Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Add 8 hours
Science & Engineering Summer School, Univ. College Dublin

- Summer

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, health and safety, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Operations Specialist
Diane Lindsey
Phone: (805) 893-3246; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Andrea Nuernberger 
Phone: (805) 893-2810; E-mail:
Program Advisor​
Hannah Irvine
Phone: (805) 893-3246; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Omead Poure
Phone: (805) 893-4778; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823

Phone: (805) 893-3246; Fax: (805) 893-2583 

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Predeparture Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad​, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP Ireland page.

Study Centers Abroad

This program is administered from a UCEAP Study Center with a UC Academic Liaison and program officers. Study Center locations are in London and Edinburgh. Study Center staff will advise you on academic matters and ensure that your academic program meets UC requirements. They also provide general information and help with living in Ireland. The host university also has advisors who will work with you to plan your course of study.
The Study Center is the first point of contact for advice or assistance during the year.

Contact Information 

Edinburgh Study Center
25 Buccleuch Street
Edinburgh EH8 9LN
Scotland, United Kingdom
Phone (calling from the U.S.): (011-44-131) 662-8988

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code ......... 011     (dial this to call from the U.S.)
Ireland country code .............353
Dublin city code .................. 1
Cork city code ................... .21
Galway city code .................91

Approximate Time Difference

Add 8 hours
Academic Information
Program Overview

University Information

University College Dublin (UCD) is the largest university in Ireland (some 25,000 students attend during the academic year) but no Irish students will be on campus during the summer.

Program Description 

The program is divided into two, four-week sessions. You enroll in Introductory Physics 1 during the first session, and you enroll in Introductory Physics 2 during the second session. You must take both courses, including laboratory experiments.
Active participation and attendance is mandatory for all classes during the term. There is a strict policy on absences and tardiness. You are required to take all exams and complete all required course work and essays.

Academic Culture


During this intensive program, lecturers and teaching assistants are readily available to you. It is your responsibility, however, to inform local staff immediately should you encounter problems during lectures and labs. Note: Faculty members (or instructors) are most often called lecturers (“professor” is a rare title held only by the head of a department or a chairman).

Writing Ability

There is more emphasis on writing at UCD than at UC. Significant emphasis is placed on literacy not only in the humanities and social sciences but also in the sciences. It is the norm that Irish students have excellent writing abilities, and marking down for poor writing, spelling, and grammar is common. Note: Change your laptop setting to “English (Ireland)” and use the Spelling and Grammar function.

Library use

Academic libraries in Ireland may not be as accommodating as UC libraries: the collections tend to be smaller and the hours more restricted.

Materials you need to bring

  • an electronic reading device with WebAssign installed prior to your arrival
  • a non-programmable calculator. You will not be allowed to use any other calculator in the exams. (Examples of an appropriate calculator are the Casio fx-300MS Scientific Calculator or the Texas Instruments TI-30X IIS 2-Line Scientific Calculator.)
  • a black ballpoint pen for your exam answers. Pencil can be used for rough-work but answers will only be taken in black ballpoint
Course Information
You are required to take a full-time course of study while abroad and enroll in a total of 12 quarter/8 semester UC units, two courses. Introductory Physics 1 and 2 earn each 6 quarter/4 semester UC units). 

You must take both courses for a letter grade. Both introductory physics courses will appear as lower division on your UC transcript.
By enrolling in both physics modules, you have the outstanding opportunity to earn credit for a one-year sequence of calculus-based physics at UC.


UCEAP Course registration

In addition to registering at University College Dublin, you must also complete your MyEAP Registration Study List. The Edinburgh Study Center staff will guide you through this process. Be sure to read all e-mails from the Study Center during the registration process. Completing your MyEAP Study List is the only way for your UCEAP courses and grades to appear on your UC transcript. Note:  MyEAP uses UC quarter units exclusively (even for semester campus students).
University College Dublin faculty and staff can help you understand their own rules and regulations, but they are not responsible for knowing UCEAP-specific academic requirements. The UCEAP Study Center staff based in Edinburgh works closely with UCD staff, and you need to contact them if you need to resolve any academic (or other) problems or difficulties throughout your program. You should also let the Study Center know about any issues that may impact your academic performance (illness, housing problems, personal issues, anxiety, or similar concerns) throughout your time in Ireland.

