Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Add 9 hrs
Business & Economics, University of Commerce Luigi Bocconi

- Fall
- Spring
- Year

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network
Academic Information
Program Overview
Advanced undergraduate and graduate students in business administration, international business, and economics may attend the Business School at the University of Commerce Luigi Bocconi, Milan, for a semester or full year. Bocconi offers an intensive focus on the issues of the developing global economy. It recently has been adding degree programs in innovative areas such as Management of Arts, Culture, and Communication, and International Institutions Management. Courses are taught in English and Italian.
If you wish to take courses in Italian at Bocconi, you must have completed two years of university-level Italian. Most students take their courses in English, but study of Italian language is strongly encouraged because it allows students to better integrate into the Bocconi environment and to take advantage of all the opportunities that both Bocconi and the city of Milan have to offer.

Intensive Language Program

You are required to begin your studies at Bocconi with a two-and-a-half week intensive language program (ILP) offered by Bocconi. Classes offered at the elementary, intermediate, and advanced levels meet 20 hours a week, Monday through Friday. The final exam for the ILP will be on a Saturday. This course—known as the “Italian Crash Course”— is worth 4 UC quarter units (2.7 semester units) and is graded on a P/NP basis only; the letter grade is not available. You may be able to continue your Italian language studies throughout the semester by enrolling in a continuation of the Italian Crash Course through the International Student Desk. This course is also graded on a P/NP basis only. If you choose to continue the Italian Crash Course during the semester you will be charged an additional lab fee that will be assessed by UCEAP.

Fall and Spring Semester

During the semester you attend regular courses at Bocconi.  At the beginning of the term the Academic Coordinator will assist you in completing your Registration Study List, which you can access through MyEAP. You are responsible for entering all of your courses on the Study List. Any changes must be made by petition. 
Failure to submit a Study List will result in the loss of student status in both UCEAP and UC, and possible dismissal from UC, which carries serious financial consequences. You must also abide by host institution deadlines regarding changes, when applicable.

Graduate Opportunities 

Graduate students in business administration, economics, international studies, management, public administration, and comparative environmental policy and management may attend Bocconi University for the fall, spring, or year and take courses at the graduate level.
Academic Culture

Italian Students

Italian high school education is rigorous and generally provides students with a greater academic preparation for university-level studies than U.S. high schools. Italian students begin university studies at age 18 or 19, but because they must declare a major upon acceptance to the university, they tend to be more focused in their field than the average UC student. All UCEAP host universities in Italy are state universities and overcrowding can sometimes be a problem. Only a few particular university departments have an entrance exam to limit enrollment in the three-year laurea degree (the two-year specialization degree often requires an entrance exam). Since no general education requirements are necessary at the university, students focus immediately on coursework in their majors and must have clear and specific academic goals. 



Course Information
The following disciplines are available:
  • Undergraduate Students: Business administration, economics, political economy, political science, and related majors. You should ideally be in the first semester or quarter of your senior year at the time you study at Bocconi and should have completed core courses in economics or other disciplines relevant for your proposed program prior to the start of the term.
  • Master’s-Level Students: Business administration, international affairs, economics, public policy, and management studies. You should have completed the first year of your master’s program and be in the first semester or quarter of your second year at the time you go abroad. Graduate students may do a research project on a particular topic under the supervision of a Bocconi tutor and a UC faculty member. The research project can substitute for two courses.
  • Doctoral Students: Business administration, economics, political science, management studies, and related disciplines. You should have completed at least the first year of your doctoral program before going abroad. You need to have completed training appropriate for your expected course of study at Bocconi.
Visit the Bocconi website for a list of courses that are available to exchange students during the current academic year. You should also utilize the UCEAP Course Catalog which contains information on all of the courses previously taken by UCEAP students.

