Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Apr - Nov: + 16 hrs
Dec – Mar: + 17 hrs
Lab Research, Engineering & Science, Osaka University

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.

Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network
Academic Information
Program Overview
This lab research program in English or Japanese for international students promotes the development of creative lab skills through a wide range of research directions and hands-on laboratory experience. It is sponsored by the schools of Sciences, Engineering, and Engineering Sciences and offers research themes in nanotechnology and molecular science, life sciences and biotechnology, engineering and robotics, computing and information science, and advanced material science. You will be assigned to a particular research group based on your research proposal. Under the close supervision of the faculty, you will conduct thematic studies through experiments, peer consultation, group work, and interactive discussions.


  • 21 UC quarter units of research; letter grade only
  • You may take regular Osaka University courses only in addition to the lab research. You may not reduce the amount of lab research.

Registration procedures for Osaka University and MyEAP will be covered during your orientation in Japan.

Academic Culture
Course Information
Discuss questions related to grades or other classroom matters and appropriate plans for handling them with the UCEAP Study Center. It is not the Japanese custom for instructors to give detailed comments on written work and final papers, and exams are not usually returned; the grade itself is generally considered appropriate and adequate feedback. You may inquire about your progress in a class, but do not discuss grades with your professors unless invited to do so; otherwise, it may appear that you are trying to negotiate your grade, which is frowned upon.
Beware of rumors about lenient grading at Japanese institutions. Some universities are similar to UC in their standards and grading system. Language courses in particular can be more demanding than at UC and the grading is often rigorous. In many cases, poor grades are the result of excessive absences, tardiness, missing assignments, and lack of communication between UC students and instructors. Grading is typically conducted by detracting points for errors, rather than rewarding points for correct work. If you experience difficulties with your language courses, inquire with the Study Center for tutoring assistance. Also beware of being influenced by the rigor—or lack thereof—with which Japanese students appear to be engaged in their studies. In contrast to UC students, Japanese students often place less emphasis on letter grades and more on merely passing their courses.
To avoid a failing grade for a dropped course:
  • Keep the Study Center informed of any changes in course selection at the host university.
  • Follow UCEAP procedures for dropping a course. 
Grades for fall are usually available in late April; spring grades are usually available in late October.

 For additional information on grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.

Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness
Educational Resources
Social Conduct
Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Travel Documents
Packing Tips
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Scholarships and Fellowships
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Mail & Shipments
Housing & Meals
Intensive Language Program (ILP) Housing
Osaka University Housing
When you apply to Osaka University, you can request housing in your application. You can learn more about the housing options at the Osaka University housing website. Note that the commute time from dorms to campus can be up to one hour each way.
The housing situation at National Universities is always similar. The monthly rent is very cheap; however, facilities are old and sometimes below basic sanitation standards.
Male students are housed in Suita Male dorms or in the Tsukumodai International Dorm (formerly JASSO Osaka International House). The Study Center strongly recommends you choose the Tsukumodai dorms.
  • Tsukumodai features single rooms in a dormitory style environment. Floors are segregated by gender. The rooms are furnished with a desk, chair, bed, bookshelf, refrigerator, closet, desk lamp, and phone. The rooms are heated and air-conditioned. A shared shower room with individual stalls is located on each floor. Residents share kitchenettes, bathrooms, a common room, reading room, and a coin-operated laundry room. Overnight guests are not permitted and all guests must leave by 10 p.m., unless prior permission is obtained. Japanese resident RAs are available to help students with Japanese language instruction. Local community activities, parties, and sports taikai are organized by staff. Tsukumodai is located close to the Osaka University Suita campus, and is about a 50-minute commute from the Toyonaka campus.
  • Suita Male dorms are old, not clean, and far below UC dorm standards. However, engineering and science departments are all located on the Suita campus, so it is the closest housing for students taking engineering courses or doing laboratory research.  Past participants mention that this housing may be the cheapest, but it is also the least luxurious and they do not recommend it.  ​Each room has a bookshelf, dresser, desk, bed, air conditioner, and mini fridge/freezer.  If you will take courses in the humanities (on the Toyonaka campus), it is a long and costly commute from the Suita Male dorms. 
Female students live in the Osaka University International House (I-House) or rent private apartments. I-House provides housing to a wide variety of international students, including professors, couples, and families. You will live in a single room furnished with the same items as Tsukumodai (above), except a bathtub is provided in the rooms instead of a shower. The main I-House is located on the Toyonaka campus, and UC students are usually placed in this dorm (not in the one near the Suita campus). The Toyonaka I-House offers the opportunity to participate in many activities, including holiday parties, Ikebana classes, and tea ceremony classes.

At a Glance 

  • You request housing in the Osaka University application. Details are finalized during the summer.
  • You will pay for your housing when you move in. Be prepared to pay for a semester at a time in yen directly to the dorm. Utilities (electric, gas, and water) are paid separately each month. See the UCEAP Student Budget for estimated housing costs.
  • All rooms are equipped for Internet access. You need to sign up with an Internet service provider and you are responsible for all charges.
  • There are phones in the rooms. You are responsible for all phone charges.
  • You can purchase your own linens or rent bedding monthly.
  • Cooking is not permitted in Tsukumodai rooms (the men’s dorm). Each building has a shared kitchen. At I-House (women’s dorm), each room has a kitchen and refrigerator. In both locations students obtain their own kitchen items for cooking. 
Other Housing Options
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Extracurricular Activities
Students with Disabilities
Travel Sign-out Form
Recreational Travel
UCEAP Insurance
Mandatory Japanese National Health Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Physical Health
Prescription Medications
Mental Health
Health Risks
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
UCEAP Contingency Plans
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.