Navigate Up
Sign In
Approx. Time Difference
Add 2 hours
Leadership in Social Justice and Public Policy, Mexico City & Sacramento

​-Fall+Winter Quarter
-Fall+Spring Semester


This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, health and safety, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Program Specialist
Phone: (805) 893-4138 or (805) 893-4268
Academic Staff
Phone: (805) 893-2712
Student Finance Accountant
Phone: (805) 893-4023
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762
Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Predeparture Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP Mexico page.

Study Center Abroad

UCEAP Mexico programs are administered from Mexico City by Veronica Tellez, Program Coordinator and a UC faculty member, who serves as Visiting Professor. The Program Coordinator and Visiting Professor will provide you with advice on academic matters, housing, health, safety, and cultural activities.
Mexico City Study Center
Universidad de California
Casa de California
Calle Carmen # 1
Col. Chimalistac
C.P. 01070 México, D.F.
Del. Alvaro Obregon
Phone (calling from Mexico): (55) 5662-9511
Fax: (011-52-55) 5622-9510
Study Center Staff
Verónica Tellez, Program Coordinator
Cell: 04455-1684-3703

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code .........011
(dial this to call from the U.S.)
Mexico country code ...........52
Mexico City code ................55

Approximate Time Difference

Add two hours

UC Center Sacramento (UCCS)

1130 K Street, LL22
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-5100

Cindy Simmons, Associate Director
Phone: (916) 445-7300
Academic Information
Program Overview
This distinctive multi-site leadership program with a focus on Latino and bi-national issues provides you with the opportunity to take coursework at the top university in Mexico City followed by a quarter or semester of political science coursework and internship experience in California’s capital city.

The program begins with a five-week Intensive Language Program (ILP) which provides an introduction to Mexico City and the Study Center while also preparing students to take university coursework taught entirely in Spanish. You also begin an online UC leadership course that runs through the fall term, and is instructed in English.

During the fall semester, you take courses at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), the number one-ranked university in Latin America and one of the world’s largest public universities, with over 300,000 students enrolled and 35,000 professors and researchers on staff. You enroll in regular classes with Mexican students at UNAM and are fully immersed in your academic subject and the intellectual culture of the country.

Staff from the UC Sacramento Center (UCCS) will contact you in October to begin the enrollment and internship-placement process. When you return to California at the beginning of the winter quarter/spring semester, you will begin your internship placement and coursework at UCCS. 
Academic Culture

The National Autonomous University of Mexico

The UNAM campus is a hub of Mexican educational and cultural activity. The central campus (ciudad universitaria) is expansive, yet accessible, and is served by good public transportation, including a free university bus service that traverses the campus. The university hosts countless concerts, lectures, and sporting events. The campus is also home to the National Library, which students and scholars may access.
As in many other countries, students in Mexico choose their major field of study before entering the university and primarily take courses solely related to their major. Therefore, Mexican students at UNAM are often more advanced in their field than UC students when they arrive. The university curriculum is well established for each major in any given facultad, with limited flexibility or course choice for Mexican students. You should understand that course content is based on this cumulative knowledge. Given that each course builds on the previous courses, coursework may be much more theoretically advanced than it is at UC. You may need to do extra background reading to bring yourself to the level of your Mexican counterparts.
Mexican students, particularly in the social sciences and humanities, tend to assume their social responsibilities by being knowledgeable about and vocal in their concern for issues and problems facing society. At times, UNAM can seem highly politicized. UCEAP participants generally have found their Mexican classmates to be stimulating and accessible, and although often critical of the U.S., they are usually interested in and open to various viewpoints, especially well-argued, thoughtful opinions. It is important that you demonstrate a similar respect for alternative viewpoints. 
You will also take the "Introduction to Leadership Development" course, led by Dr. Don Lubach. Prof. Lubach will be with you in Mexico City during the early weeks of the program. Subsequently, he will conduct the course online from California with the help of a T.A. This course is designed not only to introduce the theoretical literature on leadership studies, but also to provide a bridge between your Mexican and Sacramento experiences. 

Class Format & Grading

Although you are free to apply to and take courses from more than one facultad, remember that you will be circulating among students who are already familiar with the reputations and expectations of their professors. Many teaching styles exist in such an enormous university, and it is essential that you check with the Study Center Director and staff as you make your course choices so they can guide you into academic situations that will work for you. Classes are normally smaller than those at UC, so there is more teacher-student interaction. There are many top-quality professors at UNAM, and you can take advantage of the opportunities presented in a small class. Mexican faculty members are not expected to maintain regular office hours, therefore most UC students find it easier to meet with professors before or after class.

Generally, professors are more likely to require oral presentations than is usually the case in UC classes. Outside of science courses, objective tests are rarely given, and in many classes professors tend to assign brief written reports on required readings. The workload is much heavier toward the end of the semester since a majority of the final grade is based on a final paper and/or presentation. The amount of required reading can be heavy for certain courses, but overall it is equivalent to UC classes. Essay exams are also common and involve extensive writing.

UC Sacramento Center

The UC Center Sacramento is the University of California’s teaching, research and public-service site located one block from the State Capitol Building. Courses at UCCS are specifically designed to give students first-hand knowledge of the political and public policy processes of the state. Your enrollment in the UCCS courses requires that you work through the UC Davis campus system. The UCCS Associate Director, Cindy Simmons, will be in touch with you to guide you through this process.

Internships also constitute a key part of the learning experience and placements are tailored to students' background, skills, and career goals. To provide the final experience in this multi-site program, the internship placement should be in an organization that has ties to or works directly with bi-national or Latino issues in California.
Course Information
This two term program ​starts in Mexico for the ILP in the late-summer and runs through the fall semester at UNAM (September through December). It then moves back to California for the winter term for quarter-campus students, or spring term for semester-campus students.
  • The National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) is a world class university often considered the best in Latin America. During the fall term, you also take a UC online course in leadership that is offered concurrently with your UNAM coursework. This course is worth 4.5 quarter/3 semester UC units.

Intensive Language Program

The fall and year programs begin with a five-week intensive language program (ILP), which consists of a Spanish language course worth 4.0 upper-division UC quarter units and a Contemporary Mexico course worth 4.5 units. Both courses are designed specifically to help you prepare for study at UNAM.

The Contemporary Mexico course provides the academic background that will be vital to your success once you enter regular university classes. The course instructor is familiar with UC students and presents contemporary Mexican culture, society, and diversity in addition to a historical perspective. Excursions in and around Mexico City complement lectures. Assignments include the sorts of reading, discussion, and composition that are expected in UNAM classes.
  • Two courses are required; 3 to 8.5 quarter/2 to 5.7 semester units.
  • You may use the variable unit option to reduce the units of the ILP, but there will be no reduction in the quantity and quality of work expected by your instructors.
  • The pass/no pass credit option is not available during the ILP.

The National Autonomous University of Mexico

The UNAM website offers course listings and many course descriptions that indicate the depth and breadth of this prestigious university. Visit the UNAM Oferta Académica web page for information on how courses are distributed among the facultades (Facultades, Escuelas y Centros). You can also search by area of study (Índice Alfabético). Courses taken by previous UCEAP students are listed in the MyEAP Course Catalog, which also includes detailed descriptions and the number of UC quarter units assigned to these courses.

