities in Berlin have computer pools and WiFi on campus. You can apply for an e-mail account and use these facilities once you are registered with the university (you might get a temporary login during the ILP, before the regular semester begins).
During the ILP, you have access to a computer room near the classroom area. Free University students staying at the Internationales Studienzentrum Berlin (ISB) have access to the dorm’s own computer pool, which does not require matriculation. Students with laptops can use wireless LAN. The universities have free LAN and WLAN connections in nearly all of their buildings, but it will take some time to be enrolled and processed. In general, free public WLAN access is widely available in Germany. In addition to the Sony Center at Potsdamer Platz, many cafés offer free WLAN access.  

Local & International Calls

You can purchase relatively cheap calling cards for international calls at various kiosks around town, and you can also use Tele-Cafés for good rates on international calls.
Pay phones that take coins are still in use. Local calls in Berlin cost approximately €0.20 when using public phones, but are subject to change. You can direct dial the U.S. by dropping in a euro or two, then dialing 001, then the area code and phone number. The money will run out fast, but in a pinch it allows for instant communication via phone to home.
Cell phones (called “Handys”) can be purchased at several stores, starting at €15. UCEAP recommends purchasing phones and SIM cards with prepaid minutes, which cost more per minute than a phone plan may offer, but have no monthly fee or contract. Please note that a new law has come into effect as of July 1, 2017, mandating that buying a prepaid SIM card requires registration of the card. The buyer has to provide ID that shows their current address and date of birth. Foreigners must show either their residence permit or an arrival notice.
If you sign up for a phone plan, be sure you know the rates that apply for different types of calls (to landlines or cell phones, local or international, etc.). Many German companies offer seemingly good deals but require a two-year contract that cannot be broken.
Some students take phones with them with international plans purchased in the U.S. Students with tri- or quad-band cell phones from the U.S. can use them abroad by purchasing a prepaid SIM card once in Germany. Usually, such phones must be "unlocked" by the U.S. cell phone provider to allow you to use SIM cards from other phone companies. Check with your service provider for details.
You can also reference this third-party website, which offers a review of options and has general information on using cell phones in Germany.
Be sure to pay all your phone bills before leaving Germany. If you leave without paying your final phone bill, your UC registration and records will be blocked until the bill is paid in full.

Internet Calls

One of the most popular means of communication when calling internationally is using the Internet to make phone calls at an inexpensive rate. Students with smart phones often use apps such as Skype, Facetime, and Facebook Messenger to video chat with friends and family back home. In addition, SkypeOut is a Skype service through which you or your parents can charge the account to make calls to regular landlines and cell phones. Currently, SkypeOut costs 2.1 cents per minute to a German landline, American landline, and American cell phone, and 9 cents per minute to a German cell phone. Skype also offers monthly subscriptions.
Mail & Shipments
German post offices, located in every neighborhood, sell stamps and phone cards and send letters and packages. Letters sent within Germany usually reach their destination within one day. Airmail is necessary only for overseas mail. Letters mailed to and from the U.S. take about 3-7 business days. German postage is expensive. Sending letters from Germany costs twice as much as it does from the U.S.
Lately, students have reported their packages from the U.S. did not reach Germany for some reason. Therefore, it could be a good idea to a) have your family transfer money instead of sending gifts or b) have your family use a shipping method that includes tracking.
It is useful to have the following text on the package in order to minimize the chance of hassles with German customs: "Gebrauchtwaren / Persönliche Gegenstände zur Benutzung während Gaststudiumaufenthalts in Berlin" and the value to listed as below 50 Euros.
You can receive mail at your residence address once it is known. Students can also receive mail at the UCEAP Study Center, as long as “University of California, EAP” is included in the address.
Housing & Meals
Students who withdraw after the withdrawal deadline may be liable for unrecoverable housing and other costs incurred by UCEAP.
Housing upon Arrival (Pre-ILP and ILP)
During the program, you have the option of finding your own housing or staying in the dormitories. Please read through all of the information in this chapter before making your final decision.

Pre-ILP Housing

Students participating in the summer pre-ILP with FUBiS in Berlin will have multiple options for housing during the pre-ILP:
  1. Single room in a shared apartment
  2. Single-occupancy apartment
  3. Homestay with host family
  4. Seminaris Campus Hotel  
  5. Single room in a youth hostel
Prices and more information are in the online Pre-Departure Checklist. See the FUBiS website for additional details. After you have sent your application to FUBiS, they will send you a bill for the housing, excursions, and any additional insurance you choose to purchase. You must pay FUBiS directly for these fees since they are not included in your UCEAP fees. Even if you are a financial aid recipient, you are responsible for making this payment.  
Students participating in the winter pre-ILP with the Goethe-Institut Berlin will be housed in rooms in private accommodations.
Prices and more information are in the online Pre-Departure Checklist. See the Goethe-Institut Berlin website for additional details. After you have submitted your Goethe-Institut Berlin application, they will send you a bill for housing. You must pay the Goethe-Institut Berlin directly for these fees since they are not included in your UCEAP fees. Even if you are a financial aid recipient, you are responsible for making this payment.
Your pre-ILP housing will start on the program arrival day and run through the end of the pre-ILP, at which point you will need to move into your accommodations for the remainder of the semester/year. Additionally, you have the option of finding your own housing during the pre-ILP, but all arrangements must be made independently. 

ILP Housing

There is no dorm option for the ILP only. If you want to stay in the dorms for the ILP, you will be entering into a contract for the entire semester/year.

