Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
New Zealand
Approx. Time Difference
19 hrs, April - September
21 hrs, October - March
New Zealand Universities - Fall
This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, cultural awareness, finances and more.

Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
“New Zealand is an amazing country with so much to offer. The outdoor activities are endless and the education is very unique. As a biology major, I find the structure of the courses allows for more hands-on experience as well as interesting field trips. Most classes are run by several specialists sharing with you their exceptional array of knowledge on the subject matter. The scenery is out of this world as well, leaving you speechless at times. You will fall in love with the genuine niceness of the people here, and leave with so many phenomenal memories. You’ll definitely want to come back for more!”
~ Sabrina Littee, UC Santa Barbara
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network
Academic Information
Program Overview
Academic Culture
Course Information
Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

UCEAP Orientation

The program begins with a mandatory UCEAP orientation program in Auckland. Orientation sessions cover issues of practical concern and provide information on life in New Zealand, the academic program, and the role of UCEAP in your participation. Check the calendar on your UCEAP Participants Page for the mandatory UCEAP arrival and orientation dates. See also the Arrival Information on the Predeparture Checklist, Participants Page.
All students are required to participate in the ALL-UCEAP orientation in Auckland. Accommodation will be reserved and provided for the five nights of the EAP orientation (this cost is included in your EAP fees).  If you plan to arrive in New Zealand before the official UCEAP arrival/start date, you will need to make your own arrangments and plan to pay for your room and meals prior to the orientation.
In order to be kept informed of any program changes, keep your address, phone number, and (especially!) your primary e-mail updated in MyEAP. Check e-mail announcements from UCEAP regularly.
The start date of the program can change due to unforeseen circumstances, and you are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any unrecoverable transportation charges incurred for travel arrangements. 
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Domestic travel: Following the UCEAP orientation in Auckland, you will travel to your host university and attend their orientation for international students/study abroad and exchange students (except for students attending the University of Auckland, who will either stay in Auckland or leave for personal travel prior to the start of the UoA orientation). Most students travel by bus from Auckland to their host university destination; this can easily be arranged after arrival in Auckland. Each NZ host university begins on a different schedule. You may find that you have a very short gap between the end of the EAP orientation and your mandatory host university orientation, or you may have more time to bridge between the orientations. Past students have used the extra time to do some traveling around New Zealand with students they have met at the EAP orientaion, or go apartment hunting if they plan to live off campus during the semester.
Travel Documents
Packing Tips
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Mail & Shipments
Housing & Meals
Where Will I Live?
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Extracurricular Activities
Students with Disabilities
Travel Sign-out Form
Recreational Travel
UCEAP Insurance
While abroad, you must be covered by two insurance policies. The UCEAP Insurance Plan is paid by the University of California and required for all UCEAP participants.
National Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
Physical Health
Prescription Medication


Mental Health
Health Risks
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk


Extreme Sports

UCEAP strongly discourages participation in extreme adventure sports, such as bungee jumping, sky diving, rappelling, climbing, motorcycling, and kayaking. Injuries and even death result from participation in such activities.
If you choose to engage in such activities, use caution and common sense. Never participate alone, always carry identification, and let someone else know where you are at all times. Before kayaking, check the river conditions and wear a life jacket. When hiking, rappelling, or climbing, carry a first aid kit, know the location of the nearest rescue center, and bring a friend along.


Controlled Substances 

New Zealand has strict marijuana laws. Cannabis use is controlled by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1975. Marijuana is scheduled under controlled drugs, Class C of the Act, and more potent forms, such as hashish and cannabis oil, are scheduled under Class B. Possession of any amount of cannabis is illegal and can result in a fine of up to $500 or even a 3-month prison sentence.
Do not attempt to smuggle controlled drugs and temporary class drugs into New Zealand. You will be detained and deported.  The importation of such drugs could result in your imprisonment. Be cautious about carrying packages or baggage for strangers.
If you arrive in New Zealand carrying controlled drugs (Class A, B, C, any substance, preparation, mixture, or article) on you or in your luggage (e.g., methadone, cannabis, amphetamine, etc.), you may import it provided that you:
  • Declare the controlled drugs on your passenger arrival card. 
  • Do not have more than one month’s supply of the controlled drug with you – if you have more you will need a license to import from the Ministry of Health.
  • Prove to Customs that the drug: 
    • is required for treating your medical condition 
    • has been  lawfully supplied to you in the country of origin – a letter from your doctor or a valid label on the container with your name and the quantity and strength of the drugs would be sufficient.
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Earthquakes and other Natural Disasters
Race Relations
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.