Although you must indicate the faculty from which you will choose your classes during the initial application process, you can always apply to and take courses from more than one facultad. Its School of Political and Social Sciences offers programs in public administration studies, political science, and international relations, as well as sociology and social work.

Use the links below to browse through the different academic offerings at the university.

All courses at UNAM are taught in Spanish. Students also have the option of taking a course taught by the Visiting Professor.

Registration & Requirements

The Study Center staff will assist you in the process of registering with both UNAM and UCEAP. In order to ensure that courses and grades are recorded on your UC transcript, you must complete your MyEAP registration by the deadline specified by the Program Coordinator or staff at the UCEAP Systemwide Office.
Pay close attention to the way courses are listed on your MyEAP registration; this information is what will appear on your UC transcript.
UCEAP requires you take a full-time course of study. You must enroll in a minimum of 18 quarter units (equivalent to 12 semester units) during the fall. If you are a Berkeley or Merced student, consider keeping your Study List between 19.5 and 22.5 UC quarter units (equivalent to 13 to 15 UC semester units).
  • UC online course in leadership (4.5 quarter units/3.0 semester units)
  • Three or four regular university courses (units may vary; must have a minimum of 13.5 quarter units to meet program requirement)
  • The UC online course may be taken for pass/no pass. Additionally, you may select one regular university course for pass/no pass.
If you find that a course is not yet listed in MyEAP, please note the following:
  • Units often correspond to the number of official class hours listed on the syllabus OR the online class schedule.
  • Courses in the social sciences often have more class hours and therefore more units than many classes in the humanities.
  • Provide a copy of the course syllabus and course schedule to the Study Center staff
  • Ask if you are not sure of your total UC units for the semester!

Graduate Coursework

Some graduate courses are available to undergraduate students who have advanced standing (junior or senior) with 16 units of upper-division units basic to the subject matter of the course.
  • You will need to submit a General Petition prior to finalizing your course registration to request approval from the UCEAP Associate Dean.
Pay close attention to the UNAM department, course title, and course code when registering for courses, and let the Study Center Coordinator know if you are unsure if a course is already listed in the MyEAP Course Catalog.

UC Sacramento Center

Course registration for the UCCS part of the program will be done directly through the UC Sacramento Center.

All students take the following:
  • Political Science Internship, 10 UC quarter units
  • The California Policy Seminar, 4 UC quarter units
Participants from UC Berkeley or UC Merced take the following additional courses to receive a semester's worth of units:
  • Political Science 196A, 4 UC quarter units: an independent study course in political science.
  • Political Science 193, 2 UC quarter units: a supervised preparation of an extensive paper relating your internship and experiences in Mexico to concepts, literature, and theory of political science.
Additional classes may be offered. See the UCCS web site for more information.


Winter Quarter Students
  • 14 UC quarter units are required; two courses at UCCS.
Spring Semester Students
  • 20 quarter/13.3 semester units are required; in addition to the courses required for winter quarter students, semester students take the two additional courses noted above: four courses at UCCS.
Grades from the UNAM componentwill be forwarded directly to the UCEAP Systemwide Office. Once they are reviewed by UC faculty of record and translated to UC letter grades, they will be forwarded to your home UC campus Office of the Registrar.

You will receive an automatic e-mail notification when your grades are transmitted to your campus, at which time you will be able to view your grades through your MyEAP account. You will need to wait a while longer after this notification is sent before you can expect grades to be posted to your official UC transcript by the Office of the Registrar.

UCCS grades will be forwarded directly to your home campus via UC Davis.

For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave California. The Inside Me​xico website provides information regarding current events, arts and culture, and other practical information for English-speakers traveling or living in Mexico. Travel guides and travel-related websites, such as Lonely Planet, are also helpful resources.
Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers, magazines, and journals. Before departure, review these sources to prepare for the program and gain insight on the local culture and history.
Recommended Resources
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

Arrival in Mexico

You must arrive in Mexico City by the Official UCEAP Start Date. The official date/time and meeting place is provided on the Arrival Instructions in your Pre-Departure Checklist.  Take a copy of the Arrival Instructions with you to Mexico.

If you arrive early, you are responsible for finding your own lodging until the program begins.  You cannot move into prearranged housing prior to the program start date.

​You will attend a required orientation administered through the UCEAP Study Center. During orientation, you will participate in lectures and activities designed to help you acclimate to Mexico City and the country as a whole, and become familiar with the Study Center.
You will meet the Study Center staff on arrival day. During a group dinner that evening, the staff will provide you with a welcome package that includes metro, city, and campus maps; a schedule for the term; phone cards; and emergency phone numbers.
In addition, the Study Center staff will review all practical components of the program, including the program calendar, academics, housing, student services, computer access, money and banking, phones, mail, public transportation, health, safety, and emergencies.

Arrival in Sacramento

Orientation week is the first week of the quarter. Orientation will take place at the UCCS Center located at 1130 K Street in Sacramento.  Orientation typically begins at 9am on that first Monday, so you will need to arrive in Sacramento the Sunday prior. Students will receive the detailed orientation schedule closer to the time of arrival in Sacramento.  The first week will consist of meetings and workshops with the UCCS Staff, your first class meeting, and your first internship experience.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country

UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.

Travel Documents
 Refer to your UCEAP Pre-Departure Checklist for information about Mexico Entry Requirements.

Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.
  • Find out the luggage and weight restrictions imposed by your airline before you pack and select the luggage you will use.
  • Clearly identify each item of luggage on the outside and inside with your name, home address, and Study Center address abroad.
  • Never leave luggage unattended.
  • UCEAP strongly recommends you insure personal property before departure.
  • Do not pack too much. You will have to carry your own luggage, so make sure you can handle it. You will be glad that you decided to pack lightly, especially if you plan to travel while abroad. If you have excess luggage, you must find your own storage space. You cannot store luggage with a homestay host, apartment landlord, or the Study Center.
When selecting clothing to pack, keep Mexican cultural norms in mind. Shorts are rare and should be avoided. Avoid extremes in dress, such as miniskirts and halter tops. Women who wear skimpy clothing may attract crude and annoying comments and attention. In general, Mexican students dress similarly to UC students. Conservative and casual clothing (e.g., jeans and slacks) is common and acceptable for campus wear. The UCEAP Student Budget does not include funds for the purchase of clothing abroad, and large- or tall-sized clothing and shoes may be difficult to find in Mexico.
Packing suggestions:
  • Comfortable clothing for classes
  • Sturdy walking shoes
  • Warm clothes, including a sweater and jacket
  • Raincoat or poncho
  • Umbrella
  • Electrical adapter and chargers for electronics
  • Spanish-English dictionary
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen
  • Toiletries (if there are unique items or specific brands you need, they may not be available in Mexico)
  • Towels
  • Flashlight
  • Extra contact lenses and contact lens solution, or an extra pair of eye glasses
  • Adhesive bandages
  • Antidiarrheal pills
  • 12-hour cold capsules
  • Preferred pain relief medication
  • Enough prescription medication to last the length of your stay (see the Health chapter of this guide for information on taking prescription medication abroad)
  • Dressier outfits (for parties, nightclubs, dinner events, etc.)
  • Lightweight clothing that is suitable for tropical weather (if planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta, Veracruz, or the Yucatán)
  • Bathrobe and slippers
  • Beach towel
  • Equipment, shoes, and clothing for sports or recreational activities
  • Small gifts for hosts and new friends (T-shirts, decals or mugs with city, state, or campus logos, California products, California postcards or scenic calendars)
  • Musical instruments
  • Electric appliances (hair dryer, shaver, , etc.); if expensive, document with U.S. customs upon departure
  • Travel-size sleeping bag
  • Battery-operated alarm clock
  • Corkscrew and can/bottle opener (pack only in checked luggage)
  • Combination lock
  • Safety pins
  • Laptop

Do not pack illegal narcotics or medications that are illegal in Mexico.