Temporary Accommodations

Most students that plan to find their own housing will need to stay in temporary accommodations while searching for more permanent housing for the semester or year. Here are the most popular options for temporary accommodations:
  • Zwischenmiete: While looking for a WG room, many students choose to do a “Zwischenmiete,” meaning that you sublease the room of one of the people living in the apartment while they are abroad or pursuing an internship in a different city. The advantages in this case are that the room will be furnished, you usually won’t need to sign a lease, and you don’t necessarily have to be there in person to set it up (Skype calls are one option). In addition, your temporary roommates are usually a great source of information that will help you get accustomed to the city and search for permanent housing. You can tell that the room is “zur Zwischenmiete” by looking at the “Auszugsdatum” category on the WG websites (StudentenWG, WG-Gesucht, etc.). If a date is filled in, then the room will be available “zur Zwischenmiete” until that date.
  • Hostel: Many students also stay in youth hostels while searching for apartments. Visit websites such as Hostel World to see what is available.
  • Air B'n'B: You can try finding temporary housing through Air B'n'B by searching the private apartments and rooms that are posted online. While offers tend to be on the expensive side, it might be a good option for your first week(s) in Berlin. Furthermore, rates tend to go down if you are renting by week or month rather than by day. Please make sure you receive an official renting contract and that the person from whom you are renting is registered with the city of Berlin (both facts are important to register yourself with the city of Berlin/to obtain your residence permit in Germany)!
Private Apartments (WG)
The Study Center encourages you to consider living in private housing in Berlin. It is a great way to experience the active student life in Berlin and be fully immersed in German culture. You also are more likely to find a room in one of the more desirable parts of town. A large majority of students choose this option. If you plan to seek your own housing, you may choose to arrive before the start date of your program.
The Study Center recommends that you find a Wohngemeinschaft (WG), or collective living situation, with German-speaking students. It is the best way to become fluent and to connect to German student life.
Although many students prefer living in a WG, you must be prepared to put a significant amount of effort into finding your housing. Berlin’s WG market has become very competitive and the search for a room in a WG might prove frustrating at times. Please also read this note from Free University on the topic.
The Study Center staff is a great source of information and help; however, you will need to do research on your own. It is common for students to depart for Berlin with the intention of finding a place to live after they arrive. If you do not feel comfortable waiting until you arrive in Berlin to secure your housing, consider signing up for the dorms (which is only possible when instructed by each university and not at a later point in time).
While it understandably feels better to have housing already secured before you come to Berlin, UCEAP strongly discourages you from signing a long-term lease and/or making any payments before you have seen the apartment in person. Make sure you inspect your room before you move in and thoroughly record anything that is damaged to avoid having to pay for things in need of repair due to previous tenants when you move out.

How to Find an Apartment

If you want to find a room in a Wohngemeinschaft (WG), you won’t be able to fully begin your search until you get to Berlin and can meet with potential housemates in person. You will need to arrange temporary housing for the first weeks after your arrival in Berlin while you are looking for a WG (see Temporary Accommodation in this chapter for more information). For students attending the ILP, it is to your advantage that you will be in Berlin before the semester starts and all German students arrive. The search is a great chance to see how students in Germany live.
Some options for finding private housing include blackboards posted in the main university buildings, often near the mensa (university cafe); newspapers and magazines; or online at:
Typically, you will search for your WGs online. On many WG sites, such as, you can also post your own ad and include the time period for which you need a room and any other technical or social requirements, such as maximum rent and minimum size. Simply click on “Gesuch aufgeben” (all instructions and explanations are available in English, but there is no translation of this term).
Members of a WG generally interview prospective new roommates. Competition for the more desirable apartments is sometimes tough; do not be surprised or discouraged if you are not accepted at your first, second, or even third choice (German students have to go through this as well). Recent students have reported that those advertising rooms will respond much more quickly to a phone call than an e-mail, and that students should focus on the most recently posted ads.
In addition, the Berlin Welcome Book that you will receive during your orientation includes links to several housing websites and search engines. If you are attending Free University, you should also follow the instructions in your admission letter to register on FU’s excellent “Distributed Campus” website, which contains information about housing and many other aspects of life in Berlin.

Housing Payments

You will be paying rent directly to your landlord, or to the roommate from whom you are renting (sublease). You may be required to pay a deposit up front; be sure to work out the details with your landlord before you enter into an agreement, and to ask for a receipt for the deposit. Typically, the landlord will not charge individual tenants but will charge the entire WG together. You and your roommates will need to decide whose account will be charged for rent and how you will get your deposit back, preferably before leaving the country.

Avoid Scams

Just as with any apartment search, you must ensure that the apartment listings are legitimate. To avoid scams, do not send any personal information such as passport numbers, social security numbers, bank account numbers etc. to potential landlords in Berlin prior to your arrival. Under no circumstances should you send money (via wire transfer, credit card transaction, etc.) to Berlin before arrival. Do not enter into any agreement without first seeing the apartment in person. Be wary of ads that seem suspicious to you, for example an offer with very attractive conditions coupled with a request for an overseas money transfer. Contact the Study Center if you are uncertain about the legitimacy of an offer. If the landlord asks you to provide a security deposit, only proceed with the payments after you have seen the apartment, signed the lease, and met the owner. Never sign a contract from the U.S.
University Dormitories
Dormitories are the simplest solution for finding housing, they can be arranged before departure, and they are comparatively cheap. However, previous students recommend against living in the dorms, as they are mainly outside of the city center; tend to be isolated and distant from the universities, shops, clubs, cheap ethnic restaurants, and other desirable aspects of student life; and they seldom offer an interactive community as is common in UC dorms. That said, often times, international students living in the dorms do end up forming a community.
There are two main dormitory options in Berlin:
  • Studentenwerk
  • Studentendorf Schlachtensee and Adlershof 
The housing contracts have been standardized and are generally from September 1 to February 28 for fall semester, and March 1 to August 31 for spring semester. For the majority of options it is not possible to deviate from these rental periods. Even if you are not there for the full six months, you will need pay for them as they are part of the rental period for the semester.
Please read through the following detailed descriptions for the main housing options.


