Navigate Up
Sign In
Travel Resources
Approx. Time Difference
Add 8 hours
International Summer School, Univ. of Sussex - Summer
This guide was created to help you navigate the different aspects of travelling abroad as a UCEAP student. All important aspects of attending university in your host country are addressed here, including academic information, extension of UCEAP participation, cultural awareness, orientation, transportation, finances and much more.
Remember to also visit the Participants section of the UCEAP website for important information and deadlines.
Click a heading below to see section content.
Your UCEAP Network

University of Sussex

The UCEAP Study Center works with the University of Sussex International Summer School to customize an eight-week summer program for UCEAP students. The director of the Sussex International Summer School schedules classes and assigns faculty members according to the courses chosen (during the application process) by each year’s group of UCEAP students. Sussex International Summer School also handles the logistical side of the academic program, providing prearranged housing.
Student Mailing Address
Student Name
c/o International Summer School
Jubilee Building
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9SL
Academic Information
Program Overview

University Information

The University of Sussex was founded in 1961 and has a beautiful parkland campus near the south coast city of Brighton & Hove, an area known for its cosmopolitan and relaxed atmosphere. Brighton is a great place to be a student. It is a lively, friendly, seaside city on the south coast of England, less than 10 minutes away from campus by train. There are excellent transport links to London (only 50 minutes from Brighton by train) and the major airports. On campus there are two sports complexes, a theater, shops, several bars, and a choice of self-service restaurants, including vegetarian.

Program Description

The program is divided into two 4-week sessions. You will enroll in one intensive course during each session, selecting from more than 80 courses spanning the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. Courses are taught by Sussex faculty members with the same styles, formats, and expectations as other Sussex courses. Active participation and attendance is mandatory for all classes during the term. There is a strict policy on absences and tardiness. You are required to take midterm and final exams, as well as complete all required course work and essays. UCEAP students must participate in both sessions.
Academic Culture
Course Information
You are required to take a full-time course of study while on UCEAP and enroll in a minimum of 12 UC quarter units. No courses may be taken P/NP.
Each course is worth 6 UC quarter units and may consist of lectures, tutorials, labs, seminars, workshops, and fieldwork opportunities. Level I courses will generally appear as lower division on the UC transcript, while Level II and III courses will typically translate to upper-division UC coursework.
Subject areas include anthropology, archaeology, art and architecture, biology, chemistry, creative writing, drama, economics, English, film studies, global studies, history, independent research, international relations, management studies, mathematics, media and popular culture, philosophy, physics, politics, psychology, and sociology.
Summer courses are outlined on the University of Sussex International Summer School website (select subject areas from the menu on the left side of the screen).


In addition to registering at Sussex, you must submit a MyEAP Registration Study List. If you make any changes in your Sussex registration, you are responsible for making sure that your MyEAP Study List is correct, as it determines what will appear on your UC transcript.

Independent Research Projects

Independent research projects for academic credit may be possible in this program. Special Study Projects must be taken for 5 UC quarter units. If you are interested in participating in an independent research project, e-mail a curriculum vitae and description of the proposed area of research to the International Summer School office ( before applying to the program.
Internships for academic credit or enrichment are not available in this program.


Lab Fees
If you register for science courses requiring a lab, you will be responsible for paying a materials fee directly to Sussex before departure from the U.S. as part of the registration process. Sussex will e-mail you instructions on how to register as a participant and how to pay any lab fees. If there is a fee, it will appear in the course listing on the Sussex website and in the Sussex Handbook. Lab materials fees are approximately £95 to £175, depending on the course. You will receive two or three reminders after arrival about any fees if you have not already paid them. It is your responsibility to respond to reminders and to pay your debts. Failure to pay lab fees may result in dismissal from the courses.
Field Trip Fees
Other non-science courses may have a field trip fee noted in the course listing on the Sussex website and in the Sussex Handbook. You are responsible to pay field trip fees directly to Sussex; fees range from approximately £20 to £120. You will receive two or three reminders after arrival about any field trip fees if you have not already paid them. It is your responsibility to respond to reminders and to pay your debts. Failure to pay field trip fees may result in dismissal from the courses.
Failure to pay lab or field trip fees may result in dismissal from the courses during the program itself. Further, if you complete the program with outstanding debts of any kind, either to Sussex or to UCEAP, your grades will not be sent to your UC registrar until you have paid all debts.
Extending UCEAP Participation
Cultural Awareness
Educate Yourself
Social Conduct
Drinking and Smoking
Official Start Date & Mandatory Orientation