Packing Tips for Sacramento

You will need to dress in appropriate business attire - slacks and a dress shirt or dress pants/skirt and a blouse.  It is recommended that you have at least one suite, ideally two.  However, you will not need to wear suits every day.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  Review the policy carefully before departure to determine if it is adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions.
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.

Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad
Arrive in Mexico with access to a minimum of $700 to cover the housing deposit and incidental expenses for the first month. Access does not mean carrying $700 in cash with you to Mexico—this is discouraged for security reasons. Having access to this amount of money means having the ability to withdraw funds once you are in Mexico, since you will need to pay your housing deposit in cash within the first few days. You will have to pay the deposit directly to the landlord in your apartment arrangement. Credit cards, travelers checks, and debit cards cannot be used for the housing deposit payment. Additional expenses include daily transportation, laundry, books and school supplies, computer usage, and personal items.  
The official currency unit in Mexico is the peso (abbreviated MEX$ or MXN). ​

Contact Your Bank before Departure

Many banks and credit cards offer online services that will allow you to check account balances and pay bills quickly while abroad. Check with your bank and credit card providers before departure to make any necessary arrangements. Also, find out how to contact your bank and credit card companies from abroad.

While in Mexico City

Mexico City is a major international center and, as such, costs are high even by U.S. standards. Many past UCEAP participants found that their living costs in Mexico City were greater than expected. Plan on using a combination of methods to handle money in case one does not work (e.g., a local ATM is temporarily out of service). Do not rely solely on one method of accessing money. You cannot open a bank account in Mexico.
  • Have more than one way to access money while abroad.
  • Use a money belt.
  • Arrive in Mexico City with at least $50 or $100 exchanged into Mexican pesos. You can obtain pesos from a U.S. bank. Some banks require at least two weeks to obtain foreign currency.
  • Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
  • Take at least two international credit cards (in your name) and two ATM cards (if possible). The ATM card must have an international (four-digit) PIN in order to work in Mexico.
  • Do not plan to have checks (financial aid, money from family, etc.) sent to Mexico; you will be unable to cash them. Have checks deposited into your U.S. account via Electronic Funds Transfer (when possible) or have them sent to a trusted friend or relative who can deposit the funds into your U.S. bank account.
  • Assign your Power of Attorney to someone you absolutely trust.

ATMs, Debit Cards, and Cash

Using an ATM card is by far the easiest way to access your money abroad, and the exchange rate is the most favorable. You can withdraw funds directly from your U.S. account from an ATM in Mexico. ATMs are widely available in Mexico (although they do not always function) and you will receive cash in local currency (pesos).
Some U.S. banks issuing credit cards or ATM cards do not have agreements with Mexican banks. Inquire with your U.S. bank before departure. Before you use your ATM or credit card in a Mexican ATM, ask the cashier if the bank will accept it. If the bank does not accept that type of card, the ATM will keep the card.
Cirrus, Star, or Plus systems can be used in Mexico. There may be a transaction fee involved (inquire with your home bank before departure). ATMs in Mexico frequently require persistence. Having a backup source of funds is strongly advised (e.g., credit card) in case a functioning ATM cannot be located.
Avoid carrying large amounts of cash and withdrawing money from an ATM at night, as robberies near ATMs are common.
UCEAP participants note that having some cash in U.S. currency is convenient for exchanging smaller amounts, and it comes in handy for tips, airport purchases, and airport transfers. Take caution, however, as cash is not a secure way to transport funds.


Credit Cards

Credit cards are useful for emergencies, medical or travel expenses, and everyday purchases. Most large stores and restaurants in Mexico honor major credit cards. Visa is the most widely accepted credit card followed by MasterCard. American Express is not widely accepted, but can be used to purchase travelers checks abroad. The Discover card is not widely accepted outside the U.S. and is not worth taking to Mexico.
Some U.S. banks that issue Visa, MasterCard, or American Express cards do not have agreements with Mexican banks. Before you use your Visa or MasterCard as a debit card in an ATM, ask the cashier at the bank if the bank will accept it (non-compatible credit cards can get jammed in ATMs).
Take at least two international credit cards (always leave one at home while in Mexico; if one is lost or stolen, you will have an immediate backup). These credit cards must be in your name, not a parent’s.
Before departure, write down contact numbers you can call while abroad to report a lost or stolen credit card and obtain a replacement. If you lose a credit card or need a card mailed to Mexico, it is best if the credit card company mails the card to your family in the U.S. who can then send it via FedEx or DHL to the Study Center. This way you can track the shipment. In addition, you may want to notify your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling abroad. This will prevent them from questioning unusual activity.
You may obtain a cash advance with your Visa or MasterCard from a bank offering this service, though this can be an expensive way to access cash. Before departure, find out what fees apply for cash advances. Obtain an international PIN for your credit card in case you need a cash advance after hours. Your PIN is not usually required if the transaction is conducted inside the bank, but you must show your passport.


Travelers Checks

Although travelers checks are a safe way to handle money and are easily exchangeable in most banks in Mexico City, UCEAP does not recommend using travelers checks for everyday expenses. They are a good source of backup funds, but for regular purchases it is more convenient to rely on ATM cards and credit cards.

Sending Money

Parents, friends, or relatives can send you money in Mexico in several ways. The most convenient and inexpensive way is to deposit money in your U.S. bank account so you can withdraw the funds via an ATM. Online banking also makes transfers from one account to another very convenient. Another option is to cable money through a service such as Western Union, but this is more expensive. Western Union sends money orders but they can be cashed only in a few places (you cannot cash them at an American Express office). In an emergency, money can be wired bank-to-bank or via American Express. Another alternative is to send travelers checks. Past students recommend sending travelers checks via FedEx.
The most easily accessible American Express offices in Mexico City are:
Av. Patriotismo 635
Col. Cd. de los Deportes
Phone: (55) 5598-79-66
Cent. Comerc. Perisur (close to the UNAM campus)
Perif. sur 4690, Local 231
Phone: (55) 5606-1073 or 5606-9621
Winter/Spring term Finances
For the Winter/Spring term in Sacramento, you will be registered as a UC Davis student, since UCD is the home UC campus for the UCCS.  You will be contacted by UCCS staff in October to complete the UCD registration. At that time you will need to add the UCD code to your FAFSA. Your financial aid for Winter/Spring term will be packaged by UCD, using the budget that will be available here:​. You will be billed by UCD for the Winter/Spring term fees. 
Communications Abroad
Internet Access

In Mexico

If you take a laptop, you may access the UNAM wireless network, which is available on campus. In order to use it, you must first register your laptop at the DGSCA building. For more information, visit the RIU UNAM website.
The Study Center in Mexico City has four computers with Internet access, which are available for exclusive use by UCEAP students. There is also a printer available for academic papers.


