Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Apr - Nov: + 16 hrs
Dec – Mar: + 17 hrs
Graduate Studies, International Relations, Univ. of Tokyo

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.

Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network
Academic Information
Program Overview

Graduate Studies in International Relations, University of Tokyo

This program is for master’s students in the UCSD Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies.
Courses offered by the Graduate School of Public Policy (GraSPP) faculty are listed by the following groups: basic, topics, practical training, case studies, research paper, and research thesis. Courses in the basic and topics categories are also classified by three subject areas: law, politics, and economics.
Japanese language study is not required. The University of Tokyo International Center provides Japanese language courses while graduate schools/faculties also offer their own Japanese language programs.
Graduate students are responsible for meeting their specific requirements as outlined on their Graduate Student Agreement (GSAG).
Academic Culture
Course Information
Internships & Volunteer Opportunities
Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness


Educational Resources
Social Conduct
Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Travel Documents
Packing Tips
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Scholarships and Fellowships
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Mail & Shipments
Housing & Meals
Other Housing Options

The University of Tokyo Housing

Some students stay in the University of Tokyo International Lodges in Shirokanedai or in Komaba dorm; both are approximately 30 to 45 minutes from the main campus in Hongo. The International Lodges have year-long contracts. Other possibilities include the Wakeijuku dormitory or privately arranged apartments. Students accompanied by a spouse and/or children must find housing on their own.
You may also be assigned housing in one of three off-campus dormitories owned by the University of Tokyo. There are four other affiliated off-campus dormitories, most of which are an apartment-type setting for graduate students. These dormitories are all located about 60–90 minutes away from campus. Housing assignments are determined by the University of Tokyo and announced in early September (after arrival in Japan).
Possible dormitory placements include:
  • Dormitories owned by the University of Tokyo: Shirokanedai International Lodge, Komaba International Lodge, and Mitaka International Hall of Residence
  • Dormitories affiliated with the University of Tokyo: Tokyo International Exchange Center in Odaiba, Azalea House, UT Engineering, Kotesashi Apartment and, for male students, the Wakeijuku dormitory
For more information, visit the University of Tokyo website.
Komaba and Shirokanedai International Lodges offer single, air-conditioned rooms, each with an individual shower and toilet, kitchenette, small refrigerator, bed, desk, chair, bookshelf, and closet. Residents are mostly international students and researchers of the University of Tokyo. A shared laundry room with coin-operated washing machines and dryers is available at both lodges. Meals are not provided.
Mitaka International Hall of Residence, which accommodates 567 students, is for both international and Japanese students and is located approximately 60 minutes away from the Hongo campus. The majority of residents are Japanese students. This dormitory promotes day-to-day international exchange and Japanese graduate students operate a “Tutor Room” to help international students in many ways, including advising on academic matters or answering any other questions outside of class. Each room is air-conditioned and contains a bed, desk and chair, closet, kitchenette, private shower, and toilet. Phone service in your room is available at your own expense. You must obtain your own linens.
Wakeijuku is a men’s dormitory located approximately 40 minutes from the Hongo campus. Wakeijuku offers rooms for international and local Japanese students who go to different universities in Tokyo. Students are interviewed before they are accepted by the dormitory. Residents must obey the rules and philosophy of the dormitory and are expected to engage in dorm activities. All rooms are air-conditioned single rooms with a bed, desk, chair, bookshelf, closet, and phone. Breakfast and dinner are served seven days a week.
Students holding Japanese passports are not allowed in the University of Tokyo international student dormitories and should apply for the Wakeijuku dormitory. 

At a Glance

  • Housing in the dormitories is prearranged for UCEAP students, except those who are Japanese citizens. You will likely receive your housing assignment during the summer ILP before you begin the academic year.
  •  For the Komaba and Shirokanedai International Lodges, be prepared to pay a nonrefundable deposit of 10,000–15,000 yen and the rent for a full semester when you move in. At Wakeijuku, you will pay a refundable deposit equivalent to one month’s rent when you move in. See the UCEAP Student Budget for estimated housing costs. You will make payments in Japanese yen directly to the dormitory or apartment manager.
  • There are no computer and Internet hookups in the rooms; however, you can use the phone line for Internet access. You must sign up with an Internet service provider on your own. You will be responsible for all charges.
  • There are phones in the rooms. You are responsible for the cost of all incoming and outgoing calls.
  • Each room at Komaba International Lodge and Shirokanedai International Lodge has a kitchenette where you can cook. You will have to provide your own cooking utensils. Cooking is not permitted in Wakeijuku rooms.
  • Neither the Komaba International Lodge nor the Shirokanedai International Lodge provides bed linens. At Wakeijuku, you can rent linens for a monthly fee.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Extracurricular Activities
Students with Disabilities
Travel Sign-out Form
Recreational Travel
UCEAP Insurance
Mandatory Japanese National Health Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Physical Health
Prescription Medications
Mental Health
Health Risks
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
UCEAP Contingency Plans
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.