Independent Research Projects

Internships and research are not possible on this program.  
There are several steps involved before the grades you receive at University College Dublin will be posted on your UC transcript. Grades must be submitted to the Study Center, reviewed by the Study Center, signed at the UCEAP Systemwide Office, transmitted to your campus, and then processed at your UC registrar.
Seniors should especially consider these issues to make sure they do not require grades sooner than what may be possible. No individual expediting is possible until the end of the 90-day window, regardless of graduation or graduate school deadlines.
Grades are usually available mid-September.
If you complete the program with outstanding debts of any kind, either to University College Dublin or to UCEAP, your grades will not be sent to your UC registrar until you have paid all debts.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Extension is not possible in this program. However, you can participate in back-to-back programs if you submit a separate application to a fall program. Check the calendar dates of both programs before application and also find out the timing and location to get a visa for the second program.
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
You are encouraged to become acquainted with the Republic of Ireland prior to departure. Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers and magazines and by watching films set in contemporary Ireland. UC libraries subscribe to the main daily newspapers published in Dublin, and weekly or monthly magazines of news and commentary also should be available.

Travel Guides 

UCEAP students report it is wise to acquire a few guidebooks before departure. There are a number of travel books that give comprehensive accommodation, sightseeing, historical, and travel information, covering practically all countries of the world. Suggested travel series include the Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, Blue Guide, Michelin Guide, and Intelligent Traveler’s Guide. Other resources are Time Out, DK, Insight, and Footprint guidebooks.
Adjusting to Irish Culture
You will likely hear about culture shock in your UC campus orientation meetings. Some students feel the term overstates the matter, others feel that shock is just the right term to describe how it feels to adjust to a foreign environment. In any case, adjusting to life, even in a country where the language is the same and much of the popular culture is shared, can present significant challenges.
Though many returned students describe their UCEAP term as “the best time” of their lives, they admit that genuine effort is required to make the adjustment, especially upon arrival.
The climate of Ireland is mild, moist and changeable with abundant rainfall and a lack of temperature extremes.The country receives generally cool summers and mild winters. It is considerably warmer than other areas on the same lattitude, because it lies in the northeastern Atlantic Ocean, and as a result is warmed by the North Atlantic Current all year. Here is a short video on the weather in Ireland.
Social Conduct


Although Irish people may be one of the most stereotyped groups of people around the world, Asian-American students report a significant amount of stereotyping by local citizens (e.g., students are assumed to be Japanese tourists and locals speak a few words of Japanese to them). All Asian-American students report this unexpected behavior.

Drinking & Smoking

You will find quite different practices and attitudes toward drinking and smoking. In general, Irish students use pubs for socializing a great deal, and a night out may be more frequent and involve the consumption of more alcohol than you may be used to. You are not required to adopt this cultural practice and should note that pubs serve a range of nonalcoholic beverages. Coffee shops are becoming increasingly popular. Smoking, while more controlled than a few years ago, is still quite common, especially among university students.

Sexual Orientation

Although the Irish are not as open about sexuality, especially in the smaller cities, you will find that larger cities have well established gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) communities. In addition, most universities offer GLBT clubs. The age of consent for gay males is 17 years. There are no legal prohibitions against lesbianism.
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

Orientation in Dublin:

You must arrive in Dublin on the Official EAP Start Date in the program calendar on the UCEAP website. UCD staff will welcome you to campus with an informative and fun orientation, including a campus tour to help you get your bearings. There will be a separate UCEAP orientation to cover important academic, health, and safety information. Participation at all orientation meetings and events is mandatory.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.