You are encouraged to take a laptop to Mexico to prepare academic papers, analyze research data, and use the Internet frequently.
If you plan to take a laptop:
  • Be certain your laptop is fully insured in case of damage, loss, or theft.
  • Carry your proof of purchase with you.
  • Do not ship your laptop abroad. The laptop may be held for inspection by customs officials and customs fees are quite costly, even for older laptops.
  • Be sure to keep your laptop within reach at all times. Laptops are among the most frequently stolen items from travelers.
  • Make sure your computer is equipped for wireless network access.
  • Ensure that your laptop is equipped with a built-in voltage transformer that enables it to operate on the voltage used in Mexico (this is a fairly common feature), take adapter plugs, and install the latest antivirus software to minimize hassle.
  • Internet cafés are common around Mexico City.  You can choose to take your laptop to an Internet café to print papers and download email, then read and compose messages offline.

In Sacramento

There is WiFi at the UC Center Sacramento.  It is recommended that you bring a laptop.  If you do not have a laptop, there is a computer lab with 7 computer stations.
Approximate time difference: add 2 hours
Please share this information with your parents before departure.

Cell Phones

Buy a cell phone in Mexico. Costs vary according to the model, but decent phones range from about 350 to 2,200 pesos. Prepaid phone cards are available at the airport, local markets, and corner stores. Local calls cost about five pesos per minute but incoming calls from within Mexico are free. Incoming calls from the U.S. cost about six pesos per minute. You can usually place long-distance calls on cell phones; however, there are fees involved. Most students use Skype from their apartments to call home.
When used moderately, cell phones can be less expensive than regular phones. It is expensive and complicated to switch a U.S. cell phone over for use in Mexico. UCEAP does not recommend this.
Smart Phone Call/Texting Apps
For free or low cost communication with friends and family in the U.S. as well as amongst your contacts abroad, consider using apps such as Whatsapp,  Viber, or Face Time on your smartphone.  These apps are commonly used by locals and are a cost effective way to communicate over a WiFi connection.
If you want to see if your phone will work in Mexico, you can look it up here:

Public Phones

Pay phones in Mexico City are accessible, although calling costs may be higher than if you use a cell phone. Almost all public phones in Mexico City no longer accept coins. To make local or long-distance calls, it is best to buy a phone card once in Mexico City. Tarjetas Ladatel phone cards are sold at lottery ticket booths, newsstands, and small shops at the airport for 50, 100, or 200 pesos. Upon arrival, the Study Center will provide you with a phone card loaded with minutes.
Calling Cards
Many U.S.-based long-distance phone companies provide special services that make it easy to make international calls. Some companies provide a toll-free access number that connects with an operator in the U.S., and others provide the means to charge long-distance calls either to a credit card or to a third party. Investigate the possibilities before departure and shop around for the best services and rates.
Be sure to confirm the card you purchase will work for calls originating outside of the U.S. Many students find that some prepaid phone cards purchased in the U.S. do not work abroad. Long-distance phone cards are sold in Mexico City at lottery ticket booths and newsstands.

Phone Use in Pre-Arranged Housing

The use of the phone in your pre-arranged housing is not allowed. Past tenants who abused phone privileges have caused many landlords to cancel this service.  Long distance calls are absolutely prohibited.
Mail & Shipments

In Mexico


Postcards should be sent in envelopes. Regular mail can be unreliable. It is best to send dated or important materials to the Study Center via FedEx.
Regardless of your accommodations, your mail and packages will be received at the Study Center. You will have a mailbox at the Study Center, and the UCEAP staff will forward your mail. (Send all international mail by FedEx only.)
[Your name]
Mexico City Study Center
Universidad de California
Casa de California
Calle Carmen # 1
Col. Chimalistac
C.P. 01070 México, D.F.
Del. Alvaro Obregon
Phone: (011-52-55) 5662-9511
Send regular mail within Mexico to:
University of California, México
Aptdo. Postal 70-586
04510 México, DF, MEXICO
(Your name should be written at the bottom of the envelope)
For more information, refer to the following Shipping section.


Do not have clothing, food shipments, or toiletries sent to you in Mexico. It is often much less expensive to purchase the items in Mexico than it is to pay mailing and customs fees. Advise relatives and friends against sending packages; they are heavily taxed, take a long time to arrive, and may get lost in the mail. Keep in mind that anything you send abroad must later be brought or sent back home.
If shipping luggage, you must be present when it arrives in Mexico. The Study Center is not responsible for collecting luggage shipped in advance, and staff will not pick up luggage that must be claimed at a customs office or dock. Do not send luggage to in-transit locations. Packages sent by FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc., should be clearly marked “No Commercial Value—Gift” on the package. If the sender declares a value, you will have to pay customs.
Never send medication or have medication sent to you in Mexico. Customs will not accept it. See the Staying Healthy chapter in this guide for more information on prescription medication.

In Sacramento

Please have mail sent to the housing location that you arrange for the Sacramento portion of the program.
Housing & Meals

Mexico City Housing

It is not possible to secure your own housing. You must live in the arranged program housing. You will not receive your apartment assignment prior to departure. You will receive your housing placement once you arrive in Mexico City.
Housing is arranged by UCEAP in apartments located throughout Mexico City. The UCEAP Systemwide Office will ask you to complete a housing questionnaire indicating your preferences. Every effort will be made to provide you with your first housing choice, but this is not always possible. In general, the accommodations are about a 5–10 minute walk or a 20–25 minute bus ride from campus. Most students take the microbus for about 2.50 pesos or more (depending on the distance) and some take the metro for 5 pesos.
Lodging costs are included in the program fees you pay to UCEAP. However, you may need to provide a housing deposit (approximately US$300) in cash upon arrival. The cost of food and personal items is not included in the rent. Internet is available in all apartments. Check the UCEAP Student Budget, located in the Money Matters section of your Participants page for housing costs.  ​
You can expect to be provided with all bed linens and pillows, but not towels (these are considered personal items). You can bring towels and all other personal items from home or purchase them once you are in Mexico.
Renting an apartment usually means renting a single room in a three- or four-bedroom furnished apartment that is shared with other international students. A landlord administers the apartment and collects monthly rent. In Mexico City, landlords rent only rooms, not the whole apartment (as is common in the U.S.). Landlords usually have strict rules about parties, overnight guests, noise, etc.
You must ask landlords for permission to have any visitors, especially those of the opposite sex.
Landlords can (and often do) enter apartments without notice. Past students have commented about their nosy and meddling landlords. Landlords are strict in terms of cleanliness; you will be expected to clean up after yourself on a daily basis, especially in the common areas.

Sacramento Housing

You will arrange your own housing for the Sacramento portion of the program.
For detailed housing options, please visit the UCCS Housing webpage. ​

​Mexico City

The cost of food is not included in the rent (unless you live in a homestay and work out some arrangements regarding your meals with the host). You are responsible for buying food and preparing your own meals.
Supermarkets in Mexico are clean and orderly. Some markets are small, while others are large like those in the U.S. Food and prices are comparable to those in the U.S.
Always follow safe food preparation procedures as described in international health guides, such as the CDC Yellow Book. You are advised against eating prepared foods or fruits from street vendors. Food from street vendors often sits out for long periods of time at extreme temperatures. When eating out, drink only bottled water and beverages (without ice) or tea and coffee. Do not drink tap water unless it has been boiled for 15 to 20 minutes. Bottled water is readily available and your host family will supply you with bottled or filtered drinking water at home.
Each section of the city has a traditional food market that offers a wide range of fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. Whether purchased in a supermarket or a traditional market, produce without thick skin needs to be disinfected with products sold in the stores and markets.
If you live in a homestay where you have a meal arrangement included, you will be expected to eat your meals with your host family. If you are going to miss a meal, discuss this as soon as possible with your host family. The midday meal (from about 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.) is the main meal of the day in Mexico. After this meal, the family generally has what is referred to as la sobre mesa, which is a time for talking and sharing.


