Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Lund, Sweden
Approx. Time Difference
Add 9 hours
Lund, Sweden

Language and Culture, Folkuniversitetet

- Summer

Lund University

- Fall
- Spring
- Summer + Fall
- Summer + Year
- Year

This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, health and safety, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.

While UCEAP endeavors to keep the information updated and accurate, all program information should be considered in conjunction with program-specific operational correspondence which may contain the most up to date information. There may be times where UCEAP will need to change this information and it will often be updated online. Student is responsible for reviewing all information shared through the program guides and by UCEAP staff in California and abroad, and partners abroad. UCEAP reserves the right to make changes to its programs, whenever, in our sole judgment local conditions so warrant, in response to local circumstances that could substantially change some parts of the program, or if we deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of our program participants.

Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

Local UCEAP Support

Campus EAP Office

The Campus EAP Office coordinates recruitment, student selection, orientations, and academic advising; and serves as your primary contact during the application process.

UCEAP Systemwide Office

The UCEAP Systemwide Office establishes and operates programs and coordinates UCEAP administration for all UC campuses from its headquarters in Goleta, California. You will work closely with the following Systemwide Office staff:
Program Advisors provide academic and operational program information to you and your campus as well as administrative support for all aspects of your participation.
Program Specialists manage the logistics of the program. They coordinate document requirements, visa application instructions, health and safety precautions, acceptance and placement by host institutions, arrival and onsite orientation, and housing arrangements.
Academic Staff advise on academic policies, review courses taken abroad for UC credit, and document your registration, grades, petitions and academic records.
Student Finance Accountants assist primarily with UCEAP statements, program fee collection, and financial aid disbursements (in conjunction with your campus Financial Aid Office).

Contact Information

Program Advisor
Emma Holmes
Phone: (805) 893-4255; E-mail:
Program Specialist
Katerina Georgieva
Phone: (805) 893-4255; E-mail:
Academic Specialist
Lauren Nestler
Phone: (805) 893-4683; E-mail:
Student Finance Accountant
Antonette Escarsega
Phone: (805) 893-4023; E-mail:
UCEAP Systemwide Office
6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Phone: (805) 893-4762; Fax: (805) 893-2583

UCEAP Online

Bookmark your Participants program page. This resource lists requirements and policies you need to know before you go abroad, including your Pre-Departure Checklist, UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Program Calendar, UCEAP Student Budgets, and payment instructions.
Connect with us! Join our Facebook network via the UCEAP page.

Study Center Abroad

The UCEAP Study Center provides a variety of student support services, including advising on Lund University academic matters, providing information on cultural activities, and clarifying health and safety guidelines.
University of California Study Center at Lund University
PO Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden
Phone (calling from the U.S.): (011-46) 46 222 38 85
Phone (calling from Sweden): 0 46 222 38 85

Phone Number Codes

U.S. international code .......011   (dial this to call from the U.S.
Sweden country code ..........46
Lund city code......................46
Stockholm city code ............. 8

Approximate Time Difference

Add 9 hours
Academic Information
Program Overview

Summer Language and Culture Program

The summer Language and Culture program is run by Folkuniversitetet. The curriculum includes field trips, guest lectures, and social activities to introduce you to Swedish culture and society, and to Sweden’s role in Scandinavia and Europe. You can take this program as a summer program or as an introduction to either the fall semester or academic year programs at Lund University. The summer language and culture program enriches your cultural experience and provides access to additional academic opportunities during the year. The program offers coursework from beginning to advanced levels of Swedish. You will enroll in two courses, valued at 5 quarter/3.3 semester UC units each, and earn 10 quarter/6.6 semester UC units for successful completion of the program. All courses must be taken for a letter grade. If you continue to the fall semester or year program you may take the summer language and culture courses for Pass/No Pass. 
Courses focus on Swedish language acquisition and cultural immersion. Swedish is used in the classroom from the start in order to develop competence in all aspects of the language, including reading, writing, grammar, and conversation. In addition to 100 hours of classroom work, the curriculum includes field trips, guest lectures, and social activities that introduce you to Swedish culture and society as well as to Sweden’s role in Scandinavia and Europe. Classes are held for three-and-a-half hours per day on weekdays with mandatory field trips in the afternoon on selected days.

Intensive Language Program (ILP)

All students in the semester or year-long programs who do not opt for the summer language and culture program must take the Intensive Language Program (ILP), which concentrates on developing Swedish communication skills. Most UCEAP students are at the beginning level, however intermediate and advanced levels are offered. The ILP can be taken for a letter grade or for Pass/No Pass.
Fall students will receive 4 quarter/2.7 semester UC units for the course and will be in class for approximately 3-4 hours per day, 4-5 days per week.
Spring students will receive 3 quarter/2 semester UC units for the course and will be in class for approximately 2-4 hours per day, 4-5 days per week.  

Fall, Spring, and Year Programs

If you begin with the summer language and culture program, you will have a short break in August, during which social activities and excursions are offered by Lund University.
The academic program at Lund University consists of regular university courses in a wide variety of disciplines. You are encouraged to enroll in at least two departmental courses at Lund University that focus on your UC major. If you have met the prerequisites, you may enroll in courses in other subjects as well. In addition, a number of courses that focus on history, political science, philosophy, culture, society, gender studies, the environment, and more are offered in English through the department of Special Area Studies. You are restricted to enrolling in no more than two Special Area Studies courses. These courses are designed for exchange students and have no prerequisites. You also have the option of continuing your Swedish language studies either at Lund University (at no charge) or at Folkuniversitetet (for a material/lab-fee of approximately SEK6.000 per module), combining these courses with your regular coursework at Lund University.
Academic Culture
Lund University is one of the country’s most respected universities and acceptance is competitive. Students are exceptionally motivated and instructors have high expectations. A notable difference from UC is that Swedish students fulfill their breadth requirements during their upper-secondary school; therefore coursework is focused within the major department. Generally, the BA degree is a three-year program.
The typical Lund University course differs from a typical UC course in that students are expected to supplement the course significantly outside the classroom (e.g., doing more than the minimum assigned reading). Swedish higher education values student self-reliance and maturity. Instructors expect you to have thought critically about the material to be presented in lectures and to be prepared to discuss it.
If you have sufficient language skills, you may take coursework in Swedish. Introductory coursework at Lund University is offered almost entirely in Swedish, but most UCEAP students take upper-division courses, many of which are in English. You may take exams and write papers in English.
Instructors at Lund are accessible and willing to interact with students. Consult thoroughly with your instructors about class requirements and clarify questions about course material. They will expect you to take the initiative. 

University Structure

Lund has a two-block per semester system. Courses may overlap the blocks and they can also be of various lengths. Schedules can also vary from week to week. Upon arrival, students accepted into some courses will be informed of the precise time and place of the course’s first (introductory) meeting. The schedule for the rest of the course will be announced at this first meeting. Since Lund students typically take only one or two intensive courses at a time, there is no practical reason for departments to publish schedules as early as it is done at UC. The actual lecture times and classroom location may not be finalized until this first meeting occurs. This may potentially result in scheduling conflicts, so plan on submitting alternative course requests.

Libraries and Textbooks

The vast Lund University library is housed in several different department locations. The university library catalog system (Lovisa) is accessible from computer terminals located in each library. The library also subscribes to newspapers and journals, accessed from the catalog called “ELIN@Lund.” Additionally, there are several city libraries that are available for your use.
The book lists provided on your syllabi usually will include two or three main textbooks and additional selected readings. The departments (institutions) often sell course readers that include assigned and recommended readings. Even for courses taught in Swedish, the texts and course materials are often available in English. Instructors sometimes distribute lecture notes. Copies of textbooks listed in course syllabi are available at the library for reference, although you may want to purchase your own books for the sake of convenience. Books, particularly those in English, are relatively expensive in Sweden.
Students in Lund do use the libraries as study spaces. There are also other student areas around campus with rooms that students can use for group projects or individual study. Some of these rooms and seats need to be booked in advance.
Course Information

