Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Lund, Sweden
Approx. Time Difference
Add 9 hours
Lund University - Summer, Fall, Spring & Year

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.

Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Contact Information

Program Advisor
Katerina Georgieva
Phone: (805) 893-4430; E-mail:
Operations Specialist
Kitty Christen
Phone: (805) 893-4430; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Lauren Nestler
Phone: (805) 893-4683; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Antonette Escarsega
Phone: (805) 893-4023; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Predeparture Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP page.

Study Center Abroad

The UCEAP Study Center provides a variety of student support services, including advising on Lund University academic matters, providing information on cultural activities, and clarifying health and safety guidelines.
University of California Study Center at Lund University
PO Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden
Phone (calling from the U.S.): (011-46) 46 222 38 85
Phone (calling from Sweden): 0 46 222 38 85

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code .......011
(dial this to call from the U.S.
Sweden country code .........46
Lund city code................... 46
Stockholm city code .......... 8

Approximate Time Difference

Add 9 hours
Academic Information
Program Overview

Summer Language and Culture Program

This program, which you can take alone or as an introduction to either the fall semester or academic year programs at Lund University, enriches your cultural experience and provides access to additional academic opportunities during the year. The program offers coursework from beginning to advanced levels of Swedish. You will enroll in two courses, valued at 5 UC quarter units (3.3 semester units) each, and earn 10 UC quarter units (6.6 semester units) for successful completion of the program. All courses must be taken for a letter grade. If you continue to the fall semester or year program you may take the summer language and culture courses for Pass/No Pass. 
Courses focus on Swedish language acquisition and cultural immersion. Swedish is used in the classroom from the start in order to develop competence in all aspects of the language, including reading, writing, grammar, and conversation. In addition to 100 hours of classroom work, the curriculum includes field trips, guest lectures, and social activities that introduce you to Swedish culture and society as well as Sweden’s role in Scandinavia and Europe. Classes are held five hours per day on weekdays.

Intensive Language Program (ILP)

All students in the semester or year-long programs who do not opt for the summer language and culture program must take the two-week intensive language program (ILP), which concentrates on developing Swedish communication skills. Most UCEAP students are at the beginning level. Fall students will receive 4 UC quarter units (2.7 semester units) for the course and spring students will receive 3 UC quarter units (2 semester units) for the course. The ILP can be taken for a letter grade or for Pass/No Pass.

Fall, Spring, and Year Programs

If you begin with the summer language and culture program, you will have a short break in August, during which social activities and excursions are offered by Lund University.
During the semester you attend regular courses at Lund University. You are encouraged to enroll in at least one departmental course at Lund University that focuses on your UC major. If you have the required background, you may enroll in courses in other subjects as well. In addition, a number of courses that focus on history, political science, philosophy, culture, society, gender studies, the environment, and more are offered in English through the department of Special Area Studies. These courses were designed for exchange students and have no prerequisites. You also have the option of continuing your Swedish language studies either at Lund University (at no charge) or at Folkuniversitetet (for a material/lab-fee of approximately SEK6.000 per module), combining these courses with your regular coursework at Lund University.
You are required to take a full-time course of study while on UCEAP and enroll in at least 18 UC quarter units (12 semester units) per semester. The typical unit load is 20-24 UC quarter units (13.3-16 semester units) per semester.  This is in addition to the units taken during the ILP or the summer language and culture program. Students usually take three to four courses during the semester.
Academic Culture
Lund University is one of the country’s most respected universities and acceptance is competitive. Students are exceptionally motivated and instructors have high expectations. A notable difference from UC is that Swedish students fulfill their breadth requirements during their upper-secondary school; therefore coursework is focused within the major department. Generally, the BA degree is a three-year program.
The typical Lund University course differs from a typical UC course in that students are expected to supplement the course significantly outside the classroom (e.g., doing more than the minimum assigned reading). Swedish higher education values student self-reliance and maturity. Instructors expect you to have thought critically about the material to be presented in lectures and be prepared to discuss it.
If you have sufficient language skills, you may take coursework in Swedish. Introductory coursework at Lund University is offered almost entirely in Swedish, but most UCEAP students take upper-division courses, many of which are in English. Most disciplines have assigned readings in both English and Swedish. You may take exams and write papers in English.
Instructors at Lund are accessible and willing to interact with students. Consult thoroughly with your instructors about class requirements and clarify questions about course material. They will expect you to take the initiative. 

Course Structure

Lund has a two-block per semester system. Courses may overlap the blocks and they can also be of various lengths. Schedules can also vary from week to week. Units for each course differ and are based on the European system of ECTS (European Credit Transfer System), but most courses are either 7.5 ECTS (6 UC quarter units/4 semester units) or 15 ECTS (12 UC quarter units/8 semester units). Upon arrival, students accepted into some courses will be informed of the precise time and place of the course’s first (introductory) meeting. The schedule for the rest of the course will be announced at this first meeting. Since Lund students typically take only one or two intensive courses at a time, there is no practical reason for departments to publish schedules as early as it is done at UC. The actual lecture times and classroom location may not be finalized until this first meeting occurs. This may potentially result in scheduling conflicts, so plan on submitting alternative course requests.