No group flights have been arranged by the program. You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to the Irish university. Even if you are on full financial aid, you are responsible for reserving and purchasing your airline ticket. Your Financial Aid Office is not responsible for purchasing tickets. You are strongly urged to purchase a changeable airline ticket. Standby tickets are not advisable.
You are subject to dismissal from UCEAP if you do not arrive on the Official Start Date and at the place and time specified in the UCEAP program calendar (Student Agreement, Section 10).
The start date of the program can change due to unforeseen circumstances. You are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. In addition, flights are routinely changed or canceled. Confirm your flight schedule with your airline about two weeks before departure. UCEAP is not responsible for any unrecoverable transportation charges incurred for independent travel. In order to be kept informed of any program changes, you must update MyEAP with any changes in your address, e-mail, or phone number.

Customs Fees

Do not ask other students to carry any items abroad for you (laptop, camera, extra bags, etc.) and do not volunteer to do so for others. Airlines may not allow you to carry items for others. If you are allowed to board the plane with the items, Customs abroad may charge you a high duty for those items. They will assume you plan to sell them, especially if you already have similar items of your own. This is particularly a concern with electronic goods.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
Travel Documents
You are not required to present a birth certificate to the host university, even if requested. Your passport is sufficient identification.
Make photocopies of all important documents and keep the copies in a separate location from the originals. Have accessible an electronic list of passport and credit card numbers, and any other personal information that would need to be replaced if stolen or lost.

Entry Clearance (Visa)

You are not required to obtain an entry clearance prior to departure. However, you will be required to show proper documentation of your student status and evidence of financial support in order to pass through Irish immigration. Further information about this process can be found in the UCEAP Predeparture Checklist.
Request a "90-day stamp" in your passport when you arrive in Ireland. 

Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.
Identify all luggage on the inside and outside with your name, address, and destination (the international office at the host university is preferable). Pack lightly, as all carriers have weight restrictions. Luggage restrictions vary by airline.
Objects such as scissors, pocket knives, knitting needles, nail clippers, etc., must be packed in your checked luggage; they will be confiscated if found in your carry-on luggage.


  • Clothing that is washable and quick drying
  • Clothing that can be layered (T-shirt, fleece or lined vest, cardigan/pullover sweater)
  • Jeans and fleece-lined pants
  • Lightweight and warm jackets
  • Warm socks
  • Scarf and gloves
  • Flip-flops, walking shoes, casual footwear
  • One dressy outfit
  • Coat (thrift shops sell good quality coats appropriate for the weather)
  • Umbrella
  • Rainwear and rain boots (available at all large department stores)


  • Bathrobe and slippers
  • Beach towel
  • Lightweight blanket
  • Seat pad (good for train and bus travel)
  • Travel-size sleeping bag
  • Empty backpack (to bring home items purchased abroad)
  • Travel alarm clock and flashlight
  • Small gifts for new friends (with UC logo or California designs)

Do Not Pack

  • Medications that are illegal in Ireland
  • Fragile items, unless they are bubble-wrapped


The electrical current used abroad is 50 cycles AC rather than the 60 cycles current used in the U.S., and voltage abroad is 220–250 rather than the standard U.S. 110–125 volts for small appliances. Most electrical outlets abroad have three-pronged sockets. In general, North American appliances need both a converter and an adapter for use abroad. However, travel irons, curling irons, blow-dryers, electric razors, etc., can be purchased in the U.S. with either a built-in converter or a dual voltage function. These appliances will need only an adapter to be used abroad. (Appliances without either a built-in converter or a dual voltage function will need an external converter, which can be purchased at electronics stores or travel specialty shops). U.S. clocks must be battery-driven to operate abroad. UCEAP students recommend that you purchase small appliances once abroad, although they will be more expensive than they are in the U.S.
If you plan to take a laptop, be sure that the AC input of its power supply will accept 240 volts and 50hz (AC input: 100–240V; 50–60hz); if it does not, purchase a transformer before departure. The correct adapter plug (for three-pronged outlets) can be easily found in the U.S. or abroad.
Since the cost of electricity abroad is high, and improper use of appliances may damage both the electrical outlets and the appliances, ask before using the outlets. Some university accommodations will test your appliances to make sure they are compatible. Information on purchasing appliances and accessories can be found on the Magellan’s and Distant Lands websites.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  Review the policy carefully before departure to determine if it is adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions.
Return Travel
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.



Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad

Initial Expenses

Before leaving the U.S., exchange $200 into euros. The funds will be useful upon arrival for snacks, transportation, tips, and unexpected purchases. Some U.S. banks will purchase the foreign currency for you; the process may take a week or more. Dollars can also be exchanged for foreign currency at airports.
Take a bank card that enables access to funds in a U.S. bank account at an ATM. The bank card must have a four-digit PIN. Most U.S. banks will charge currency exchange fees when money is withdrawn from an ATM. The fees can be high. However, Irish banks will not charge currency exchange fees.


Host University Fees

You are not obligated to pay application or registration fees that are normally required by the host university. Disregard these two kinds of fee requests when returning forms to the host university. You are, however, responsible for all housing deposits and expenses, the international student orientation fee (often called the “freshers’ conference fee”), and other charges.
Communications Abroad
It is important for you to keep in contact with your Study Center during the year. The Study Center address is noted in Your UCEAP Network in this guide.
Study Center office hours are generally 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office may be closed for lunch. You may contact the Study Center anytime and leave a message on the answering machine. Until you are settled in at your host university, you can have phone messages left at the Study Center office. Inform callers that the time difference is eight hours ahead of California.
Internet Access
There are two types of public phones in Ireland: coin and calling card. Calling cards are the most convenient method for making calls from public phones and are available from the post office, travel centers, some news agents, and machines on underground platforms. Many pay phones also take major credit cards and charge cards. Unfortunately, phone card phones may not be available in the residence hall and you may have to walk to one elsewhere on or off campus.

Collect Calls

Collect calls are expensive! Do not phone the Study Center this way unless you have an emergency. In Ireland, dial 10 for the operator and for long-distance calls.

Directory Assistance

For information in Ireland, dial 190 for Directory Enquiries and 114 for international calls.

International Phone Calls

You are strongly encouraged to use Skype for all international calls. If using an international calling card, the direct dialing code to the U.S. is: 001 + area code + number. You can call the U.S. collect through the international operator.
Mail & Shipments
Local mail service is usually fast. Airmail takes from six to ten days to or from California.


Packages generally take six to eight weeks to send by surface mail. Host university offices will not accept or store heavy or bulky packages.
Housing & Meals
General Information
You will receive your accommodation information on site when you arrive at UCD. Housing cost is included in your UCEAP fees.You will stay in on-campus housing, Merville Residences, in suites of 4 bedrooms with fully-equipped kitchen and two shared bathrooms. The suites are cleaned weekly and bed linen is changed at the same time. Dorm buildings have laundry rooms and internet connectivity.
UCEAP fees cover breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday-Friday at the cafeteria inside the brand-new Science Center North building, a 5-minute walk from the housing. You are responsible for your own meals on weekends.
Accommodation for Students with Disabilities
Inform your host university of any needs so accommodation in services or housing can be made if at all possible. You must provide a letter from your UC campus Disabled Students Office requesting specific services. Accessible housing is available but needs to be reserved early. Professors will give extra time on exams if required. Note-takers are not available. You will need to borrow notes from your classmates or record the lectures (each professor’s permission must be obtained to record his or her lectures).​

Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
There are a number of modes of public transport in the Greater Dublin area and it is fairly easy to avail. Roads and local rails are the best way to move from one point in dublin to another. For transportation within dublin, you can hire a cab or taxi for a fixed period of time from the hiring agencies. This is the best way of transportation in dublin as you can take all the time you need to appreciate the various attractions. Other ways of transportation in dublin include taking the local bus. Local Transport in dublin is quite easily accessible. There are many different modes of transportation within dublin like Car, Train, Bus & Taxi. Check out local/public transport of dublin.