Lund University Online Application for All Programs

You will receive specific instructions regarding your Online Application to Lund University on your UCEAP Pre- Departure Checklist before the Online Application opens. As part of your Online Application you will indicate your background and prior knowledge of the Swedish language to determine the appropriate level of instruction for you.
You can find information about courses on the Lund University Course Information for Exchange Students web page. This page provides links to the School/Faculty pages, each Faculty page contains links to course information.  Refer to your Online Pre-Departure checklist for more information on how to find courses. Note the course prerequisites as well as the semester in which the course is offered. You should use the UC term(s) prior to departure to prepare yourself for your courses in Sweden by taking relevant or prerequisite courses. Consult with your UC department to plan your academic program prior to departure.
Descriptions of courses previously taken by UCEAP students at Lund are available in the MyEAP Course Catalog. Note that not all courses are listed in the MyEAP catalog and that courses are subject to change. If, after surveying online resources and talking to Campus EAP Office staff, you still have academic questions, direct them to the UCEAP Systemwide Office.
Advanced courses in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and many other natural sciences are offered with instruction in English, and acceptance into particular courses is competitive. To qualify, you must have completed the specific prerequisites at UC prior to departure, including a considerable amount of laboratory work. It is possible to take coursework in undergraduate research in connection to biology and chemistry courses, which past UCEAP students have found to be a unique academic experience.
As a UCEAP student you can take courses at the Master level provided that you have the appropriate background and meet the prerequisites. In general, graduate-level courses should be taken only within your major. These courses will transfer back to UC as upper-division undergraduate credit. Remember that this is advanced level coursework that will be challenging.  It is often the case that the European students will have more background than a US undergraduate — something you should carefully consider when enrolling and thinking about your potential performance (including future grade) in masters level classes. Be sure to carefully review the prerequisites and strongly consider whether your previous coursework has prepared you for the material covered in this course.

Registering for Courses

As part of your Lund Online Application you will be indicating which courses you wish to take while in Sweden. You will be finalizing your course selection upon arrival. You need to include all the courses you are interested in on the Online Application—you will not be able to “shop around” at the beginning of the term to the same extent you may be accustomed to at UC. Pay careful attention to the schedule of classes, the language of instruction, the number of credits, and the prerequisites. Additional courses are usually announced closer to the start of the semester and you are able to sign up for these upon your arrival at Lund.
The UCEAP Study Center will consult and collaborate with the Lund University departments regarding your course selection (not applicable to summer L&C participants). The respective departments and UC Study Center may advise alternative coursework. Give careful consideration to your course requests and consult with your UC departmental advisor regarding your proposed study plan, taking major requirements into consideration. You should also stay in contact with your department advisors while you are abroad in the event that there are changes to your academic program or questions arise regarding the transfer of courses to your major or general education requirements. If you are interested in registering for a course listed at the moderately advanced level, you should have previously taken about 16 upper-division UC quarter units in that area.
After you arrive in Sweden, Study Center staff and advisors from academic departments will provide you with the help you need to prepare a final Study List. During registration and before classes start, contact the UC Study Center with questions pertaining to course registration, prerequisites, and course availability.


You are required to take a full-time course of study while on UCEAP. The normal unit load is 18-24 quarter/12-16 semester UC units per semester.  This is in addition to the units taken during the ILP or the summer language and culture program.
Units for each course differ and are based on the European system of ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). The ECTS credit for a course depends on the content and total workload of a course. The most common unit values are:
5 ECTS = 4 quarter/2.7 semester UC units
7.5 ECTS = 6 quarter/4 semester UC units
10 ECTS = 8 quarter/5.3 semester UC units
15 ECTS = 12 quarter/8 semester UC units
The typical course load is three to four courses during the semester.

Pass/No Pass

If you are enrolled in 2-3 courses you can take 1 course for P/NP.
If you are enrolled in 4-5 courses you can take 2 courses for P/NP.

Early-Exit Exams

The second half (or "Period 2") of the fall semester runs through January, therefore you may be required to make special arrangements to take early-exit exams in order to return to the US at the end of December. Some instructors and departments are very accommodating and they are willing to arrange an early exam for UC students. However, you must speak with your period 2 instructors at the beginning of the term to confirm that they will be able to give you an early-exit exam. If they cannot make special arrangements for you, contact the study center immediately to get assistance with finding a suitable alternate course. It is against UCEAP policy to have final exams proctored back in the US. UCEAP and your home UC campus are not responsible for setting up proctored exams for you so you need to make sure your final exam arrangements are completed well in advance.

Students attending the full fall semester have until the second or third week of January to study for their final exams. If you are doing an early-exit exam in December, you will have a shorter period of time to study for your finals. Keep this in mind when registering for your period 2 courses because the shortened exam period will not be a valid reason for requesting to drop. You must be prepared to study for your exam in the shortened timeframe allowed by early-exit exams.


There are many opportunities at Lund University to participate in research and/or lab work organized through the departments at Lund University, particularly in the fields of Biological Sciences and Engineering. If you are interested in doing research in a particular field, you should contact the faculty after your arrival in Lund to see what opportunities are available.  
There is typically a comprehensive final exam at the end of each academic course that tests your ability to present and analyze the class material studied in the lecture and in the reading. There is generally plenty of allotted time to answer a few essay questions. Grading in the course is normally based on the results of the final exam and on the required group study, research, and papers. Grading is based on both knowledge and presentation of course material.
The Swedish grade is converted to the UC grade by the UC Study Center. All requests to be graded on a P/NP basis must be noted on the UCEAP Study List and all changes to your Study List must be petitioned through the Study Center. You will be informed of the deadline to submit academic petitions at your orientation. You need to be aware of these deadlines as late petitions will not be accepted. No more than one-third of the UC quarter units in any term may be taken Pass/No Pass. 
Grades for the fall semester are typically available by mid-March and grades for the spring semester are typically available by mid-August.
For general information about grades, see the Academic Information chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.


Retaking Exams 

Lund University allows students to re-sit an exam; however this is not an option for most UCEAP students as you will not be onsite when the re-sit takes place.  Do not plan on taking any re-sits for your courses. Additionally you cannot submit a petition to drop a course based on the fact that you will not be on-site for the re-sit. The initial exam is your final exam. UCEAP students are only allowed to re-sit exams if the re-sit occurs before the student returns to his/her home campus. This is typically only possible for students who are on the yearlong program.

You may retake an exam only after you have consulted with the course coordinator, the Study Center Coordinator, and a Contract for “I” (Incomplete) Grade has been completed and approved, signed, and submitted to the Systemwide Office. You are not permitted to make special arrangements directly with your instructor without completing a Contract for “I” Grade approved by the Study Center Coordinator.

​You can look for an internship through Lund’s Arbetslivscenter (Career Center). Some internship opportunities may be available in English. UCEAP Study Center staff is available for advice on internships after your arrival in Sweden.
Volunteer opportunities are typically available at Swedish schools (grade schools through high school), hospitals, and various non-profit organizations. These are not formal programs; you must personally make the contact with the local organizations to set it up. Students can also volunteer at the Student Nations and Student Unions. 
Extending UCEAP Participation

Plan Ahead

If you are considering extending your UCEAP participation, we strongly recommend that you submit a Departmental and College Preliminary Approval to Extend (DPA) form prior to departure. This will facilitate the extension process. It is best to have a pre-approved DPA, but it is possible to submit a Petition to Extend as well. See the Study Center for details.
The UCEAP Systemwide Office and the Study Center must approve your extension request. Approval is based on a number of factors including academic performance, the support of your UC campus department, and available space at Lund University. To initiate the extension process once abroad, make an appointment with the Study Center.
Once your extension has been approved, UCEAP will notify your UC campus registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Campus EAP Office. For information about the steps you need to take in regards to finances, see the Extension of Participation chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad.  

Extension Opportunities

The following extension options are available:
·         Lund Univ. fall semester to academic year
·         Lund Univ. academic year to Language & Culture summer term
·         Lund Univ. academic year to fall semester
·         Lund Univ. spring semester to Language & Culture summer term
·         Lund Univ. spring semester to fall semester
November 1 is the UCEAP deadline for extension from the fall semester to the academic year. The deadline for extending may be earlier with Lund University. Contact the Study Center as early as possible for deadlines and requirements. 

Summer Language & Culture

It is not possible to extend your participation once already abroad. If you are interested in participating in a fall or year program immediately after the summer program, contact your Campus EAP Office to inquire about switching your application to the Lund Univ. Summer L&C + fall or Summer L&C + year program. 
Note that the GPA requirement for the summer L&C + fall/year programs is higher than the GPA requirement for the summer-only program. You must meet the higher GPA requirement to be considered for switching your application. 
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Get acquainted with your new host city, country, and culture before you leave the U.S. The Swedish Institute provides considerable information about Sweden. Consult their website to find fact sheets and books about Sweden and Scandinavia. Travel guides and travel-related websites, such as Lonely Planet, are also quality resources.
Keep up with current events by reading articles in newspapers, magazines, and journals. Past UCEAP participants recommend reading an international newspaper right away. International politics and events are often topics of discussion in Sweden.  