Libraries and Textbooks

The vast Lund University library is housed in several different department locations. The university library catalog system (Lovisa) is accessible from computer terminals located in each library. The library also subscribes to newspapers and journals, accessed from the catalog called “ELIN@Lund.” Additionally, there are several city libraries that are available for your use.
The book lists provided on your syllabi usually will include two or three main textbooks and additional selected readings. The departments (institutions) often sell course readers that include assigned and recommended readings. Even for courses taught in Swedish, the texts and course materials are often available in English. Instructors sometimes distribute lecture notes. Copies of textbooks listed in course syllabi are available at the library for reference, although you may want to purchase your own books for the sake of convenience. Books, particularly those in English, are relatively expensive in Sweden.
Students in Lund do use the libraries as study spaces. There are also other student areas around campus with rooms that students can use for group projects or individual study. Some of these rooms and seats need to be booked in advance.
Course Information

Lund University Online Application for All Programs

For summer, fall, and year participants, the Lund University Online Application opens on March 1. The deadline for you to submit the Online Application (and any additional requested documentation) is March 15. For spring participants, the Lund University Online Application opens on September 1, and the corresponding deadline is September 15. Specific instructions regarding your Online Application will be e-mailed to you and available on your online UCEAP Predeparture Checklist before the Online Application opens. As part of your Online Application you will indicate your background and prior knowledge of the Swedish language to determine the appropriate level of instruction for you.

Registering for Courses

As part of your Lund Online Application you will be indicating which courses you wish to take while in Sweden. You will be finalizing your course selection upon arrival. You need to include all the courses you are interested in on the Online Application—you will not be able to “shop around” at the beginning of the term to the same extent you may be accustomed to at UC. Pay careful attention to the schedule of classes, the language of instruction, the number of credits, and the prerequisites. Additional courses are usually announced closer to the start of the semester and you are able to sign up for these upon your arrival at Lund.
The UCEAP Study Center will consult and collaborate with the Lund University departments regarding your course selection (not applicable to summer L&C participants). The respective departments and UC Study Center may advise alternative coursework. Give careful consideration to your course requests and consult with your UC departmental advisor regarding your proposed study plan, taking major requirements into consideration. You should also stay in contact with your department advisors while you are abroad in the event that there are changes to your academic program or questions arise regarding the transfer of courses to your major or general education requirements. If you are interested in registering for a course listed at the moderately advanced level, you should have previously taken about 20 upper-division UC quarter units in that area.
After you arrive in Sweden, Study Center staff and advisors from academic departments will provide you with the help you need to prepare a final Study List. During registration and before classes start, contact the UC Study Center with questions pertaining to course registration, prerequisites, and course availability.
You can find information about courses on the Lund University Course Information for Exchange Students web page. This page provides links to courses, which are categorized according to the schools (faculty). Note the course prerequisites as well as the semester in which the course is offered. You should use the UC term(s) prior to departure to prepare yourself for your courses in Sweden by taking relevant or prerequisite courses. Consult with your UC department to plan your academic program prior to departure.
Descriptions of courses previously taken by UCEAP students at Lund are available in the MyEAP Course Catalog. Note that not all courses are listed in the MyEAP catalog and that courses are subject to change. If, after surveying online resources and talking to Campus EAP Office staff, you still have academic questions, direct them to the UCEAP Systemwide Office.
Advanced courses in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and many other natural sciences are offered with instruction in English, and acceptance into particular courses is competitive. To qualify, you must have completed the specific prerequisites at UC prior to departure, including a considerable amount of laboratory work. It is possible to take coursework in undergraduate research in connection to biology and chemistry courses, which past UCEAP students have found to be a unique academic experience.
There is typically a comprehensive final exam at the end of each academic course that tests your ability to present and analyze the class material studied in the lecture and in the reading. There is generally plenty of allotted time to answer a few essay questions. Grading in the course is normally based on the results of the final exam and on the required group study, research, and papers. Grading is based on both knowledge and presentation of course material.
The Swedish grade is converted to the UC grade by the UC Study Center. All requests to be graded on a P/NP basis must be noted on the UCEAP Study List and all changes to your Study List must be petitioned through the Study Center. You will be informed of the deadline to submit academic petitions at your orientation. You need to be aware of these deadlines as late petitions will not be accepted. No more than one-third of the UC quarter units in any term may be taken Pass/No Pass. 
Grades for the fall semester are typically available by mid-March and grades for the spring semester are typically available by mid-August.
For information about grades on UCEAP, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
​For those who choose to stay after the program and have acquired sufficient knowledge of Swedish, you can look for an internship through Lund’s Arbetslivscenter (Career Center). Some internship opportunities may be available in English. UCEAP Study Center staff will help you arrange them upon your arrival in Sweden.
Volunteer opportunities are typically available at Swedish schools (grade schools through high school), hospitals, and various non-profit organizations. These are not formal programs; you must personally make the contact with the local organizations to set it up. Students can also volunteer at the Student Nations and Student Unions.
UCEAP students have the opportunity to participate in internships that are tied to research and/or lab work organized through the departments at Lund University. If you are interested in doing research in a particular field, you should contact the faculty after your arrival in Lund to see what opportunities are available.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Extending your UCEAP participation is possible. UCEAP encourages you to extend your participation to the fall semester or academic year. If you are considering extending your UCEAP participation, submit a Departmental and College Preliminary Approval to Extend (DPA) form prior to departure. This will facilitate the extension process. The UCEAP Systemwide Office and the Study Center must approve your extension request. Approval is based on a number of factors including academic performance, the support of your UC campus department, and available space at Lund University. To initiate the extension process once abroad, make an appointment with the Study Center.

Summer Language & Culture

Summer participants may extend to the fall semester or academic year. It is best to have a pre-approved DPA, but it is possible to submit a Petition to Extend. See the Study Center for details.
Note that the GPA requirement for the fall and year programs is higher than the GPA requirement for the summer-only program. You must meet the higher GPA requirement to be considered for extension.
July 15 is the deadline for extension from the summer Language & Culture program to the fall semester or academic year.