Storage While Traveling

Numerous sites exist where you can store luggage, either during breaks or while traveling after the end of the program. Most storage sites are usually at airports, underground stations, and train stations. Rates and hours will vary, so confirm all details in advance.
Extracurricular Activities
You have access to an exciting social and cultural program that enhances your experience of living in “Irish culture.” This program is included at no extra cost. Typical activities may include:
  • Wicklow mountain walk
  • Hurling match
  • Castle Tour
  • Irish Dancing
  • Traditional Irish Music
  • Trip to the Races
The gym within the hall of residence is free for you to use. For a charge, you can make use of the cutting-edge sports facilities, including an Olympic sized swimming pool, climbing wall, dance and spinning studios, and more.
Students with Disabilities
Irish law requires access to public buildings for persons with disabilities, and this requirement is enforced. Public service providers should ensure the service is accessible to those with mobility, sensory, and/or cognitive disabilities.
The majority of buses and trains in the main city areas of Ireland are now equipped for individuals with limited mobility, sight, or hearing disabilities, although some train stations and pathways may not be as easily accessible. Mainline and suburban trains require special portable ramps to permit boarding from the platforms to the carriages. These are available at all terminal points and major junctions and stations that have staff on duty. They are also available on some trains. Travelers are advised to contact the local railway station in advance to ensure such facilities are available.

Have a Plan

  • Be realistic about your condition and its impact, on your worst and best days.
  • Have a plan for what to do during flare ups, along with a list of signs indicative of not being able to cope.
  • Regardless of how you have managed your disability on your campus, you may have to address the tension between the program structure and the need for flexibility demanded by the typical, sometimes daily, fluctuations of your condition.
For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the US), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad
The work situation in Ireland is quite different from other countries due to an impacted job market and high unemployment rates. Visiting students must apply for a work permit, which may or may not be granted. The permit process takes six months to a year. Therefore, do not expect to earn money during your time abroad.
LGBTIQ Students
​There are no laws that criminalize consensual same-sex sexual conduct between adults. The law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation with respect to employment, goods, services, and education. However, same-sex couples are prohibited from obtaining a marriage license in the country.
​For more information,
UCEAP Insurance

Know Before You Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy. Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy is not the same as your campus or private insurance. Inform yourself before seeking care. Your UCEAP Travel Insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. You will be financially responsible for any charges for medical services that are not included benefits in the policy and for any charges over an above the “maximum allowable amount”. Your travel insurance policy number is ADD N04834823. It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
The travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis. There is no deductible or co-insurance. You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses. For more information about the medical claim process or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance. Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country). It is the patient's responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits, and Claims Status

Contact ACI at

Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
You will receive more informmation during onsite orientation. The School of Physics staff will provide you asssistance to schedule medical appointments during working hours. Outside working hours, contact DUB-DOC +353 1 454 5607 if you need assistance. 
If you need a referral to a specialist, or if your US doctor considers that you should continue with treatment while in Ireland, carry a detailed letter from your US doctor. This letter should specify your condition, treatment, medication regime, and contact details for your doctor in the US.

The specialist, general practitioner, or any other medical services will charge fees. All services must be paid up front. If you are sick or injured and receive medical treatment, you can then submit a claim form for reimbursement to the UCEAP travel insurance provider. If you have questions about benefits provided by your UCEAP Travel Insurance policy or need information about the claim process, contact ACI at
Physical Health
If you feel sick or have a medical emergency, seek medical attention and contact the UC Physics Summer Session local support staff immediately. They can provide advice about the Irish health system, the UCEAP insurance claims process, and help if extended absence from class is expected.

Know Before You Go

Inform yourself before you travel. Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care. Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications

Plan Before Departure

Continue with your prescription medication, as indicated by your doctor, especially while abroad. Cultural, environmental and academic differences may create triggers.
​If you take psychotropic medications (e.g., Adderall, Vyvanse, Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin):
Talk to your doctor. Travelers cannot enter the country with controlled substances or products containing controlled substances (cannabis, heroin, and amphetamines). You must have a letter from your doctor detailing the following: your condition, treatment, prescription medication regimen, a copy of the prescription, and your doctor's contact information to facilitate answering any questions by Customs officers.
The Customs National Drugs Team has dog units located at airports and ferryports. The drug detector dogs are trained to detect drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, heroin, and amphetamines. There are penalties for drugs offenses in Ireland. Ask your prescribing doctor if your medicine contains controlled substances.
A prescription issued by a physician in the US will not be dispensed by a pharmacy in Ireland. The prescription must be issued by a licensed doctor in Ireland. In general, approved prescribed drugs and medicines are provided by the retail pharmacy (chemist's shop). You will need to make an appointment with a local doctor to be assessed. The local doctor will then decide if he/she agrees with the treatment and may or may not proceed to issue a refill for your prescription. The letter from your doctor will be needed for this appointment as the local doctor will need clear and sufficient detail about your medical condition and medication regimen. The local doctor will not reissue your US prescription if the medication is not licensed for use in Ireland, or not licensed for the therapeutic indication given. 
Over-the-counter medications of most types are available, but many US brands are not (ask the pharmacist for substitutes). Some over-the-counter medications in the US may require a prescription in Ireland.

Traveling with Prescription Medications

  • Keep the medication in its original packaging. Ensure that it is clearly labelled with your full passport name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage. Carry it in your carry-on luggage. Do not pack the medications in your checked luggage.  
  • Carry copies of all original prescriptions.
  • Carry the letter on letterhead from the prescribing physician for all prescribed medications, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic names. This is extremely important in case you need treatment or a medication refill abroad.
  •  Verify your medications with
Mental Health
Culture shock and feelings of homesickness are normal. They usually last a couple of weeks and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Adjust your expectations, eat well and drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, and share any concerns with the Study Center.
The UCEAP travel insurance will cover your visits to a private physician, if necessary. The UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit receipts to the UCEAP insurance company for reimbursement.
Ask the UCEAP Study Center or host institution staff for referrals. Read the Insurance chapter in your UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Psychological and counseling services are not available on the University College Dublin campus during the summer. All students are able to access care off-campus at nearby psychological and counseling centers. Contact the UC Physics Summer Session program support staff so they can help you make suitable appointments with any of the following counseling centers. You must pay for services at the time they are rendered and submit a claim through the UCEAP insurance company. For questions about benefits and claim processing, email

Counseling Services for Students - Dublin Area

My Mind, 1 Chelmsford Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6
Tel. 0766801060
€20-€50 with Trainee Graduate Practitioner - Limited Service
The Dublin Psychoanalytic Clinic, Kimmage Medical Centre, 202 Kimmage Road West, Dublin 12
Tel. 01 272 2928
€20 with Trainee Graduate Practitioner
Dublin Counselling and Therapy Centre, 41 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1
Tel. 01 878 8236
€40- €60
Clanwilliam Institute, 18 Clanwilliam Terrace, Grand Canal Quay, Dublin 2
Tel. 01 676 1363/676 2881
Arduna Counselling and Therapy , 54 Clontarf Road, Dublin 3
Tel. 01 833 2733
Health Risks
Food Allergies
​Students with severe food allergies should take precautions:
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor.
  • Carry symptom-reducing medications at all times, including epinephrine.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet with instructions for how to assist.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Air Quality
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk

Safety is our concern but it is your responsibility. Be proactive in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. Have an action plan.

With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing personal risks. Observe and assess the risks, plan ahead to reduce them, and think how you would lessen the consequences if things go wrong. Start by outlining activities you plan to engage in through your program and/or during independent travel; label the risk and rate it based on the likelihood of harm and the severity of consequences. Consider measures you can take to reduce the severity and chance. Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.


Be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate and unpredictable terrorist attacks, which make it impossible to protect yourself from. Remain vigilant in all public areas in your UCEAP city and country and wherever you travel. Many terrorist groups, seeking publicity for political causes within their own country or region, are not looking for student or higher education targets.
Terrorist attacks using vehicles are very hard to prevent and appear to be on the rise. If you are in a crowded public place, know how you can exit quickly, identify barriers or safe places where you can shelter-in-place, and watch out for any vehicles that appear to be going at very high speed.