Useful News Sites

Radio Broadcasting

Radio Sweden, the official international broadcasting station of Sweden, offers multicultural and multilingual programming that covers a smörgåsbord of the news and current events of not only Sweden, but also Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and Norway. It broadcasts every day in English, German, French, Russian, Spanish, Estonian, Latvian, and Swedish. A broadcast schedule is available on the Radio Sweden website.  
Improve Your Language Skills
English is widely spoken in Sweden, but Sweden is not an English-speaking country. Not everyone has a good command of English. To truly understand the culture, you must have a degree of familiarity with Swedish language and customs. UCEAP is an academic program; students should be committed to learning the local language, history, and culture.
Before going abroad, watch some Swedish films with English subtitles. This will help you acclimate to the sound of the Swedish language. Some good films are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and Let the Right One In. You may also wish to watch the Welcome to Sweden NBC TV series to get acquainted with Sweden.
The environment in Lund is conducive to learning and using Swedish. Lund is a university town and students socialize easily with their Swedish peers. Most Swedish university students speak excellent English. Although some international students find it easier to communicate in English rather than in Swedish, you are urged to resist this temptation and to use as much Swedish as possible. Swedes generally do not expect immediate fluency, and they respect and encourage the efforts of others to learn their language. 
Social Customs

Social Customs

Swedes typically greet each other by saying “Hej,” and shaking hands. Good friends often hug each other. People expect you to present yourself by your first name when you make phone calls and when you are in a new group of people.
When you are invited to dine in someone’s home, bring flowers or a small gift and take off your shoes when you enter their home. During dinner, praise the food and remember to thank the host before leaving. Next time you meet, remember to thank them again for having you over.  

Interactions While Abroad

You will find yourself in the unofficial position of ambassador for the University of California and for the U.S. You will be routinely asked what it is like in California, to explain why Americans are the way they are, and to air your views of such things as U.S. foreign policy. Past students recommend that you take the time to familiarize yourself with facts about California, your home town, and the U.S. in general. It is also useful to read a newspaper regularly, such as the International Herald Tribune.  

Alcohol, Smoking, and Drugs

Smoking is prohibited in restaurants and in some other public places. Drugs are absolutely forbidden in Sweden. Use or handling of any amount, no matter how small, can lead to imprisonment. The U.S. Embassy and UCEAP will not be able to help if you are arrested.
You will find that alcoholic beverages are served or sold at student parties. Nonalcoholic beverages are always available and it is quite acceptable to refrain from drinking alcohol. Drinking-and-driving laws in Sweden are extremely strict, and breaking these laws can lead to harsh punishment, even if no accident has occurred.  
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

You are required to attend a mandatory UCEAP orientation in Sweden and to arrive by the Official UCEAP Start Date of your program. You are subject to dismissal from UCEAP if you do not attend the orientation (per the UCEAP Student Agreement, Section 10).
The orientation is mandatory for all students and includes academic briefings and details on how to take care of practical matters such as banking in Sweden, public transportation, housing, and health care.
Detailed information regarding the arrival meeting point and orientation will be sent via e-mail prior to your arrival. 
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.

Airline Tickets

The Sweden programs begin in Lund on the Official Start Date, and you must be in Lund on this date. Failure to appear on the Official Start Date is cause for dismissal from the program (see Student Agreement). Check the start date and time before you purchase a ticket. The program dates are noted in the program calendar, which is located on the Calendar tab on your Participants page and in the Arrival Information Sheet in the Pre-Departure Checklist.  

You are responsible for reserving and purchasing your ticket (even if you are on full financial aid).

UCEAP strongly recommends purchasing changeable round trip tickets, which will allow you to make changes to your return flight for a fee. UCEAP discourages purchasing one way tickets, as your Program Budget is based on a changeable round trip student fare, which is generally less expensive. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight. Standby and courier fares are not appropriate. Plan for this expense. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve or pay for your ticket. If you are on financial aid, you will need to purchase a plane ticket before you receive a financial aid disbursement.
Most airline tickets are good for one year only. When buying round-trip tickets, purchase tickets that allow changes to the return date. If you do not make round-trip arrangements, be sure to book a return flight with plenty of lead time once abroad. Flights to the U.S. fill up fast and economy-fare seats are booked early.
Flights are routinely changed or even canceled. Be sure to confirm your flight schedule in the days prior to your scheduled departure. Your UCEAP insurance includes coverage for certain travel-related contingencies, such as delayed flights or lost baggage. Review the UCEAP Travel Insurance policy brochure thoroughly for details.
If the start date of your program is changed due to unforeseen circumstances, you are responsible for making modifications in your travel itinerary to accommodate such changes. UCEAP is not responsible for any transportation charges incurred for independent travel arrangements. In order to be kept informed of any program changes, notify UCEAP of any changes in your address, phone number, or e-mail address by updating MyEAP. Your program requires that you submit a Flight Itinerary Form (see your Pre-Departure Checklist).

Note that UCEAP strongly discourages couch surfing when traveling. This is defined as using an Internet social network to organize free places to stay.    

Financial Aid Students

Your financial aid package is calculated using your specific UCEAP Program Budget. The estimated round-trip airfare amount is based on the cost of a changeable student ticket to your host country. If your independent travel costs are greater than the airfare estimate in the UCEAP Program Budget, notify your financial aid counselors. Neither UCEAP nor the Financial Aid Office can guarantee that the additional cost will be funded by financial aid.
Travel Documents

Student Residence Permit

All non-summer-only students will receive specific instructions in the UCEAP online Pre-Departure Checklist regarding applying for a Swedish Residence Permit.
To apply for the residence permit, you must possess a passport that will remain valid for at least three months beyond the end of the program. If you are thinking about extending, be sure that your passport is valid for at least three months beyond the end of the program to which you plan to extend.
U.S. Citizens: You must complete the residence permit application form and mail it, along with other required documents, to the Swedish Embassy in Washington DC to be approved for a Residence Permit Card. The processing takes approximately eight to ten weeks. You will not receive the actual Residence Permit Card until after you are in Sweden, after having biometric fingerprints and photos made.
Non-U.S./Non-E.U. Citizens: Contact the Swedish Embassy directly to find out your specific country requirements for a student residence permit and/or visa. Usually, non-U.S. citizens must submit their green card to the Swedish Embassy along with the rest of the student residence permit application and documents. The residence permit may take longer to process than it does for U.S. citizens, and you may have to go to the Swedish Embassy in Washington, D.C. to have biometric fingerprints and photos made prior to your program start date.
EU Citizens: You are not required to obtain a residence permit, but you must register with local Swedish authorities upon arrival in Sweden. This is done on the Migration Board website. The Study Center will assist you with this.
Dual Citizens of Sweden and U.S.: You are encouraged to use your Swedish passport. Swedish citizens are not required to obtain a residence permit and many things are easier in Lund (e.g., opening bank accounts, starting phone accounts, obtaining library cards).
Summer Language and Culture Program
If you are a U.S. citizen participating in just the summer language and culture program, you are not required to obtain a residence permit. However, you would also not be able to extend your participation to the fall or year program, as you are not able to apply for a residence permit after you have arrived in Sweden. If you are interested in extending to the fall or year program, you must contact your campus advisor to switch your application to the appropriate program, and you will need to apply for a student residence permit prior to departure from the U.S. (See the Extending UCEAP Participation section above for details.)
Residence Permit Expiration Information and Travel Restrictions
If you are participating in a semester or year program, you cannot enter Sweden without approval for a residence permit. When the student residence permit expires, you must leave Sweden and the Schengen agreement area.
If you plan to travel after your studies in Sweden, you may want to ask for a later end date when you apply for your original residence permit. You can ask for 31 additional days after the end date of your program, as this is how long you will be covered by UCEAP insurance. If you do not receive the additional days, you need to apply for an extension to your Schengen visa while in Sweden. If you plan to stay in Sweden longer, you can apply for a tourist extension at a Migration Board Office in Sweden.

Embassy of Sweden

See the Embassy of Sweden in Washington D.C. website for further information. You can e-mail them at the address below with specific questions. The consulate is also open to calls and can answer questions Mondays and Thursdays between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. ET (8-9 a.m. Pacific Time).
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007
Phone: (202) 467-2600

Undocumented Students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Consult with an immigration attorney free of charge on your campus to determine if study abroad is right for you.