These are the main dormitories in Berlin; they are managed by an organization called the Studentenwerk, or student services, which is separate from the university you are attending. Dormitories are located throughout Berlin, with the larger dormitories located in the south and the east. Dorms are furnished, but you must provide bedding, towels, and dishes. All amenities can be easily purchased in Berlin.
In Studentenwerk dormitories, students are housed in single rooms, usually about 12–15 square meters. The rooms might be conjoined with others to form a suite. Bathrooms (usually) and kitchens (always) are shared. Amenities, location, and price vary widely. For details about dorms, see the Studentenwerk website.



There is also the option of staying in a student dormitory co-operative on the outskirts of Berlin with furnished single rooms or shared apartments. Bedding and towels may be rented per month. The website makes the Studentendorf Schlachtensee look attractive and the prices are low, but some students have been unhappy with this housing. Main complaints in the past have been about its remote location and unfriendly staff. The dorm is located in a very quiet and green part of town, with a scenic lake in walking distance (great for swimming in the summer). However, it takes about half an hour (with public transportation) to get to FU, about 50 minutes to TU, and an hour to HU.
The Studentendorf is not part of the Studentenwerk network of dorms. Students are not allowed to break their contracts and move out to other dorms or private housing. On the plus side, students have noted the positive social experience of living with a large number of other students, many of whom come from different countries.
The newly-built Studentendorf Adlershof is situated on HU's Adlershof campus, close to the institutes for natural sciences. They offer affordable and different types of fully-furnished rooms and apartments, as well as learning lounges, party rooms, and a gym. See their website for more information.

How to Apply for a Dorm and Reserve your Space

Free University

After you submit your application for admission, you will be contacted by Free University directly regarding your housing. Indicate your preference on the forms under Additional Comments. Spots are assigned in the order that students apply and remaining students are placed on a waiting list.  
If you opt for a dorm, you will likely be placed in one of two Studentenwerk dormitories: Halbauer Weg 19/21 or Goerzallee 119–135. Descriptions of both dorms are available online. The dorms in Halbauer Weg and Goerzallee are fairly remote and accessible only by bus, which runs infrequently on the weekends. Costs for these rooms are modest (€210 to €240 per month), especially by California standards. Most dorm rooms are not equipped with Internet access or landline phones.
You can find detailed information about the housing options, amenities, prices, and more; view pictures of dorms; and access the housing application on the Free University website.
Free University requires €500 upon reserving a room -  €450 serves as a security deposit for the room that is forwarded to Studentenwerk and  €50 remain at Free University as a service charge. The €450 will be refunded to you after you move out, provided that there are no damages to the room.​ Should you decide to cancel your reservation up until 4 weeks before the move-in date, €450 will be refunded to you. No refund is issued sound you decide to cancel your reservation within 4 weeks of the move-in date. 

Humboldt University

If you decide you would like to stay in the dorms, you must indicate this on your online Humboldt University application. You will be contacted by the university to set up your housing. Spots are assigned to students in the order that they apply and have paid the fee (after being requested to make the payment by email) and the remaining students are placed on a waiting list.
You will most likely be placed in one of two dorms: Allee der Kosmonauten or Aristotelessteig. Unfortunately, these dorms are in the extreme eastern part of the city. There are links via public transportation to the HU campus and the central part of Berlin, but expect to spend about 45 minutes commuting each way. The eastern parts of Berlin are also considered somewhat less safe.
You can find detailed information about the dorms on the Humboldt University website.
Humboldt University requires €500 upon reserving a room -  €450 serves as a security deposit for the room that is forwarded to Studentenwerk and  €50 remain at Humboldt University as a service charge. The €450 will be refunded to you after you move out, provided that there are no damages to the room.​ Should you decide to cancel your reservation up until 4 weeks before the move-in date, €450 will be refunded to you after HU confirms your cancellation in writing. No refund is issued sound you decide to cancel your reservation within 4 weeks of the move-in date. Students that do not end up being placed will receive a refund of the deposit via bank transfer.

Technical University

After your application for admission is received, Technical University will send you an email with information about the dorms and the housing application. If you intend to live in a dorm, you must provide your completed application ON the stated deadline. Rooms will then be assigned using a lottery system. Technical University makes the reservation, and then Studentenwerk takes over the communication.
Most Technical University students are placed in the Humboldt dormitories, though there may be dorms available closer to TU. The dorms used are part of the Studentenwerk network: Siegmunds Hof, Hans und Hilde Coppi, Sewanstrasse, Hafenplatz, and Hubertusallee.
On the day of arrival, students need to go to Studentenwerk in order to sign the rental contract, pay the €500 deposit, and receive the key to their apartment. Should you decide to cancel your reservation and TU has another student they can place in the room, there will be no financial consequences. If no replacement can be found, you will be responsible for part of the first month's rent. 

Dorm Housing Payments

You have two options for making your payments:
1. Establish a German bank account and either make monthly transfers yourself or provide the account information to the housing office. If the latter, the housing office will automatically deduct the monthly rent payments from your German bank account. 
2. Pay your rent in cash each month at the Studentenwerk Office, where you will intially sign the rental contract.
Supplies Needed
Generally, you need to take your own towels. At some dormitories in Berlin you will need to bring a set of bed linens or buy one upon arrival. If you need other supplies, such as dishes, these can be easily purchased after arrival as well. For more information, see the descriptions of the individual dormitories in the previous section.
Dorms do not provide sheets; however, the Studentenwerk offers a package, including sheets, a pillow, and a blanket for about €50. This package can be purchased from the housing office (Wohnheimverwaltung) or custodian (Hausmeister) when you pick up your keys. It is also easy to find cheaper sheets and utensils at local stores.
Exception: For Free University students who will be at the Internationales Studienzentrum Berlin, the ISB provides bed sheets and blankets; there are communal cooking utensils.

