Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Add 8 hours
International Summer School, Pembroke / King's College, Univ. of Cambridge
This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network



Pembroke/King’s College, University of Cambridge

UCEAP works with the University of Cambridge Pembroke/King’s College International Programmes (PKP) to customize an eight-week summer program for UCEAP students. The director of Pembroke/King’s College International courses schedules classes and assigns faculty members according to the courses chosen (during the application process) by each year’s group of UCEAP students.
Pembroke/King’s College International Programmes also handles the logistical side of the academic program, providing prearranged housing. The summer school office is open year-round. The housing and classrooms may be in different Cambridge colleges each year. The summer school may have a secondary office only for UCEAP students as well.
Student Mailing Address
Student Name
c/o Pembroke/King’s Programme
King’s College
Cambridge CB2 1ST
Academic Information
Program Overview
You will enroll in three of over 45 courses offered during the eight-week program. The program is divided into three modules. You attend classes for the full eight weeks. The intensive courses are taught by British faculty with the same styles, formats, and expectations as other Cambridge college courses. Instruction takes place on the King’s College campus. Active participation and attendance is mandatory in all classes. There is a strict policy on absences and tardiness. You must take midterm and final exams as well as complete all required coursework and essays.
Academic Culture
Course Information
You are required to take a full-time course of study while on UCEAP and enroll in a minimum of 15 UC quarter units. You may take one course P/NP.
Each course is worth 5 UC quarter units and is based on 12 lectures and 8 seminars, with each teaching session lasting 1¼ hours. Some courses take place over four weeks (Module 1 in July, and Module 2 in August) while other courses are spread over the full eight weeks of the program (Module 3). Supervisions count as Module 3. For most purposes, lecture groups are capped at 30 and seminars at 15 to ensure that students have the opportunity to be heard and to get to know their instructors - and vice versa - well. Assessment is usually based upon the final paper, final exam, and student participation.
You are free to mix and match courses organized in the following subject groups: Writing; Sciences; Economics and Finance; Business and Management; History; English Literature and Linguistics; Law; Education and Anthropology; Philosophy; History of Art, Architecture, and Film; Art; and International Relations.
You may select your three courses based on one of the following course combinations:
  • One Module 3 course, one Module 1 course and one Module 2 course
  • Two Module 3 courses and one Module 1 or Module 2 course
  • Two Module 1 courses and one Module 2 course
  • One Module 1 course and two Module 2 courses
  • Three Module 3 courses.  

For the most up-to-date course offerings, refer to the Pembroke/King’s College website.


In addition to registering at Pembroke/King’s College, you must submit a MyEAP Registration Study List. If you make any changes in your Pembroke/ King’s College registration (allowed on a limited basis during the first three days of each module only), you are responsible for making sure that your MyEAP Study List is correct, as it determines what will appear on your UC transcript.

Supervisions: Special Study Projects

The supervision system (one-on-one or small-group teaching) is one of the key strengths and advantages of the Cambridge undergraduate teaching system. Supervisions, similar to an independent study at UC, are both academically demanding and rewarding, and best for students with a significant amount of initiative and enthusiasm for the subject they intend to study. Supervised study is especially popular among students working towards a thesis.
Supervision is modeled after the unique Cambridge/Oxford way of teaching that involves a minimum of contact hours but a very flexible student effort. The reward of supervision is intellectual and experiential, and you earn 5 UC quarter units independent of how many hours you might spend researching a topic beyond what is required. Supervision is a great way for you to get a taste of independent learning you would probably not encounter in the U.S. until graduate school. 
You may submit a proposal to replace one course with a supervision in which you develop your own proposal in a subject area of your choice. If you are interested in doing a supervision, follow the instructions and meet the proposal submission deadlines in your acceptance e-mail from PKP to add this extraordinary opportunity to your Pembroke/King’s College registration.

NOTE:  You will also need to complete the UCEAP Special Study Project form, including proposal details and approvals for your supervision, in order to add your supervision to your MyEAP Registration Study List.
Read more about supervision, including sample supervision proposals students in 2012 worked on.