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Berkeley, contact the Undocumented Student Program

If you are currently enrolled as a student at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz, contact the UC Undocumented Legal Services Center at
Packing Tips
The UCEAP Program Budget does not include funds to purchase clothing abroad.
When traveling, always carry your passport, Residence Permit Card or Approval Letter, ticket, prescription medications, money, UCEAP Participation Letter, Folkuniversitetet Acceptance Letter and/or Lund University Acceptance Letter with you. Never put valuables in your checked luggage.
Identify each item of luggage on the inside and outside with your name, home address, and destination. To avoid theft, never leave luggage unattended.
Consider purchasing a TSA-approved lock for your checked luggage. You can find information about these on the Transportation Security Administration website at 
Only bring what you can carry by yourself. Airlines have weight restrictions, which vary from airline to airline. Most charge exorbitant fees for excess weight.


  • Prescription medication (for more information, see the Staying Healthy section in this guide)
  • Lightweight rain jacket
  • Umbrella
  • Comfortable walking shoes (for cobblestone pavement)
  • Sturdy, waterproof boots
  • Scarves, hats, and gloves (or mittens)
  • Warm coat for the winter
  • Clothing that can be layered


  • Electricity converter and plug adapter (see Electrical Appliances below for details)
  • Thermal underwear
  • Wool socks
  • Raincoat with a hood (often too windy for umbrellas)
  • One nice outfit for formal occasions (Swedes like to dress up!)
  • Any sports attire you may need
  • Small backpack for excursions
Books, even paperbacks, are expensive in Sweden, but can be purchased online for less. One good resource is It is also common for students to buy used books and course literature for a much lower rate than new. Foreign newspapers and magazines are generally available in Pressbyrån stores and kiosks or at a tobacconist’s and at the City Library.
Students often lament taking too many things abroad with them—a problem that is compounded when they acquire even more during their stay and encounter problems bringing all of their possessions back home. The Study Center advises you to pack sensibly. You can find most everything you need abroad.


Swedish students place high regard on their appearance. While the casual attire typically worn at UC is acceptable in Lund, student life often provides opportunities for formal dinners and dancing. Generally, clothing is more expensive in Sweden than in California, but winter items are likely to be of better quality, and Lund has some good secondhand clothing stores.  

Electrical Appliances

If possible, take battery-powered electronic devices (or buy them once abroad) rather than trust an adapter. They are relatively inexpensive to buy in Sweden. Sweden uses 220-volt current that requires a converter for electrical products commonly used in America. If you need one, bring a converter from home, as they are almost impossible to find abroad. Past students have reportedly destroyed expensive electric equipment even with adapters. Improper use of appliances may damage electrical outlets and the appliances themselves.  
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Consider having additional protection for your property. In spite of your best efforts, it is still possible to experience loss, theft, or accidents that will damage your belongings while traveling. Talk to your parents and analyze their family homeowners’ insurance to determine whether the items brought or bought while abroad are covered by their policy.
UCEAP Travel Insurance policy offers limited personal property coverage.  UCEAP strongly recommends that you examine the details of the UCEAP Travel Insurance benefits and purchase additional property insurance coverage, especially to protect high cost items such as laptop computers, Smartphones, tablets, and other valuables. Review the policy carefully before departure and determine if it provides adequate coverage for your possessions before you experience a loss. 
If you decide to purchase supplemental personal property coverage, do so before departure and make sure that the coverage extends while traveling because most theft occurs in the airport or while moving into housing. The host university does not protect student belongings—even in university accommodations.
You are responsible for your own personal property. Use logical precautions to safeguard valuables from damage or theft by locking your room and securing currency, jewelry, passport, and other possessions. Avoid wearing expensive clothing or jewelry and going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Minimize your vulnerability by staying in control of your drinking and your behavior. Do not invite casual acquaintances or strangers home.
Return Transportation
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
It is important that you carefully read all of the information available in the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and discuss it with the person who will assist you with your finances while you are abroad.
Understanding your finances before, during, and after your program is crucial to having a successful time abroad. The following list outlines just a few of the many things you will need to know before departure.
Detailed information on the following topics can be found in the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad:
  • Contact information for finance questions
  • How to estimate the cost of your program
  • Budget instructions and information
  • Who Can and How to make payments to UCEAP
  • UCEAP student account information(what fees do I pay to UCEAP and what fees do I pay out of pocket?)
  • Banking before and after arrival
  • Fees and penalties
  • Loan information
  • How financial aid works while abroad (how do I get my financial aid from my home campus and how are my fees paid?)
  • Various forms (e.g., direct deposit, etc.)
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Your MyEAP Student Account is similar to your UC campus financial account. It will be available as soon as you are selected for your program in MyEAP. You can make payments through this account using e-checks or credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). The fees that you owe UCEAP will be applied to your account after your program pre-departure withdrawal date, which is listed in MyEAP. For the amount due to UCEAP prior to fees being posted on your account, refer to the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule located on the second page of your UCEAP Program Budget. Program fees are subject to change.
Carefully review your UCEAP Program Budget.
Your UCEAP Program Budget lists the fees you will pay to UCEAP and an estimate of the personal expenses you will need to plan for. It does not include the cost of recreational travel or personal entertainment. Review your UCEAP Program Budget frequently. The Payment Schedule is on the second page of the UCEAP Program Budget.


  • Download and print your UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule.
  • Note the deadlines on the Payment Schedule.
  • Give the UCEAP Program Budget and Payment Schedule to the person responsible for paying your UCEAP bills. Sign this person up for Third Party Authorization on MyEAP so they can make payments online.
For further information see the Money Matters chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and the Money Matters tab of your Participants Portal. If you will be receiving financial aid, see also the UCEAP Financial Assistance web page.

Refund of Credit balances and Financial Aid Disbursements:

If you are signed up for Direct Deposit on your UC campus, it is not linked to your MyEAP account. You must sign up for eRefund with UCEAP to receive direct deposits from your MyEAP account. For more information, see the UCEAP eRefund Instructions.
Handling Money Abroad


Neither Sweden nor Denmark use the euro, though they are both members of the European Union. Their national currencies remain in use, and they continue to be different in value from each other. Be sure to note the difference between the Swedish krona (SEK) and the Danish krone (DKK).
When writing numbers, commas and periods are reversed in Europe. For example, 1,00 is what Europeans would consider 1.00 and 1.000 is what Americans would consider 1,000.
You should take at least $150 and approximately SEK 1.500 in cash to Sweden for travel and arrival expenses. Once in Sweden, you can exchange money at FOREX, which is just across from the train station in Lund and is conveniently located in all major cities in Sweden, as well as in the train station in Copenhagen, Denmark.
You can exchange money at banks, foreign exchange offices, and airports. A passport is usually required when exchanging money. Avoid exchanging money at hotels and tourist shops, as the rates are less favorable.  


Checks are not used in Sweden. You can pay your bills at a Swedish bank or through the online banking function provided by a Swedish bank. To be able to do the latter, you need to establish a Swedish bank account.
If requested, the Lund Study Center will help you to establish a bank account after arrival in Sweden. You can then be issued an ATM  (Bankomat) card to access the account. The card can be used throughout Sweden. There is a small charge to set up an account, but no charge to make withdrawals, and the account bears slight interest.
You can order International Bank Transfers from your home account for deposit into the Swedish account for a fee.
Swedish banks are open Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Some offices have additional open hours. Banks are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.  


UCEAP students have been able to rely on ATM cards from their U.S. banks for handling money matters abroad. However, you are strongly advised to consult with your specific U.S. bank as to whether its ATM cards are valid in Scandinavia.
Your personal identification number (PIN) must have four digits. There will be limits on cash withdrawals per transaction, and there may be fees for each transaction. Inform your bank that you will be using your ATM card while abroad, and ask them about their international fees. 

Credit Cards

MasterCard, Visa, Diner’s Club, and American Express are widely accepted in hotels, restaurants, and shops in Sweden and throughout Europe. Check to see if your credit card charges foreign transaction fees. You may want to look into one that does not. Most credit card companies offer cash advances. Be sure to check on fees and interest rates before using this option; the rates are generally quite high. Be sure to inform your credit card company that you will be using your credit card abroad so they do not freeze your account.
Although it is advisable to take an extra credit card for emergencies, avoid taking too many. Carry only what is necessary.  
Communications Abroad
Internet Access


The Study Center will correspond with you through the e-mail address that you have entered in MyEAP. This will generally be your UC campus email address. You may want to open a web-based e-mail account, such as those provided by Gmail or another service provider, but remember to always check the e-mail account that you have provided in MyEAP.  