In Berlin, most dormitories and apartments have their own kitchen facilities, although you may have to buy your own cooking utensils. There are plenty of university cafeterias (mensas), which are ideal for lunch. Mensas offer meals at reasonable prices, generally between €2 and €3.  

Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
You will purchase a Semesterticket, which allows you to take virtually all forms of public transportation in Berlin, Potsdam, and parts of Brandenburg. The ticket costs around €198 for each semester, and you are required to purchase it when you pay your semester fees.
Since the Semesterticket for the winter semester begins on October 1, fall and year students will need to purchase a separate ticket for the month of September. For this transitional period, purchase a monthly pass that costs €81. This ticket is valid for buses, S-Bahn, streetcars, the subway, and some ferries throughout Berlin. Purchase the pass immediately upon arrival.

Subway and Buses

Berlin is a big city, so you may need to travel a fairly long distance when visiting different sites in Berlin or commuting from your housing to campus. However, public transportation is excellent. There is an extensive, easy-to-use network of buses, U-Bahn (subway), S-Bahn (city train), and Strassenbahn or Tram (streetcar). Check the BVG website for updated information on the Berlin transportation network, including bus and train schedules, maps and ticket information, and route planning.
Bus drivers expect you to show them your ticket as you board the bus; on S-Bahns and U-Bahns, non-uniformed undercover transportation employees conduct spot checks. Traveling without a valid ticket makes you subject to a €60 fine payable immediately, no excuses accepted; repeat offenders pay more and will be banned from the bus or subway.


Biking around Berlin is easy, and there are bike lanes all over the city. Make sure that you always lock your bike carefully since unlocked bikes are likely to be stolen. Be sure to follow all traffic laws when biking. Do not bike the wrong way on a one-way street (Einbahnstraße), or in the pedestrian portion of the sidewalk; you could be injured, injure somebody else, or be fined.
You can buy bicycles in many places around town. The Berlin Welcome Book you will receive from the Berlin Study Center includes detailed information on where to buy a bike. To find the best bike route to take, refer to BBBike, an online route planner for cyclists in Berlin and Potsdam.
Berlin Immersion students: Your semester ticket allows you to take your bike onto the U-Bahn or S-Bahn for free; if you are using the standard monthly ticket or a day-pass, you will have to buy an extra bicycle ticket.
FU-BEST and Berlin Summer students: You will need to pay a supplemental fare when taking a bike on the U- or S-Bahn.


The easiest way to travel in Germany is by train. Intercity trains in major cities run every hour. During rush hour there are good connections between surrounding districts and city centers. Even medium-sized villages have railway stations, although scheduled stops may be fewer. Station information staff can provide information on changing trains, connections, weekend service, fares and discounts, etc. It is generally advisable to buy tickets well in advance to save money.
High-speed ICE trains are by far the fastest ground transportation in Germany. These trains reach speeds of 300 km/hour (186 miles/hour) and usually run every hour. ICE trains operate on several lines connecting Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Cologne, Stuttgart, and Munich. Besides the ICE class of trains, there are several others with varying degrees of speeds:
S-Bahn (Schnellbahn, “Fast Train”): Commuter rail service in and around major metropolitan areas.
SE (StadtExpress, “City Express”): Local trains that connect outlying towns and villages with medium and large cities.
RB (RegionalBahn, “Regional Train”): These trains are similar to SE; however, they stop in almost every village along the way.
RE (RegionalExpress): A significantly faster service than the RB and SE. Stops at medium and larger-sized towns.
IC (InterCity): Express service connecting domestic and international medium-sized towns to major rail centers. Trains generally run every two hours or more often.
ICE (InterCityExpress): Express trains connecting larger domestic destinations. Trains run every hour. Some of these trains travel into adjacent countries as part of the EC (EuroCity) system.
EC (EuroCity): international train service within the European inter-city rail network.
Most trains have first- and second-class carriages, which are offered at higher rates. Most express trains have a restaurant or buffet car. For night journeys, you can use sleeping cars or couchettes (usually with a special reservation).
A Bahncard is valid for one year and enables travel on all German trains (within Germany) for a discounted rate, ranging from 25 to 100 percent of the regular price of the ticket (Normalpreis) depending on the type of Bahncard. Bahncard 25 (currently €41 for students under 27) provides a 25 percent discount on all full-fare InterCity trains and often enables significant further reductions on specific trains booked in advance. The Bahncard 50 provides a 50 percent discount on all tickets for the year. As train travel is expensive within Germany, the initial cost of the Bahncard 50 (currently €127 for students under 27 with identification; €255 full fare) will likely be offset quickly by savings through the Bahncard.
The combination of the Bahncard and various special offers can produce inexpensive tickets, but finding out how they work is complicated. This is why the Bahncard 50 is a good idea, since any ticket you purchase is good on any train; the cheaper Internet offers are tied to specific trains, which only works well if you are sure that you will be traveling at a certain time on a specific date.
Visit the Bahn website for the following:
  • Railway timetables (including wait times and Sunday schedules) 
  • Train connections (when and where to change trains)
  • Student fare discount information and other special offers
  • To make reservations and book by credit card
Other favorite types of student rail passes are the Eurail and InterRail passes. We recommend that you purchase the Eurail pass from the U.S. before departure, even though they do ship overseas or you could find certain combination available for purchase in train stations abroad. You can select the length of time and travel zones for which the pass will be valid. After residing abroad for six months, you will be eligible to buy the InterRail pass, which is cheaper than the Eurail pass. You can choose an InterRail ticket that is good for travel in one country, or purchase a “Global Pass” that is valid for travel in 30 European countries and provides up to a month of unlimited train (and sometimes bus and ferry) travel outside of Germany. Students often use this pass during spring break and find it to be an excellent value. Visit the Eurail and InterRail websites for more information.
Long-distance Buses:
More and more students use buses, such as FlixBus, to travel within Germany, as they offer good rates (compared to Greyhound, etc).