Fall Semester

Fall participants may extend to the academic year. It is best to have a pre-approved DPA, but you may also submit a Petition to Extend. See the Study Center for details.
November 1 is the UCEAP deadline for extension from the fall semester to the academic year. The deadline for extending may be earlier with Lund University. Contact the Study Center as early as possible for deadlines and requirements.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your UC campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus EAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take in regards to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. The Swedish Institute provides considerable information about Sweden. Consult their website to find fact sheets and books about Sweden and Scandinavia. Travel guides and travel-related websites, such as Lonely Planet, are also quality resources.
Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers, magazines, and journals. Past UCEAP participants recommend reading an international newspaper right away. International politics and events are often topics of discussion in Sweden.

Useful News Sites


Radio Broadcasting

Radio Sweden, the official international broadcasting station of Sweden, offers multicultural and multilingual programming that covers a smörgåsbord of the news and current events of not only Sweden, but also Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and Norway. It broadcasts every day in English, German, French, Russian, Spanish, Estonian, Latvian, and Swedish. A broadcast schedule is available on the Radio Sweden website.

Recommended Reading

For information and insight into Swedish and Scandinavian culture and history, read the following books: 
Improve Your Language Skills
English is widely spoken in Sweden, but it is not an English-speaking country. Not everyone has a good command of English. To truly understand the culture, you must have a degree of familiarity with Swedish language and customs. UCEAP is an academic program; students should be committed to learning the local language, history, and culture.
Before going abroad, watch some Swedish films with English subtitles. This will help you acclimate to the sound of the Swedish language. Some good films are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and Let the Right One In.
The environment in Lund is conducive to learning and using Swedish. Lund is a university town and students socialize easily with their Swedish peers. Most Swedish university students speak excellent English. Although some international students find it easier to communicate in English rather than in Swedish, you are urged to resist this temptation and to use as much Swedish as possible. Swedes generally do not expect immediate fluency, and they respect and encourage the efforts of others to learn their language.
Social Customs

Social Customs

Swedes typically greet each other by saying “Hej,” and shaking hands. Good friends often hug each other. People expect you to present yourself by your first name when you make phone calls and when you are in a new group of people.
When you are invited to dine in someone’s home, bring flowers or a small gift and take off your shoes when you enter their home. During dinner, praise the food and remember to thank the host before leaving. Next time you meet, remember to thank them again for having you over.

Interactions While Abroad

You will find yourself in the unofficial position of ambassador for University of California and for the U.S. You will be routinely asked what it is like in California, to explain why Americans are the way they are, and to air your views of such things as U.S. foreign policy. Past students recommend that you take the time to familiarize yourself with facts about California, your home town, and the U.S. in general. It is also useful to read a newspaper regularly, such as the International Herald Tribune.

Alcohol, Smoking, and Drugs

Smoking is prohibited in restaurants and in some other public places. Drugs are absolutely forbidden in Sweden. Use or handling of any amount, no matter how small, can lead to imprisonment. The U.S. Embassy and UCEAP will not be able to help if you are arrested.
You will find that alcoholic beverages are served or sold at student parties. Nonalcoholic beverages are always available and it is quite acceptable to refrain from drinking alcohol. Drinking-and-driving laws in Sweden are extremely strict, and breaking these laws can lead to harsh punishment, even if no accident has occurred.
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
You are required to attend a mandatory UCEAP orientation in Sweden on the Official UCEAP Start Date of your program. You are subject to dismissal from UCEAP if you do not attend this orientation (per the UCEAP Student Agreement).
Orientation includes academic briefings and details on how to take care of practical matters such as banking in Sweden, public transportation, housing, and health care.
Detailed information regarding the arrival meeting point and orientation will be sent via e-mail prior to your arrival.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Note that UCEAP strongly discourages “couch surfing” when traveling. This is defined as using an Internet social network to organize free places to stay.  

Airline Tickets

You are strongly urged to purchase changeable airline tickets. Standby tickets are not appropriate for UCEAP students.
You are responsible for reserving and purchasing your airline ticket, even if you are on financial aid. Your Financial Aid Office will not do it for you. It is best to purchase a changeable airline ticket.
Flights are often changed or even canceled. Be sure to confirm your flight schedule in the days prior to your scheduled departure.
The Sweden programs begin in Lund on the Official Start Date. The dates are noted in the program calendar, which is located on the Calendar tab on your Participants page and in the Arrival Information Sheet in the Predeparture Checklist. You must be in Lund on this date. Failure to appear on the Official Start Date is cause for dismissal from the program (see Student Agreement). Check the start date and time before you purchase a ticket.
If the start date of your program is changed due to unforeseen circumstances, you are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any transportation charges incurred for independent travel arrangements.
In order to be kept informed of any program changes, notify UCEAP of any changes in your address, phone number, or e-mail address by updating MyEAP.
Travel Documents