Computer & Internet Access

You are encouraged to bring your own laptop, if possible (as most classes will have paper assignments)—but check first to see if your computer is compatible with the European 220V electric current. UCEAP insurance provides a personal property benefit, which includes coverage for laptop theft; however, it is your responsibility to review the details of this coverage to make sure it is enough to cover your laptop. Information is available in the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy Brochure. You may determine that you need additional insurance to cover your laptop.
There is Internet access in the dorms, and you can purchase Internet service for an extra fee of approximately U.S. $10 to $35 per month, depending on bandwidth and the company you choose as your Internet provider. Information on how to open an account will be available upon arrival in Lund. A network card and cable are needed.
Wireless Internet access can be found in various hot spots around Lund, including the Café Aten in the Student Union (AF) building. There are computers at Internet cafés and at the university and public libraries.
Most academic departments have computer centers, but these are not normally available until the academic term begins. Computers in the academic department’s computer centers are Windows-based PCs.
During the summer language and culture program, you can use computers at the Folkuniversitetet (where the language courses are given) to send or receive e-mail.  
It is best to have a cell phone while abroad. You can use your own unlocked cell phone, purchase a prepaid Swedish SIM card/phone, or open an account with one of the telephone companies in Sweden. Some stores (Phone House, Elgiganten, etc.) offer phones through most of the common carriers (Telia, Tele2/Comviq, Telenor).
Due to the increased use of cell phones, there are very few public telephones left in Lund, and these are usually found at train and bus stations. Plastic cards, available at tobacco shops, news shops and grocery stores can be used to operate the few remaining public phones.
One of the most popular means of communication when calling internationally is using the Internet to make phone calls at an inexpensive rate. Students with smart phones often use apps such as Skype, Facetime, and Facebook Messenger to video chat with friends and family back home. In addition, SkypeOut is a Skype service through which you or your parents can charge the account to make calls to regular landlines and cell phones. Google Voice is another option for Internet calls with competitive rates. You are advised to buy a headset in the U.S., where electronics generally cost less. 
Mail & Shipments

Mail and Packages


Do not have packages or luggage sent to the UCEAP Study Center.
You can have your mail sent to your dormitory address.
The Study Center cannot receive packages at any time. Packages must be sent to your individual dorm address, which will not be known until after your arrival in Lund.
Post offices in Sweden are often found in supermarkets. There are also larger postal stations for picking up oversized/heavy shipments. You can pick up packages at these locations, which are usually open every day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Summer Language & Culture
Due to the short-term nature of the summer program, do not plan to receive packages from home while you are abroad. 


Try to avoid having additional items shipped to Sweden. If you do ship anything, packages should be sent to Sweden by regular mail after you have arrived in Lund. Do not declare a high value and have the sender write “Used Goods, for use while studying abroad” on the package. It might help with customs charges, but there are no guarantees.
Be aware that many shipping quotes do not include charges for customs, handling, and forwarding when the shipment arrives in Sweden.  
Housing & Meals

How to Secure Your Housing

You must apply for housing online. You will be notified via email when the Online Housing Application is available. Specific instructions regarding the application are included in your online Pre-Departure Checklist (PDC). 
Make sure to list your housing preferences on the Online Housing Application. Lund University Accomodation (LUACC) has a limited number of rooms assigned for international students. As a UCEAP student you are guaranteed housing, but if you delay your housing application by not following instructions regarding the application, you will lose your housing.
Carefully read all information on housing options on the LU Accommodation website. The site provides detailed information about all of the housing options, and there is a map so that you can see where they are located. You are to rank three preferences. Note that “International corridor” means exchange students only. Previous UCEAP students have lived in Delphi, Sparta, Vildanden, Ulrikedal and Parantesen dorms and have been happy with these accommodations. Housing is an individual choice, so choose according to your own preferences.
Following the application deadline, you will receive an e-mail* asking you to log on to your LUACC online housing account (that you will create when you apply for housing) to view your room offer. You are asked to accept or decline the offer and to pay the deposit. Please note that the housing offer is only available to you during a limited time period (usually 7 days) and if you do not accept the offer before the deadline, it will be offered to another applicant and your housing application will be rejected.
*These emails often end up in spam and junk folders. Therefore you should check your online housing account at least once or twice a week to see if you have received a room offer. It can take several weeks to receive a housing offer. Please be patient. You will need to respond immediately when you do receive your housing offer.
Check your e-mail and housing account often so as not to miss the instructions and payment deadline to hold your room reservation. 


The dormitory rooms are located in modern student housing complexes that are mostly owned and operated by the Student Association. UCEAP students are assigned to single rooms situated on a corridor of 10 to 12 rooms, where you will live among Swedish and other international students. Each room has its own bed, dresser, desk and chair, bookshelf, lighting fixture, and armchair. Most rooms have their own toilet, shower, and sink.
You need to obtain your own bedding (sheets, pillowcases, pillow and blanket), towels and shower curtain. Rather than shipping or bringing supplies from home, plan to purchase everything abroad. There are discount stores in Lund that carry these supplies at a relatively inexpensive cost. You may be able to buy some of these items from LUACC.
Rent includes electricity and heat, as well as use of kitchen and laundry facilities.
The hallway connecting student rooms is called a corridor (korridor in Swedish). You will share a kitchen area and living room with the other students on your corridor. The kitchen is equipped with standard cooking facilities, including a microwave oven, toaster, pots and pans, and a TV. They normally have a good supply of kitchen utensils for preparing basic meals. Supermarkets are located close to all student housing areas.
Cleaning and upkeep of your room is your responsibility. Cleaning and upkeep of the common areas in the corridor, such as the kitchen and living room, is shared between the tenants.
Your room will be inspected after your departure and if it is not found in good order, or if there are damages, you will be charged for the cleaning and/or repair.
Most student dorms are approximately a 5-20 minute walk from most university classes and from the center of Lund. You can walk, cycle, or take buses. Most students acquire bikes, which cost between SEK400 and 1.500. UCEAP recommends that you purchase a good lock for your bike. Efficient and relatively inexpensive bus service runs to all areas of the city. You can get an unlimited-use monthly Lund bus ticket for approximately SEK400. Prices vary depending on the type of ticket.
Students living in the university dormitories at Lund may have guests, both day and overnight, for one to two days at a time.  

Housing Costs 

Refer to the UCEAP Student Budget for housing cost estimates. You will also receive the accommodation cost and payment deadline information from LUACC in their reservation confirmation e-mail. Rental costs will vary. The variations do not necessarily relate to size or standard.
Often there is a “corridor fee” of about SEK 100–250 per semester for purchasing common cleaning supplies, etc.
Students living on the corridor may agree to share the costs of the supplies, TV, or other items. You will be expected to share in the expense even if you do not use the items.  

Housing Payments  

All students must make the housing payments directly to LUACC per their payment instructions. If you are on financial aid, you still have to pay your housing costs to LUACC by the housing payment deadline, even if you have not received your financial aid disbursement by that time. Plan ahead for this!

You are responsible for making room and board payments directly to LUACC. After you electronically submit your housing application, you must continue to monitor your LUACC online housing account (that you will create when you apply for housing) for confirmation that a room has been reserved for you. Your account will also list the deposit and first housing payment deadline. In order to keep this reservation, you must pay for the room by the housing payment deadline indicated. It is your responsibility to make sure that the payment is made on time. You will not be sent reminders. You must make at least one payment in advance.
Financial Aid Students: Financial aid recipients must also pay the housing fee out-of pocket at this time. It will be prior to your financial aid disbursement, so plan ahead!
Meals are not included in the rent. You will prepare your own meals in the common corridor kitchen—see Accommodations above for a description of kitchen supplies. There are well-stocked markets close to all student housing areas.
You may also eat at the many cafeterias and restaurants in various parts of Lund where the price of a midday meal is about
SEK80. Restaurant prices are generally two to three times this amount in the evenings. Expect your monthly food budget to be higher than what you are used to spending in the U.S. as grocery costs in Sweden are high—about one and a half times higher than in the U.S. Refer to the UCEAP Student Budget for estimated costs for food and meals.
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.