Past vegetarians report that their hosts were extremely accommodating to their needs as long as the family knew their preferences before they arrived. It is more complicated to find suitable food if you are a vegan. Cheese, eggs, cream, etc., are in the majority of foods.
If you are a vegetarian, clearly note this on your UCEAP housing questionnaire. Be specific. You may want to take supplements along, as the Mexican diet is different.


You are responsible for buying food and preparing your own meals.  You may arrange a meal plan on your own if the housing arrangement you choose in Sacramento offers that option.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
​Study Center staff will provide information on local transportation in Mexico during the initial orientation period.

Transportation in Sacramento

If you find housing in Sacramento, you may either walk or use public transportation to commute to class and your internship.  If you choose to live in Davis you may use the Yolo Bus or Amtrak to commute to and from Sacramento.  Remember to budget for commuting and parking costs since you are required to attend all events in Sacramento.
Extracurricular Activities
Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve your language skills, and integrate more fully into the Mexican community.
During the time that you are in Mexico City (D.F.), you will discover a wealth of cultural activity with its many museums, theaters, parks, monuments, and frequent special events. As one of the largest cosmopolitan cities in the world, D.F. will offer you a variety of modern experiences typical of any large urban center, in contrast with elements that are distinctly traditional. Many students find the blend of old and new worlds to be particularly interesting. Among other things, Mexico City is a center for international and national cinematography.

Students with Disabilities

Mexico City

students with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what they find in the United States. Mexican law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, and mental disabilities in employment, education, air travel and other transportation, access to health care, and the provision of other services. However, the law is not effectively enforced.
Public buildings and facilities continue to be in noncompliance with the law requiring access for persons with disabilities, as do most hotels and other tourist facilities.
For more information:

UC Center, Sacramento

Any student who, because of a disability, may require some special arrangements to meet any of the course requirements should contact the instructor immediately to make necessary accommodations. It is the responsibility of the student to request accommodations. UC Davis will make every attempt to accommodate all qualified students with disabilities.
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the US), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad
​​​A tourist or student visa does not allow you to work in Mexico.​
LGBTIQ Students


Legally, LGBT persons enjoy relatively strong protections in Mexico.  In 2001, a constitutional amendment officially banned discrimination based on sexual orientation. Discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity remains, despite a growing public acceptance of LGBT individuals.  Exercise discretion in identifying publicly as LGBT.
Many parts of Mexico offer a vibrant environment for LGBT individuals.
​For more information,
UCEAP Insurance

Know Before You Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy. Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy is not the same as your campus or private insurance. Inform yourself before seeking care. Your UCEAP Travel Insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. You will be financially responsible for any charges for medical services that are not included benefits in the policy and for any charges over an above the “maximum allowable amount”. Your travel insurance policy number is ADD N04834823. It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
The travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis. There is no deductible or co-insurance. You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses. For more information about the medical claim process or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance. Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country). It is the patient's responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits, and Claims Status

Contact ACI at

UC Campus Health Insurance
For your time in Mexico, you are responsible for either 1) paying the health insurance fee at your UC campus, or 2) obtaining a health insurance waiver from your UC campus.

For the Winter/Sping term in Sacramento, you will be registered as a UC Davis student, since UCD is the home UC campus for the UCCS.  You will be contacted by UCCS staff in October to complete the UCD registration.  At that time, you will be responsible for either 1) paying the health insurance fee at UC Davis, or 2) obtaining a health insurance waiver from UC Davis.
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities

In Mexico

Medical facilities in Mexico City can handle most medical problems. Upon arrival, the Study Center will provide you with a list of hospitals and clinics, doctors, psychologists, and psychiatric services in the area.
If you have any preexisting health issues, carry a signed, dated letter from your primary physician describing all medical conditions, treatment, and prescribed medications, including generic names.
Cash is especially important to have on hand for medical emergencies outside of Mexico City, as medical facilities in smaller communities may not accept credit cards.

In Sacramento

The closest medical facilities to the UC Center Sacramento are Sutter Medical Center and UC Davis Medical Center.
Physical Health

While in Mexico


If you are sick, injured, or have a medical emergency

Seek medical attention and contact the Study Center immediately. The Study Center can help you with the hospital, guide you through the UCEAP insurance claim process for services covered under the policy, and help make arrangements with your professors if extended absence from class is expected

Follow Basic Guidelines to Stay Healthy

  • Food and beverage precautions are essential to reduce chance of illness.
  • In many areas in Mexico, tap water is unsafe. Do not drink it. Mexican surface waters and aquifers are heavily contaminated by sewage runoff, volcanic ash, solid and hazardous waste, arsenic and heavy metals, salt water, industrial wastes, pesticides and fungicides, including many prohibited by other countries.
  • Use only boiled, purified, or bottled water from a reputable distributor. Bottled water produced in Mexico may be as unsafe.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water (if soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand gel with at least 60% alcohol) and observe personal hygiene standards.
  • Avoid raw or undercooked seafood or dairy products. Limit eating food from street food vendors.
Take over-the-counter diarrhea medication, such as Pepto-Bismol, etc., to Mexico. It is likely that you will get diarrhea at some point.

Know Before You Go

Inform yourself before you travel. Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care. Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications




  • While on UCEAP you are covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.  Inform yourself, UCEAP travel insurance terms of coverage.
  • If you need a refill while abroad, you must see a local doctor. US prescriptions are not valid in other countries. You must travel with a letter from your prescribing physician explaining your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name. 

    Note:​ If the visit to the local doctor is considered preventive care, it will not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance; your campus or private insurance plan may cover it. 
  • If you need to find out if an appointment would be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance, contact ACI at For more information about the UCEAP travel insurance, refer to your UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, or your pre-departure checklist, Insurance tab.
  • Two classes of medicines – narcotics and psychotropics – are under the control of international law. This covers any medicine that can have an effect on the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the potential to be abused. The narcotic class mostly relates to analgesic opioids and their derivatives (e.g. morphine and codeine) which tend to be highly regulated. Psychotropics are all those medications likely to be used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychotic conditions.


  • If you plan to purchase medication using the UCEAP Travel Insurance coverage, you must fill and pay for medication when coverage is effective (14 days before the official start of the program). Do not assume that your local pharmacy knows about the UCEAP travel insurance policy. It is not the same as your campus health insurance coverage. You will need to pay for the medication and submit a claim to the UCEAP insurance.
  • Find out whether your medication is legal in your UCEAP country.
  • If traveling with a prescription containing controlled substances, check the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) website. The INCB is responsible for international drug control. If traveling with controlled substances, you must have a letter from your doctor. Generally, amphetamines (e.g., Adderall, Vyvanse) are illegal or unlicensed in other countries. Talk with your doctor to switch you to another medication.
  • Talk to your doctor to see whether he/she can prescribe an adequate supply of your prescription medication to last through the end of the program. Ask your doctor how to adjust your dosage depending on time zone changes.
  • Get a letter from the prescribing physician, on letterhead, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic name as brand names vary considerably around the world.