Sussex Summer

The Sussex summer orientation begins on arrival day, when Sussex provides a free minibus service from the local Falmer railway station to the Reception Office. At the office, you will receive a comprehensive Welcome Pack and room and mailbox keys; staff will direct you to your accommodation. You then have the opportunity to join a guided campus tour and an accompanied supermarket trip. Within the Welcome Pack will be a Sussex Handbook, trip and travel information, a computer logon and password, and a registration ID swipe card to access the library and gym. The swipe card is also useful for obtaining discounts for local clubs, the cinema, and travel. The next morning, the UCEAP Program Officer will come to Sussex from the London Study Center to provide an EAP-specific orientation.  Sussex will continue their own orientation with informative welcome talks from the vice chancellor, the director of the summer school, and members of staff. Also included is a tour of the library and an IT briefing. Later, there is an optional day trip to London and the Tate Modern Gallery for a small additional cost (about $7), to be paid after arrival.
Travel Planning
Travel to Your Host Country
Travel Documents
Packing Tips
Insurance for Personal Possessions
Return Travel
Financial Information
Understanding Your Finances
Your MyEAP Account & Budget


Handling Money Abroad
Communications Abroad
Internet Access
Mail & Shipments
Housing & Meals
Housing Q & A
Q: What kind of housing is available?
A: You are required to live in a university dormitory for the eight-week summer program. All dorms are co-ed and self-catering, with shared kitchen and co-ed bathroom facilities. Sussex will provide a duvet, duvet cover, pillow, pillowcase, flat sheet, and towel. On-campus housing consists mainly of single study bedrooms, but there are some shared rooms.
All rooms have phones, but UCEAP participants report serious problems with the phone system. Sussex Summer School is aware of this problem and is working with the system provider. Inform the Summer School office if the phone in your room is not functioning properly.
Your UCEAP fees cover the cost of the pre-arranged housing. All students will be assigned to the new Northfield and Lewes Court 2 dorms. Some website maps are not yet showing the Northfield dorms, but they are beside the Lewes Court 2 dorms.
Q: What about meals?
A: Dorms are self-catering, which means you are expected to purchase and prepare your own food. UCEAP participants recommend learning to cook if necessary and bringing some dry, packaged foods with you (such as Ramen noodles) so you will have food immediately available. You can purchase groceries and prepared foods on campus, but note that most on-campus stores close at 4:30 p.m. and going into the city requires a long bus ride. Self-catering is the most inexpensive and healthy way to eat, but it can present some challenges, especially if you are not accustomed to cooking.
Q: How do I report complaints?
A: It is important to report complaints immediately. You may contact either the Sussex staff that will on be on site when you move into the dormitory, RAs, or the 24-hour security personnel, depending on the issue and timing. All students need to contribute their fair share towards keeping the dorm environment pleasant for everyone.
  • Report dirty or broken items immediately upon moving in (there is only a 24-hour turnaround between students moving out and summer students moving in).
  • Attend the “Kitchen Meeting” held by RAs for all students.
  • Agree with your dorm-mates on basic rules for living together and keeping your shared rooms in good condition.
  • Clean up after yourself; especially wash your own dishes after each use. 
  • Report any damage done by your dorm-mates immediately.
  • Keep doors locked. Report any thefts to RAs or security personnel.
  • Window screens are not in common use abroad. There are no screens on the dorm windows so be prepared for some insects to enter if windows are kept open for a long period of time.
  • Use the correct adapters for electric/electronic items to avoid tripped breakers or blown fuses.
  • Report unacceptably loud nighttime noise to security personnel, which includes a night porter.
Q: Are there computer facilities?
A: Sussex has three computing facilities that are open 24/7. Although York House is the facility nearest to your housing, there are newer and better computer facilities in the School of Biology and in the Physics Building.
Withdrawal Policy
The application fee of £150 is not refundable at any time after you apply to Sussex. Sussex Summer School must establish a firm and final list of participants in order to plan courses and arrange for classrooms and faculty. If you intend to withdraw, you must e-mail your intent to withdraw to, your Campus EAP Office, and Sussex will also charge one week’s housing fee for a withdrawal for any reason after June 1. Sussex will not refund any prorated amount (per four-week session) if you withdraw for any reason after the session has begun.
Accommodation for Students with Disabilities
Daily Life Abroad
Local Transportation
There is excellent bus and train service for easy access to surrounding areas, the city of Brighton, and London. You will receive further information during the Sussex Summer on-site orientation.
Extracurricular Activities
There are optional trips offered nearly every weekend. The trips are highly praised by UCEAP participants as an excellent value and a great way to meet other students. You must sign up and pay Sussex directly for each trip.