Regional Travel Concerns

On Feb. 1, EU envoys agreed to extend the current emergency border controls within the Schengen zone for a further three months until at least May 2017. The decision was taken in response to the continuing migration crisis in the region, and to ensure the security of EU countries with external borders. The extension will affect ongoing security measures in Austria, Denmark, Germany, Norway, and Sweden. Existing emergency security measures consist primarily of verification of
identification and travel documents, and could prompt intermittent cross-border transport disruptions. Vehicle inspections are also common; trucks and larger vehicles are often subject to increased scrutiny, possibly leading to longer delays for commercial traffic. Passengers on international flights, ferries, and train services may be asked to present proper identification before boarding. International freight rail routes are largely unaffected by increased security measures, though disruptions cannot be ruled out.​

Consult local sources for updated information on the exact locations and timing of security checkpoints; plan alternate routes to avoid serious traffic bottlenecks and transport delays. Ensure that all identification and travel documents are in order, and be prepared to produce for them for immigration officers if crossing international borders. Confirm bus, ferry, and rail schedules, as border controls may lead to unforeseen delays at international crossings. 

Public Transportation in Lund 

Swedish public transportation, including bus, train, and airplane service, is quite good throughout the country. Transportation within Lund is fairly inexpensive. You can obtain a monthly bus pass, which offers unlimited travel for about SEK400 (summer students can obtain a summer bus pass for around SEK500 that offers travel throughout the southern region). The classrooms are within 20 minutes walking distance from the dorms.
Lund is an ideal cycling environment with special bike paths and few hills. Most students buy used bikes shortly after arrival, or rent bikes for the summer. A bike costs between SEK400 and 1.500. If you wait too long, the market for used bikes can be exhausted, since they are in demand by Swedish students as well. Use a bike helmet and obtain a good lock for your bike. Bikes can be parked only at designated stands and cannot be kept in the dorm corridors.  

Travel during the Program

Familiarize yourself with the UCEAP Student Travel Policy, which prohibits travel to places identified by the U.S. Department of State as ones to be avoided for safety reasons.
While travel opportunities may be tempting, do not allow your travels to interfere with coursework or needed study time. Opportunities for travel are plentiful and UCEAP does not wish to discourage you from taking advantage of them. However, it is expected that you will attend all class sessions and adhere to your program’s absentee policy at all times. As stipulated in the UCEAP Student Agreement, you must regularly attend all classes for which you are registered, and must conform to all applicable rules.
Failure to abide by the UCEAP travel guidelines or the Student Agreement is cause for dismissal from the program.


Most students travel to Stockholm during the year, either in a group or independently. UCEAP participants recommend visiting the Stockholm Town Hall, the 17th-century Vasa Ship Museum, the Skansen open-air museum, and the Royal Palace. The main shopping district in Stockholm is Hamngatan, with stores like NK, Åhlens, and PUB. Cellar restaurants are a feature of Gamla Stan, the Old Town area that dates to the 1200s and has vaulted brick ceilings and plenty of atmosphere. Zum Franziskaner is one of the oldest of the cellar restaurants and features traditional foods. The historical Kristina is noted for fine food as well.


Travel between Lund and Copenhagen takes about an hour by train. Copenhagen is one of the major cultural centers of Europe, and has a rich variety of classical and contemporary music, museums, cinemas, theater, and ballet. The famous Tivoli Gardens in the center of Copenhagen attracts visitors from all over the world to its concert hall, open-air performances, elaborate fireworks, and amusement park rides. Stroget and Kobmagergade are two walking streets with shops and restaurants of all kinds. Other notable attractions include Christiansborg Palace, which houses the Danish Parliament; the Round Tower, which gives a superb view of the city; and Amalienborg, the Queen’s palace where the changing of the guard takes place every day at noon. Two magnificent castles are within a half hour by train from Copenhagen: Fredricksborg (the Danish Versailles) and Kronborg (Hamlet’s castle).
Students also sometimes purchase Eurail and InterRail passes. We recommend that you purchase Eurail passes from the U.S. before departure, even though they do ship overseas or you could find certain combination available for purchase in train stations abroad. You can select the length of time and travel zones for which the pass will be valid. After residing abroad for six months, you will be eligible to buy the InterRail pass, which is cheaper than the Eurail pass. You can choose an InterRail ticket that is good for travel in one country, or purchase a “Global Pass” that is valid for travel in 30 European countries and provides up to a month of unlimited train (and sometimes bus and ferry) travel outside of Sweden. Visit the Eurail and InterRail websites for more information. 

Travel Resources

There are many excellent travel books about Sweden and surrounding areas. Past students have found the following guides to be particularly useful: Lonely Planet’s Shoestring Guide for Scandinavian and Baltic Europe; Frommer’s Scandinavia; The Rough Guide to Sweden; The Rough Guide to Stockholm; and Lonely Planet’s Guide to Sweden.
Extracurricular Activities

Get Involved

Participating in extracurricular cultural and social activities while on UCEAP is an excellent way to meet people, improve language skills, and integrate more fully into the community.
As at any large university, social life varies, but tends to offer something for everyone. There are regularly scheduled dances and private parties for weekend recreation, and many opportunities exist. Join clubs, sports, special interest groups, musical, theater, or arts groups; volunteer at local organizations, attend lectures and receptions held in academic and community circles, request a mentor, and get the most out of your time abroad.
The city of Lund is known as a major center for culture in Sweden. There are many cultural and social events open to students year-round. Participating in these events is a good way to meet other students at Lund University and to learn about Lund and Sweden. You can learn about excursions within Sweden as well as organized trips to other European countries posted at the student union, Nations, and the international student offices. The Study Center also has information about these current events and cultural activities.
Lund has an outstanding concert program featuring international artists. There are also a number of excellent museums and a cultural center, Kulturen, which is justifiably famous for its activities. Malmö has its own symphony orchestra, a music center, and a fine-art gallery and museum. Copenhagen, which is less than one hour away by train, offers a rich variety of classical and popular music, theater, and ballet, as well as superb museums.  

Student Union

The university has a student organization, the Studentkår, which works to improve student life. The student union building, called Akademiska Föreningen, is the social center for many Lund students.


Swedes in general are very sports-minded people. Lund has an extensive program of intramural sports at Gerdahallen (a large university gym with an amazing schedule of classes) and Viktoriastadion. Soccer, basketball, swimming, volleyball, squash, and cross-country running are popular. The Lund city pool is called Högevallsbadet. You are encouraged to join a team. If you plan to participate in sports, pack athletic clothes. There is a fee for participation in most sports.  Although there is no downhill skiing in the immediate vicinity of Lund, great ski opportunities exist in middle and northern Sweden.

The Nations

Students at Lund University belong to a student organizational unit known as a Nation. There is no pressure to be actively involved with a Nation but it is a great way to meet Swedish and international students. There are 13 of these social groups, each representing a different area of Sweden (Helsingkrona Nation, Smålands Nation, Lunds Nation, etc.). In earlier times, each Nation was made up of students from that particular area of Sweden. Now, however, there is a mixture of international students and students from all parts of Sweden in each Nation. Throughout the term each Nation offers social events, courses, excursions, and entertainment. Activities are open to both members and nonmembers and are an excellent means for making social contacts and joining activities.
Nations also offer social services of various kinds. They have their own residence halls. Some UCEAP students have even found housing in dormitory space provided in Nation houses during the spring term. Most Nation houses have “pubs,” which are very popular. Nations present a number of opportunities, from working at their social events to writing for their newspapers and working with student TV and radio stations. You can visit the Nation offices for information about activities. Office hours may vary, but most open at noon, Monday through Friday.

Excursions and Events

The programs in Sweden offer opportunities to participate in a number of excursions offered through Lund University. Plan to take part in the various activities available in order to gain knowledge of Sweden and the region. The UC Study Center also coordinates some social events.
Students with Disabilities
Accessibility to public facilities and transportation in Sweden is good, particularly in newer buildings and the public transportation systems. The Swedish government continues to implement improvements throughout the city. The government actively implements and funds programs promoting disability access to streets, public buildings, stores, restaurants, and public transportation.
The UC Study Center is on the ground floor, accessible by a ramp and with electronically opening doors. Not all university offices are on the ground floor, although many buildings have ramps and elevators. There are also some classrooms and living quarters that are designed to be accessible.
Lund is relatively flat, and that is an advantage. On the other hand, the streets are almost 100 percent cobblestone, and this can create difficulty for students with mobility disabilities. Stores frequently have steps at their entrances, which makes access complicated. However, buses, trains, and train stations all have ramps, elevators, or even air-inflatable platforms for individuals in wheelchairs.
Given proper notice, UCEAP will help students with disabilities with note takers, mentors, sign language specialists, and other personal assistants. Contact your Program Specialist immediately to request special accommodations and to make payment arrangements. A letter from your UC Campus DSO is required.
To receive support from the Accessibility Office at Lund Univesity, you must have a certificate stating that your disability is long-term or permanent.  For additional information about support and assistance to students with disabilities, contact the Lund University Accessibility Office at the following address:
Pedagogiska stödåtgärder, Student och utbildning
Lunds Universitet
Box 117
221 00 Lund
Phone: 046-22-20-000 (university switchboard)
For more information:
Travel Sign-out Form

Leaving your host city for more than 24 hours?