  • Keep the medication in its original packaging clearly labelled with your name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage. Carry it in your carry-on luggage, provided it is in pill or solid form. For more information, particularly if your medication is a liquid, consult the US Transportation Security Administration, Traveling with Medications.
  • Carry copies of all original US prescriptions.
  • Carry the letter on letterhead from the prescribing physician for all prescribed medications, indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen, including the generic names. This is extremely important in case you need treatment or a medication refill abroad.

Why is a letter from your treating physician necessary? 

If your particular medication cannot be taken into the country, talk to your doctor.  If you need to switch prescriptions, your doctor may need to make changes to your medication at least 3-6 months before departure to monitor side effects and dosage.  The letter from your doctor indicating condition, treatment and medication regimen, can help a local physician to assess you and to consider reissuing your prescription provided it is licensed in your UCEAP country. Note that the local doctor's appointment for medication refill may not be covered by the UCEAP travel insurance.

Consult with ACI about the UCEAP travel insurance coverage for prescriptions, Read more in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health section.​​​​

Mental Health



If you are currently in treatment in the US, discuss all program details with your doctor so you can work on a plan in case you need to reach out for care. Carry a letter from your doctor (on letterhead) indicating condition, treatment history, and medication regimen, so a local physician can assess your needs.

Consider the country where you will be living and studying. Many countries do not have adequate resources. How will you manage your mental health while studying abroad – whether or not you have a pre-existing condition? 

If you are taking a prescription medication, talk with your prescribing physician before departure about getting the supply you need for the length of your stay. Traveling through customs with medications for personal use can be problematic in countries where those medications are prohibited. Stimulants frequently used for attention deficit disorders, such as amphetamine or methylphenidate, may be problematic, along with narcotics. What substances are prohibited in any given country varies. For information about traveling with medications, refer to the Prescription Medications section in this guide.​

Cultural adjustment and homesickness are normal. They are usually transitory—lasting a couple of weeks—and do not imply mental illness or an inability to cope. Most students who experience culture adjustment function reasonably well under the stress and are able to keep up with the responsibilities of school and everyday life.


  • Do not try to manage alone. Reach out to local staff.
  • The UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Budget for this expense as you must pay up front and submit a claim to the insurance company for a refund consideration.  Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will require you to pay bills at the time of treatment. You must then submit a completed claim form and paid receipts to the UCEAP insurance company. For information about the claims process, access Insurance Claims Process. If you have questions about your UCEAP travel insurance benefits contact ACI at


Talk to the UC Center Sacramento staff or access your campus counseling center resources.
Health Risks

In Mexico


In high-altitude areas such as Mexico City (elevation over 7,000 feet), most people need a short adjustment period. Symptoms of reaction to high altitude include a lack of energy, shortness of breath, occasional dizziness, headache, and insomnia. Those with heart problems should consult their doctor before traveling.
Food Allergies
​Students with severe food allergies should take precautions, as the cuisine may include ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis in those affected. A language barrier increases the risks associated with severe food allergies. 
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.​
Air Quality


Although the air pollution in Mexico has decreased in the last two decades, levels of harmful pollutants such as particulate matter and ozone are still above the World Health Organization’s recommended levels in many Mexican cities. One of the main culprits is the transportation sector: the country’s fleet of inefficient trucks and cars consume dirty diesel fuels and emit high levels of black carbon (the second most powerful contributor to climate change behind carbon dioxide) and particulate matter. These contaminants not only impact the environment and worsen climate change, they also have grave effects on people.
Air pollution routinely exceeds recommended thresholds in urban areas. On days when air quality is particularly poor, take personal precautions to reduce respiratory stress.
  • If you have a chronic health condition that gets worse with air pollution, talk to your doctor about the risks before departure.
  • Plan activities when and where pollution levels are lower.
  • Change your activity level. When the air is polluted, try to take it easier if you are active outdoors. This will reduce how much pollution you breathe. Even if you can’t change your schedule, you might be able to change your activity so it is less intense.
  • Listen to your body.
  • Wear an N-95 respirator  (approved by the United States National Institute of Safety and Health) and follow local public health messages.
Even if you are healthy, you may experience temporary symptoms, such as irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; phlegm; chest tightness; and shortness of breath.  Check AirNow for  the current air quality index.
Staying Safe

​Travel Registration and UCEAP Travel Policy in Mexico

You are required to register online through the U.S. Department of State with the U.S. Embassy so you can receive emergency messages.

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City posts additional information about local safety and health issues for U.S. citizens on its website.
Review the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Information for Mexico, which provides updated and detailed information about security issues affecting the country on a state-by-state basis.
Prepare for the program environment and listen to all information issued by UCEAP in California and in Mexico.
The UCEAP Travel Policy for Mexico restricts travel to specific regions in Mexico. Until further notice, students are prohibited from visiting or conducting research in several locations. Students found in violation of this prohibition will be dismissed. Read the UCEAP Travel Policy and know which locations you must avoid. Comply with this heightened state of alert, observe all safety measures implemented by the Study Center.


Minimize Risk

​In Mexico

Know Before you Go: Safety Preparedness

Mexico City is the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere and the second largest in the world by population. You will encounter the challenges associated with dense urban living: increased crime, severe air pollution, and standards of living that are different from those in the U.S. Crime levels in Mexico City are high. When in Mexico City, take personal safety precautions. 
Remain aware of your surroundings and to what is happening around you.  Plan how you will respond to an emergency. 
  • cannot assume responsibility for actions or events that are beyond its control or for situations that may arise due to participants not disclosing pertinent information.
  • makes reasonable efforts to promote a safe environment for students and to offer reliable information to UCEAP students and their parents regarding relevant precautions and potential risks.
  • is in continual contact with local staff abroad and has 24/7 dedicated staff in Mexico City and in international emergency response team that monitors local and international conditions and threats that may affect the health and safety of students, staff, and faculty around the world.
At the start of the semester, you will attend a safety orientation on campus. There are emergency phones located throughout the UNAM campus; know how to use them. Security cars patrol the area regularly. In addition, free buses called pumitas are available to transport you across campus.
Crime & Prevention

​In Mexico

Street crime, ranging from pick-pocketing to armed robbery, is a serious problem in most major cities. US Department of State rates the overall crime and safety situation as critical.  Be particularly alert on public transport, at airports and in bus stations. Theft on buses is common so keep an eye on your belongings at all times. Pick-pocketing is common on the Mexico City Metro.

Security and your safety will be addressed during onsite orientation.  Also refer to the Minimize Risk section in this guide.

Police Response 

In its efforts to heighten security, the government has deployed security forces to various parts of the country and has created a new military unit known as the National Gendarmerie to augment security in certain areas of Mexico.

Be wary of those representing themselves as police officers or other officials. When in doubt, ask for identification.

