Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Hong Kong
Approx. Time

Add 16 hours
Hong Kong Polytechnic University


This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network
Academic Information
Program Overview
UCEAP in Hong Kong provides rich academic, business, and cultural opportunities in one of the most diverse, vibrant, and stimulating cities in the world. You have a remarkable opportunity to study the innovative “one country, two systems” arrangement; Hong Kong is governed as a Special Administrative Region (SAR) under Chinese sovereignty, and it is deeply engaged with the world. Hong Kong also remains an outstanding academic location for studying China and all of Asia.
Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is our newest partner with a focus on strong coursework in the area of engineering. Instruction is in English.
Chinese (Cantonese) language study is not required, but is highly recommended, as Cantonese is the primary language of Hong Kong. Former UCEAP students have commented that knowing just a little Cantonese made a big difference.
Academic Culture
Course Information
You may select from regular university courses taught in English in a broad range of subjects that are open to exchange students. Course information is listed on the PolyU website and individual courses are referred to as subjects.
Some China-related courses, or some courses offered by the Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies and the Department of Applied Social Sciences, are taught in Chinese or Cantonese.
  • Minimum of 22.5 UC quarter units each semester (15 PolyU units); usually five courses. Most courses are 3 PolyU units (4.5 UC quarter units).
  • The majority of your courses (50 percent or more) must be taken in the faculty in which you are placed.

Course Information

Chinese (Putonghua) language study is offered by the Chinese Language Center at eight levels from beginning to advanced courses for 4.5 UC quarter units each. Beginning Cantonese is also available.
You will do preliminary course selection as part of the host university application provided in the UCEAP Predeparture Checklist. This will determine the faculty in which you will be placed. It is important to select courses carefully as you will not be able to change your faculty. Courses start with an alpha numeric code (e.g., ABCT 212, Introductory Cell Biology and Biochemistry) that denotes the department and the level of the course. Courses with a numeric code that starts with a 1 or 2 are usually introductory courses that will be catalogued as lower-division for UCEAP. Courses with a numeric code that starts with a 3 or 4 are more advanced and will be upper-division courses, which usually have prerequisites.
You can make changes to your registered courses from one week before the start of semester until the end of the first week of semester.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Cultural Adjustments
Conduct in Relationships
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Travel Documents
Packing Tips
Return Travel
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Wireless Internet is available anywhere on the HK PolyU campus. Multi-purpose PC workstations with MS Office applications installed can be found in Student Computer Centers located at Li Ka Shing Tower and Pao Yu Kong Library. A computer room is available in the Student Halls of Residence and all HK PolyU dormitory rooms are wired for computer access.
Mail & Shipments
There are multiple dormitory options. You will receive your mailing address after arrival in Hong Kong.
Housing & Meals
General Housing Information
Q: What are the housing options at HK PolyU?
A: The Student Halls of Residence comprise eight undergraduate halls and one postgraduate hall. The halls are adjacent to the university campus within 10 minutes’ walk.
Q: What types of facilities are available?
A: All rooms are shared and fully furnished with a shared bathroom between two adjacent rooms. Each room is air-conditioned and equipped with a phone and broadband Internet access. Hall facilities include function rooms, laundry rooms, a dining hall, a swimming pool, a computer room, and a fitness room.
Q: Are linens and towels included?
A: No. You will need to pack or buy your own bedding and towels upon arrival.
Q: What are the housing regulations?
A: Each hall is independently administered by a Hall Warden and assisted by Hall Tutors. The Hall Warden is an academic staff member appointed to provide support to student residents, guidance to hall activities, and enforcement of hall rules. A Hall Tutor, usually a postgraduate student, is assigned to each floor to assist the Hall Warden by serving as the first contact point for student residents and ensuring a peaceful living environment. While regulations may vary slightly depending on your assigned hall, the social climate and personal moral codes are generally conservative. You are expected to abide by all rules and regulations.
Q: Are the rooms cleaned?
A: You will be responsible for cleaning your own room and the common rooms—the cleanliness of these areas will be determined by the cleanliness of the tenants. While the university’s facilities are generally modern and convenient, it takes time to adjust to the new living conditions. The halls are kept in sanitary condition but may not be as clean and well furnished as facilities at UC.
Q: Do I have to live at the HK PolyU Student Residence Halls?
A: It is highly recommended that you live in the halls to get the most out of your experience. However, you may seek permission from HK PolyU to live elsewhere. UCEAP and HK PolyU do not provide assistance with outside housing. It would be your responsibility to research all options and understand the leasing terms.
Q: Can I select my hall and roommate?
A: You can indicate your preferences on your housing application. However, HK PolyU will determine hall and roommate assignments.

How to Prepare

Q: Is a housing application required?
A: You will complete an online housing application as part of your HK PolyU acceptance packet. A final notification about your housing placement will be sent via e-mail prior to departure.
Q: How much does housing cost and how are fees collected?
A: Student Residence Halls cost approximately HK $6,000 per term. You are also responsible for a variety of housing-related fees. This includes a HK $500 refundable deposit (hall caution money) and HK $100/term hall function fee (costs are subject to change). All housing fees are paid in cash or e-payment directly to Hong Kong PolyU via Hang Seng Bank. You will receive more information about housing cost, related fees, and payment methods via e-mail prior to departure.
Students are required to pay the caution money on or before the specified payment due date in the notification e-mail to confirm acceptance of their housing offer. Upon receipt of the caution money, HK PolyU will update the status of the applicant to Provisional Hall Resident. Those who fail to pay this amount will have their residential offers withdrawn.
Provisional Hall Residents will receive an invoice and are required to submit payment by a specified deadline. Once the payment is received, the status of Provisional Resident will be changed to Hall Resident. Students who do not pay their invoice will lose their hall caution money and room.
Q: When do the halls open?
A: The halls usually open one to two days before orientation. If you arrive in Hong Kong before that time, arrange for temporary accommodations in a hotel or with family (if applicable). See the UCEAP program calendar for details.
Q: How do I get from the halls to classes?
A: Most students walk to classes, but you can also take public transportation such as buses.
Meals in Hong Kong
There are seven on-campus eateries available to students. HK PolyU canteens, restaurants, and cafés serve a range of Asian and Western cuisines to suit different needs of the university community. Meals on campus typically cost between HK $20 and HK$30. You can also dine in the Student Residence Hall Restaurant which has about 1,000 seats and serves local and Western food and Chinese dim sum.
In addition, there are many restaurants located in the Hung Hom, Whampoa, and Tsim Sha Tsui East areas, which are within walking distance of campus and the Student Residence Halls.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Extracurricular Activities
Students with Disabilities
Travel Sign-out Form
Newspapers & Television
UCEAP Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities

University Health Centers

University health centers serve as primary care facilities and provide clinical services to all local and international students. The host university is not responsible for any charges incurred for visits with a private physician without a referral from a university health center physician.
There is a University Health Service clinic located in the Chung Sze Yuen building at HK PolyU. The clinic provides primary health care services to students. Dental care and traditional Chinese medicine services are also available. If hospitalization is required, students are referred to Queen Elizabeth hospital, which is the nearest public hospital.
Physical Health
Prescription Medications
Mental Health
Health Risks
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
U.S. Department of State Registration
Natural Disasters
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.