Student Residence Permit

You will receive a Residence Permit application along with specific instructions in the UCEAP online Predeparture Checklist.
To apply for the Residence Permit, you must possess a passport that will remain valid for at least three months beyond the end of the program. If you are thinking about extending, be sure that your passport is valid for at least three months beyond the end of the program to which you plan to extend.
U.S. Citizens: Must complete the application form and mail it, along with other required documents, to the Swedish consulate to be approved for a Residence Permit Card. The processing takes approximately eight to ten weeks. You will not receive the actual Residence Permit Card until after you are in Sweden, after having biometric fingerprints and photos made.
Non-U.S./Non-EU Citizens: Should contact the Swedish consulate directly to find out your specific country requirements for a Student Residence Permit/ Visa. Usually, non-U.S. citizens must submit their green card to the Swedish consulate along with the rest of the Student Residence Permit application and documents. The Residence Permit may take longer to process than it does for U.S. citizens, and you may have to go to the Swedish Embassy in Washington, D.C. to have biometric fingerprints and photos made.
European Union Citizens: Are not required to have a Residence Permit but must register with local Swedish authorities upon arrival in Sweden. This is done on the Migration Board website. The Study Center will assist you with this.
Dual Citizens of Sweden and U.S.: Are encouraged to use your Swedish passport. Swedish citizens are not required to get a Residence Permit and many things are easier in Lund (e.g., opening bank accounts, starting phone accounts, obtaining library cards).
Summer Language and Culture Program
If you are a U.S. citizen participating in the summer language and culture program, you are not required to obtain a Residence Permit; however, if you are interested in extending to the fall or year program, you must apply for a Student Residence Permit prior to departure from the U.S. Applying for a Residence Permit once in Sweden is extremely complicated and not guaranteed.
Residence Permit Expiration Information and Travel Restrictions
If you are participating in the fall or year program, you cannot enter Sweden without approval for a Residence Permit. When the Student Residence Permit expires, you must leave Sweden and the Schengen agreement area.
If you plan to travel after your studies in Sweden, you may want to ask for a later end date when you apply for your original Residence Permit. You can ask for 31 additional days after the end date of your program, as this is how long you will be covered by UCEAP insurance. If you do not receive the additional days, you need to apply for an extension to your Schengen visa while in Sweden. If you plan to stay longer in Sweden, you can apply for a tourist extension at the Migration Board office in Sweden.

Embassy of Sweden

See the Embassy of Sweden in Washington D.C. website for further information. You can e-mail them at the address below with specific questions. The consulate is also open to calls and can answer questions Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. ET (8-9 a.m. Pacific Time).
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007
Phone: (202) 467-2600
Packing Tips
When traveling, always carry your passport, Residence Permit Card or Approval Letter, ticket, prescription medications, UCEAP Participation Letter, Lund University Acceptance Letter, and money. Never put valuables in your checked luggage.
Identify each item of luggage on the inside and outside with your name, home address, and destination. To avoid theft, never leave luggage unattended.
Although it is advisable to take an extra credit card for emergencies, avoid taking too many. Carry only what is necessary.
Only bring what you can carry by yourself. Airlines have weight restrictions, which vary from airline to airline. Most charge exorbitant fees for excess weight.


  • Prescription medication (for more information, see the Staying Healthy section in this guide)
  • Lightweight rain jacket
  • Umbrella
  • Comfortable walking shoes (for cobblestone pavement)
  • Sturdy, waterproof boots
  • Scarves, hats, and gloves (or mittens)
  • Warm coat for the winter
  • Clothing that can be layered


  • Electricity converter and plug adapter (see Electrical Appliances below for details)
  • Thermal underwear
  • Wool socks
  • Raincoat with a hood (often too windy for umbrellas)
  • One nice outfit for formal occasions (Swedes like to dress up!)
  • Any sports attire you may need
  • Small backpack for excursions
Books, even paperbacks, are expensive in Sweden, but can be purchased online for less. One good resource is It is also common for students to buy used books and course literature for a much lower rate than new. Foreign newspapers and magazines are generally available in Pressbyrån stores and kiosks or at a tobacconist’s and at the City Library.
Students often lament taking too many things abroad with them—a problem that is compounded when they acquire even more during their stay and encounter problems bringing all of their possessions back home. The Study Center advises you to pack sensibly. You can find most everything you need abroad.


Swedish students place high regard on their appearance. While the casual attire typically worn at UC is acceptable in Lund, student life often provides opportunities for formal dinners and dancing. Generally, clothing is more expensive in Sweden than in California, but winter items are likely to be of better quality, and Lund has some good secondhand clothing stores.
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for the purchase of clothing abroad.

Electrical Appliances

If possible, take battery-powered electronic devices (or buy them once abroad) rather than trust an adapter. They are relatively inexpensive to buy in Sweden. Sweden uses 220-volt current that requires a converter for electrical products commonly used in America. If you need one, bring a converter from home, as they are almost impossible to find abroad. Past students have reportedly destroyed expensive electric equipment even with adapters. Improper use of appliances may damage electrical outlets and the appliances themselves.
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad


Neither Sweden nor Denmark use the euro, though they are both members of the European Union. Their national currencies remain in use, and they continue to be different in value from each other. Be sure to note the difference between the Swedish krona (SEK) and the Danish krone (DKK).
When writing numbers, commas and periods are reversed in Europe. For example, 1,00 is what Europeans would consider 1.00 and 1.000 is what Americans would consider 1,000.
You should take at least $150 and approximately SEK 1.500 in cash to Sweden for travel and arrival expenses. Once in Sweden, you can exchange money at FOREX, which is just across from the train station in Lund and is conveniently located in all major cities in Sweden as well as in the train station in Copenhagen, Denmark.
You can exchange money at banks, foreign exchange offices, and airports. A passport is usually required when exchanging money. Avoid exchanging money at hotels and tourist shops, as the rates are less favorable.


Checks are not used in Sweden. You can pay your bills at a Swedish bank or through the online banking function provided by a Swedish bank. To be able to do the latter you need to establish a Swedish bank account.
If requested, the Lund Study Center will help you to establish a bank account after arrival in Sweden. You can then be issued an ATM  (Bankomat) card to access the account. The card can be used throughout Sweden. There is a small charge to set up an account, but no charge to make withdrawals and the account bears slight interest.
You can order International Bank Transfers from your home account for deposit into the Swedish account for a fee.
Swedish banks are open Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Some offices have additional open hours. Banks are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.


UCEAP students have been able to rely on ATM cards from their U.S. banks for handling money matters abroad. However, you are strongly advised to consult with your specific U.S. bank as to whether its ATM cards are valid in Scandinavia.
Your personal identification number (PIN) must have four digits. There will be limits on cash withdrawals per transaction, and there may be fees for each transaction. Inform your bank that you will be using your ATM card while abroad, and ask them about their international fees.