Report anything suspicious to local authorities.  Read all security-related correspondence and advice from local staff.  Schedule direct flights, if possible.  Avoid stops in high-risk airports or areas. Minimize time spent in the public area of an airport, which is a less protected area.  Keep a mental note of safe havens, such as police stations, hotels, and hospitals. Have a plan for what you will do in the case of an emergency.  If you are ever caught in a situation where somebody starts shooting, follow the active shooter guidelines: drop to the floor, get down as low as possible, and hide if possible.  Cover yourself behind a solid object. Silence your phone. Do not move until the danger has passed.

Steps to manage or minimize risk and enhance your personal safety

  • Familiarize yourself with all UCEAP resources and emergency support services while on UCEAP.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter before you travel.
  • Assess your surroundings. Observe and learn to recognize danger.
  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Assess reasonable and safe options. Trust your feelings; if you feel threatened, act if safe to do so and leave the area immediately. Find somewhere more secure.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones.
  • When entering larger venues, always decide on a meeting place with those you are with in case you get separated. Always identify possible exits.
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking. Know your limits. In many countries beer, wine and liquor in some countries contains a higher alcohol content than similar products in the US. Know what you are drinking and how much alcohol it contains.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety. This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other. Choose your buddy wisely. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call locally if you are in an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?

Registration with the local US Embassy or Consulate

Register online with the US embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service for US citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.

Registration with the UCEAP Security Provider

You will be automatically registered with iJET International, the University of California security provider. You will receive important security and informational messages about local conditions for your program country.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and has contracted with emergency assistance and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, for more information. Access the US Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.
Crime & Prevention
Ireland is a reasonably safe country. Most crime in Ireland is non-violent petty crime, and takes place in densely populated cities (Dublin, Limerick). Ireland has drug and violent criminal activity, but these incidents are generally confined to gang and organized criminal communities. Be as careful of your handbag or wallet as you would be in any major city.


  • Keep valuables safely secured (buttoned/zippered pockets, money belts, fastened bags).
  • Never leave bags, backpacks, or suitcases unattended, not even in locked cars.
  • Burglary is on the rise in the student residences. Keep your room door locked at all times, and store valuable items in locked drawers or closets.
  • Do not carry large amounts of cash. Unless traveling, leave your passport in a safe place in your room.
  • Always be aware of your surroundings, especially in highly populated areas.
  • Do not leave drinks unattended at bars or restaurants. Drinks can be spiked with illegal substances, leading to incidents of robbery and sexual assaults.

Criminal Penalties

While you are in Ireland, you are subject to local laws, even if you are a US citizen. Foreign laws and legal systems can be vastly different from our own. If you break local laws in Ireland, your US passport will not help you avoid arrest or prosecution. Know what is legal and what is not in your host country. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking illegal drugs in Ireland are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines.
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Ireland’s public transportation system has a good safety record. Intercity bus and train services are good. People drive on the left side of the road. Road conditions are generally good. Country roads can be narrow, uneven, and winding.

Pedestrian Safety

Exercise caution as you walk, especially when walking on narrow winding roads. Motorists may drive through red lights, park on pavements, and drive over crosswalks when pedestrians are using them. Motorists often turn left without signaling and may park at bus stops, forcing pedestrians into the road.
For more information, refer to the Association for Safe International Road Travel website.
Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment
Every member of the UCEAP community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual violence and sexual harassment, retaliation, and other prohibited behavior (“Prohibited Conduct”) that violates law and/or University policy. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of Prohibited Conduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct, and when necessary, to discipline behavior that violates this Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Report to the local
UCEAP staff and/or partners if you suspect one of these behaviors has occurred.
Fire Safety
Most college-related fires in the US are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the US Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Advisory after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, UC security providers, US Embassy, US Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy evacuation on US government-arranged flights, that require US citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP and its experienced security providers, is covered by UCEAP insurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the US

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.
If you are abroad
Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:

US Embassy in Dublin

42 Elgin Road
Dublin 4
During business hours: (+353 1) 668-8777
For emergencies involving American citizens: (+353 1) 668 9612
Main Embassy: (+353 1) 668-9946
American Citizen Services/Passport Unit: (+353 1) 668-8056
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.