Air Travel

For many international destinations within Europe, low-cost air travel is an option. See Ryan Air, Easy Jet, German Wings, and Air Berlin for more information. Make sure you are aware of the restrictions that come with inexpensive airline tickets (such as luggage restrictions, minimal or no refunds for unused tickets, etc.). Plan to travel only on the weekends, school breaks, or following your program. 
Extracurricular Activities
Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve your language skills, and integrate more fully into the community. There is a wide range of extracurricular activities available to you in Berlin. Join clubs, sports, or musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations, attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles, and get the most out of your time abroad. 
The Study Center staff has information on cultural and social events, and will arrange various activities and excursions.
You can find an extensive list of extracurricular activities here.
Students with Disabilities
In general, each university has a counselor dedicated to working with students with disabilities. If you have a disability, contact the Study Center immediately so they can provide you with the name of the “Behindertenbeauftragten” for further counseling and detailed information.
Strong advocacy for students with disabilities exists at all Berlin universities. Studentenwerk Berlin offers counseling for students with disabilities at all three Berlin universities.
Frau Bloom
Franz-Mehring-Platz 2
10243 Berlin (Friederichshain)
Phone: (030) 939 39 8441
Office Hours: Thursdays, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. and by appointment
FU–Counseling for students with disabilities
Frau Bültbrune
Thielallee 38-14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
Phone: (030) 939 39 9020
Office Hours: Mondays, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. and by appointment
For more information, visit FU’s Advocate for Students with Disabilities website. The FU also has a disabled students’ advocacy group, called the Interessengemeinschaft behinderter Studierender an der FU Berlin. For more details, visit their website.
Frau Gomm
Hardenbergstr. 34
10623 Berlin (Charlottenburg)
Phone: (030) 939 39 8416
Office Hours: Tuesdays, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. and by appointment
Each university also has a Commissioner for Students with disabilities:
TU: Frau Mechthild Rolfes;;
For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the U.S.), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad
Your German student resident permit includes permission to work up to 90 full days or 180 half days (4 hours or less) per calendar year in Germany (90 days before December 31 and 90 days after January 1). You may work no more than 20 hours per week. Previous students have held jobs such as waiting tables or working as English tutors; others have found paid internships, such as at a museum.
LGBTIQ Students
The lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community is protected by federal anti-discrimination laws and LGBT Pride events are officially encouraged by most large city governments, including those in Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt, and Munich.
Although same-sex marriage is not legal, registered partnerships have been available since 2001. Anti-discrimination laws exist to protect LGBT people in the workplace, and the public is generally supportive of equal rights.
​For more information,
UCEAP Insurance
All UCEAP participants are covered by the mandatory UCEAP travel insurance, which includes non-medical benefits. Read it, understand the terms of coverage, and share it with your parents.

Know Before you Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy.  Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP travel insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. Your travel insurance policy number is ADDN 04834823.  It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
There is no deductible or co-insurance but the travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis.  You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses.  For more information about the medical claim proces or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance.  Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country).  It is your responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits and Claims Status

ACI at

German Health Insurance (AOK)
In addition to the UCEAP Travel Insurance, you will also be covered by the German health insurance.
From the start of the host university’s winter semester until the end of the summer semester, all Berlin Immersion students under 30 years of age are covered by the German health insurance (AOK). The cost of this insurance is included in your UCEAP fees.
The German insurance is inexpensive and covers almost everything with little or no out-of-pocket cost to you. Students have been hospitalized with surgery but paid only a nominal co-pay. You may use the AOK for common doctor visits during the semester, while the UCEAP travel insurance is reserved for accidents and medical needs you may have while traveling outside of Germany or before the start and after the end of the German academic semester.
If you are 30 years or older, or if your exchange semester will be your 14th semester (or higher) at the university level, you will not be covered by German health insurance and must be privately insured to be matriculated. The UCEAP Travel Insurance has been sufficient to fulfill this requirement in the past. The Study Center staff will assist you in obtaining an insurance waiver from AOK.
A list of English-speaking doctors is available at the U.S. Embassy’s website.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Good medical care is widely available. A hospital stay or medical treatment is expensive, and immediate cash payment is often expected. German hospitals do not issue the detailed breakdown of expenses. Such a detailed bill has to be requested from the hospital or the doctor.
If you are sick or injured, contact the Study Center staff. They can help you find referrals and guide you to make an appointment.  The UCEAP travel insurance will reimburse the payment of covered medical services.  You will need to file a claim. If you have questions about your benefits or the insurance claims process, contact ACI at
​A list of English-speaking doctors in Berlin is available at the U.S. Embassy’s website. For more information, read the Physical Health section in this guide.
Physical Health
If you feel sick or have a medical emergency, seek medical attention and contact the Study Center or local program manager immediately. Study Center staff will have recommendations on which clinic to visit and the necessary UCEAP insurance claim process to follow. If arrangements need to be made with your professors due to extended absence from class, Study Center staff may be able to assist.

Know Before you Go

Inform yourself before you travel.  Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care.  Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications
If you are taking a prescribed medication, take an ample supply to last through your stay provided your U.S. doctor can prescribe the whole amount and it is considered legal in Germany. For more information, German Federal Ministry of Finance, Medicinal Products and Narcotics.
Medications containing amphetamines and derivatives are illegal in Germany (e.g. Adderall). German customs restricts the amount of narcotic medications a traveler may bring into the country. If a 3‐month supply is permitted, it must be accompanied by detailed documentation by the attending physician, and it must be carried in its original package. Students who will need more than a 3‐month supply of medication will need to obtain a new prescription from a physician in Germany. The Study Center may be able to help you make an appointment with an English-speaking German doctor who can consider prescribing you the medication (provided it is licensed and legal in Germany) for the remaining months you will be in Germany. You will need a letter from your treating physician indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen. 