Drugs ​& Alcohol

The use of drugs is strictly forbidden by law. While in a foreign country, a U.S. citizen is subject to that country’s laws and regulations, which sometimes differ significantly from those in the United States and may not afford the protections available to the individual under U.S. law.
Penalties for breaking the law can be more severe than in the United States for similar offenses. Persons violating Mexican laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Penalties for possession, use, or trafficking illegal drugs in Mexico are severe, and convicted offenders can expect heavy fines and long jail sentences of up to 25 years.
Do not leave drinks unattended in bars and nightclubs. Drugs can easily be mixed into drinks when unattended. These drugs can disorient you, dramatically impair your judgment, or cause you to lose consciousness. Once you lose sight of your drink, do not continue drinking. 

Carrying any form of marijuana into Mexico, even if it is accompanied by a prescription or medical marijuana license, is a Mexican federal offense and considered as international drug trafficking. Offenders can expect large fines and/or jail sentences of up to 25 years.


Express Kidnapping

Express kidnapping differs from conventional kidnapping in that the criminals do not intend to hold the victim until a large ransom can be paid; rather, they coerce victims into giving up personal identification numbers (PINs) or pass-codes to their debit and credit card accounts in order to extract as much money from the victims’ accounts as they can in a short amount of time. While conventional kidnapping victims can remain hostage for weeks, express kidnappings typically last only hours or days. This type of kidnapping is becoming especially common in major cities of Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuela.
Criminals are less discriminate in targeting victims for express kidnappings than they are for conventional kidnappings. There is no need to target an individual of great personal wealth; anyone with a decent-sized checking or savings account will do. Victims are generally targeted at random, and abductions can occur almost anywhere. Express kidnappings are less complicated than conventional kidnappings, which require safe houses, someone to stand guard, food supplies to last weeks, and a methodical negotiation strategy. Similarly, express kidnappers may be less sophisticated and more prone to panic and mistakes.
Vulnerable Situations for Express Kidnapping:
  • Withdrawing cash from a street ATM (as opposed to an ATM in the lobby of a hotel, or inside of a bank).
  • Hailing an unofficial or illegitimate taxi from the street.
To Reduce the Likelihood of Becoming A Victim:
  • Withdraw cash from ATMs located in a hotel, bank, mall, or otherwise secure location.
  • Only withdraw cash during the day and when there are other people in the area.
  • Do not withdraw cash after consuming alcohol; inebriation tends to lower one’s ability to accurately assess the security of a situation.
  • Only use taxis affiliated with, or arranged by, reputable companies or hotels.
  • Travel with a debit card that is linked to an account with limited funds; this is likely to reduce the time a victim is held hostage, since the account will more rapidly reach a zero balance.
  • Do not travel with multiple exclusive credit cards. If feasible, leave all such cards at home.
  • If confronted, relinquish valuables at once; hesitation could cause the attacker to panic and lash out violently.

Phone Extortion (or Virtual Kidnapping)

Similar to express kidnapping, and also increasingly common, is a crime referred to as “phone extortion.” In these crimes, criminals call a victim and claim to have kidnapped a family member. Then they attempt to secure a quick, and generally small, ransom payment. In a typical scenario, criminals know in advance that a certain family member is away and out of immediate contact, perhaps in a movie theater or on a flight. This way, the person they call cannot quickly verify if the person in question has actually been kidnapped. Callers may also try to obtain information about a person’s relatives or associates in order to extort them as well.
In phone extortion, the caller is likely to press the victim to give over financial data such as bank account numbers, credit card numbers, or the caller may order the individual to wire funds into a stated account. Professional kidnappers, if they have a victim, typically understand that they will have to negotiate with a lawyer, law enforcement official, or professional K&R (kidnap & ransom) specialist. They will typically ask for exorbitant amounts, knowing that they will have to settle for a smaller negotiated amount. Phone extortionists will typically ask for $1,500 to $10,000 dollars.
Handling Phone Extortion
  • Designate a secret code ahead of time; a code that you and your family would be the only ones to know. If you get a call, ask to speak to the family member who has been kidnapped—this can establish the reality of the claim. If the caller will not allow this, ask the caller for the code. If this is a real kidnapping case, the criminal will be able to produce the code.
  • Immediately call the security hotline to seek advice.
  • Do not give financial information to the caller.
  • Do not transfer funds to an account given to you by the caller.
Civil Unrest

In Mexico



The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners.  Such actions may result in detention and/or deportation. Avoid all demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by the Mexican authorities.  Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.  Demonstrators in Mexico may block traffic on roads, including major arteries, or take control of toll booths on highways.  Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any protests. Seek shelter if you are caught in a large crowd.
Traffic & Transportation Safety

In Mexico

You will encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. Some roads can be poor in some areas of the country. Dangerous curves, reckless driving (ignoring speed limits, lane changes, and/or not stopping at red lights), poorly marked signs, slow-moving or abandoned vehicles, and other obstacles pose road hazards. Limit all road travel to daylight hours throughout the country. Availability of public transport is inadequate.
Never wear expensive jewelry or use electronic devices while using public transportation.
Sexual harassment is a significant problem on busses and other public transportation in Mexico City.  To avoid being victims of sexual harassment, women should not travel alone during rush hour or at night. Women should take the women's only metro trains and buses.


If you plan to travel from the airport by taxi, it is important to use only an official airport taxi service.  Not all individuals offering taxi services at the airport have an official license to operate, and there have been many cases of passengers being robbed by unlicensed taxis drivers. 
  • Use only official airport taxis.
Sitio taxis in Mexico City are most often metered and registered by the government. Sitio taxis from Benito Juarez International Airport are paid in advance at the terminal (at the Sitio stands) and are well regulated. Do not take any taxi not summoned by telephone or contacted in advance. When in need of a taxi, telephone a radio taxi or sitio (regulated taxi stand), and ask the dispatcher for the driver's name and the taxi's license plate number. See Taxi Safety below for more information.
Taxi Safety in Mexico City
The best crime defense for any visitor is to avoid the use of libre taxi cabs, which commonly pick up fares on the street after being hailed by customers. Libre taxis are poorly regulated and often linked to criminal enterprises. Radio-dispatched base station taxis, are safer, more reliable, and worth the added expense. The Mexico City taxis have changed color from white and green to read/burgundy and gold/brown.  There are also white/pink taxis.
  • Due to the danger involved in utilizing libre taxis and the increased difficulty in determining the difference between the different types of taxis, the best practice is to avoid hailing taxis on the street entirely. Instead, always telephone for a radio-dispatched sitio taxi rather than hailing a free-ranging green Volkswagen libre taxi.
  • Ask the sitio dispatcher for the driver’s name and the cab’s license plate number.
  • Before entering a cab, verify that the driver matches the photo ID posted on the taxi window and verify the name and license plate.
  • Once in a taxi, remain alert, keeping all possessions close by and in sight. Taxi drivers have been known to take things from passengers’ bags if they are left unattended.
If you must use a street taxi, check to see that the license plate number is the same as the numbre on the side of the vehicle, that the driver's permit is in plain view and that the picture on the permit resembles the driver. Passengers who use libre taxis are often robbed by two or three armed individuals who enter the taxi a few minutes into the trip, having been called or signaled by the driver.
Also, libre taxis are often connected to express kidnappings, abductions where the victim is turned around in a matter of hours for a small ransom or shuttled to a series of ATMs and forced to withdraw funds. Because 24-hour withdrawal limits are now the industry standard on ATM cards, express kidnapping victims are typically held for 24 to 48 hours to maximize withdrawal amounts.  