Credit Cards

MasterCard, Visa, Diner’s Club, and American Express are widely accepted in hotels, restaurants, and shops in Sweden and throughout Europe. Most credit card companies offer cash advances. Be sure to check on fees and interest rates before using this option; the rates are generally quite high. Be sure to inform your credit card company that you will be using your credit card abroad so they do not freeze your account.
Communications Abroad
Internet Access


The Study Center will correspond with you through your UC e-mail account. You may want to open a web-based e-mail account such as those provided by Gmail or another service provider, but remember to always check your e-mail account that you have entered in MyEAP.

Computer & Internet Access

You are encouraged to bring your own laptop, if possible (as most classes will have paper assignments)—but check first to see if your computer is compatible with European 220V electric current. UCEAP insurance provides a personal property benefit, which includes coverage for laptop theft; however, it is your responsibility to review the details of this coverage to make sure it is enough to cover your laptop. Information is available in the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure. You may determine that you need additional insurance to cover your laptop.
There is Internet access in the dorms, and you can purchase Internet service for an extra fee of approximately U.S. $10 to $35 per month, depending on bandwidth and the company you choose as your Internet provider. Information on how to open an account will be available upon arrival in Lund. A network card and cable are needed.
Wireless Internet access can be found in various hot spots around Lund, including the Café Aten in the Student Union (AF) building. There are computers at Internet cafés and at the university and public libraries.
Most academic departments have computer centers, but these are not normally available until the fall term begins. Computers in the academic department’s computer centers are Windows-based PCs.
During the summer language and culture program, you can use computers at the Folkuniversitetet (where the language courses are given) to send or receive e-mail.  
It is best to have a cell phone while abroad. You can use your own unlocked cell phone, purchase a prepaid Swedish SIM card/phone, or open an account with one of the telephone companies in Sweden. Some stores (Phone House, Elgiganten, etc.) offer phones through most of the common carriers (Telia, Tele2, Telenor).
Due to the increased use of cell phones, there are very few public telephones left in Lund, and these are usually found at train and bus stations. Plastic cards, available at tobacco shops, news shops and grocery stores can be used to operate the few remaining public phones.
Currently, the most popular means of communication is through the Internet, and one of the primary carriers is Skype. Skype options include computer-­to-computer calls (free) and computer-to-phone calls (minimal cost). Google Voice is another option for Internet calls with competitive rates. You are advised to buy a headset in the U.S., where electronics generally cost less.
Mail & Shipments
Do not have packages or luggage sent to the UCEAP Study Center.
During the summer language and culture program, you can receive letters in care of the Study Center mailing address:
[Student Name]
c/o University of California Study Center at Lund University
P.O. Box 117
22100 Lund, Sweden
Due to the short-term nature of the summer program, do not plan to receive packages from home while you are abroad.
During the fall, spring, or year, have your mail sent to your dormitory address.
The Study Center cannot receive packages at any time. Packages must be sent to your individual dorm address, which will not be known until after your arrival in Lund. Post offices in Sweden are often found in supermarkets. There are also larger postal stations for picking up oversized/heavy shipments. You can pick up packages at these locations, which are usually open every day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.


Pack lightly and avoid shipping additional items to Sweden. However, if you do ship anything, packages should be sent to Sweden by regular mail after you have arrived in Lund. Do not declare a high value; additionally, you should write “Used Goods, for use while studying abroad” on the package. It might help with customs charges, but there are no guarantees.
Be aware that many shipping quotes do not include charges for customs, handling, and forwarding when the shipment arrives in Sweden.
Housing & Meals

How to Secure Your Housing

You must apply for housing online. You will be notified via email when the Online Housing Application is available. Specific instructions regarding the application are included in your online Predeparture Checklist (PDC). 
Make sure to list your housing preferences on the Online Housing Application. The Lund University LU Accomodation (LUACC) has a limited number of rooms assigned for international students. As a UCEAP student you are guaranteed housing, but if you delay your housing application by not following instructions regarding the Online Housing Application, you will lose your housing.
Carefully read all information on housing options on Lund University’s LU Accommodation website. You are to rank three preferences. Note that “International corridor” means exchange students only. Previous UCEAP students have lived in Delphi, Sparta, Vildanden, Ulrikedal and Parantesen dorms and have been happy with these accommodations.
Following the application deadline, you will receive by e-mail either a confirmation for a room reservation with instructions for the advance payment or a statement that your name has been placed on a waiting list and that LUACC will contact you as soon as a vacancy is available.
Check your e-mail often so as not to miss the instructions and payment deadline to hold your room reservation.
You will learn your address a few weeks prior to the Official Start Date of your program by checking the LUACC website.  