You are required to complete the online sign out through your MyEAP account. 
Click on Travel Signout and complete all required fields. During an emergency (abroad or in the U.S.), it is important for UCEAP officials to know how to reach you so we can help you. 
The UCEAP program budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Working Abroad


Lund University offers an International Mentor Programme to help introduce newly-arrived international students to various student activities and everyday Swedish living. The mentor groups consist of three or four Swedish students and 15–20 international students. The Mentor Programme is a great way for you to make some new Swedish and international friends.

Working Abroad

Students with a residence permit are allowed to work in Sweden. Past students have worked in the service industry; restaurants, hotels and stores, and also as English language tutors. Students have also worked for The Nations, usually for free food/drinks and/or entrance to events (see Nations information in the Extracurricular Activities section above). The Study Center does not assist students with finding employment.
LGBTIQ Students
​​LGBT individuals enjoy full rights and are protected by anti-discrimination laws. There are no legal or governmental impediments to the organization of LGBT events.
​For more information,
UCEAP Insurance

Know Before you Go

While abroad you are automatically covered by the UCEAP Travel Insurance Policy.  Coverage begins 14 days before the official start date of your UCEAP program term. Coverage ends 31 days after the official end of the UCEAP program term.
The UCEAP travel insurance does not include coverage for preventative care, checkups, and vaccinations. Read details in Benefits at a Glance. Familiarize yourself with the coverage, exclusions, and eligibility criteria. Your travel insurance policy number is ADDN 04834823.  It is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company.
There is no deductible or co-insurance but the travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis.  You can submit a claim for a refund consideration of covered expenses.  For more information about the medical claim proces or about non-medical claims.
Do not assume that if you seek medical care abroad for a covered illness or injury that the local hospital will bill your insurance.  Generally, hospitals around the world, including the US, do not bill insurance companies (unless there is a special arrangement with a local hospital in your UCEAP country).  It is your responsibility to inquire with the hospital, at the time of service, and make arrangements to pay any outstanding bills. Payment for medical services abroad is ultimately your responsibility.
For more information refer to your Pre-Departure Checklist, Insurance tab, or the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Insurance chapter.

For Questions about Coverage, Benefits and Claims Status

ACI at

UCEAP Insurance and claim forms:
Review the UCEAP Insurance Plan before departure. Under the terms of the policy, you must pay for medical services at the time they are rendered and file a claim to be reimbursed. Always get a receipt from the doctor or pharmacy. Itemized bills must be submitted with the claim form. Keep photocopies of all documentation you submit in case the claim gets lost in the mail. Claim forms are available on the Participants section of the UCEAP website.  If you have questions about benefits or the claims process contact ACI at
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
A high level of medical care comparable to that in other industrialized countries is available throughout the country. The majority of health care practitioners speak English.​
The Swedish medical system is state-run, so instead of visiting a local private general practitioner, you can visit a local medical center or clinic, called an " Akutmottagning" or "Vardcentral." You should be prepared to present your passport.
Physical Health
If you feel sick or have a medical emergency, seek medical attention immediately. Consult the Emergency Contact card given to you during orientation. There is a regional ER at the Lund University hospital and health clinics near the dorms.

To Make an Appointment with a Doctor or Nurse or If You Have a Medical Question

To find a Swedish Health Center (medical advice, book appointment with nurse/physician) close to you:
If you need a doctor in Lund after 5 p.m. or during the weekend: Call  046 - 275 19 00
Healthcare hotline for non-emergencies in Sweden:  Dial 1177 (service is free of charge).
The Study Center staff can help you make a doctor’s appointment, recommend a clinic to visit, and help you with the UCEAP insurance claim process. If arrangements need to be made with your professors due to extended absence from class, the Study Center may also be able to assist.
To obtain reimbursement through the UCEAP travel insurance, submit a completed claim form with itemized bills and receipts to  See detailed instructions in the UCEAP Insurance Claims Process.

Know Before you Go

Inform yourself before you travel.  Just as language and currency vary around the world, so does medical care.  Know what to do if you get sick.
Read the Health chapter of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad and your Program Guide for important information to plan for a healthy stay abroad.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Traveler's Health web page has important information about health risks present in the country where you will be studying.
Prescription Medications

Plan Ahead

Some medications that are commonly prescribed in the U.S. are controlled or illegal in Sweden (e.g., some ADHD medications that contain amphetamines). If you must carry more than a five-day supply of controlled drugs, you will require permission from Swedish authorities. The license will not be issued until permission has been granted. A minimum of 14 days’ notice is required for this process.
You must always be able to prove that the medicinal products have been legally obtained and are intended for your own personal use. Except for narcotic medication, you can bring medicinal products for personal use corresponding to a supply sufficient for three months. Special regulations apply for medicinal products classified as narcotics (see below).
Medications categorized as narcotics may only be brought into the country to cover your personal use for a maximum of five days, three weeks, or three months, depending on the classification by the Medical Products Agency in Sweden, and must be accompanied by a note from your medical doctor stating why you need them.
  • Class II and Class III narcotics may only be brought into Sweden to cover your personal use for a maximum of five days.
  • Medications categorized Class IV and Class V narcotics may be brought into the country to cover your personal use for three weeks. To find out the classification of your medication contact the Medical Products Agency in Sweden.

Mailing Medication to Sweden

 It is prohibited to import medicinal products for personal use by mail. They will be confiscated by customs.

Before you leave the US

Make sure the medication is legal in Sweden. Prescription medications may be taken in if intended for your own use. Narcotics used as medication may be taken in if intended for personal use for not more than five days, three weeks or three months depending on schedule. You must have a letter from your doctor indicating your diagnosis, treatment, and medication regimen.
Import restrictions apply to the following: narcotics, injection syringes, and controlled substances. For more information, access Tullverket, Sweden.
Syringes and needles
You may bring in syringes and needles (for personal use only) if you can certify that you need them by, for example, showing a letter from your doctor certifying the medical need. For more information, access Tullverket, Sweden.
Patrik Moberg
Medical Products Agency
Box 26, S-751 03
Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: 46 18 54 85 66
Fax: 46 18 17 46 00
Mental Health
Student Health counselling is available to all students at Lund University. The clinic has counselors, nurses, a physician, psychiatrist and psychologists.
For counseling and for treatment, contact Studenthalsan, the university-run health clinic (office hours: 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.):
Paradisgatan 5B, Lund
The UCEAP Travel Insurance policy covers outpatient visits as any other illness up to $500,000; there is no co-pay or deductible, and you can make an appointment with any doctor. Doctors, hospitals, and clinics will expect up-front payment. You can submit a claim for refund to the UCEAP insurance company.  Claims and receipts must be submitted to
Health Risks
Food Allergies
Students with severe food allergies should take precautions, as the cuisine may include ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis in those affected. A language barrier increases the risks associated with severe food allergies. 
Precautions to take include:
  • Research the local cuisine. Be aware that some popular local sauces may contain nuts.
  • Discuss the risks with your doctor six to eight weeks before departure to discuss your treatment plan while abroad.
  • Carry the medications you need to prevent an adverse reaction like antihistamines or epinephrine injectors with refills. Pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. Your medication must be in its original packaging, with your name.
  • Have a letter from your physician to present to airport security that states your need to have the epinephrine auto injector with you at all times.
  • Wear a medical alert bracelet or tag with instructions for assistance in both English and the local language. Wearing medical identification at all times can help should a life-threatening reaction occur.
  • Tell others about your food allergy.
  • Carry a card written in English and the local language explaining what foods cause allergies and possible reaction. Make several copies in case you lose one. Be sure to have a native speaker verify that you have written everything correctly.
For more information, read the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Health chapter, Allergies section.
Air Quality
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk

You play an active role in protecting your personal health, safety, and well-being. Consider an action plan.

With the right information - and by thinking ahead - everyone can play a part in minimizing or preventing personal risks. Take time to assess the risks, plan ahead to reduce them, and think how you would lessen the consequences if things go wrong. Start by outlining activities you plan to engage in through your program and/or during independent travel; label the risk and rate it based on the likelihood of harm and the severity of consequences. Consider measures you can take to reduce the severity and chance. Plan your itinerary carefully, let your friends and relatives know where you will be, and research the safest way to travel.
The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) has established policies and procedures and has contracted with emergency assistance and security providers, to help you minimize your risk exposure and enhance your safety. 
Be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate and unpredictable terrorist attacks, which make it impossible to protect yourself from. Remain vigilant in all public areas in your UCEAP city and country and wherever you travel. Many terrorist groups, seeking publicity for political causes within their own country or region, are not looking for student or higher education targets.