University of Sussex Facilities

Do not expect the kind of access you have at UC libraries because the Sussex library has shorter hours of operation. Also, summer maintenance may cause some sports facilities, such as the gym or weight room, to be unavailable at times during the eight-week program.
Students with Disabilities
Travel Sign-out Form
The UCEAP student budget does not include funds for recreational travel abroad.
Travel Within the United Kingdom
UCEAP Insurance
Staying Healthy
Local Medical Facilities
I​f you need private medical care, or simply want a second opinion, there is a private hospital near Sussex, in Woodingdean (an eastern suburb in Brighton), the Brighton Nuffield Hospital. T 01273 624488. They should have a referral from the campus practice, but they have proved flexible about this in the past. Usually the best option is to go first to the University Health Center. Although the Brighton Nuffield Hospital is not far away, the bus service is limited, and especially if you are sick so we would recommend a taxi. Note, however, that this hospital does not run an accident and emergency service. Alternatively you could contact the Sussex Medical Chambers in Hove. T 01273 430022 / E They offer a wide range of services and some local GPs practice there privately.
​A high level of medical care comparable to that in other industrialized countries is available throughout the country. Hospital treatment is free to people who ordinarily live in the United Kingdom. If you do not normally live in the UK for more than six months, you may be required to pay for any treatment you might need.  You are covered by UCEAP insurance.  For more information about UCEAP insurance, refer to the UCEAP website, Participants page, Insurance tab.
Before departure, review the U.S. CDC Travelers’ Health information website for specific health information for all your travel destinations.
Generally, you will need to see a GP (a General Practitioner) at a local office (or “surgery”). GPs are qualified doctors who can diagnose and treat a range of illnesses. They can also send patients to specialists who are trained to treat specific illnesses or conditions. Once you’re registered with a GP, you can make appointments to see them at the surgery. If a GP determines that you need medication, he/she will write a prescription, which you can have filled at a pharmacy (or “chemist”). The Study Center can recommend a clinic to visit, provide advice about the necessary UCEAP medical insurance claim process, and help if extended absences are expected.
Private Medical Care
You may choose where to obtain medical treatment as you have UCEAP medical insurance coverage.
Do not delay private medical care due to lack of funds, contact the UCEAP medical/emergency assistance provider, Europ Assistance/USA so they can refer you to a doctor and make arrangement for direct payment, if possible, through their local agents.
Wherever you go to receive care, you will be expected to pay up front or make arrangements with Europ Assistance to pay for medical services directly on your behalf or to arrange for an insurance claim refund.  You can call international collect the UC-dedicated phone line at 1+(202) 828-5896 or e-mail
Physical Health
Prescription Medication
Mental Health
Health Risks
U.K. Health Care Glossary
Staying Safe
Minimize Risk
Crime & Prevention
Civil Unrest
Traffic & Transportation Safety
Emergency Service Response
UCEAP Contingency Planning
Fire Safety
In An Emergency
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,* disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action office.

* Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.