The dormitory rooms are located in modern student housing complexes that are mostly owned and operated by the Student Association. UCEAP students are assigned to single rooms situated on a corridor of 10 to 12 rooms, where you will live among Swedish and other international students. Each room has its own bed, dresser, desk and chair, bookshelf, lighting fixture, and armchair. Most rooms have their own toilet, shower, and sink.
You need to obtain your own bedding (sheets, pillowcases, pillow and blanket), towels and shower curtain. Rather than shipping or bringing supplies from home, plan to purchase everything abroad. There are discount stores in Lund that carry these supplies at a relatively inexpensive cost. You may be able to buy some of these items from the LU Accommodation (LUACC).
Rent includes electricity and heat, and use of kitchen and laundry facilities.
The hallway connecting student rooms is called a corridor (korridor in Swedish). You will share a kitchen area and living room with the other students on your corridor. The kitchen is equipped with standard cooking facilities, including a microwave oven, toaster, pots and pans, and a TV. They normally have a good supply of kitchen utensils for preparing basic meals. Supermarkets are located close to all student housing areas.
Cleaning and upkeep of your room is your responsibility. Cleaning and upkeep of the common areas in the corridor, such as the kitchen and living room, is shared between the tenants.
Your room will be inspected after your departure and if it is not found in good order, or if there are damages, you will be charged for the cleaning and/or repair.
The student dorms are approximately a 15-20 minute walk from most university classes and from the center of Lund. You can walk, cycle, or take buses. Most students acquire bikes, which cost between SEK400 and 1.500. UCEAP recommends that you purchase a good lock for your bike. Efficient and relatively inexpensive bus service runs to all areas of the city. You can get an unlimited-use monthly Lund bus ticket for approximately SEK400. Prices vary depending on the type of ticket.
Students living in the university dormitories at Lund may have guests, both day and overnight, for one to two days at a time.  

Housing Costs

Refer to the UCEAP Student Budget for housing cost estimates. You will also receive the accommodation cost and payment deadline information from the LUACC in their reservation confirmation e-mail. Rental costs will vary. The variations do not necessarily relate to size or standard.
Often there is a “corridor fee” of about SEK 100–250 per semester for purchasing common cleaning supplies, etc.
Students living on the corridor may agree to share the costs of the supplies, TV, or other items. You will be expected to share in the expense even if you do not use the items.  

Housing Payments  

All students must make the housing payments as instructed by Lund Univerity's LU Accommodation (LUACC).
If you are on financial aid, you still have to pay your housing costs to Lund University by the housing payment deadline, even if you have not received your financial aid disbursement by that time. Plan ahead for this!
You are responsible for making room and board payments directly to Lund University. After you electronically submit your housing application, you must continue to monitor Lund University’s LUACC website for confirmation that a room has been reserved for you. This website will also give you the first housing payment deadline. In order to keep this reservation, you must pay for the room by the housing payment deadline indicated. It is your responsibility to make sure that the payment is made on time. You will not be sent reminders. You must make at least one payment in advance.
Financial Aid Students: Financial aid recipients must also pay the housing fee out-of pocket at this time. It will be prior to your financial aid disbursement, so plan ahead!
If you will be studying in the summer only, you will make one single housing payment, usually due in mid-May. If you are attending the fall or year program, you typically must make your first rental payment in mid-May as well, and then you will be billed monthly for the rest of the semester. You are guaranteed housing as long as you apply and submit your payment on time.
Housing Rental Period  
When applying for housing, you must indicate the rental period on the application form.
Summer L&C​ June 18--August 2, 2013​
Summer L&C + Fall Semester* June 18--December 31, 2013​
Summer L&C + Year*​ June 18, 2013--June 9, 2014​
Fall Semester August 1--December 31, 2013​
Year ​​ August 1, 2013--June 9, 2014​
Spring Semester​ January 9--June 9, 2014​
*Students on the Summer L&C + Fall/Year programs will be able to stay in their room during the break in August.  
Meals are not included in the rent. You will prepare your own meals in the common corridor kitchen—see Accommodations above for a description of kitchen supplies. There are well-stocked markets close to all student housing areas.
You may also eat at the many cafeterias and restaurants in various parts of Lund where the price of a midday meal is about SEK80. Restaurant prices are generally two to three times this amount in the evenings. Expect your monthly food budget to be higher than what you are used to spending in the U.S. as grocery costs in Sweden are high—about one and a half times higher than in the U.S. Refer to the UCEAP Student Budget for estimated costs for food and meals.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Swedish public transportation, including bus, train, and airplane service, is quite good throughout the country. Transportation within Lund is fairly inexpensive. You can obtain a monthly bus pass, which offers unlimited travel for about SEK400 (summer students can obtain a summer bus pass for around SEK500 that offers travel throughout the southern region). The classrooms are within 20 minutes walking distance from the dorms.
Rail passes must be purchased in the U.S. either before departure or by someone in the U.S. once you are abroad.
Lund is an ideal cycling environment with special bike paths and few hills. Most students buy used bikes shortly after arrival, or rent bikes for the summer. A bike costs between SEK400 and 1.500. If you wait too long, the market for used bikes can be exhausted, since they are in demand by Swedish students as well. Use a bike helmet and to get a good lock for your bike. Bikes can be parked only at designated stands and cannot be kept in the dorm corridors.  

Travel during the Program

Familiarize yourself with the UCEAP Student Travel Policy, which prohibits travel to places identified by the U.S. Department of State as ones to be avoided for safety reasons.
While travel opportunities may be tempting, do not allow your travels to interfere with coursework or needed study time. Opportunities for travel are plentiful and UCEAP does not wish to discourage you from taking advantage of them. However, it is expected that you will attend all class sessions and adhere to your program’s absentee policy at all times. As stipulated in the UCEAP Student Agreement, you must regularly attend all classes for which you are registered, and must conform to all applicable rules.
Failure to abide by the UCEAP travel guidelines or the Student Agreement is cause for dismissal from the program.


Most students travel to Stockholm during the year, either in a group or independently. UCEAP participants recommend visiting the Stockholm Town Hall, the 17th-century Vasa Ship Museum, the Skansen open-air museum, and the Royal Palace. The main shopping district in Stockholm is Hamngatan, with stores like NK, Åhlens, and PUB. Cellar restaurants are a feature of Gamla Stan, the Old Town area that dates to the 1200s and has vaulted brick ceilings and plenty of atmosphere. Zum Franziskaner is one of the oldest of the cellar restaurants and features traditional foods. The historical Kristina is noted for fine food as well.