Mailing Medications

German law prohibits the mailing or shipment of drugs, including prescription medicines, to private persons in Germany. If you attempt to have someone mail you medication from the U.S., it will likely be confiscated by the German customs department.


  • Understand your UCEAP travel insurance terms of coverage.
  • If you need a refill while abroad, you must see a local doctor. US prescriptions are not valid in other countries.  Note:​ If the visit to the local doctor is considered preventive care, it will not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance; your campus or private insurance plan may cover it.  You must travel with a letter from your prescribing explaining your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name. 
  • If you need to find out if this appointment would be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance, contact ACI at For more information about the UCEAP travel insurance, refer to your UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, or your pre-departure checklist, Insurance tab.
  • Two classes of medicines – narcotics and psychotropics – are under the control of international law. This covers any medicine that can have an effect on the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the potential to be abused. The narcotic class mostly relates to analgesic opioids and their derivatives (e.g. morphine and codeine) which tend to be highly regulated. Psychotropics are all those medications likely to be used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychotic conditions.

Before Departure

  • If you plan to purchase medication using the UCEAP Travel Insurance coverage, you must fill and pay for medication when coverage is effective (14 days before the official start of the program).  Do not assume that your local pharmacy knows about the UCEAP travel insurance policy.  It is not the same as your campus health insurance coverage. You will need to pay for the medication and submit a claim to the UCEAP insurance.
  • Find out whether your medication is legal in your UCEAP country.
  • If traveling with a prescription containing controlled substances, review international agreements governing the transportation of medications across borders check the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) website. The INCB is responsible for international drug control. If traveling with controlled substances, you must have a letter from your doctor. Generally, amphetamines (e.g., Adderall, Vyvanse) are illegal in other countries. Talk with your doctor to switch you to another medication.
  • Talk to your doctor to see whether he/she can prescribe an adequate supply of your prescription medication to last through the end of the program.  Ask your doctor how to adjust your dosage depending on time zone changes.
  • Get a letter from the prescribing physician, on letterhead, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name as brand names vary considerably around the world.

Traveling with prescription medications

  • Keep the medication in its original packaging clearly labelled with your name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage. Carry it in your carry-on luggage, provided it is in pill or solid form. For more information, particularly if your medication is in liquid form, consult the US Transportation Security Administration., Traveling with Medications.
  • Carry copies of all original US prescriptions.
  • Carry the letter on letterhead from the prescribing physician for all prescribed medications, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic names. This is extremely important in case you need treatment or a medication refill abroad.

Why is a letter from your treating physician necessary? 

If your particular medication cannot be taken into the country, talk to your doctor.  If you need to switch prescriptions, your doctor may need to make changes to your medication at least 3-6 months before departure to monitor side effects and dosage.  The letter from your doctor indicating condition, treatment and medication regimen, can help a local physician to assess you and to consider reissuing your prescription provided it is licensed in your UCEAP country. Note that the local doctor's appointment for medication refill may not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.

Consult with ACI, Read more in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health section.

Mental Health
The Studentenwerk in Berlin offers counseling services. Such services are also available at each university. The following are some contacts:
Studentenwerk Berlin-Psychological Counseling
Confidential counseling is free of charge and available in English. Studentenwerk provides services to students of all public universities, Hochschulen and Fachhochschulen in Berlin. Web: You can visit at either of the two locations below; in Charlottenburg or in Friedrichshain.
Hardenbergstr. 35
10623 Berlin-Charlottenburg
Phone: (030) 939 39 8401
Franz-Mehring-Platz 2-3, Haus 2
10243 Berlin Friedrichshain
Phone: (030) 939 39 8438
 Free University Psychological Counseling (available in English)
Center for Academic Advising and Psychological Counseling
Iltisstr. 4, 14195 Berlin
(subway station U3 Dahlem Dorf)
The Psychological Counseling Service of Free University Berlin offers individual counseling, training seminars and workshops. They provide support to student with their personal development and to improve academic competencies.
Many students visit Counseling Services. Examples follow:
  • Motivation, orientation and decision problems
  • Exam anxiety and fear of public speaking
  • Writer’s block
  • Learning problems and procrastination
  • Stress, overextension, depression
To arrange a first appointment, contact
You can also contact the Student Services Center (SSC) at Free University, Berlin, for general academic advising.
Humboldt University Psychological Counseling (available in German only)
Counseling on main campus in Mitte:
Humboldt Universität main building
Unter den Linden 6, Room 1043 (ground floor, west wing)
10099 Berlin
Phone: (030) 20 93 70272, Wednesdays 1-3pm, for appointments and general information
Counseling on Adlershof Campus:
Brook-Taylor-Str. 2, staircase C, Room 1'302
12489 Berlin
Phone: (030) 2093-5585, Tuesdays 10am-12pm, for appointments and general information
Technical University Psychological Counseling (available in English)
H 59/60/61, Main building
Straße des 17. Juni 135
10623 Berlin
Phone: + 49 (030) 314-24875/25382
Opening hours: Tues 3-5 p.m. and Thurs 10:30am-12:30pm.  By telephone: Mon, Wed, Thu 2-2:30 p.m.
If you are currently in treatment in the U.S., discuss your UCEAP program details with your doctor so you can work on a plan in case you need to reach out for care. If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician before departure about getting the supply you need for going abroad.  For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.​

Your mental health is important to us all. Create a plan with your treating doctor. Managing your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a pre-existing condition – is something every person must think about when going abroad. Being away from usual stress at home can sometimes be a relief when abroad; experiencing new adventures can be a useful distraction. You will also have times when you feel confused, uncomfortable, annoyed, and many of the same emotions that you manage in your daily life at home.
Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.