Plenary Lectures

Another unique feature of the Pembroke/King’s College program is a series of plenary lectures in the evenings, which supplement and enhance the academic experience. These talks are followed by drinks and an informal question and answer session, and are open to all Pembroke/King’s College students. In 2012 the following talks were given:
  • The Secret State (Lord Hennessy)
  • The Mexican Revolution 1910-1940 (Professor David Brading, Cambridge University)
  • The Olympic Idea: Values/Politics, Ideology/Rhetoric, Universal Currency (Professor Alan Tomlinson, University of Brighton; Professor Lincoln Allison, Emeritus Reader in Politics at the University of Warwick and Visiting Professor in sport and leisure at the University of Brighton and Cath Bishop, Athens Olympic Games silver medallist)
  • Fraud in Science (Professor Anthony Segal, University College London)
  • Why is Cambridge Unique? (Professor Jonathan Steinberg, University of Pennsylvania)
  • In Search of Ted Hughes (Dr Mark Wormald, Senior Tutor Pembroke College)
  • A Close Run Thing: Reviewing the Cuban Missile Crisis 50 Years On (Professor Chris Andrew, University of Cambridge
  • Bismark and the Arab Spring (Professor Jonathan Steinberg, University of Pennsylvania)
  • Children and War (Richard Clarke, Director of Child Soldiers International and Piya Muqit, Senior Legal Advisor to the Freedom from Torture Foundation)
Internships for academic credit or enrichment are not available in this program.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Recommended Reading
British University Life
American universities and their counterparts in the United Kingdom are very different. These books will give you an idea of what life is like at a British university.
Amis, Kingsley Lucky Jim, New York: Penguin, 1974.
Snow, C. P. The Masters, New York: Scribner, 1951.
Novels Relevant to California Students
Are you intrigued by differences between Americans and the British? These books offer a look into Britain’s academia and society, often from an American perspective.
Bradbury, Malcolm The History Man, New York: Penguin, 1985;
Eating People Is Wrong, London: Secker & Warburg, 1959.
Fielding, Helen Bridget Jones’s Diary, New York: Penguin, 1999.
Hornby, Nick Fever Pitch, New York: Riverhead, 1998.
Lodge, David Changing Places: A Tale of Two Campuses, London: Secker & Warburg, 1975;
Small World, New York: Penguin, 1995;
Nice Work, New York: Penguin, 1990.
North, Freya Polly, Ullstein TB, 2001; Sally, Heinemann, 1996.
Social Conduct
Drinking and Smoking
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation
Pembroke/King’s College
The Pembroke/King’s College summer orientation includes a walking tour of the university and the center of Cambridge and a comprehensive packet of information. You will receive a “swipe” card to access the gym, library, computer lab, and all other facilities at the appropriate college. You will have the opportunity to visit Ely Cathedral and punt on the River Cam. There will be a four-day trip to Scotland during the first week. A trip to London is scheduled to take place later in the program, including a play at the Globe Theater and visits to various museums. The cost of the trips to Scotland and London is included in the UCEAP fees.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Travel Documents
Packing Tips
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Return Travel
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget
Handling Money Abroad
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Mail & Shipments
Housing & Meals
Housing & Meals
Housing Q & A
Q: What kind of housing is available?
A: You are required to live in a college residence for the eight-week summer program. The housing may be in King’s College, Pembroke College, or another Cambridge College. All accommodations are within 5-25 minutes’ walking distance of each other and the classrooms. Bedrooms are single, with central heating, either private or shared bathrooms, and a complete set of bedding.
All housing is equally nice, centrally located, and conveniently situated, but not identical. All rooms have Internet connections and shared kitchens. There will be differences in room size, amenities, and view. Some rooms are located in historic, centuries-old stone buildings. You will choose your housing online after acceptance by Pembroke/King’s College; their website has room descriptions and prices. There are several price ranges; however, the number of rooms in each range is limited, so availability is first-come, first-served.
Housing costs must be paid in full by you directly to Pembroke/King’s College before you can register for classes.
Q: What about meals?
A: You will be issued a “swipe” card credited with a food allowance to cover approximately ten light meals per week. Meals are available Monday through Friday and on Sunday. Any unused amount is nonrefundable. Formal dinners will be held several times, reflecting old college tradition. Summer program lecturers and Cambridge student assistants will attend the dinner. Dress is semiformal at the dinner; jeans or sneakers are not allowed, but suits are not required for men.
Q: Will there be computer and phone access?
A: The computer lab is open 24/7. Laptops are strongly recommended; you will also have access to a printer.
There are no phones in the rooms. You can lease a “pay as you talk” cell phone. The cell phones work in conjunction with phone cards, which you purchase locally as needed. Your deposit is returned upon return of the cell phone.
Q: What else should I know?