Travel between Lund and Copenhagen takes about an hour by train. Copenhagen is one of the major cultural centers of Europe, and has a rich variety of classical and contemporary music, museums, cinemas, theater, and ballet. The famous Tivoli Gardens in the center of Copenhagen attracts visitors from all over the world to its concert hall, open-air performances, elaborate fireworks, and amusement park rides. Stroget and Kobmagergade are two walking streets with shops and restaurants of all kinds. Other notable attractions include Christiansborg Palace, which houses the Danish Parliament; the Round Tower, which gives a superb view of the city; and Amalienborg, the Queen’s palace where the changing of the guard takes place every day at noon. Two magnificent castles are within a half hour by train from Copenhagen: Fredricksborg (the Danish Versailles) and Kronborg (Hamlet’s castle).

Travel Resources

There are many excellent travel books about Sweden and surrounding areas. Past students have found the following guides to be particularly useful: Lonely Planet’s Shoestring Guide for Scandinavian and Baltic Europe; Frommer’s Scandinavia; The Rough Guide to Sweden; The Rough Guide to Stockholm; and Lonely Planet’s Guide to Sweden.
Extracurricular Activities

Get Involved

Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve language skills, and integrate more fully into the community.
As at any large university, social life varies, but tends to offer something for everyone. There are regularly scheduled dances and private parties for weekend recreation, and many opportunities exist. Join clubs, sports, special interest groups, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations, attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles, request a mentor, and get the most out of your time abroad.
The city of Lund is known as a major center for culture in Sweden. There are many cultural and social events open to students year-round. Participating in these events is a good way to meet other students at Lund University and to learn about Lund and Sweden. There are also You can learn about excursions within Sweden as well as organized trips to other European countries posted at the student union, Nations, and the international student offices. The Study Center also has information about these current events and cultural activities.
Lund has an outstanding concert program featuring international artists. There are also a number of excellent museums and a cultural center, Kulturen, which is justifiably famous for its activities. Malmö has its own symphony orchestra, a music center, and a fine-art gallery and museum. Copenhagen, which is less than one hour away by train, offers a rich variety of classical and popular music, theater, and ballet, as well as superb museums.  

Student Union

The university has a student organization, the Studentkår, which works to improve student life. It sets rules, gives out rooms, and decides rent costs. The student union building, called Akademiska Föreningen, is the social center for many Lund students.


Swedes in general are very sports-minded people. Lund has an extensive program of intramural sports at Gerdahallen (a large university gym with an amazing schedule of classes) and Viktoriastadion. Soccer, basketball, swimming, volleyball, squash, and cross-country running are popular. The Lund city pool is called Högevallsbadet. You are encouraged to join a team. If you plan to participate in sports, pack athletic clothes. There is a fee for participation in most sports. Although there is no downhill skiing in the immediate vicinity of Lund, great ski opportunities exist in middle and northern Sweden.

The Nations

Students at Lund University belong to a student organizational unit known as a Nation. There is no pressure to be actively involved with a Nation but it is a great way to meet Swedish and international students. There are 13 of these social groups, each representing a different area of Sweden (Helsingkrona Nation, Smålands Nation, Lunds Nation, etc.). In earlier times, each Nation was made up of students from that particular area of Sweden. Now, however, there is a mixture of international students and students from all parts of Sweden in each Nation. Throughout the term each Nation offers social events, courses, excursions, and entertainment. Activities are open to both members and nonmembers and are an excellent means for making social contacts and joining activities.
Nations also offer social services of various kinds. They have their own residence halls. Some UCEAP students have even found housing in dormitory space provided in Nation houses during the spring term. Most Nation houses have “pubs,” which are very popular. Nations present a number of opportunities, from working at their social events to writing for their newspapers and working with student TV and radio stations. You can visit the Nation offices for information about activities. Office hours may vary, but most open at noon, Monday through Friday.