Terrorist attacks using vehicles are very hard to prevent and appear to be on the rise. If you are in a crowded public place, know how you can exit quickly, identify barriers or safe places where you can shelter-in-place, and watch out for any vehicles that appear to be going at very high speed.

Report anything suspicious to local authorities.  Read all security-related correspondence and advice from local staff.  Schedule direct flights, if possible.  Avoid stops in high-risk airports or areas. Minimize time spent in the public area of an airport, which is a less protected area.  Keep a mental note of safe havens, such as police stations, hotels, and hospitals. Have a plan for what you will do in the case of an emergency.  If you are ever caught in a situation where somebody starts shooting, follow the active shooter guidelines: drop to the floor, get down as low as possible, and hide if possible.  Cover yourself behind a solid object. Silence your phone. Do not move until the danger has passed.

Steps to manage or minimize risk and enhance your personal safety

  • Familiarize yourself with all UCEAP resources and emergency support services while on UCEAP.

  • Assess your surroundings.  Learn to recognize danger.
  • Remain aware at all times. Do not walk around talking on the phone or listening to music on your headphones.

  • When entering larger venues, always decide on a meeting place with those you are with just in case you get separated. Always identify possible exits.

  • Be attentive to what is unusual or threatening. Assess reasonable and safe options. Trust your "gut feelings"; if you feel threatened, act if safe to do so and leave the area immediately. Find somewhere more secure.
  • Research potential risks you can encounter before you travel. 
  • Increase your safety and reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime by staying on top of your drinking. Know your limits. In many countries beer, wine and liquor in some countries contains a higher alcohol content than similar products in the U.S. Know what you are drinking and how much alcohol it contains.
  • Practice the buddy system, which promotes safety.  This system helps ensure that you, and a partner, will look out for each other.  Choose your buddy wisely.  The ideal buddy should feel that the buddy system is very important. If you are having a problem, your buddy can help to alert others and get you to safety.
  • Have a communication plan. Who will you call on site if you are facing an emergency? Do your friends and relatives know how to reach you when you are traveling?
Register online with the U.S. embassy through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
Read the UCEAP the Guide to Study Abroad, Safety Chapter  for more information on how to prepare to have a safe experience and access the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for updated travel information.


As in many countries around the world, there is an overall threat of terrorism in Sweden. The Swedish government consdiers the threat level to be "medium."
There’s no requirement to carry your passport with you, but the police carry out ID checks. If you’re asked to show your ID and you don’t have a copy of your passport with you, the police may escort you to wherever your passport is being kept so that you can show it to them.
Stay informed and alert. The Swedish government keeps people informed about possible threats.
Crime & Prevention
Sweden, a stable and peaceful society, has a low crime rate with few incidents of violent crime. Petty theft and pick-pocketing happens, particularly in crowded places and train stations. Take the same security precautions that you would in any major city.
Racial tensions have increased in recent years, often involving immigrants from outside Europe—groups that make up more than 10 percent of the population—and members of white supremacist groups. Violent clashes are uncommon and usually do not affect visitors.
Safeguard your belongings from damage or theft by locking your dorm room (doors and windows) and properly securing money, computer, jewelry, passports, and other possessions.
Take reasonable precautions: avoid carrying valuables, wearing expensive clothing, or going to questionable parts of the city, especially at night or when alone. Be cautious about inviting casual acquaintances home.
Carry a copy of your passport biographical page at all times, along with emergency contact information for the U.S. Embassy and local police.
Safety issues will be discussed further at your orientation in Lund.  
Civil Unrest
Demonstrations take place throughout the year. Most demonstrations are planned and receive approval from police. On occasion, unscheduled demonstrations occur. These are usually small and do not last long. Authorities monitor the demonstrations on a regular basis.
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Sweden has excellent transportation infrastructure, and the major roads in and around urban areas are no exception.
Public transportation is the recommended method of travel. Passenger trains, intercity buses, and airplanes provide regular service over longer distances. Public transportation in urban centers includes buses, subways, trams, suburban trains, and taxis. Taxis are more expensive than in major U.S. cities. Most local residents use public transportation in Stockholm as parking can be hard to find and expensive. The bus, train, and subway systems are considered safe. Cyclists are common on many roads, especially in urban areas.
Cycling is a really good way to get around Lund. Pay attention to the information at the General Information Meeting about bike safety and road rules in Sweden. You will need a light on the front and back of your bike, by law. Exercise caution and learn the traffic rules for cycling.  For more information, refer to Local Transportation in this guide.
Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment
​​Every member of the UCEAP community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual violence and sexual harassment, retaliation, and other prohibited behavior (“Prohibited Conduct”) that violates law and/or University policy. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of Prohibited Conduct and will take appropriate action to prevent, to correct, and when necessary, to discipline behavior that violates this Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Report to the local
UCEAP staff and/or partners if you suspect one of these behaviors has occurred.
Fire Safety
Fire safety in Sweden is a strong priority for local governments. Sweden developed highly educated “fire engineers” to form a cadre for risk management and resource planning in local fire brigades. Fire safety heavily promotes the use of home smoke alarms.
Fire - Dial 112
Follow these general fire safety tips. Most college-related fires in the U.S. are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Educate yourself about fire safety standards in your UCEAP country. Fire safety standards differ drastically around the world.
  • Know where emergency exists are located and check whether exits are passable.
  • Know how to call the local fire department.
  • Do not stay in housing above the sixth floor so you are within range of most fire department rescue ladders.
  • Print and take with you the UCEAP brochure, Fire Safety 101 for Students.
  • Purchase and use a smoke detector. Before departure contact the Fire Safety Foundation. Choose from a variety of battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, including models with sealed, 10-year batteries. Once purchased, the alarms and a multilingual installation manual – written in English and the host country’s native language - will be shipped to the address where you are residing.
  • Have an escape plan and practice it.
  • Treat every smoke alarm activation as a likely fire and react quickly and safely to the alarm.
  • Check for fire hazards. Make sure exit routes are not blocked.
  • If you have a disability, alert others of the type of assistance you need to leave the building.
  • Refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, Fire Safety section for life-saving information.
UCEAP Contingency Planning
If a local situation requires increased caution or a program suspension and evacuation of participants, UCEAP will activate contingency plans. For security reasons, contingency plans are not public and cannot be shared with anyone except UCEAP officials.

Program Suspension Policy

If the U.S. Department of State or CDC issues a Travel Advisory after the start date of the program term, UCEAP may suspend the program. If time and local security conditions permit, UCEAP will consult with the UC Study Center Director, UC security provider, U.S. Embassy, U.S. Department of State regional and security analysts, other organizations that offer programs in the same country, and area experts to determine the appropriate timeframe for suspending the program and/or for the evacuation of the students from the host country.

Security Evacuation

The UCEAP required security evacuation will override any host institution, or local US Embassy evacuation on U.S. government-arranged flights, that require U.S. citizens to sign a promissory note with the government. The safe evacuation of UCEAP students, managed by UCEAP and its security providers, is covered by UCEAP itravel nsurance. UC students are required to follow UC safety directives in the event of an evacuation.
In An Emergency

What Is an Emergency?

An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The following are considered emergencies:
  • Any life/death situation
  • A traumatic event requiring immediate assistance
  • An arrest
  • Civil unrest or natural disaster in the host country

In an Emergency

Contact local emergency services first and then contact the following:

If you are in the U.S.

  • During office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific Time): Contact your Program Specialist at the UCEAP Systemwide Office at (805) 893-4762.
  • After office hours: Call the 24-hour emergency phone numbers at (805) 893-4762 or (805) 882-2086.
If you are abroad
Carry the local emergency contact information at all times:
  • If you need immediate emergency assistance, call 112 for Police, Ambulance, or Fire Department
  • If necessary, call the U.S. embassy in Stockholm emergency number: 0 8 783 53 00
Lund University Security Control Center
To contact a security officer or the University’s on-call staff, call (011-46) 46 222 07 00 

U.S. Embassy in Stockholm

Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: (+46) 0 8 783 53 00
Fax: (+46) 0 8 661 19 64
Business hours: M-F 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
After-Hours Emergency Phone: (011-46) (0) 8 783 53 00 
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.