A: Students from other U.S. colleges and other countries will also be participating in the Pembroke/King’s College summer program. They will be in your classes and will add a different perspective to the international experience. Also, some U.K. and international graduate students will be living in Cambridge during the summer, so you will be able to make a variety of acquaintances in addition to students you meet from the U.S. A dozen British Program Assistants will be living with you, giving you more access to locals.
Depending on space availability, you may pay approximately $25 per night to remain on campus a few extra days after the program, but you may be assigned a different room.
You can leave luggage while traveling abroad after the program. However, luggage can be picked up on weekends only when porters are on duty, usually from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Q: What about students with dependents or traveling companions?
A: Students accompanied by a spouse and/or child(ren) may request a housing waiver. If granted, you are responsible to locate your own private housing and will still be charged 50% of the PKP accommodation fee (because that fee covers many other University of Cambridge privileges including a meal plan). Students accompanied by a traveling companion will be required to live in university housing while the traveling companion will need to locate his or her own private housing.
Withdrawal Policy
Pembroke/King’s College policy states that the Application Fee and the Accommodation Fee are not refundable at any time after application.
Accommodation for Students with Disabilities
Inform your host university of any needs so accommodation in services or housing can be made if at all possible. You must provide a letter from your UC campus Disabled Students Office requesting specific services. Accessible housing is available but needs to be reserved early. Professors will give extra time on exams if required. Note-takers are not available. You will need to borrow notes from your classmates or record the lectures (each professor’s permission must be obtained to record his or her lectures).
Accommodation for Students with Disabilities
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
Extracurricular Activities
Pembroke/King’s College, University of Cambridge
Program assistants who are British students organize daily activities from sports and cultural outings to picnics and barbecues. The events are optional but are the best way for you to become fully engaged in all the benefits of the program.
Optional side trips are also offered, accompanied by staff. Notice of these trips is posted during the program, and you must sign up by a deadline and pay directly for them. Past UCEAP participants praised these trips and suggest budgeting around $200 to take full advantage of all offerings.
Optional after-hours classes and weekly lectures are available at no cost, providing outstanding academic enrichment. The lectures are given by eminent specialists in their fields.
Students with Disabilities
Travel Sign-out Form
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Travel Within the United Kingdom
UCEAP Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
​A high level of medical care comparable to that in other industrialized countries is available throughout the country. Hospital treatment is free to people who ordinarily live in the United Kingdom. If you do not normally live in the UK for more than six months, you may be required to pay for any treatment you might need.  You are covered by UCEAP insurance.  For more information about UCEAP insurance, refer to the UCEAP website, Participants page, Insurance tab.
Before departure, review the U.S. CDC Travelers’ Health information website for specific health information for all your travel destinations.
Generally, you will need to see a GP (a General Practitioner) at a local office (or “surgery”). GPs are qualified doctors who can diagnose and treat a range of illnesses. They can also send patients to specialists who are trained to treat specific illnesses or conditions. Once you’re registered with a GP, you can make appointments to see them at the surgery. If a GP determines that you need medication, he/she will write a prescription, which you can have filled at a pharmacy (or “chemist”). The Study Center can recommend a clinic to visit, provide advice about the necessary UCEAP medical insurance claim process, and help if extended absences are expected.
Private Medical Care
You may choose where to obtain medical treatment as you have UCEAP medical insurance coverage.
Do not delay private medical care due to lack of funds, contact the UCEAP medical/emergency assistance provider, Europ Assistance/USA so they can refer you to a doctor and make arrangement for direct payment, if possible, through their local agents.
Wherever you go to receive care, you will be expected to pay up front or make arrangements with Europ Assistance to pay for medical services directly on your behalf or to arrange for an insurance claim refund.  You can call international collect the UC-dedicated phone line at 1+(202) 828-5896 or e-mail
Physical Health
Prescription Medication
Mental Health
The Pembroke/King’s College Student Health Service no longer provides psychological counseling to short-term international students, so you will need to make an appointment with a private psychologist or psychiatrist. Both the PKP Student Health Service and Europ Assistance (part of the UCEAP insurance coverage) can help you make an appointment. Europ Assistance can also help with transportation to the appointment and other assistance you might need in getting health care. Call Europ Assistance 24/7 international collect at 1+202-828-5896 or e-mail Identify yourself as a UCEAP student.
Health Risks
U.K. Health Care Glossary
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Emergency Response Services
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.