Excursions and Events

The programs in Sweden offer opportunities to participate in a number of excursions offered through Lund University. Plan to take part in the various activities available in order to gain knowledge of Sweden and the region. The UC Study Center also coordinates some social events.
Students with Disabilities
Accessibility to public facilities and transportation in Sweden is good, particularly in newer buildings and the public transportation systems. The Swedish government continues to implement improvements throughout the city. The government actively implements and funds programs promoting disability access to streets, public buildings, stores, restaurants, and public transportation.
The UC Study Center is on the ground floor, accessible by a ramp and with electronically opening doors. Not all university offices are on the ground floor, although many buildings have ramps and elevators. There are also some classrooms and living quarters that are designed to be accessible.
Lund is relatively flat, and that is an advantage. On the other hand, the streets are almost 100 percent cobblestone, and this can create difficulty for students with mobility disabilities. Stores frequently have steps at their entrances, which makes access complicated. However, buses, trains, and train stations all have ramps, elevators, or even air-inflatable platforms for individuals in wheelchairs.
Given proper notice, UCEAP will help students with disabilities with note takers, mentors, sign language specialists, and other personal assistants. Contact your Operations Specialist immediately to request special accommodations and to make payment arrangements. A letter from your UC Campus DSO is required.
For additional information about support and assistance to students with disabilities, contact the Lund University Disabled Students’ Office at the following address:
Pedagogiska stödåtgärder, Student och utbildning
Lunds Universitet
Box 117
221 00 Lund
Phone: 046-22-20-000 (university switchboard)
Travel Sign-out Form
Working Abroad
Students with a residence permit are allowed to work in Sweden. Past students have worked in the service industry; restaurants, hotels and stores, and also as English language tutors. Students have also worked for The Nations, usually for free food/drinks and/or entrance to events (see The Nations section, next page). The Study Center does not assist students with finding employment.
Lund University offers an International Mentor Programme to help introduce newly-arrived international students to various student activities and everyday Swedish living. The mentor groups consist of three or four Swedish students and 15–20 international students. The Mentor Programme is a great way for you to make some new Swedish and international friends.
UCEAP Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
A high level of medical care comparable to that in other industrialized countries is available throughout the country. The majority of health care practitioners speak English.​
Physical Health
Community sanitation is good. Health concerns related to food and beverages are minimal. Cestode infection (fish tapeworm) presents a risk. Avoid undercooked fish and roe.
If you feel sick or have a medical emergency, seek medical attention immediately. Consult the Emergency Contact card given to you during orientation. There is a regional ER at the Lund University hospital and health clinics near the dorms.
The Study Center staff can help you make a doctor’s appointment, recommend a clinic to visit, and help you the UCEAP insurance claim process. If arrangements need to be made with your professors due to extended absence from class, the Study Center may also be able to assist.
The Swedish medical system is state-run, so instead of visiting a local private general practitioner, you can visit a local medical center or clinic, called an " Akutmottagning" or "Vardcentral." You should be prepared to present your passport.
To obtain reimbursement through the UCEAP insurance, submit a claim with itemized bills and receipts.  See detailed instructions in the UCEAP Insurance Claims Process.
Some medications that are commonly prescribed in the U.S. are controlled or illegal in Sweden (e.g., some ADHD medications that contain amphetamines). If you must carry more than a five-day supply of controlled drugs, you will require permission from Swedish authorities. The license will not be issued until permission has been granted and a minimum of 14 days’ notice is required.
You must always be able to prove that the medicinal products have been legally obtained and are intended for your own personal use. Except for narcotic medication, you bring medicinal products for personal use corresponding to a supply sufficient for three months. Special regulations apply for medicinal products classified as narcotics or doping substances (see below).
Medications categorized as narcotics may only be brought into the country to cover your personal use for a maximum of five days, three weeks, or three months, depending on the classifaction by the Medical Products Agency in Sweden, and must be accompanied by a note from your medical doctor stating why you need them.
  • Class II and Class III narcotics may only be brought into Sweden to cover your personal use for a maximum of five days.
  • Medications categorized Class IV and Class V narcotics may be brought into the country to cover your personal use for three weeks.To find out the classification of your medication contact the Medical Products Agency in Sweden.
Mailing Medication to Sweden
 It is prohibited to import medicinal products for personal use by mail. They will be confiscated by customs.
Before you leave the US
Make sure the medication is legal in Sweden. Call the University of California travel assistance provider, Europ Assistance, on the dedicated UC phone line at 1+(866) 451-7606 or e-mail
Syringes and needles
You may bring in syringes and needles (for personal use only) if you can certify that you need them by, for example, showing us a certificate from your doctor.
Patrik Moberg
Medical Products Agency
Box 26, S-751 03
Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: 46 18 54 85 66
Fax: 46 18 17 46 00
Mental Health
The UCEAP Insurance Plan covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Call the UCEAP travel assistance provider, Europ Assistance, 24/7 collect to ask for bilingual medical referrals. Contact information: call international collect 1+(202) 828-5896 or e-mail Identify yourself as a UCEAP student.
Student Health counselling is available to all students at Lund University. The clinic has counselors, nurses, a physician, psychiatrist and psychologists.
For counseling and for treatment, contact Studenthalsan, the university-run health clinic (office hours: 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.):
Paradisgatan 5B, Lund
Health Risks
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Sweden, a stable and peaceful society, has a low crime rate with few incidents of violent crime. Petty theft and pick-pocketing happens, particularly in crowded places and train stations. Take the same security precautions that you would in any major city.
Racial tensions have increased in recent years, often involving immigrants from outside Europe—groups that make up more than 10 percent of the population—and members of white supremacist groups. Violent clashes are uncommon and usually do not affect visitors.
Safeguard your belongings from damage or theft by locking your dorm room (doors and windows) and properly securing money, computer, jewelry, passports, and other possessions.
Take reasonable precautions: Avoid carrying valuables, wearing expensive clothing, or going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Be cautious about inviting casual acquaintances home.
Safety issues will be discussed further at your orientation in Lund.  
Civil Unrest
There are small, planned, and authorized demonstrations that take place in Sweden throughout the year. Swedish authorities monitor demonstrations on a regular basis.
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Swedish highways and secondary roads are of high quality.
Public transport is the recommended method of travel. Passenger trains, intercity buses, and airplanes provide regular service over longer distances. Public transportation in urban centers includes buses, subways, trams, suburban trains, and taxis. Taxis are more expensive than in major U.S. cities. Most local residents use public transport in Stockholm as parking can be hard to find and expensive. The bus, train, and subway systems are considered safe. Cyclists are common on many roads, especially in urban areas.
Cycling is a really good way to get around Lund. The market for used bicycles in Lund is pretty good. You will need to exercise caution and learn the traffic rules for cycling.  For more information, refer to Local Transportation in this guide.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
Fire safety in Sweden is a strong priority for local governments. Sweden developed highly educated “fire engineers” to form a cadre for risk management and resource planning in local fire brigades. Fire safety heavily promotes the use of home smoke alarms. UCEAP strongly encourages you to buy a portable battery-operated smoke alarm for use while traveling.
In An Emergency
If you are abroad
Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:
  • If you need immediate emergency assistance, call 112 for Police, Ambulance, or Fire Department
  • If necessary, call the U.S. embassy in Stockholm emergency number: 0 8 783 53 00
U.S. Embassy in Stockholm
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: (+46) 0 8 783 53 00
Fax: (+46) 0 8 661 19 64
Business hours: M-F 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
After-Hours Emergency Phone: (011-46) (0) 8 783 53 00 
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.