Public Transportation

Mexico City has many public transportation options including the Metrobus, peseros buses (also called microbuses or combis), and the subway (metro). The cheapest and least safe are the peseros buses. They operate all over the city and often connect to Metrobus or Subway stations.
  • Avoid the peseros buses unless you are very familiar with the specific route and are not carrying valuables.
  • Sexual harassment is a significant problem.  Women and men are separated into different Metrobus and subway cars during rush hour or at night. 

Mexico City Metro

The metro and the Metrobus offer comparatively more secure means of transport during the day. Cars are typically overcrowded during rush hour, and the risk of pickpocketing increases. During peak hours, the Metro reserves some carriages for women and children only (once people are inside the metro car, this separation may not be strictly enforced). To avoid being victims of sexual harassment, women should not travel alone during rush hour or at night.
More information is available on the Mexico City Metro website.  


One of the easiest (and relatively secure) modes of transportation.  It runs up and down Insurgentes Avenue and connects the Casa de California (Estacion La Bombilla) with UNAM and downtown Mexico City. Buy a bus card at machines located at the bus stations or near Metrobus stations.  You can add to the money value on the card at any Metrobus stations.

Pedestrian Safety

Crosswalks, pedestrian lights, and pedestrian bridges are often lacking or inadequate. Many crossings are poorly placed, unsafe, or inaccessible. Be alert when walking, as drivers often fail to obey traffic regulations. Taxi and city bus drivers commonly ignore posted speed limits and fail to stop at traffic lights.
As a pedestrian, it is your responsibility to make yourself visible and avoid dangerous behavior and situations.
  • When possible, utilize the sidewalk; if not available, you should walk against the flow of traffic.
  • Always obey crossing signals, but make sure to look both ways before crossing into the street. Even if you have the right of way, it is important to realize that vehicles may not always stop.
  • Make eye contact with drivers and pay attention to the environment around you. 
  • Do not wear headphones or talk on your cell phone while crossing the street. 
  • Pay attention to your surroundings and take extra care to avoid dangerous situations.
Mexico City is located in a very active sismic zone so is vulnerable to earthquakes.There is a public earthquake early warning system, Sistema de Alerta Sismica (SAS), that provides alerts through media outlets and Internet applications when an earthquake is detected.  The system can generate a warning signal of about 60 seconds.

Surviving an earthquake and reducing its impact requires preparation, planning, and practice. For more information, refer to FEMA’s earthquake preparedness website. You can also access the U.S. CDC Earthquake Preparedness information.
  • Familiarize yourself with the earthquake alarm. 
  • Have a plan. Sketch a floor plan of your home, identifying exits and safe and dangerous areas of each room. Mark safe spots (under doorways, in an inside corner of room, etc.) and dangerous spots (next to large windows, tall furniture, etc.) in each room. The best places to be during an earthquake are beneath supported archways, against inside walls and corners, or in doorways. Stay away from windows, hanging objects, mirrors, fireplaces, bookshelves, or tall unsecured furniture. Do not crawl under desks or beds as they could crush you if a heavy load falls on top of them.
  • Identify meeting places with the UCEAP Study Center staff.
  • Stay informed.
  • Refer to the U.S. Embassy, Preparing for Emergencies page.
  • Access daily earthquake information within Mexico from the Mexican Servicio Sismologico Nacional or through their Facebook page.
Credit Card Skimming

In Mexico

​Exercise caution when using credit or debit cards.  The U.S. Embassy reports instances in which U.S. citizens in Mexico have had their card numbers “skimmed” and the money in their debit accounts stolen or their credit cards fraudulently charged.  Skimming is the theft of credit card information by an employee of a legitimate merchant or bank manually copying down numbers, using a magnetic stripe reader, or using a camera and skimmer installed in an ATM. 

The risk of physical theft of credit or debit cards also exists.  To prevent such theft, the U.S. Embassy recommends to keep close track of your personal belongings and that you only carry what you need.  Most restaurants and other businesses will bring the credit card machine to your table so that you can keep the card in your possession at all times.  If you choose to use credit cards, you should regularly check your account status to ensure there are no unauthorized transactions.

Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment

In Mexico

Sexual Assault

Rape and sexual assault continue to be serious problems in resort areas. Many of these incidents occur at night or during the early morning hours, in hotel rooms, or on deserted beaches. Acquaintance rape is a serious problem.

Street Harassment (Acoso en las Calles)

Street harassment is an unfortunate reality in Mexico City as it is in many major cities around the world. While verbal harassment disguised as a compliment is not considered by many as sexual, there is a city law specifying that forms of sexual abuse in public places range from leering, comments, suggestive gestures, and touching. Even with this law in place, you may encounter street harassment. There is no overall “best” way to respond to every harasser in every circumstance, and you are the only one who can determine the best way to respond in any given situation. Consider all risks in confonting a harasser in the street.  The more informed you are about options for responding, the better you can be at making that decision. Machismo remains at the cultural core of Mexico, and women are expected to submit to the everyday sexism they encounter on the streets.
If you encounter street harassment, talk to the Study Center staff for advice.
Suggestions for how to respond to a harasser:
  1. Use strong body language. Look the harasser in the eyes; speak in a strong, clear voice. Don’t give mixed signals, show assertiveness and strength.
  2. Project confidence and calm. Even if you do not feel that way, it is important to appear calm, serious, and confident.
  3. Do not apologize, make an excuse, or ask a question. Be firm.
  4. Repeat your statement or leave.
  5. Do not swear or lose your temper: This type of reaction is the most likely to make the harasser respond with anger and violence.
  6. Decide when you’re done. Success is how you define it. If you said what you needed to say and you’re ready to leave, do so.
  7. Don’t do anything if at any time you feel threatened. Walk away.

University of California Policy

Every member of the UCEAP community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual violence and sexual harassment, retaliation, and other prohibited behavior (“Prohibited Conduct”) that violates law and/or University policy. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of Prohibited Conduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct, and when necessary, to discipline behavior that violates this Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Report to the local
UCEAP staff and/or partners if you suspect one of these behaviors has occurred.

Fire Safety
Most college-related fires in the US are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
In case of fire in Mexico: Dial 068.
UCEAP Contingency Planning

In Mexico

If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the US Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Advisory after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, UC security providers, US Embassy, US Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy evacuation on US government-arranged flights, that require US citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP and its experienced security providers, is covered by UCEAP insurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the US

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.
If you are Mexico and need immediate local emergency assistance:
Ambulance ......065
Police ..............066, 060, or 080
You will be informed at orientation that the Casa de California is the meeting site in case of disaster or personal threat.  The Casa de California has 24-hour security and is equipped to receive students if an emergency occurs.

Carry the local UCEAP emergency contact information at all times. Place a collect call to the UCEAP Emergency Assistance provider, United Healthcare Global: 1-410-453-6300; E‐mail Identify yourself as a UCEAP student and provide your UHCG Group ID (362881) and policy number, ADDN 04834823.​

If necessary, call the after-hours emergency number of the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City: 01-52-55-5080-2000, then press “0” and ask the switchboard operator to connect you to the duty officer.
American Embassy in Mexico City
Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtemoc
06500 Mexico, D.F.
Phone: (01-55 ) 5080-2000
Fax: (01-55 ) 5525-5040
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.