You may feel homesick or sad. Feeling down, anxious, homesick, depressed or stressed might be your body’s reaction to the new environment and different life away from your usual support network. Don't cope alone.  Reach out for help to the local UCEAP program staff and your friends.  If you have been feeling unhappy for longer than a few days, or it is staring to affect your enjoyment of life and/or your studies, then you should see a doctor immediately.
The UCEAP travel insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at
Health Risks
Food Allergies
Students with severe food allergies should take precautions, as the cuisine may include ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis in those affected. A language barrier increases the risks associated with severe food allergies. 
Precautions to take include:
  • Research the local cuisine. Be aware that some popular local sauces may contain nuts.
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor six to eight weeks before departure to discuss your treatment plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need to prevent an adverse reaction like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, with your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions for assistance in both English and the local language. Wearing medical identification at all times can help should a life-threatening reaction occur.
  • Tell others about your food allergy.
  • Carry a card written in English and the local language explaining what foods cause allergies and possible reaction. Make several copies in case you lose one. Be sure to have a native speaker verify that you have written everything correctly.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Air Quality
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Read all information provided to minimize your risks and staying healthy while travelling. Know who your local contacts are during an emergency. Make informed, responsible, and reasonable decisions concerning your health and safety while abroad.
There are some strategies you can practice anywhere in the world to minimize your risks. Personal safety starts with awareness. To be alert to potential dangers and risks to your well-being, you need to be aware of what is going on in your immediate environment. The choices you make about your behavior, attire, travel, personal property, relationships, etc., can directly influence your exposure to risk. 
The purpose of this advice is to provide up-to-date information so you can make well-informed decisions.​

You play an active role in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. Consider an action plan.

With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing personal risks. Take time to assess the risks, plan ahead to reduce them, and think how you would lessen the consequences if things go wrong. Start by outlining activities you plan to engage in through your program and/or during independent travel; label the risk and rate it based on the likelihood of harm and the severity of consequences. Consider measures you can take to reduce the severity and chance. Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and has contracted with emergency assistance and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. 
Be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate and unpredictable terrorist attacks, which make it impossible to protect yourself from. Remain vigilant in all public areas in your UCEAP city and country and wherever you travel. Many terrorist groups, seeking publicity for political causes within their own country or region, are not looking for student or higher education targets.

Terrorist attacks using vehicles are very hard to prevent and appear to be on the rise. If you are in a crowded public place, know how you can exit quickly, identify barriers or safe places where you can shelter-in-place, and watch out for any vehicles that appear to be going at very high speed.

Report anything suspicious to local authorities.  Read all security-related correspondence and advice from local staff.  Schedule direct flights, if possible.  Avoid stops in high-risk airports or areas. Minimize time spent in the public area of an airport, which is a less protected area.  Keep a mental note of safe havens, such as police stations, hotels, and hospitals. Have a plan for what you will do in the case of an emergency.  If you are ever caught in a situation where somebody starts shooting, follow the active shooter guidelines: drop to the floor, get down as low as possible, and hide if possible.  Cover yourself behind a solid object. Silence your phone. Do not move until the danger has passed.

Steps to manage or minimize risk and enhance your personal safety

  • Familiarize yourself with all UCEAP resources and emergency support services while on UCEAP.

  • Assess your surroundings.  Learn to recognize danger.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones.

  • When entering larger venues, always decide on a meeting place with those you are with just in case you get separated. Always identify possible exits.

  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Assess reasonable and safe options. Trust your "gut feelings"; if you feel threatened, act if safe to do so and leave the area immediately. Find somewhere more secure.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter before you travel. 
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking. Know your limits. In many countries beer, wine and liquor in some countries contains a higher alcohol content than similar products in the U.S. Know what you are drinking and how much alcohol it contains.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?
Register online with the U.S. embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
Read the UCEAP the Guide to Study Abroad, Safety Chapter  for more information on how to prepare to have a safe experience and access the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.
Crime & Prevention
The U.S. Department of State assesses a “Medium” rating for criminal activity in all German cities in which a U.S. diplomatic presence exists. The Bundeskriminalamt’s (BKA) 2014 Police Crime Statistics for Germany (the latest available) indicated slight increases in crime in the areas of bicycle thefts, pickpocketing and credit card fraud. 
Crime in Germany is low in western cities and higher in the east, especially Berlin. Violent crime is rare. There are, however, several cases each year of attacks by right-wing gangs, usually on foreigners or immigrants who are of African or Asian descent. Larger cities, like Berlin and Frankfurt, have a fair amount of street crime (usually theft of unattended items and pick-pocketing). Pickpockets frequent tourist areas, subways, and train stations. You can find a "Infosäule" (emergency phone in platform column) at the station to ask for help if needed.

Individuals planning to visit Germany can find extensive information regarding crime statistics and German crime prevention programs on the German Federal Office of Criminal Investigation (Bundeskriminalamt) website at 

Read and periodically review UCEAP health and safety information, remain in contact with the Study Center, and be aware of your surroundings and be cautious at all times. While not required by law, you should have identification with you at all times.
Be especially alert about unattended packages, avoid rush-hour mass transit when feasible, etc. Monitor local media and stay informed of regional and local events that could quickly impact the security environment in Germany.
Illegal drugs, particularly cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and marijuana, are unfortunately widely available. The illegal sale and distribution of these and other drugs often occur near major train stations, public parks, and nightclubs, so be vigilant in these places. While drug-related activity does not usually affect American tourists or business travelers, Americans should be aware that Germany has the same types of drug-related crime as those encountered in any major U.S. city.

Petty Theft

As is the case both at home and abroad, you must guard against petty theft. Use common sense and follow the same personal safety techniques that you would use at home. Lock your doors and secure your bike and other possessions to prevent theft. On buses and in crowds, secure wallets and purses. Avoid deserted, isolated areas—especially at night. Travel in groups. In Berlin, take the same precautions as you would in any large city. Jogging or walking alone after dark along the “wall” or in parks is not advised.