Requirements & Course Registration

You are required to register for 3-4 courses per semester. Each course is worth 6 UC quarter units (4 semester units). The Italian language continuation course is worth 3 UC quarter units (2 semester units) and can be taken for P/NP only. You will recieve 18-24 UC quarter units (12-16 semester units) per semester.
You are placed in the fourth or fifth year of the Bocconi program, roughly equivalent to the senior year or the first-year master’s level at UC. If you want to take master’s-level courses, you must have completed the equivalent of the first-year courses in your graduate program at UC; otherwise, you will be placed in upper-division undergraduate courses.
Course offerings for the upcoming academic year are usually not posted online until June. To see course descriptions and syllabi for previous years you can visit the Bocconi Course Portfolio Archive.
You will be contacted by the International Student Desk prior to departure with instructions and deadlines for registering for courses. It is imperative that you respond to these emails in a timely manner or you will not be able to register for courses at Bocconi. It is your responsibility to meet all registration deadlines set by the International Student Desk. You will sign up for exam dates when you are onsite at least one week prior to the exam date.
Final examinations cover the entire semester’s work and are mostly written. You must listen closely at the Bocconi orientation for information on signing up for exams. The Study Center cannot intervene on behalf of students who have not followed the Bocconi procedure. Bocconi students can only retake exams if they receive a failing grade (lower than 18) and this is generally only possible for year students. In the Italian university system, grades are assigned on a scale from 10 to 30. An 18 is a pass. 
Grades for the fall semester are typically available by mid-March and grades for the spring semester are typically available by mid-September.
For detailed information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Research & Internships
​As a Bocconi student you have the opportunity to carry out a research project or independent study under the supervision of a Bocconi professor. If you are interested in participating in a research project you should contact the Academic Advisors at Bocconi after your arrival to help you identify a suitable professor for your proposed project. The project content, length, and structure will be agreed upon with the professor. The research will be graded and given credit, based on the recommendation of the professor, as one Bocconi course.
You may arrange internships with corporations, financial institutions, or public enterprises for a period of one to three months immediately following completion of the term. Internships cannot be guaranteed. Contact the International Relations Office at Bocconi in advance if you are interested.
Extending UCEAP Participation
UCEAP encourages fall students to extend participation to the academic year. The best way to plan for extension is to complete the UCEAP Departmental and College Preliminary Approval to Extend (DPA) form before departure for your program. The DPA does not obligate you to extend, but will expedite the process. If you wish to extend once you are abroad, make an appointment with the Study Center and complete either the Request for Final Approval (RFA) or the Petition to Extend before the November 1 deadline. If you already have a DPA on file, you will only need to submit the RFA for final approval to extend. The Petition to Extend can take several weeks for approval.
You must meet the program requirements and have the approval of the Study Center, your UC campus, and the UCEAP Systemwide Office. Approval is based on a number of factors, including academic performance, the support of your home campus department, and available space at the host university.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your home campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus EAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take with regard to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.

Bocconi students will most likely have to return to the U.S. to get a new visa for the extended study period. Be sure to contact the International Student Desk immediately upon approval of extension to see exactly what is required.

Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Language Preparation
If you do not speak any Italian, try to learn some basic words and phrases prior to going abroad.You will find it to be very useful.
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation


There will be two orientations during your first days in Milan. One will be held by Bocconi, and the later one will be held by UCEAP. A welcome dinner will be included with the UCEAP orientation. Attendance at these orientations is mandatory.
Orientations are designed to familiarize you with Italy and Italian culture, and to provide information on university registration practices, course selection, banking, transportation, housing, medical care, social and cultural activities, etc.  
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Travel Documents
The Bocconi International Student Desk (ISD) will hold a special meeting regarding the residence permit. 
Do not apply for the residence permit alone. Staff will help you fill out forms, organize documents, and apply for the permesso di soggiorno.
The permesso di soggiorno is an essential document that allows you to remain in Italy for the duration of your program. It is required for your stay in Italy and also for travel in and out of Italy. If you leave Italy without your residence permit (or a receipt showing that you have applied for it) you may not be allowed to reenter Italy.
The permesso di soggiorno is also required for official registration at some of the host universities in Italy. At these host universities, a blocked registration means that you will not be issued an official libretto d’iscrizione (registration and transcript) document. Without the libretto, you cannot sign up for exams and your professors cannot record a grade.
Keep your passport and residence permit at your home in Italy in a safe place. Make a photocopy of each to carry at all times, as required by Italian law. Take your original documents with you only when you are traveling around or outside of Italy. It is recommended that you scan a copy of your passport and e-mail it to yourself. This could be very useful in case of loss or theft.
Packing Tips
Return Transportation
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Most Bocconi university buildings and the dorms have wireless Internet connections. Bocconi allows access to computer labs for e-mail and Internet as well as word processing and printing.  
Mail & Shipments
Have mail sent to your residence address after your arrival in Milan.
Housing & Meals
Read this information carefully and thoroughly and be sure to look at the various websites listed below. Carefully consider your housing options before making your choice.
You can find housing on your own or apply for Bocconi dorm housing. If you are interested in Bocconi dorm housing, you must apply quickly, as spaces are limited and the dorms fill up quickly. See University Housing below for details.
If you sign the Accommodation Agreement with Bocconi, you are not allowed to move out of the residence. There are no refunds. Rent must be paid in advance in its entirety each month.

Private Accommodations

TIP: Ask your Campus EAP Office for contact information for Bocconi reciprocity students currently studying on your campus. They may have contacts for housing in Milan, or be interested in sharing an apartment with you.
You may check the apartment listings at Bocconi’s Student Union office, main building, first floor, and online at the Exchange Student Network (ESN). The Bocconi website offers private house-hunting tips and links as well as information about the dorm options. Peruse this site thoroughly. There are many options available!
Students often look for housemates to share apartments. Housemate notices are posted at the university. Private accommodations are usually shared apartments with kitchen facilities. Expect to obtain your own linens.
Other Milan housing websites include:

University Housing

Residence Arcobaleno, Via Fratelli Fraschini 3, Milano
Residence Arcobaleno is located 30–45 minutes by tram from Università Bocconi. Single room (furnished with bed, wardrobe, and desk) in double-places apartment (two separate single rooms in a double occupancy apartment). Each apartment is furnished with shared bathroom (shower or bathtub), a little room with microwave and refrigerator, small terrace, air-conditioning, phone and Internet connection. There are community kitchens, a laundry room, TV lounge, and 24-hour reception. Cleaning service and clean linens are provided once a week. Electricity and heating are included in the monthly rent. No guests are allowed between midnight and 7 a.m. You will live with other international students, but not with Italian students. If you prefer a more “Italian experience” you may want to find a private apartment.
Bocconi has very limited student housing and it is on a first-come, first-served basis. You must apply for dorm housing at Bocconi as soon as you receive your PIN and password allowing access to the Bocconi registration and housing application. The application process will be completed online.
To apply for Bocconi housing, send the completed application and a security deposit by credit card or bank transfer to the Bocconi International Relations office. (Information will be sent via e-mail directly from the Bocconi International Relations office). Bocconi will send a confirmation of receipt for the application. This is not confirmation of a dorm space! If you receive dorm housing, the deposit will be used for the first month. If you do not receive dorm housing, the deposit will be returned.
If you choose the Residence Arcobaleno, you will remain in the same room for the duration of the ILP and university term(s). You will most likely be in a single bedroom in a shared “apartment” with a shared bathroom. In most accommodations, blankets and pillows are provided, but you must obtain your own bed linens and towels.
Most dormitories have kitchen access, but you will need to provide your own dishes and cooking utensils. Lunch and dinner are usually available at the university mense (cafeterias).

Cost, Payments and Contracts

For university housing, you will be asked to pay a deposit of approximately €400 directly to Bocconi. Upon arriving you will pay rent monthly, in advance. Bocconi will provide all housing information, including payment deadlines. Housing applications must be completed and submitted to Bocconi within the required deadlines. The approximate monthly rent for a single room is €700 per month, utilities included.
For private accommodations, rental costs in the vicinity of Bocconi run from about €350 to €600 for a room in a shared apartment. Water and sometimes heating costs are included in the monthly rent. Payment will depend on the individual circumstances (for example, if you live in an apartment with three or four others, you might pay your part of the rent directly to the roommate who holds the contract; you might pay the landlord directly; or if you hold the contract, you might pay an agency). Because standard contracts are for four years, most UCEAP students subcontract with a contract holder.


If you have dependents (spouse or children) you must make your own housing arrangements. Explore your options thoroughly before departure from the U.S. University housing for dependents is not available during any portion of the program.
Some of the Bocconi dorm buildings house cafeterias. There is a self-service cafeteria in the basement of the Pensionato Bocconi (connected to all of the main Bocconi campus buildings), open from noon to 2:30 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. every day except Sunday; the cost per meal is normally €8 but there is a special price of €4 only for exchange students. In the same area a “panino bar” (sandwiches and fast food) is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is also a café called The Coffee Bar in the basement of the main university building, open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.
Residence Arcobaleno has community kitchens where you are able to prepare your own meals.
Meals in modest restaurants range from about €12 to €20, while more expensive restaurants run from about €25 to €35 per person. You can eat sandwiches and pizza for about €3 to €3,50 in inexpensive cafés and bars away from the popular tourist areas.
You will be personally responsible for the cost of your food/meals.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Milan is a large city and most students take some sort of public transportation. Buses, subways, trams, taxis, etc., are all available. Monthly student passes for buses and local trains are available for approximately €17/month (plus an annual fee of €10).


One convenient way to get around in Italian cities is by bike. You can find used bicycles in bicycle repair shops or in announcements posted around the universities and also online. As theft is common, you should purchase a strong lock (U-lock or Kryptonite lock) and chain, and always lock the bike to a permanently fixed structure.


You must have a ticket to ride the bus. Inspectors will occasionally check passengers for tickets, and they will fine you if you do not have a properly validated ticket. Tickets can be purchased on some buses, and they can always be purchased at any tabaccheria and most newsstands.
A regular bus ticket currently costs approximately €1–1,50. You can purchase a pass for 10 trips at a reduced rate (the cost varies in different cities). In most cities, you can purchase a student bus pass at a discounted rate. Additional, detailed information regarding bus schedules, validating tickets, purchasing tickets, etc., will be given at the on-site orientation when you arrive.
Extracurricular Activities
Students with Disabilities
In general, professors at Bocconi are more than willing to give extra time for exams and even revise course programs to meet a student’s particular needs. The city is difficult to navigate for students in wheelchairs.
Travel Sign-out Form
Working Abroad
Travel throughout Italy
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
UCEAP Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Physical Health
Prescription Medicine
Mental Health
Do not try to handle things on your own. It may be hard to admit that you need help. Most of all it may be hard to seek help. But in the long run, it's vital. The UCEAP Study Center staff can help you.
Information and recommendations for doctors are provided by the Bocconi International Student Desk and the Bologna Study Center.
Health Risks
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Natural Disasters
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.