Beware of the “ticket scam” in Germany. One of the most common scams in European cities involves the sale of counterfeit or worthless tickets to local or international sporting events. Potential victims are enticed on the street, in public transport centers, or outside of stadiums or sports complexes to purchase these worthless tickets to sold-out events.
Only buy tickets at authorized ticket sales offices on location or through a hotel or travel agency.
Civil Unrest
Germany experiences a number of demonstrations every year on different political, economic and social themes. These demonstrations may have a tendency to spread and to turn violent, and anyone in the general area can become the victim of a random attack.
Many well-planned and publicized demonstrations protesting government policies draw thousands of participants, and spontaneous demonstrations concerning education and other economic and social issues occur almost daily. Such demonstrations in Berlin typically take place on Unter den Linden near the Brandenburg Gate, in Munich at Marienplatz, and in Frankfurt at the Roemer City Hall and Opernplatz. No matter what the theme is of a given demonstration, such events can turn violent very quickly and should be avoided.​​
Prior police approval is required for public demonstrations in Germany, and police oversight is routinely provided to ensure adequate security for participants and passersby. Nonetheless, situations may develop that could pose a threat to public safety. It is best to avoid the area around protests and demonstrations and to check local media for updates.
Avoid areas around protests and demonstrations and check local media for updates on the situation and traffic advisories. 
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Travel by public transportation in Germany is usually secure although you should always exercise common sense if you are unfamiliar with the local crime situation. Never travel alone. When taking public transportation at night, avoid dark and empty S- and U-Bahn stations, and sit in the front of the bus or in the front car, near the driver.
Buses, commuter trains, trams, and their stations are havens for thieves, pickpockets and purse-snatchers. Keep all loose items such as cameras, maps, snacks, and purses within a larger and securable carrying bag, and keep it in front of you.

Bicycle Safety

Many sidewalks have dedicated bike lanes, usually separated from the pedestrian area of the sidewalk by a white line. Bicycles have priority use of these lanes. Bicyclists also have priority over cars when turning onto side streets.

Pedestrian Safety

  • Watch for bicyclists before crossing or stepping into bike lanes.
  • Be predictable (walk in more or less a straight direction).
  • Don't wear headphones or talk on a cell phone while crossing.
  • Use sidewalks where provided. Where no sidewalks are provided, it is usually safer to walk facing road traffic.
  • Cross or enter streets at designated crosswalks.  Make it easy for drivers to see you - dress in light colors and wear retro-reflective material. Carry a flashlight in very dark areas.
  • Don't assume vehicles will stop; make eye contact with drivers, don't just look at the vehicle. If a driver is on a cell phone, they may not be paying enough attention to drive safely.
  • Don't rely solely on pedestrian signals; look before you cross the road.
Germany is generally an open society. The level of acceptance of cultural and racial differences varies. In general, university towns and large cities are very diverse and tolerant places.
In certain areas of Germany, especially in eastern Berlin or eastern Germany, gangs of young people can cause trouble. While U.S. citizens have not been specific targets, several Americans have reported that they were verbally assaulted for racial reasons or because they appeared “foreign.” For this reason, minorities must be careful in certain areas in eastern Germany or in Berlin’s eastern districts that are frequented by skinheads (such as Marzahn).
Right-wing extremism remains a center-stage issue and is on the rise.  Hooligans, most often drunken “skinheads,” have been known to harass or even attack people whom they believe to be foreigners or members of rival groups. On occasion, U.S. citizens have reported to the U.S. Embassy that they were assaulted for racial reasons or because they appeared “foreign.”
Exercise caution when congregating in areas known as expatriate hangouts such as restaurants, bars, and discos frequented by high numbers of resident U.S. citizens and/or U.S. citizen tourists, as this could attract unwanted attention from groups of rowdy patrons seeking to start a fight.
Depending on the situation, you may have some different options to deal with this. Whatever you do, make sure that you are safe and are not compromising your own health and safety. If anything does happen, and you sense that people around you will help, yell at your offender using—“Sie!. Lassen Sie mich in Ruhe!”—so people realize that you do not know the person and will be more eager to help. Call on other people for help, addressing them directly—“Sie mit dem roten Pullover, helfen Sie mir!” English is fine, too!
Contact the police to report the incident, and call the UCEAP emergency phone if you need additional assistance.
Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment
​​Every member of the UCEAP community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual violence and sexual harassment, retaliation, and other prohibited behavior (“Prohibited Conduct”) that violates law and/or University policy. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of Prohibited Conduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct, and when necessary, to discipline behavior that violates this Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Report to the local
UCEAP staff and/or partners if you suspect one of these behaviors has occurred.
Fire Safety
The responsible body for operating and equipping fire departments are the German communities (“Gemeinden”) and cities (“Städte”). By law, they are required to operate a firefighting force including Emergency medical services (EMS) in numbers corresponding to the inhabitants of the county or city. In cities, this is usually performed by the Fire Prevention Bureau, one of the higher-ranking authorities.

In case of fire, dial 112.

Follow these general fire safety tips. Most college-related fires in the U.S. are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the U.S. Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Advisory after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, UC security provider, U.S. Embassy, U.S. Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy evacuation on U.S. government-arranged flights, that require U.S. citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP and its security providers, is covered by UCEAP itravel nsurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the U.S.

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.
If you are abroad
Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:
  • If you need immediate emergency assistance call 112 for Police, Ambulance, or Fire Department
  • If necessary, call the emergency number of the U.S. Embassy in Berlin: (030) 8305-0

U.S. Embassy in Berlin

Pariser Platz 2
14191 Berlin
Phone: (030) 8305-0
Fax:     (030) 8305-1215
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.